Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?

Read 9907 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?
      May 02, 2013 04:11:10 pm
      Looks like BT have won the rights to show 38 premier league games next season.

BSkyB is facing a rising threat from BT in the television market, ahead of this summer's launch of the rival company's sports channel, which has won the right to screen 38 Premier League games a season.

More Here

Wonder how much more they can squeeze out of the average supporter's pocket.

Has to end somewhere - this is getting stupid
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?
      Reply #1: May 02, 2013 04:13:13 pm
      Agreed my friend , especially these days with everyone skint
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: May 02, 2013 04:58:26 pm
      More competition for viewers might lead to lower prices, won't affect me anyway, I only use live streams ; -)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: May 02, 2013 05:11:42 pm
      More competition for viewers might lead to lower prices, won't affect me anyway, I only use live streams ; -)

That's what I was thinking.

Isn't having more options a good thing? Certainly better than a monopoly in which Sky (or whoever holds it) can practically charge as much as they want for it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: May 02, 2013 05:19:21 pm
      I'm afraid we can't moan about prices as it's driven by consumer demand. While some would argue it's as important as gas or electric to them it truthfully isn't. So while it isn't an essential for life we do have a choice and therefore the person to blame for the prices would be those willing to pay for it. If you're one of them, then I'm afraid you're part of the problem.

There is the point that some will be priced out of their favourite hobby/lifestyle however you choose to phrase it and that's a fact, but then you're a victim of society being richer and able to afford prices you can't and you'll have to cut your cloth accordingly.

So while I'm all for the argument that there's a problem in society where the poor have less choices and lower quality of life than they should be entitled to and the rich control far too much for their actual difference in contribution I don't believe we can blame a company for charging prices people are willing to pay.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #5: May 02, 2013 05:40:22 pm
      You'd think so, but seeing as ESPN are now charging £13.00 a month, it doesn't look like that's the reality
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #6: May 02, 2013 05:43:21 pm
      I'm afraid we can't moan about prices as it's driven by consumer demand. While some would argue it's as important as gas or electric to them it truthfully isn't. So while it isn't an essential for life we do have a choice and therefore the person to blame for the prices would be those willing to pay for it. If you're one of them, then I'm afraid you're part of the problem.

There is the point that some will be priced out of their favourite hobby/lifestyle however you choose to phrase it and that's a fact, but then you're a victim of society being richer and able to afford prices you can't and you'll have to cut your cloth accordingly.

So while I'm all for the argument that there's a problem in society where the poor have less choices and lower quality of life than they should be entitled to and the rich control far too much for their actual difference in contribution I don't believe we can blame a company for charging prices people are willing to pay.
      There was a time football was virtually free on the BBC and ITV

So it's nothing to do with supply and demand, Sky just muscled in and started charging for it. Knowing the sport was popular from the off set.

First ever monthly subscription I paid to Sky, was £5.99 a month

The rest is history - and today they announced £994m profit for 9 months - that's also got nothing to do with supply and demand, that's just plain greed
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #7: May 02, 2013 05:44:43 pm
      Anyone heard of CCcam?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: May 02, 2013 05:48:14 pm
      There was a time football was virtually free on the BBC and ITV

So it's nothing to do with supply and demand, Sky just muscled in and started charging for it. Knowing the sport was popular from the off set.

First ever monthly subscription I paid to Sky, was £5.99 a month

The rest is history - and today they announced £994m profit for 9 months - that's also got nothing to do with supply and demand, that's just plain greed

Your entire post is a contraction. You clearly demonstrate the supply and the demand.

To counter my argument you would have to say, Sky tried to charge for the games but nobody was willing so it reverted back to the BBC for 'free' (we pay licence for that by the way so there was always a charge).
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: May 02, 2013 05:52:33 pm
      What is it?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #10: May 02, 2013 05:54:59 pm
      Card sharing. Always something to think about if you don't want to pay the ludicrous sky prices. I know some pubs do it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #11: May 02, 2013 06:09:13 pm
      Your entire post is a contraction. You clearly demonstrate the supply and the demand.

To counter my argument you would have to say, Sky tried to charge for the games but nobody was willing so it reverted back to the BBC for 'free' (we pay licence for that by the way so there was always a charge).
      Fair enough

They are are bunch of greedy bas**rds
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: May 02, 2013 06:17:54 pm
      I'm In Europe.

Run FreeSat.

Watch the lads on First Row Sport   and before it was myp2p.eu.

Stick an HDMI from the lappie into the old Sony and   BOOM  the dirt is gone .

Thats my Ariel   Arial . Whats yours?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #13: May 02, 2013 06:20:45 pm
      More choice can only benefit the consumer, Sky have had almost a monopoly of sport broacasting and have been able to demand what they like pricewise.
      BT were responsible for the same practices in the telecommication, hi-tech industries but had to reduce prices to an extent when the competition bit in.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: May 02, 2013 06:26:56 pm
      Fair enough

That is absolutely true mate.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #15: May 02, 2013 06:29:51 pm
      Card sharing. Always something to think about if you don't want to pay the ludicrous sky prices. I know some pubs do it.

