Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?

Read 9909 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?
      Reply #23: May 02, 2013 09:14:27 pm
      I'd fork out a good amount of money for a Premier League sports package that shows every game live.

But Sky have too much control for that to happen.

Exactly! This is the point I was discussing with a friend not long ago. My objection is not (solely) with the prices that Sky / ESPN / BT or any other provider charge, my issue is that by securing coverage rights, they massively restrict what you can watch. They choose the games that will be screened live and even though they have cameras and commentators at all EPL grounds, you can't see the footage of any other games legally in the UK.
      I don't have Sky but they used to give you the option during some European games to select your match via the red button. Why can't they do that with the EPL?
      Divide TV money equally between clubs or even based on predicted viewing figures and show the same adverts on each channel, giving sponsors exposure to fans of clubs at the same time. They'd still retain the option of sending their favourite commentary teams to Old Trafford!
      This is by far the most popular sport in this country and unless you can get access to tickets (not always possible even if you can afford them), you have no (legal) way of watching it, even though it is being recorded. Criminal.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24: May 02, 2013 09:27:20 pm
      I can't really comment on this because here in the States, one network holds the rights to the Premier League. Completely different market of course.

But speaking of which, thank God Fox Soccer no longer has the Prem rights. NBC looks very promising.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #25: May 02, 2013 09:28:16 pm
      I can't really comment on this because here in the States, one network holds the rights to the Premier League. Completely different market of course.

But speaking of which, thank God Fox Soccer no longer has the Prem rights. NBC looks very promising.

Is it a similar thing there, where they pick which match to show or can you select?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #26: May 02, 2013 09:31:12 pm
      They should do what happens in America and blackout games within a certain mile radius that are not sold out. If Attendance is an issue for not going down that route then that's a good solution.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #27: May 02, 2013 09:36:17 pm
      Is it a similar thing there, where they pick which match to show or can you select?

Yeah, Fox only shows so many live ones of their choosing on their main FSC channel, ESPN2 has 1 per weekend. Some are tape-delayed. Fox will show all the others, but you need FSC Plus or pay for their stream ("Fox Soccer to Go"). If our game isn't on FSC or ESPN 2, I live stream it.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: May 03, 2013 03:07:25 pm
      More competition for viewers might lead to lower prices, won't affect me anyway, I only use live streams ; -)

Correct lad! Thats the way to be or go round ur mates to use them for Sky haha! Has to be done!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #29: May 03, 2013 09:45:14 pm
      Looking forward to BT getting some games, they've got a good little presenter in Jake Humphrey there (well I liked him on the F1 for sure).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: May 03, 2013 10:04:13 pm
      Looking forward to BT getting some games, they've got a good little presenter in Jake Humphrey there (well I liked him on the F1 for sure).

Yeah I like Jake Humphrey as well. Thought he was brilliant alongside DC and Eddie Jordan presenting F1.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31: May 04, 2013 12:32:06 am
      Great until you get caught doing it. The random numbers in the top right has something to do with it. I read some where that sky use a unique number and can monitor who/where is watching and whether the card is registered to the venue game or film is being watched.

Those random numbers you speak of are the actual numbers of your viewing card mate. It's on all Sky boxes, it's just their way of monitoring people who stream their channels online i think.

There are a few pubs round my way that have these French satellite thingys that seem to pick up everything. I'd love to have one myself.

If anyone has any information on how to do this then could they please PM me.

Thank you.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #32: May 04, 2013 12:05:00 pm
      Those random numbers you speak of are the actual numbers of your viewing card mate. It's on all Sky boxes, it's just their way of monitoring people who stream their channels online i think.

There are a few pubs round my way that have these French satellite thingys that seem to pick up everything. I'd love to have one myself.

If anyone has any information on how to do this then could they please PM me.

Thank you.
      Just use google to find some satellite forums mate. That's what I did and I've had no problems all season. That's the best way to get contacts as you'll need a host to get the CCCam information to input into your box.

Also, be wary of some sites. I paid for a month trial to a site which had every sky channel, but the connection was awful because they had too many customers using the same server so everything lagged annoyingly. I just recently found out that the site has disappeared. It was a scam.

Just have to try get yourself a trial period maybe to watch out for that.

Good luck.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #33: May 04, 2013 12:41:26 pm
      Stop talking about such matters, you'll bring the world crashing down. ;)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #34: May 05, 2013 01:08:11 pm
      Just use google to find some satellite forums mate. That's what I did and I've had no problems all season. That's the best way to get contacts as you'll need a host to get the CCCam information to input into your box.

Also, be wary of some sites. I paid for a month trial to a site which had every sky channel, but the connection was awful because they had too many customers using the same server so everything lagged annoyingly. I just recently found out that the site has disappeared. It was a scam.

Just have to try get yourself a trial period maybe to watch out for that.  ;)

Good luck.

Stop talking about such matters, you'll bring the world crashing down. ;)

Thank you xSkyline.

Exiled, i was just curious mate. I would never dream of entering into such a seedy world!.  ;)
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #35: May 05, 2013 09:43:06 pm
      I don't know that much about it but you can purchase satellite equipment - all legit - and watch premiership football but paying a foreign supplier.  I believe some pubs even do it after that landmark case where that landlady took the premier league through the european courts (more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054 ).

I think some of the football can be found free if you have a motorised dish too.  The only downside for some, is that the match commentary might not be in English (but that can be a good thing as most commentators talk sh*te anyway).
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #36: May 06, 2013 12:44:40 pm
      I don't know that much about it but you can purchase satellite equipment - all legit - and watch premiership football but paying a foreign supplier.  I believe some pubs even do it after that landmark case where that landlady took the premier league through the european courts (more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054 ).

I think some of the football can be found free if you have a motorised dish too.  The only downside for some, is that the match commentary might not be in English (but that can be a good thing as most commentators talk sh*te anyway).
      You need a pretty big dish (at least 1.1m) to pick up on most of those satellites. Depending on where you stay or which satellite you want to pick up it may have to be even bigger.

In that article you could do what that pub landlady did and purchase a foreign card to get their games live. Which is a good thing if you have a big enough dish as there is a service, AD sports, that offers every BPL game in english, but you need a dish around 2m at least for that.

Oh yeah, AD Sports costs £80 a year. You heard that right.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #37: May 06, 2013 01:33:14 pm
      In Australia, I pay roughly £30 a month for foxtel, which includes every EPL game (as well as 50 or so other channels). