Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Okay then... your thoughts?

Disgrace to the club. Should never play for us again.
      (6.5%)
      A flawed character. Club should punish him with heavy suspension but reiterate support.
      (65%)
      What's the problem?
      (28.5%)

What do you do with Suarez? Once bitten, twice shy.. (Now banned for 10 games)

Read 51617 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: What do you do with Suarez? Once bitten, twice shy.. (Now banned for 10 games)
      Reply #874: Apr 30, 2013 10:21:16 am
      Tomorrow night on BBC Radio 5 live they will have a programme on about Luis called 'what's eating Luis Suarez', I'm expecting a bit of a hatchet job although I did hear a sneak preview talking to an Ajax coach who said that at the end of the season when Luis left Ajax in January he received a call just before they played Twente in the league decider he received a call from Luis asking to talk to the Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen and proceeded to give him a team talk before the game and Ajax went on to win. I'm sure that bit will be edited out or stuck on at the beginning.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: What do you do with Suarez? Once bitten, twice shy.. (Now banned for 10 games)
      Reply #875: Apr 30, 2013 10:25:21 am
      Reading the comments made by Lucas in today's Echo, asking the fans to keep getting behind Luis  to ensure he stays, I get the impression he is at least contemplating F***ing off.

Lucas says he has been with him near enough everyday since the incident so for him to come out and plead suggests to me he might be thinking of going.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #876: Apr 30, 2013 10:53:26 am
      I have been a bit late to express my views on this issue but once again Luis has been let down very badly by the club. I hope he can hear the fans' backing and decides to carry on here because the club have certainly not provided him theirs. Why we decided to accept a 10 match ban which was condemned even by people outside the cub, so meekly is baffling. Though I don't care what other fans think of him. He was booed all over the country after the Evra issue but his football did all the talking and finally all the booing stopped. He is too tough a character to be fazed by all these issues but I am disappointed by the cowardice of our club's board.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #877: Apr 30, 2013 02:17:36 pm
      Reading the comments made by Lucas in today's Echo, asking the fans to keep getting behind Luis  to ensure he stays, I get the impression he is at least contemplating f**king off.

Lucas says he has been with him near enough everyday since the incident so for him to come out and plead suggests to me he might be thinking of going.

No one is irreplaceable but Luis is about the closest we would get. I would hope that he would understand that ultimately he owes it to us to stay. Yes the penalty was harsh, yes the media is making a huge deal of it, but Luis is ultimately still responsible for his behavior and he brought this on himself. Don't do stupid stuff and you won't have to worry about all that other crap.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #878: Apr 30, 2013 02:25:58 pm
      No one is irreplaceable but Luis is about the closest we would get. I would hope that he would understand that ultimately he owes it to us to stay. Yes the penalty was harsh, yes the media is making a huge deal of it, but Luis is ultimately still responsible for his behavior and he brought this on himself. Don't do stupid stuff and you won't have to worry about all that other crap.
      Why exactly does he 'owe it to us'?

Just curious, because if I were one of the worlds best footballers, at 26 years of age, at a mid-table club and had a whole nation against me, I wouldn't consider myself 'owing' anyone anything.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #879: Apr 30, 2013 02:27:13 pm
      I don't get this "he owes us to stay"
      He doesn't.. He needs to decide for himself but he doesn't owe us anything. We supported him through a lot, he has put in alot of great performances, yes he brought this on himself but what have we done to make him owe us? Have the club fought for him? Or have they accepted the outcome? Had we fought it and more games had been added then he would owe us I guess.. But we didn't, he got a suspension for doing something daft, many players do daft things. The club has fined him and accepted the ban.
      The concept he owes us I don't buy.

I want him to stay I hope he does and I think he will buy if he left I would understand..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #880: Apr 30, 2013 02:38:41 pm
      I don't get this "he owes us to stay"
      He doesn't.. He needs to decide for himself but he doesn't owe us anything. We supported him through a lot, he has put in alot of great performances, yes he brought this on himself but what have we done to make him owe us? Have the club fought for him? Or have they accepted the outcome? Had we fought it and more games had been added then he would owe us I guess.. But we didn't, he got a suspension for doing something daft, many players do daft things. The club has fined him and accepted the ban.
      The concept he owes us I don't buy.

I want him to stay I hope he does and I think he will buy if he left I would understand..

In my opinion he owes us because he has put us through a lot with some of his petulance and bad decision making. Not even mentioning the number of times he has said he loves the city and loves the support he receives. You don't hold the same opinion...that's fine. Not too worried about it.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #881: Apr 30, 2013 03:19:52 pm
      In my opinion he owes us because he has put us through a lot with some of his petulance and bad decision making. Not even mentioning the number of times he has said he loves the city and loves the support he receives. You don't hold the same opinion...that's fine. Not too worried about it.