Great until you get caught doing it. The random numbers in the top right has something to do with it. I read some where that sky use a unique number and can monitor who/where is watching and whether the card is registered to the venue game or film is being watched.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #16: May 02, 2013 06:34:24 pm
      Great until you get caught doing it. The random numbers in the top right has something to do with it. I read some where that sky use a unique number and can monitor who/where is watching and whether the card is registered to the venue game or film is being watched.
      More than likely it would be the provider targeted, not the consumer.
      boohamdan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #17: May 02, 2013 06:57:10 pm
      I live in the Emirates & for the past three years we had only one option for following the EPL; Abu Dhabi sports channel.
      They charge about 77£ a year, showing every minute of every game in glorious HD with your choice of Arabic or English commentary (equally biased  ;D )
      How does that compare to Sky?
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #18: May 02, 2013 08:31:29 pm
      Dodgy sky box £200brick every channel:-)
      Or go to the pub,where that landlord has every channel imaginable.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #19: May 02, 2013 08:41:41 pm
      I'd fork out a good amount of money for a Premier League sports package that shows every game live.

But Sky have too much control for that to happen.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: May 02, 2013 08:44:03 pm
      Like dreambox?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #21: May 02, 2013 08:46:01 pm
      Yeah, that's one receiver you could use.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #22: May 02, 2013 08:58:19 pm

I now hate you, does that answer your question?  :P
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #23: May 02, 2013 09:14:27 pm
      I'd fork out a good amount of money for a Premier League sports package that shows every game live.

But Sky have too much control for that to happen.

Exactly! This is the point I was discussing with a friend not long ago. My objection is not (solely) with the prices that Sky / ESPN / BT or any other provider charge, my issue is that by securing coverage rights, they massively restrict what you can watch. They choose the games that will be screened live and even though they have cameras and commentators at all EPL grounds, you can't see the footage of any other games legally in the UK.
      I don't have Sky but they used to give you the option during some European games to select your match via the red button. Why can't they do that with the EPL?
      Divide TV money equally between clubs or even based on predicted viewing figures and show the same adverts on each channel, giving sponsors exposure to fans of clubs at the same time. They'd still retain the option of sending their favourite commentary teams to Old Trafford!
      This is by far the most popular sport in this country and unless you can get access to tickets (not always possible even if you can afford them), you have no (legal) way of watching it, even though it is being recorded. Criminal.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24: May 02, 2013 09:27:20 pm
      I can't really comment on this because here in the States, one network holds the rights to the Premier League. Completely different market of course.

But speaking of which, thank God Fox Soccer no longer has the Prem rights. NBC looks very promising.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #25: May 02, 2013 09:28:16 pm
      I can't really comment on this because here in the States, one network holds the rights to the Premier League. Completely different market of course.

But speaking of which, thank God Fox Soccer no longer has the Prem rights. NBC looks very promising.

Is it a similar thing there, where they pick which match to show or can you select?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #26: May 02, 2013 09:31:12 pm
      They should do what happens in America and blackout games within a certain mile radius that are not sold out. If Attendance is an issue for not going down that route then that's a good solution.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #27: May 02, 2013 09:36:17 pm
      Is it a similar thing there, where they pick which match to show or can you select?

Yeah, Fox only shows so many live ones of their choosing on their main FSC channel, ESPN2 has 1 per weekend. Some are tape-delayed. Fox will show all the others, but you need FSC Plus or pay for their stream ("Fox Soccer to Go"). If our game isn't on FSC or ESPN 2, I live stream it.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: May 03, 2013 03:07:25 pm

Correct lad! Thats the way to be or go round ur mates to use them for Sky haha! Has to be done!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #29: May 03, 2013 09:45:14 pm
      Looking forward to BT getting some games, they've got a good little presenter in Jake Humphrey there (well I liked him on the F1 for sure).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: May 03, 2013 10:04:13 pm
      Looking forward to BT getting some games, they've got a good little presenter in Jake Humphrey there (well I liked him on the F1 for sure).

Yeah I like Jake Humphrey as well. Thought he was brilliant alongside DC and Eddie Jordan presenting F1.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31: May 04, 2013 12:32:06 am

Those random numbers you speak of are the actual numbers of your viewing card mate. It's on all Sky boxes, it's just their way of monitoring people who stream their channels online i think.

There are a few pubs round my way that have these French satellite thingys that seem to pick up everything. I'd love to have one myself.

If anyone has any information on how to do this then could they please PM me.

Thank you.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #32: May 04, 2013 12:05:00 pm
      Those random numbers you speak of are the actual numbers of your viewing card mate. It's on all Sky boxes, it's just their way of monitoring people who stream their channels online i think.

There are a few pubs round my way that have these French satellite thingys that seem to pick up everything. I'd love to have one myself.

If anyone has any information on how to do this then could they please PM me.

Thank you.
      Just use google to find some satellite forums mate. That's what I did and I've had no problems all season. That's the best way to get contacts as you'll need a host to get the CCCam information to input into your box.

Also, be wary of some sites. I paid for a month trial to a site which had every sky channel, but the connection was awful because they had too many customers using the same server so everything lagged annoyingly. I just recently found out that the site has disappeared. It was a scam.

Just have to try get yourself a trial period maybe to watch out for that.

Good luck.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #33: May 04, 2013 12:41:26 pm
      Stop talking about such matters, you'll bring the world crashing down. ;)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #34: May 05, 2013 01:08:11 pm
      Just use google to find some satellite forums mate. That's what I did and I've had no problems all season. That's the best way to get contacts as you'll need a host to get the CCCam information to input into your box.

Also, be wary of some sites. I paid for a month trial to a site which had every sky channel, but the connection was awful because they had too many customers using the same server so everything lagged annoyingly. I just recently found out that the site has disappeared. It was a scam.

Just have to try get yourself a trial period maybe to watch out for that.  ;)

Good luck.

Stop talking about such matters, you'll bring the world crashing down. ;)

Thank you xSkyline.

Exiled, i was just curious mate. I would never dream of entering into such a seedy world!.  ;)
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #35: May 05, 2013 09:43:06 pm
      I don't know that much about it but you can purchase satellite equipment - all legit - and watch premiership football but paying a foreign supplier.  I believe some pubs even do it after that landmark case where that landlady took the premier league through the european courts (more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054 ).

I think some of the football can be found free if you have a motorised dish too.  The only downside for some, is that the match commentary might not be in English (but that can be a good thing as most commentators talk sh*te anyway).
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #36: May 06, 2013 12:44:40 pm
      I don't know that much about it but you can purchase satellite equipment - all legit - and watch premiership football but paying a foreign supplier.  I believe some pubs even do it after that landmark case where that landlady took the premier league through the european courts (more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054 ).

I think some of the football can be found free if you have a motorised dish too.  The only downside for some, is that the match commentary might not be in English (but that can be a good thing as most commentators talk sh*te anyway).
      You need a pretty big dish (at least 1.1m) to pick up on most of those satellites. Depending on where you stay or which satellite you want to pick up it may have to be even bigger.

In that article you could do what that pub landlady did and purchase a foreign card to get their games live. Which is a good thing if you have a big enough dish as there is a service, AD sports, that offers every BPL game in english, but you need a dish around 2m at least for that.

Oh yeah, AD Sports costs £80 a year. You heard that right.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #37: May 06, 2013 01:33:14 pm
      In Australia, I pay roughly £30 a month for foxtel, which includes every EPL game (as well as 50 or so other channels). Is that dear compared to Sky?

Also, what's BT?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #38: May 06, 2013 04:29:06 pm
      In Australia, I pay roughly £30 a month for foxtel, which includes every EPL game (as well as 50 or so other channels). Is that dear compared to Sky?

Also, what's BT?

British Telecom.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3472 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39: May 07, 2013 10:49:15 am
      BT Sport Channels have popped up on sky now at 445 and 447.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #40: May 07, 2013 01:53:03 pm

What did you think about him on Bedtime Live?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #41: Jun 05, 2013 08:20:54 pm
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #42: Jun 05, 2013 08:43:21 pm
      not for me, I have a Sky box and BT broadband  :oranje:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #43: Jun 05, 2013 09:08:32 pm
      Well, some of that article's completely wrong. It works out cheaper than what she tells you. Trust me on that.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #44: Jun 05, 2013 09:11:42 pm
      I was paying around $5 per month for a sports package that included Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Soccer Plus.  All of our games were on live except towards the end of the season (the live games were relegation battles and top four battles). From what it looks like NBC,s channels will be carrying every Prem game live with no extra charge.  NBC, NBC Sports, mSNBC, CNBC, USA, and a couple other channels which are all part of the basic package here.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #45: Jun 05, 2013 10:26:43 pm
      In theory, it should result in being able to view games for cheaper prices. However, we all know how the Premier League operate and it is likely to result in higher bidding wars between providers, increasing consumer prices.

Question for everyone, as I am clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff. To get the channel, do you have to have a BT Broadband service? Also, can you get access to the channel from other providers such as Virgin or Sky?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #46: Jun 05, 2013 10:40:04 pm
      In theory, it should result in being able to view games for cheaper prices. However, we all know how the Premier League operate and it is likely to result in higher bidding wars between providers, increasing consumer prices.

Question for everyone, as I am clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff. To get the channel, do you have to have a BT Broadband service? Also, can you get access to the channel from other providers such as Virgin or Sky?
      It's free if you are a BT TV or Broadband subscriber already, or £12 a month without.

You get 38 BPL games.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #47: Jun 05, 2013 10:59:47 pm
      Also, can you get access to the channel from other providers such as Virgin or Sky?

Virgin, no. They operate through cable, BT operate through Infinity or the aerial - depending on which box you have (Vision+ is aerial; YouView is wired through Infinity).

Sky, yes. Costs are £12/month for SD, £15/month for HD.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #48: Jun 06, 2013 08:20:26 am
      Just as I said earlier, it's going to cost the majority of football fans more cash

It's getting beyond the joke
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #49: Jun 06, 2013 11:53:04 am
      Can't be arsed getting BT, those games featuring Liverpool will be getting watched on an internet stream.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #50: Jun 06, 2013 01:13:23 pm
      Can't be arsed getting BT, those games featuring Liverpool will be getting watched on an internet stream.
      True, but my boy and I were discussing the quality of those streams toward the end of last season, and at the risk of sounding ungrateful, most were plain bad - half the time you can't make out who is on the ball, and when a corner is being taken, you might as well not bother because you can't see the flight of the ball or anything

/rant start

And anyone saying they are free and to therefore stop complaining doesn't wash. Don't those who stream the games rely on website 'hits' for their cash from advertisements? Most do, and in that case, this ain't a freebie and if they want folk flocking to their website - sort the frigging streams out

/rant end
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #51: Jun 06, 2013 03:03:37 pm
      My pacckage on sky is 70 a month and i pay 35 a month for internet

I have just ordered bt added sky sports 1&2 espn bt sports 1 &2 all the free view and all discovery channels + bt infinity and free calls for £63 a mnth im gonna give it a blast at that price
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #52: Jun 06, 2013 03:21:27 pm
      True, but my boy and I were discussing the quality of those streams toward the end of last season, and at the risk of sounding ungrateful, most were plain bad - half the time you can't make out who is on the ball, and when a corner is being taken, you might as well not bother because you can't see the flight of the ball or anything

/rant start

And anyone saying they are free and to therefore stop complaining doesn't wash. Don't those who stream the games rely on website 'hits' for their cash from advertisements? Most do, and in that case, this ain't a freebie and if they want folk flocking to their website - sort the frigging streams out

/rant end

As said it's only for Liverpool games and more than likely, away games I won't be getting to, so can't be arsed getting it for the rest, all the big games still on sky and far too much footie on telly nowadays anyway!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #53: Jun 06, 2013 03:31:19 pm
      far too much footie on telly nowadays anyway!

NEVER ........;D
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,533 posts | 225 
      Reply #54: Jun 06, 2013 03:51:25 pm
      guys, I have spoken with sky, they told me to wait, they are working on a deal, soon on the sky website, we will be able to add bt sports hd for 10 quid a month for all of our boxes

if you don't wait, you need to ring bt and pay 15 quid for each box

wait a month or 2, they said 100 percent before the new season starts, a deal will have been made
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #55: Jun 06, 2013 03:57:37 pm
      My pacckage on sky is 70 a month and i pay 35 a month for internet

I have just ordered bt added sky sports 1&2 espn bt sports 1 &2 all the free view and all discovery channels + bt infinity and free calls for £63 a mnth im gonna give it a blast at that price

BT is a F***ing rip off mate, get on to Talk Talk and compare like for like deals.
      Was with BT meself  and we changed to TT and saved loads on the deal.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #56: Jun 06, 2013 04:53:59 pm
      far too much footie on telly nowadays anyway!
      Steady on HR! :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #57: Jun 06, 2013 05:00:37 pm
      not for me, I have a Sky box and BT broadband  :oranje:

Don't you need BT Vision for it to be completely free?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #58: Jun 06, 2013 05:19:55 pm

Honestly can easily swerve some premier league games these days, must be just old age catching up on me.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #59: Jun 06, 2013 05:53:29 pm
      Honestly can easily swerve some premier league games these days, must be just old age catching up on me.
      I know how you feel

Stoke v Fulham

Zero interest
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #60: Jun 06, 2013 06:04:52 pm
      BT is a F***ing rip off mate, get on to Talk Talk and compare like for like deals.
      Was with BT meself  and we changed to TT and saved loads on the deal.

Highly doubt it mate.

TalkTalk's prices aren't great. BT, for what they give, offer superb prices. The best, in fact.

Guarantee if you were to get TalkTalk Fibre, Anytime Calls Package and BT Sport 1 & 2 HD (+ ESPN HD), it'd cost MORE than the £42.45/month it'd cost you on BT. And that's not even taking in to account one-off costs. AND you get better speeds and call prices with BT, too.

Don't you need BT Vision for it to be completely free?

No, you just need to have, or order, any Unlimited BT Broadband package.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #61: Jun 06, 2013 07:34:57 pm
      Does this mean if you want to watch all the live games you now have to subscribe to Sky, ESPN and BT if you don't already have BT broadband? If so, which of these providers lost out to BT in the bidding, how many games did they lose, and is that provider reducing its subscription charge accordingly? If not, how is it a better deal for the football-viewing public?

Answers from qualified professionals please.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #62: Jun 06, 2013 07:47:54 pm
      Highly doubt it mate.

TalkTalk's prices aren't great. BT, for what they give, offer superb prices. The best, in fact.

Guarantee if you were to get TalkTalk Fibre, Anytime Calls Package and BT Sport 1 & 2 HD (+ ESPN HD), it'd cost MORE than the £42.45/month it'd cost you on BT. And that's not even taking in to account one-off costs. AND you get better speeds and call prices with BT, too.

Don't know about the sport mate but we get a better rate for the phone with anytime calls, mobiles, TV with freeview, online with them as well, don't notice any difference with the speeds. Been with them a while now and every year I'm with them it gets cheaper, just have a word when the contract is up for renewal. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #63: Jun 06, 2013 07:51:44 pm
      Don't know about the sport mate but we get a better rate for the phone with anytime calls, mobiles, TV with freeview, online with them as well, don't notice any difference with the speeds. Been with them a while now and every year I'm with them it gets cheaper, just have a word when the contract is up for renewal. 

BT have (in the last year or so) been heavily reducing prices for calls, making new call plans, etc. You should see what they can do for you - I guarantee they could give you better internet speeds and call plans than CrapTalk are right now.

Does this mean if you want to watch all the live games you now have to subscribe to Sky, ESPN and BT if you don't already have BT broadband? If so, which of these providers lost out to BT in the bidding, how many games did they lose, and is that provider reducing its subscription charge accordingly? If not, how is it a better deal for the football-viewing public?

Answers from qualified professionals please.

No, if you take BT Sport, ESPN is inclusive. ESPN are now a part of BT Sport.

BT Sport are offering 38 EPL games, including 18 top-picks and the first game of the season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #64: Jun 06, 2013 08:09:01 pm
      BT have (in the last year or so) been heavily reducing prices for calls, making new call plans, etc. You should see what they can do for you - I guarantee they could give you better internet speeds and call plans than CrapTalk are right now.

BT have reduced their rates because they were being undercut by their rivals mate, right now I couldn't be arsed switching with the extra initial fees and pay off costs, as I say tho having been with them a few years it is cheaper anyway.   
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #65: Jun 06, 2013 08:10:21 pm
      No, if you take BT Sport, ESPN is inclusive. ESPN are now a part of BT Sport.

BT Sport are offering 38 EPL games, including 18 top-picks and the first game of the season.

Ok cheers mate, it seems like a good deal to me. I'm with BT broadband (infinity, whatever that is) so I suppose that means I get the extra games at no additional cost. For others it means a potential ball ache.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #66: Jun 06, 2013 09:12:33 pm
      How much of all this huge increase in TV revenue going to filter down to grassroots level where it's actually needed and where we can rebuild ourselves as a footballing nation again?

