Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool FC coming to Cape Town

Read 8335 times
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer
      • Started Topic

• 192 posts |
      Liverpool FC coming to Cape Town
      Apr 24, 2013 10:59:09 am
      Saw that the mighty Reds might be coming to Cape Town!!!!

Dunno if this is bollocks or not, but would be great for South Africa and know there's loads of LFC fans this side of the pond
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Liverpool FC coming to Cape Town
      Reply #1: Apr 24, 2013 11:19:02 am

Dunno if this is bollocks or not, but would be great for South Africa and know there's loads of LFC fans this side of the pond

Supposedly 23rd May but nothing on the Official site.
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 24, 2013 11:21:32 am
      I would find away to make it to Cape Town, wish they can confirm it. Sure tickets will be sold out in hours.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #3: Apr 24, 2013 11:52:35 am
      Seems unlikely we'll be playing a friendly a few days after we finish our season.

Unless it's a Liverpool XI team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #4: Apr 24, 2013 12:01:16 pm

Don't know about that yet, nothing on the official website, if it was true there would definitely be confirmation on there.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2013 12:22:33 pm
      Good to hear about the Reds planning these world tours and made up for all the supporters who will get to see their idols first hand.
      Good to see as well we are taking advantage of the global support LFC enjoy and promoting that concept.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2013 12:41:43 pm
      If they make it to Cape Town, I wish you all the best in obtaining tickets. They're like gold dust. get in quick mate.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2013 02:24:56 pm
      Been following this story for a week now,just wish LFC would confirm this now!no doubt that the stadium will be full!Tickets will be sold with in hours as thousands of South african Liverpool supporters have been waiting for this for years!

Please let this be true,tears of joy will be streaming down my face!

Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 25, 2013 06:15:48 am
      Heard on the radio this morning that its been confirmed by CT stadium that 21 may is the date. That is a bit early after the season surely? Also LFC still need to agree to the terms and sign the contract for confirmation. One of the terms being they bring there strongest 11 at the time to play.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,279 posts | 802 
      Reply #9: Apr 25, 2013 06:26:08 am
      I think you're living in dreamland if you think our strongest 11 will be travelling to Cape Town two days after our final game of the season.

Just my opinion, which could be (and often is) wrong.
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 25, 2013 06:29:28 am
      I think you're living in dreamland if you think our strongest 11 will be travelling to Cape Town two days after our final game of the season.

Just my opinion, which could be (and often is) wrong.

Thats exactly what I thought. I cant see it happening at this rate, if those are the terms. I would love to just see LFC play live but I guess It will have to be at Anfiled  ;D
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,279 posts | 802 
      Reply #11: Apr 25, 2013 06:30:50 am
      Thats exactly what I thought. I cant see it happening at this rate, if those are the terms. I would love to just see LFC play live but I guess It will have to be at Anfiled  ;D

I hope it does happen for you and the rest of our South African fans, but I just can't see it.
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 25, 2013 06:45:05 am
      I hope it does happen for you and the rest of our South African fans, but I just can't see it.

Thanks bud, i just wished they would do a tour maybe 3 games or so in for pre season. Would be great and they would definitely fill the stadiums
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: Apr 25, 2013 07:08:16 am
      Announcing Malaysia for the first time (Jakarta) today, looks like a busy off-season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #14: Apr 25, 2013 01:12:15 pm
      Announcing Malaysia for the first time (Jakarta) today, looks like a busy off-season.

Hahaha the one on the left looks like a thai ladyboy!!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2013 06:58:37 pm
      Hahaha the one on the left looks like a thai ladyboy!!

That would be the next thing the club would get prosecuted for, not screening the press conference models....:)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #16: Apr 26, 2013 01:06:50 pm
      This game is on 2 days after the QPR game apparently.

And we'll be taking a very strong squad too according to James Pearce.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2013 01:39:09 pm
      Indeed it has just been confirmed:

LFC set for friendly in South Africa
      Liverpool Football Club has announced it will take part in a post-season friendly match with Ajax Cape Town in South Africa later this month.

The game will be played at the Cape Town Stadium on Tuesday, May 21 with kick-off set for 8.15pm local time.

Tickets go on sale on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 via www.computicket.com and prices range from R150 - R350.

Billy Hogan, chief commercial officer at Liverpool FC, said: "It will be fantastic for the club to return to South Africa after almost 20 years. We know we have a large fanbase in South Africa which is rapidly growing, in the last eight months the number of South African fans visiting the club's website has doubled.

"This visit is part of our off-season activity and shows our commitment to bringing the club closer to our fans all over the globe, no matter how far away from Anfield they may live."