We don't have to agree to chat FL mate.. I respect your view and I can understand it.. I was just coming back on it saying I don't share it..

We knew his character when we signed him.. He has paid us plenty with good performances, we haven't gone to the beyond to stick our neck out for him..
      That's great he love where he lives and the fans but I'm just saying I don't think he owes us and he should feel he has to stay.
      I want him to stay because he wants to not because he feels he has to
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #882: Apr 30, 2013 03:35:24 pm

We don't have to agree to chat FL mate.. I respect your view and I can understand it.. I was just coming back on it saying I don't share it..

We knew his character when we signed him.. He has paid us plenty with good performances, we haven't gone to the beyond to stick our neck out for him..
      That's great he love where he lives and the fans but I'm just saying I don't think he owes us and he should feel he has to stay.
      I want him to stay because he wants to not because he feels he has to

I have always viewed him as a loyal character, maybe I've misread him, but if I've not, then loyalty should be enough for him to stay and want to fight on at our club.

I just look at myself, if I let someone down with my behavior, I feel like I owe it to that person (if I care about them or respect them) to make it up to them or to make amends.

The club rewarded him with a very handsom new contract and bonuses if I'm not mistaken which to me is a sign of support, Brendan always talks about how we need him, and sticks up for him when he feels the refs or media are after him. If it were me, I just feel like I would take all that into consideration and work even harder to prove myself and to make amends. Maybe that's where I've made a mistake is trying to impart my personal feelings and values on to someone else.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #883: Apr 30, 2013 03:43:23 pm
      I would entirely agree with what you would do.. I would feel the same as well.

But a feeling of loyalty is different to feeling of owing them, more being emotionally blackmailed than feeling loyalty towards them.

As I've said I think he will stay and I feel he is loyal towards us but it's a short career they have and he is 27 next birthday, if we don't match his goals as a club as he is one of the top players in the world we can't expect him to stay at a mid table club with no European football for too long..

The new contract wasn't just for him, it's to protect an investment.. Yes he got a pay rise but he deserves that from what he was on comparatively to other players of his level, but also that if he does leave his value will be higher by being tied to a deal that takes him to touching 30.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #884: Apr 30, 2013 04:18:48 pm
      The majority of us want Luis to stay of that there is little doubt.
      Should he leave however the club in a material sense is in a win-win situation; if there is any reservation concerning that scenario it will be the concern of those of us who consider the post Suarez situation and how the owners address it.
      Those reservations are based on the owner's previous conduct which does not inspire confidence.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #885: Apr 30, 2013 04:47:08 pm
      I think the owners will want to move him on if the price is right.  I think that they will have a word with Rodgers and ask him what he would need in terms of transfer funds to replace Luis and improve the squad. 

If we then receive an offer that matches or beats that amount, then they will move him on and will reinvest in new talent, hopefully which does not carry the same baggage as Luis. 

On the flip side, we have no need to sell our best player, so if teams try to F**k us over then we will show them the door. 

Agree with Stuey that it is a win-win, largely due to the fact that we have such a talented player tied down to a long term contract. 
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #886: Apr 30, 2013 05:31:50 pm
      The majority of us want Luis to stay of that there is little doubt.
      That is a fact, even those like me who feel little or no pity for Luis and don't blame the FA want him to stay.

Yet, the more I think about wanting Luis to stay the sadder I get. Quite honestly, I wish we did not need him.

For me it is a case of needing Luis. I do still want him here but when I think about our great managers I cant help but wonder if they would except his behavior, it is coming close to the point were he could embarrassing the shirt he wears, our shirt.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #887: Apr 30, 2013 06:51:27 pm
      Luis did not attend the PFA awards and prior to the event he said his ''niggly'' style of play was unlikely to win him any awards.
      He went on to say ''I understand defenders probably aren't going to vote for me because I've got my particular style which can be considered a bit niggly. The way I am and the way I carry myself is all part of the way I play - almost to divert attention, to put them off''.
      ''If I played against a forward who winds me up every game, tries to get on my nerves and drive me mad....it's difficult to vote for someone who does that. It's hard to vote for a player who's shouting at you all the game and trying to wind you up''. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #888: Apr 30, 2013 07:12:58 pm

NIG*ly Stu.
      Steady now !
      The PCs FAs are about.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #889: Apr 30, 2013 07:14:52 pm
      That is a fact, even those like me who feel little or no pity for Luis and don't blame the FA want him to stay.