I'm going to guess nothing.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #67: Jun 06, 2013 09:37:53 pm
      BT have reduced their rates because they were being undercut by their rivals mate

That's what happens in a competitive market buddy, each competitor wants to grab as many customers as they can. BT are no exception to the rule ;)
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #68: Jun 06, 2013 11:24:40 pm
      Ah nice looks like I get it for free, just got to call them up.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #69: Jun 07, 2013 12:22:29 pm
      How much of all this huge increase in TV revenue going to filter down to grassroots level where it's actually needed and where we can rebuild ourselves as a footballing nation again?

I'm going to guess nothing.

Don't be silly, the Premier League and all the hangers on including the clubs themselves are all about making dough off the back of the fans and giving F**k all back except the 'product'

It's just another money-making business now!
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #70: Jun 13, 2013 12:41:26 pm
      Billion-dollar TV football deal? It’s time to give some back to the fans
      Fans from across the North West to march in London to demand the authorities start to take care of the game's lifeblood]It is one of the most  eagerly-anticipated dates in  football’s summer calendar.

The release of the fixture list  for the new season is enough to  spark debate, fuel optimism  and  begin the countdown. It is  when one campaign closes, and  the next opens.

For one determined group of  football supporters, however,  this year will be different. This  year,  fixture day is about  taking a stand, making a point,  being heard.

The Premier League’s  headquarters in London will  be the setting as supporters  stage a  demonstration against  the spiralling cost of ticket  prices across English football.

Fans from across the North  West, including  representatives from  Liverpool’s Spirit of Shankly   supporters’ union, Everton’s  Blue Union, and the Tranmere  Rovers Supporters Trust, will  march  from Regent’s Park to  Gloucester Square next  Wednesday, as part of the  ‘Football Without Fans  Is  Nothing’ campaign.

It is time, they say, that  football’s powers-that-be  started to address fans  concerns. Football  may well be  big business, but it is a  business that is in danger of  alienating many of its most  loyal  customers.

The call is for clubs, either  prompted by, or in conjunction  with, the Premier League and   Football League, to agree to  caps on ticket prices.

Campaigns such as the  Football Supporters  Federation’s ‘Twenty’s Plenty’,  which suggests  clubs limit the  price of tickets for away fans to  £20, believe co-operation from  clubs could help  improve not  just supporter relations, but  also attendances.

The FSF outlined their  campaign at a meeting of  North West supporters in  Liverpool last  month. Their  fear is that groups such as  OAPs, children and students,  as well as those on low  wages,  will be driven away from  football.

They will be represented at  Wednesday’s protest, and say  the issue has created real unity   amongst supporters.

“We support anybody who is  making reasonable effort to  draw attention to this  problem,” says  Malcolm  Clarke, chairman of the FSF.

“The thing that makes this  issue so galling is that the  extra money the Premier  League will be  getting from its  new media deals would enable  them to bring about huge  reductions in ticket  prices,  without affecting their overall  income.”

A feature in the Guardian  this week claimed that if  Premier League clubs were to  use the extra  £2.1bn they are to  receive in media income from  next season, they would be able  to cut ticket  prices by as much  as £50 per match.

It is an unlikely scenario, of  course, especially given the  fact average attendances in the   Premier League actually rose  by 3.6% last season, but the  FSF believe it is time clubs  began to  pass on the benefits of  the Premier League’s vast  financial muscle to its  supporters.

“It is high time that fans got  something back,” says Clarke.  “Without match-going fans,  there  would be no television  product that is worth billions  and billions of pounds.

“Would any broadcaster buy  a product that was played in  half-empty stadiums, with no   atmosphere and no passion?  No. The fans make the Premier  League’s product what it is,  and  yet they rarely receive any  benefits from it.

“The truth is, with the  money Premier League clubs  make, they could basically let  supporters  in for free!

“We will support next  Wednesday’s protest fully. Fans  are united on this, there are no  club  boundaries, and we will  look to the Premier League to  take real action on this issue,  because it  is a serious one for  football supporters.”

Spirit of Shankly are  providing a coach service, at a  flat rate of £10 per person, to  transport  supporters down to  London for the protest.

They say the idea for the  protest stemmed from a  meeting with Liverpool  managing director  Ian Ayre,  which discussed at length the  new tiered pricing structure  which the Reds will be   implementing from next  season.

“Change isn’t going to  happen overnight,” says Jay  McKenna, group spokesman.  “We have  to try, though.

“We hope this can just be the  starting point, something to  get this issue in the open. This  issue  matters, it affects all  supporters, and we want to get  that message across as best we  can.”

Ben Harrison, of the  Tranmere Rovers Supporters  Trust, agrees: “Tranmere’s  prices are  reasonably  affordable, but average gates of  5,000 suggest there is  something wrong. The  walk-up  supporters, who look to attend  individual matches, are being  priced out.

“Our club has put on special  initiatives, letting fans in for £5  and so forth, and that has been   successful. Tranmere actually  made more money in gate  receipts from those games.

“The market is there, people  want to watch live football. It  just needs to be made more   affordable, more inclusive.”

WHERE TO WATCH  YOUR FOOTBALL  NEXT SEASON

SKY

116 live Premier League matches to be shown.  Slots include Saturday evenings, Sunday  afternoons, Monday nights.

Exclusive live coverage of the Football  League, League Cup and Football League  Trophy.

Live coverage of La Liga, as well as home  internationals involving Wales, Scotland,  Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Champions League coverage, shared with  ITV.