Liverpool visited South Africa in May 1994 when they faced Aston Villa, Cape Town Spurs and Kaizer Chiefs in the United Bank International Soccer Festival. Whilst on this visit, the travelling Liverpool party also met with South Africa president Nelson Mandela.

The club has a huge following in the country and recently became the first team in world football to launch an official Twitter account for South African supporters, which can be followed @SouthAfricaLFC.

Fans should follow @SouthAfricaLFC for more details as they emerge
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lfc-set-for-friendly-in-south-africa
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #18: May 06, 2013 05:39:23 pm
      Liverpool FC confirm post-season trip to South Africa

LIVERPOOL FC have confirmed they will take part in a post-season friendly in South Africa later this month.

The Reds will face Ajax Cape Town on Tuesday, May 21. It will be their first visit to the country since 1994

Liverpool FC chief commercial officer Billy Hogan said: “It will be fantastic for the club to return to South Africa after almost 20 years.

“We know we have a large fan base in South Africa which is rapidly growing, in the last eight months the number of South African fans visiting the club’s website has doubled.

“This visit is part of our off-season activity and shows our commitment to bringing the club closer to our fans all over the globe, no matter how far away from Anfield they may live.”

Liverpool will fly off just 24 hours after their final Premier League fixture against QPR and return to Merseyside on Wednesday, May 22.

The game will be played at the Cape Town Stadium with kick-off set for 8.15pm local time.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/05/06/100252-33289987/

Fly out Monday, play Tuesday, fly back Wednesday!!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: May 06, 2013 08:48:02 pm

Wow, look at the photo!

jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer
      • Started Topic

• 192 posts |
      Reply #20: May 07, 2013 06:41:38 am
      Tickets are supposed to be available today, but on Twitter people are saying only on Thursday.

Be interesting to see what team they bring
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #21: May 08, 2013 03:34:39 pm
      Ajax Cape Town forced to pull out of Liverpool friendly

South Africa's Premier Soccer League (PSL) have stopped one of their clubs from playing a prestige friendly against Liverpool this month saying it would take publicity away from the country's cup final.

Ajax Cape Town have been refused permission by the league to play a friendly against the English club in Cape Town on 21 May.

"We don't allow international friendlies while the season is still on because it competes with our own events and our own sponsors," said the league's general manager Derek Blankensee on Wednesday.

South Africa's cup final, sponsored by the banking group Nedbank, completes the season on 25 May, four days after the proposed friendly. The last round of league matches is on 18 May.

"This is the biggest game of the season for our sponsor and we want them to get the exposure they deserve," Blankensee added.

Cape Town's municipal authorities, who were bankrolling the game, criticised the decision.

"I think it's short-sighted because we are trying to build brand South Africa, and getting one of the greatest football teams in the world to play in this country is a massive achievement for us," Cape Town city councillor Grant Pascoe told local media.

"Football attracts guests and what sort of message does this send out to our guests?"

An invitation side, made up of players from Ajax and other Cape Town professional sides, is now planned to face Liverpool, although all the players are registered with the PSL.

The game will be Liverpool's first in South Africa since 1994 - although Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur have been regular visitors to South Africa for pre-season friendlies in recent years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22425673
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer
      • Started Topic

• 192 posts |
      Reply #22: May 10, 2013 09:57:31 am
      This seems to be in the process of being cancelled.

Reason being that the PSL (South Africa's FA) don't allow friendlies to occur during the middle of the season.

That's the official reason.

The main reason is Nedbank (the sponsor) is unhappy that Liverpool are playing 5 days before the Nedbank Cup Final and it will take away viewership and hype from that game. And since they're the sponsor they've pulled some strings and coerced the PSL to pull out.

So for now it looks like it's cancelled.

Welcome to the Banana Republic.

Hope you enjoy your stay. This is Africa
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #23: May 10, 2013 10:20:05 am
      never understood why it was happening right after our season ends anyway
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24: May 10, 2013 10:46:09 am
      never understood why it was happening right after our season ends anyway
      Money !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #25: May 10, 2013 06:25:30 pm
      Cancelled.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #26: May 10, 2013 06:37:31 pm
      We were only going because they offered us a bunch of money.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #27: May 10, 2013 08:12:16 pm
      Gotta feel for the supporters down there, though.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #28: May 10, 2013 09:19:12 pm
      Gotta feel for the supporters down there, though.

Agree mate, hopes dashed- I do hope the club could sort out a Pre season friendly to make it up to our reds in South Africa.

Quick Reply