Yet, the more I think about wanting Luis to stay the sadder I get. Quite honestly, I wish we did not need him.

For me it is a case of needing Luis. I do still want him here but when I think about our great managers I cant help but wonder if they would except his behavior, it is coming close to the point were he could embarrassing the shirt he wears, our shirt.

I dont think we are ever relient on any player to be honest Eddie, now dont get me wrong i really rate Luis and i want him to stay but there is always the next player, there always will be, we are a big club and we will always attract players..

We played Newcastle Saturday and im not going to hang my hat on one game but i saw enough in Sturrdige let alone any replacement if and when Luis leaves to see that if he played through the middle for this side he would get 20 plus a season..

Big players have always left, when Keegan left Dalglish came, when Rushie left Aldo came, when Rushie retired the second time round Fowler came, when Fowler left we had Owen.. Then Torres, when Torres left we get Luis..
      Fans were gutted everytime each of those examples left but soon the wounds were healed by their replacements.. If Luis left then id imagine we will find someone to fill his boots.

Disclaimer

I dont want Luis to leave before i get jumped on
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #890: Apr 30, 2013 07:20:59 pm
      I dont think we are ever relient on any player to be honest Eddie, now dont get me wrong i really rate Luis and i want him to stay but there is always the next player, there always will be, we are a big club and we will always attract players..

We played Newcastle Saturday and im not going to hang my hat on one game but i saw enough in Sturrdige let alone any replacement if and when Luis leaves to see that if he played through the middle for this side he would get 20 plus a season..

Big players have always left, when Keegan left Dalglish came, when Rushie left Aldo came, when Rushie retired the second time round Fowler came, when Fowler left we had Owen.. Then Torres, when Torres left we get Luis..
      Fans were gutted everytime each of those examples left but soon the wounds were healed by their replacements.. If Luis left then id imagine we will find someone to fill his boots.

Disclaimer

This is the story...

I don't want him to leave either but you're 100% correct. Players come and players go but we are constant.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #891: Apr 30, 2013 07:33:43 pm

Disclaimer

Indeed...next man up.

Luis seems to get what this club is about and that's why I expect him to stay I suppose...but if he doesn't, we'll have to soldier on and find a replacement.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #892: Apr 30, 2013 07:44:40 pm
      Replacing Suarez, without Champions League football would be difficult. Really hope it doesn't happen, but how much sh*t can one man put up with?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #893: Apr 30, 2013 08:11:01 pm

Disclaimer

I agree no team is ever reliant on any one  player alone. But right now IMO we are relying more on Luis than we have relied on anyone player since Billy Liddell.

I think we were lucky to get Luis when Torres left. I am not sure we would get another World class player if Luis went, we all know World class player want to play for clubs with World class ambitions. If he went we would be very lucky to get a player anywhere near as good as Luis or Torres.

If we had a squad like Chelsea's or Man city's IMO most supporters would say get rid of him. 

How can I put it ?  I think it is a sign that we are falling behind that we are willing to excuse such childish behavior, behavior which could cost us trophies or a place in Europe 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #894: Apr 30, 2013 09:41:35 pm
      another well earned rest for Luis.

Lets face it ..... fag end of season. Nothing time critical except the Bitters.

He kept us in the loop week in week out at the end of last year so I hope he enjoys his break. He has deserved it.

Good job he picked now to cannabalise Chelsea players.

After the Bitters  ...   Fulham and QPR. 
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #895: Apr 30, 2013 09:54:29 pm
      another well earned rest for Luis.

Lets face it ..... fag end of season. Nothing time critical except the Bitters.

He kept us in the loop week in week out at the end of last year so I hope he enjoys his break. He has deserved it.

Good job he picked now to cannabalise Chelsea players.

After the Bitters  ...   Fulham and QPR. 

I always enjoy reading your posts, but F**k me I cannot understand them ???
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #896: May 01, 2013 11:16:01 am
      I always enjoy reading your posts, but f**k me I cannot understand them ???

Nor can I  Harry !

Anyway some grown up stuff here from the Beeb mate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22356789

Luis Suarez: Inside the mind of Liverpool's Uruguayan striker

"When you understand Luis's background and where he comes from, he sees football as his opportunity to succeed in life, then you can understand his determination."

Getting inside the mind of Luis Suarez, 26, appears a difficult task. His career treads the thin line between footballing brilliance and flawed genius, but a close friend and former Ajax colleague believes his tough upbringing is a good place to start.

Herman Pinkster was a member of Ajax's backroom staff when Suarez was banned for seven games after biting PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal in 2010. This was four months after the Uruguayan had hit the headlines for a deliberate handball against Ghana to help earn his country a place in the World Cup semi-final.