BBC

Will continue to screen Premier League  highlights through its Match of the Day  programmes, as well as Football League and  League Cup highlights packages.

ITV

Champions League matches, one per week,  and England internationals. Also has rights to  screen live FA Cup matches.

BT

38 live Premier League matches, including 18  “first pick” matches. Games to be shown on  Saturday lunchtimes and midweek evenings,  with Boxing Day and New Year’s Day clashes  also to be screened.

Live coverage of Scottish Premier League  games. Live coverage of the FA Cup, shared  with ITV.

Live coverage of the Bundesliga and Europa  League.

Promises its service will be available on  Freeview, Virgin and Sky, and although no  pricing has been outlined, costs are likely to  start at about £10 a month – with fans having  to fork out for both.

ONLINE/MOBILE  HIGHLIGHTS

It is not just television rights that make up  Premier League clubs’ huge windfalls.

News International beat Sky to the rights for  exclusive internet and mobile highlights for  Premier League matches.

Their bid is thought to be worth about £30m  over three years, and enables them to use  Premier League clips on the websites and apps  for the all of its stable papers.

This is close to double the £17m the last  three-year deal is thought to have been worth,  according to sources.

Under the previous deal the rights were split  between Yahoo!, which had internet clips, and  mobile, which was controlled by ESPN.

The split of the £17m total value of the deal  is not known.

Under the current deal for internet video  rights Yahoo! has syndicated highlights to third  parties including the Daily Mail, Guardian,  Times, Daily Telegraph, London Evening  Standard and Independent.

News International has said that it has no  intention at this stage of offering the clips to  third parties.

The websites it operates use paywalls, which  means fans will have to pay to access highlights  clips online from August onwards.

Liverpool fans protest at Chelsea against the cost of modern football 

Why Premier League clubs are the real TV winners

Some call it the  phonecall that changed  the landscape of  English football forever.

It was in May 1992  that Alan Sugar, then  chairman of Tottenham  Hotspur, and one of the  driving forces behind  the new Premier  League, dialled the  number of Sam  Chisholm, an executive  at BSKYB.

Sugar had just  received a sealed  envelope, containing  details of ITV’s £262m  bid for the first set of  Premier League  television rights.  Calling from a public  phone in the lobby of  the Royal  Lancaster  Hotel in  London,  and  motivated in no small  part by the fact that his  company, Amstrad,  were the main supplier  of Sky’s satellite dishes,  Sugar says he told  Chisholm to “blow ITV  out of the water”.

Sky, of course, did.  Their bid of £304m,  around £60m a year for  five years, was  accepted, Sugar’s vote  decisive in ensuring the  required two-thirds  majority.

The rest, of course, is  history.

But how small those  initial figures look now.  Sky’s latest deal, agreed  last summer, will cost  them £2.3bn over the  next three years. The  battle for television  rights in English  football is becoming as  fiercely contested as the  sport itself.

And, as of next  season, Premier League  clubs will benefit from  unprecedented levels of  broadcast revenue.

In addition to the Sky  contract, which will see  them screen 116 live  matches a season for  the next three years, the  Premier League has  signed a deal worth  £738m with BT, which  will see a further 38  games shown on its  new, dedicated sports  channel. There is also  the small matter of a  £178m agreement with  the BBC for its Match of  the Day highlights  package.

It means the total  earned by domestic TV  rights deals is around  £3.2bn, an increase of  71% on the last deal,  signed in 2010. With  internet and overseas  rights factored in (see panel), the  figure reaches £5.5bn.

On an individual  game basis,  broadcasters will now  pay £6.6m per match, up  from £4.7m last year.

These are staggering  sums. Even Richard  Scudamore, the Premier  League’s chief executive,  admitted he was  “surprised” at the hike  in prices. He did,  however, express delight  that the restructured  deal provided “a degree  of financial security” for  clubs.

In truth it is more  than that. It is estimated  that all clubs will benefit  to the tune of at least  £14m as of next season.  Indeed, early projections  suggest that the club  finishing bottom of the  Premier League next  season could collect  more TV money than  this season’s champions.  There has seldom been a  better time to be a  Premier League club.

The arrival of BT has  upped the stakes  significantly. They will  take over from ESPN as  the “secondary” live  broadcaster, though  crucially have won  rights to almost half of  the “first pick” Premier  League matches.

BT will screen games  on Saturday lunchtimes  and midweek evenings,  with key Boxing Day  and New Year’s Day  fixtures also to be  shown. They have  already recruited a host  of big names to act as  pundits, including  Michael Owen, Steve  McManaman, Rio  Ferdinand and David  James. Current players  such as Gareth Bale,  Alex  Oxlade-Chamberlain and  Marouane Fellaini have  also signed up.

Their presence, of  course, means live  football will, as ever, be  omnipotent in this  country. There will be  154 live Premier League  games shown in this  country next season,  earning the league more  than £1bn in itself.

It will, though, lead  for calls for more money  to filter its way down the  game.

At the moment,  around 16% of what the  Premier League earns  works its way down,  though only 4% finds its  way beyond the Football  League.

Some MPs, prompted by organisations such as the Football Foundation, have proposed that a minimum of 7.5% of the Premier League’s revenue should be diverted towards grass roots football.

The fear is that the  benefits of the new TV  deals will not be felt by  those in most desperate  need. Premier League  wages topped £1.5bn in  2011/12, which was more  than the £1.2bn earned  through global  television rights. The  average revenue to  wages ratio in the  Premier League is 70%.

