Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)

Read 24711 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2013 02:50:03 pm
      Only $$$$$ will speed the exit for our current custodians to be honest and to me its seem the game plan.

To think we could have had DIC

Instead we got DICK and DICK

pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2013 03:01:55 pm
      Im not so sure I would do this ... Could it not be argued that the plan in place is the correct one?? Why would it make that amount of difference to our transfer budget. If this company want to sponser the shirts then yes why not, however how much money we are talking?? I still feel its selling our history (which we are so proud of) and integrity down the line. Unless they are going to offer silly money like 100 Million a year then I really cant bring myself to share the view that renaming anfield will be anything other than problamatic at least.

For example when the deal ends what do we do keep the name of Wang Tang Bank or whatever else the name is of the this company or do we put the feelers out for another Russian Billionaire to have his name on the stadium making it knockabollockoff stadium.

I still get the feeling that renaming it with something to do with south east asian acroynyms is making us look like a rich mans w*nk sock.

We need to get realistic and live within our means and play out from back if you want to use a paraphrase.
      A large transfer budget does not mean success straight away we still need to bring players through our academy on a regular basis and also look to local lads with good ability to take the mantel from the likes of SG and JC.

From my own personal point of view getting us back into the top four is not going to happen overnight and selling the rights to name of our beloved stadium is not going to change that in the short or long term.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2013 03:19:50 pm
      I said, when the new stadium/stay at Anfield debate was worth discussing, Anfield to me is turf, grass, bricks,mortar & steel.  The thing that gives it's prestige, history and life are the fans, who also carry the history, not the ground itself.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #26: Apr 27, 2013 03:39:43 pm
      To think we could have had DIC

Instead we got DICK and DICK

That wasn't a forgone conclusion mate, anyway it's history now so F**k them [not Sheik Mohammed of course].

Like so many others I was more than willing to give FSG time to steady the ship and get us on an even keel, but enough of the Popeye references it hasn't happened and the signs are that nothing looks to be changing.
      Take the Suarez debacle as an example, FSG have been aware that quality back up for Luis was none existent yet they were quite prepared to let him bear the burden for as long as he could.
      The financial implications no doubt took precident and holy moley it has come back to bite their arses big time, the unfortunate thing is while they get away with serrated arses the club could suffer more damaging effects as a result of their lack of commitment.

The suspicion that they are willing to just keep the club solvent and a viable prospect is confirmed by their actions or lack of the same. Despite claims to the contrary FSG appear to be waiting for an upturn in the financial markets with a view to getting shut.
      If this was the agenda from day 1 is not certain what is certain is they are now out of their depth to all intents and purposes.   

emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #27: Apr 27, 2013 05:51:03 pm
      Im not that bothered about the naming rights to be honest, if it meant us having cash to compete and speeding up the process of getting back to a top four side and maybe just maybe one day competing for the title!

I hope something happens soon.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #28: Apr 28, 2013 09:43:29 pm
      Let's be honest, like the idea or not, we'd have no F***ing choice in the matter.

Not worth worrying / rejoicing about.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #29: Apr 28, 2013 10:01:37 pm
      Let's be honest, like the idea or not, we'd have no f**king choice in the matter.

Not worth worrying / rejoicing about.

Not really a lot of point for a forum then is there, that can be said for about any post on here :)

I'm against selling Anfield naming rights. "Kissing the Ooredoo Sign" doesnt really have the same ring (pun intended) to it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #30: Apr 28, 2013 10:34:54 pm
      So what if we took say......£50mill for the nameing rights over 5 years. Spent that on players and still didn't get into top 4 the next season. We would be waiting 4 years for the next big cash injection.  The money helps but is not the be all and end all. Managment and finding decent players available is what counts. That won't change whatever amount of cash you have. You can certainly aim for higher quality players but they don't always fullfill their promise, and once 'ANFIELD' is gone, there'll be no turning back.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #31: Apr 28, 2013 10:41:13 pm
      Not for me
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #32: Apr 28, 2013 10:41:29 pm
      We fans don't have a choice, although we can opine. The FSG investment into LFC is all about money isn't it. If selling anything means getting decent money, then there is no reason why the owners would resist. FSG are first investors and second owners. They probably do not know what "offside" is when they put their first dollar into the club, let alone understand what Shanks, Bob, Joe and our five European Cups mean.

We are nothing but a brand to them, from which they can extract maximum brand value to boost their return on investment. If they can sell the club at a 150% return today, you bet they would.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #33: Apr 28, 2013 11:02:52 pm
      It's a big F**k off from me. What price our history?.  :-\
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #34: Apr 28, 2013 11:15:56 pm
      It's a big f**k off from me. What price our history?.  :-\

Second that.

No sellouts here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #35: Apr 28, 2013 11:28:58 pm
      I'm against selling Anfield naming rights. "Kissing the Ooredoo Sign" doesnt really have the same ring (pun intended) to it.

:o
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #36: Apr 28, 2013 11:30:33 pm

Careful what you wish for.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #37: Apr 28, 2013 11:54:15 pm

What like owners who actually build or redevelop the stadium and actually can compete with anyone for players?
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #38: Apr 29, 2013 12:06:28 am
      I'll take my chances on that. Sooner FSG F**k off the better it will be for this club.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #39: Apr 29, 2013 02:03:32 am
      What like owners who actually build or redevelop the stadium and actually can compete with anyone for players?

And how many EPL owners fall into that category?

FSG have their warts, as do most other owners.

On topic, I don't think Anfield should be "renamed", sponsor or not, but if it is, I'll still call it Anfield.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #40: Apr 29, 2013 04:38:42 am
      if this rumour is true and the $$ is a material matter... i would welcome it

I too hate losing the anfield name but its is pretty apparent that unless FSG comes in with lots of money, lfc has to do whatever it can to create funds to actually compete.  we have fallen very far behind the group of teams that we are used to competing against.   IMO, anfield is special not because it was named as such but because it was a fortress and a nightmare for opposing teams... we need to get back there.

plus, if the Qatarians are business savvy, they would name it XX Anfield.  that would kill two birds with one stone.

LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #41: Apr 29, 2013 05:40:44 am
      For what its worth the Red Sox play at Fenway Park which in American sporting lore is up there with the very top venues, they haven't renamed that as they know there would be a riot on their hands. Literally a riot I mean. Hopefully they realize the non monetary value attached to such a historic name as Anfield
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #42: Apr 29, 2013 05:45:47 am
      They will just call it Ooredoo Park at Anfield or Ooredoo Stadium at Anfield....they wont take away the name.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #43: Apr 29, 2013 06:50:31 am

Give over lad..

American owners are a shower of sh*te.. These included
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #44: Apr 29, 2013 10:23:19 am
      And how many EPL owners fall into that category?

I don't care how many owners fall into that category but I do want the owners of this club to back up what they actually say and stop talking sh*te just to try and keep fans on side.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #45: Apr 29, 2013 10:24:21 am
      I'm 100% sure that Ian Ayre said about 18 months back that Liverpool would definitely not rename Anfield - naming rights would only be applied if it was part of a new stadium.

I'm very strongly against this.  This is a bit of a red line for me - in this modern world some things in football just shouldn't be up for sale.  With all the money knocking round in the game I don't think Anfield should ever be part of a sponsorship deal.

Quick Reply