Now, with the Suarez debate very much back at the forefront after the Liverpool striker received a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic, Pinkster believes his win-at-all-costs mentality can be traced all the way back to his childhood in Uruguay.

Born in the Uruguayan city of Salto on 24 January 1987 and raised in Montevideo, Suarez once had to reject the chance to attend a Uruguay youth team training camp because he couldn't afford a pair of boots.  Money was tight as the player fought to succeed.

"When you have such a determination to win games and you are such a warrior from the nature inside, it is very hard to change it," said Pinkster.

"We really had to adapt, we had never had a player like that, that was so determined to win games, to focus like a soldier in a war.

"When he regrets something he is really sorry, but when he has the full commitment that he is 400% right, he never will regret things."

The word 'winner' is a common characteristic used to describe Suarez by the people who have seen his rise from kicking around on the streets of Montevideo to signing for Liverpool for £22.8m in January 2011.

His ability has rarely been questioned, scoring 111 goals in 159 appearances for Ajax and a regular for Uruguay, but his temperament has been brought into doubt a number of times along the way.

"He is a kind person. He is Dr Jekyll outside the pitch and sometimes Mr Hyde on the pitch," said Tom Egbers, the presenter of Netherlands's version of Match of the Day.

"He behaves like an animal at times. He can be terrible on the pitch, he can do terrible things. Swearing, kicking, diving... all the tricks. He does not mean to harm anyone, to injure someone.

"He just wants his opponent out of the way by any means. He is street smart. It is obvious he has not had his education from Eton. He is from Montevideo, Uruguay. Everything is permitted in his view to win a game.

"Something in his brain happens - (after he bit Bakkal) he genuinely apologised to the player and humbly accepted the punishment."

Just in his Premier League career alone, Suarez's list of misdemeanours include racially abusing Patrice Evra, admitting diving and being pilloried for a handball  goal against Mansfield.

His dark side can be traced as far back as to when he was sent off as a 15-year-old for head butting a referee  when a youth player for Uruguayan side Nacional, and was seen again when he saw red for dissent on his international debut against Colombia in February 2007.

"He is the type of player that once inside the box he is capable of anything to score a goal, to get the ball from an opponent. Obviously this kind of thing shouldn't happen, cannot happen. It's happened to him," said his former Groningen team-mate Hugo Alves.

"He does anything to win. He is a winner. And because of his way of thinking, if he is in the heat of the moment, full of emotion, he makes these kind of mistakes. In the middle of an emotional game, he can vent it in the wrong way."

One of Suarez's former youth coaches, Julian Moreno, said that winning mentality was evident throughout his time at Nacional:

"He never liked losing. He wanted to win everything, that's something he always showed."

Suarez signed for Dutch top-flight side Groningen from Nacional in 2005. The club's then-technical director Henk Veldmarte said it took just 15 minutes to spot his potential in a trial match.

Arriving in Holland as an 19-year-old without any grasp of the language, it was initially a struggle for the striker but there was a sense of unshakeable confidence in his own ability.

Brazilian Alves adds: "Luis is a kind of a person that when he was in Groningen it seemed like he was in Uruguay in his native neighbourhood.
      I had lots of difficulties when I arrived here.
      I thought… What am I gonna say?
      What am I gonna eat?
      Not Luis.

"Without speaking a single word of English or Dutch he goes to the market and buys exactly what he wants.
      He can communicate with people without knowing one word of their language.
      Once he got a car, without knowing how to drive.

"He said 'I want the car now, I can learn how to drive later on.'  (Ed: Love it)
      Obviously he had a driving licence, he just had to change it for a Dutch one. But that shows how easy it was for him to get used to things.

"He had a good relationship with his neighbours, with people who lived close to him. He talked to everybody.
      He talks to the club doorman in the same way he talks to the chairman.
      He does not make any distinction."

Such single-mindedness has been evident throughout Suarez's career. He moved to Europe to be closer to his girlfriend   (now his wife), attempted to force through a move to Ajax in 2007, when he even took former club Groningen to court, and took his one-month-old daughter on the pitch at the Amsterdam Arena, despite being told not to.

Suarez has always done things his own way and, no matter what criticisms have been thrown his way, one thing almost everyone is in agreement with is his talent as a footballer.

"He is one of the top three most spectacular players Ajax have had in the last 100 years - there is Cruyff, van Basten and Suarez," said Egbers.

Listen to BBC Radio 5 live 'What's Eating Luis Suarez?' programme on Wednesday 1930 BST.

I want the car now. I can learn how to drive later on.
      Classic. ;D
      My kinda guy.

Quick Reply