Calls for clubs to use  their extra revenue to  subsidise ticket prices  appear to have fallen on  deaf ears, whilst supporters continue to suffer through prohibitive kick-off times as the Premier League, unsurprisingly, seeks to satisfy its broadcast partners.

Tthere  are also fears that both  Sky and BT may be  forced to increase their  own subscription  charges, in order to  cover spiralling costs.

Football is big  business. We know that.  Judging by the latest  figures, and the  competitive nature of  the TV rights market, it  is likely to get bigger  still in the next few  years.

Why Premier League TV cash  is an American dream

The value of  overseas  television rights  to the Premier  League was  confirmed when  US broadcaster  NBC agreed a  three-year, $250m  (£163.9m) deal to  provide “total  live coverage” of  the league from  next season.

NBC beat off  competition from  both ESPN and  FOX for the  contract, which  dwarfs the  previous deal,  held with ESPN  and worth  around $80m  (£52.5m).

They will  broadcast every  live game from  the league as of  next season,  having enjoyed  considerable  success with its  coverage of  Major League  Soccer in the last  12 months.

NBC’s  English-language  networks will  televise six live  games a week.  One or two of the  company’s other  cable channels  will be used  along with NBC  Sports Network,  said Group chairman Mark Lazarus, whilst other  games will be  streamed live  online.

Overseas and  internet TV  rights brought in  around £1.4bn to  the Premier  League over the  past three years,  with that figure  set to rise again during the next three.

At present,  this income is  distributed  evenly between  the 20 clubs –  something  Liverpool MD   Ian Ayre, among  others, has  protested about  in the past –  while income  from domestic  rights is  allocated  according to a  sliding scale,  based on league  position and the  number of  appearances on  TV.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/billion-dollar-tv-football-deal-now-4309148
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #71: Jun 13, 2013 02:04:20 pm
      Fair enough

So if you were selling your product for $X and you could continue selling the same amount for $X + Y you would keep the price at X so as not to be "greedy"?

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #72: Jun 13, 2013 02:58:50 pm
      So if you were selling your product for $X and you could continue selling the same amount for $X + Y you would keep the price at X so as not to be "greedy"?

If the initial amount was enough cash for me, then yes. And by all accounts, there most definitely was enough cash to go around

What about you, would you continue to hike your prices?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #73: Jun 13, 2013 06:49:14 pm
      If the initial amount was enough cash for me, then yes. And by all accounts, there most definitely was enough cash to go around

What about you, would you continue to hike your prices?

If I am in business to make money, then I would price my product at the point at which I maximize profit. Everyone acts like these companies have this one giant fat cat that sits back and collects all of the revenue. In reality, there are shareholders, employees, families of employees, etc... that rely on the success of the company for their well being. Yes there is usually a group of executives that make more money than most human's need to survive, but the reason they get paid so much (usually) is because they make the company a TON of money which makes shareholders money and allows employee's to keep their jobs and buy food for their families and by TV's and Cars and houses which injects cash into other areas of the economy.

It's easy to say that someone has "enough" money when you just look at one small piece of a much larger puzzle.

Who would I be to tell you or anyone else on this forum how much money is "enough". You should do as well for yourself as you can as long as you aren't doing anything illegal, unethical or something that intentionally hurts others.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7189 
      Reply #74: Jun 13, 2013 07:07:25 pm
      ah that's the "I'm alright jack " response. Seen enough of businesses run with shareholders including floating private companies they all make money for the board members first shareholders second and somewhere down the line way down the line employees. It just the way it is and it ain't  going to change.I have BT vision and it is cheaper than SKY as they try to grab a foothold in this market as soon as they have prices will increase.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #75: Jun 13, 2013 07:21:26 pm
      If I am in business to make money, then I would price my product at the point at which I maximize profit. Everyone acts like these companies have this one giant fat cat that sits back and collects all of the revenue. In reality, there are shareholders, employees, families of employees, etc... that rely on the success of the company for their well being. Yes there is usually a group of executives that make more money than most human's need to survive, but the reason they get paid so much (usually) is because they make the company a TON of money which makes shareholders money and allows employee's to keep their jobs and buy food for their families and by TV's and Cars and houses which injects cash into other areas of the economy.

It's easy to say that someone has "enough" money when you just look at one small piece of a much larger puzzle.

Who would I be to tell you or anyone else on this forum how much money is "enough". You should do as well for yourself as you can as long as you aren't doing anything illegal, unethical or something that intentionally hurts others.
      There's no argument here, they charge too much. So much that some cannot afford to pay the subscription fee and have to resort to crappy streams on the internet

No amount of massaging the facts is going to change the fact they charge too much - and they don't have to do so
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #76: Jun 13, 2013 07:22:50 pm
      ah that's the "I'm alright jack " response. Seen enough of businesses run with shareholders including floating private companies they all make money for the board members first shareholders second and somewhere down the line way down the line employees. It just the way it is and it ain't  going to change.I have BT vision and it is cheaper than SKY as they try to grab a foothold in this market as soon as they have prices will increase.
      Exactly

Greedy capitalistic parasites
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #77: Jun 13, 2013 07:35:12 pm
      There's no argument here, they charge too much. So much that some cannot afford to pay the subscription fee and have to resort to crappy streams on the internet
      No amount of massaging the facts is going to change the fact they charge too much - and they don't have to do so
      It's not a fact that they charge too much, it's only a fact for people that desire to pay the subscription but can't justify the amount. For the folks that plop down their money, they aren't charging too much.

Watching a football game on TV is not a "right" of any kind, it's a luxury. I could get Fox Soccer Sports and be able to watch premier league games but I choose not to because it's too expensive. I may complain that I wish it was cheaper but at the end of the day, it's not as important to me as other things I want/need to spend my money on so it is what it is. The company is able to get customers charging that rate, so they should do it. There are plenty of things I'd like to be able to afford that I can't, but I've found that typically when I blame the company for being greedy it's just because I wish I could afford to pay for the product. That's the materialistic side of me coming out.

There are people in this world that don't have clean water, healthy food and a roof over their heads at night so for me to complain about not being able to watch LFC on tv seems a bit petty.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #78: Jun 13, 2013 07:44:13 pm
      It's not a fact that they charge too much, it's only a fact for people that desire to pay the subscription but can't justify the amount.
      Kind of my point? Only every year people are feeling the price more and more. Me for one

For the folks that plop down their money, they aren't charging too much.
      And for those that aren't plopping down their money - it's too expensive because they charge too much

Watching a football game on TV is not a "right" of any kind, it's a luxury.
      Bollocks. Tell that to an empty stadium

I could get Fox Soccer Sports and be able to watch premier league games but I choose not to because it's too expensive.
      Well there you go then, you can't afford it because they charge too much.

I may complain that I wish it was cheaper but at the end of the day, it's not as important to me as other things I want/need to spend my money on so it is what it is.
      And what it is, is too expensive for you to justify having it - you just said so yourself.

The company is able to get customers charging that rate, so they should do it.
      Sorry, typical greed motivated mentality. Just because you think you can get more doesn't mean you automatically should. There are repercussions and they have to be accounted for before you simply charge more because you just, can.

There are plenty of things I'd like to be able to afford that I can't, but I've found that typically when I blame the company for being greedy it's just because I wish I could afford to pay for the product. That's the materialistic side of me coming out.
      You're going to have to give me your definition of what 'too expensive' and 'charges too much' is to you. Because you seem to be arguing with me but agreeing with my premise at the same time. If you blame a company for being greedy, it's more often than not because they are too greedy

There are people in this world that don't have clean water, healthy food and a roof over their heads at night so for me to complain about not being able to watch LFC on tv seems a bit petty.
      Which has absolutely f@ck all to do with Sky being too expensive. Nobody is arguing there are better things to spend your money on, the focus is that Sky charge too much
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #79: Jun 13, 2013 08:00:11 pm
      Kind of my point? Only every year people are feeling the price more and more. Me for one
      And for those that aren't plopping down their money - it's too expensive because they charge too much
      Bollocks. Tell that to an empty stadium
      Well there you go then, you can't afford it because they charge too much.
      And what it is, is too expensive for you to justify having it - you just said so yourself.
      Sorry, typical greed motivated mentality. Just because you think you can get more doesn't mean you automatically should. There are repercussions and they have to be accounted for before you simply charge more because you just, can.
      You're going to have to give me your definition of what 'too expensive' and 'charges too much' is to you. Because you seem to be arguing with me but agreeing with my premise at the same time. If you blame a company for being greedy, it's more often than not because they are too greedy
      Which has absolutely f@ck all to do with Sky being too expensive. Nobody is arguing there are better things to spend your money on, the focus is that Sky charge too much
      Not going to be drug into this with you, it's all relative, Sky are only charging too much if no one is willing to pay it. If there are enough people there to support their rates then they aren't charging too much. You or I might wish they charged less so as to make the decision or sacrifice we have to make to sign up easier or justifiable, but that's neither here nor there when it comes to them running their business. If people stop signing up they'll have to lower their rates, plain and simple. So don't be mad at Sky, be mad at the people willing to pay what they are asking because those are the folks that keep the rates high. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #80: Jun 13, 2013 08:03:31 pm
      One single £500 payment and then £150 a year for every channel and box office event if you a man that can ;).
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #81: Jun 16, 2013 05:30:00 pm
      Not going to be drug into this with you, it's all relative, Sky are only charging too much if no one is willing to pay it. If there are enough people there to support their rates then they aren't charging too much. You or I might wish they charged less so as to make the decision or sacrifice we have to make to sign up easier or justifiable, but that's neither here nor there when it comes to them running their business. If people stop signing up they'll have to lower their rates, plain and simple. So don't be mad at Sky, be mad at the people willing to pay what they are asking because those are the folks that keep the rates high. 

You are absolutely right with that FL, I don't have Sky because I refuse to pay such a high price for it, I used to have it years ago but they priced themselves out of my market. Fortunately, I have BT Broadband and a Sky box with the Freesat deal I had a few years ago, so I will be able to get the BT games free.

I am under no illusions though, once BT have a decent share of the market the price will go up. Until then I shall enjoy it!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #82: Jun 21, 2013 11:02:03 pm
      Bye bye Firstrow?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #83: Jun 21, 2013 11:07:10 pm

They will just change their domain name or move it to another country, no way they will ever be able to fully block them.

If they don't, someone else will.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #84: Jun 21, 2013 11:08:46 pm
      They tried blocking the pirate bay ;D.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #85: Jun 21, 2013 11:10:58 pm
      That's what I was thinking

I'm pretty sure firstrow have been subjected to this in the past - they just changed their isp
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #86: Jun 21, 2013 11:12:35 pm
      Wish I could change my isp to something that won't lick ass when told to do so.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #87: Jun 21, 2013 11:24:10 pm
      Wish I could change my isp to something that won't lick ass when told to do so.

Proxies and VPNs are easy bypasses.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #88: Jun 21, 2013 11:26:53 pm
      Proxies and VPNs are easy bypasses.
      I'm aware, but living in the country I get sh*te internet speeds so proxies are almost impossible to bare.

Quick Reply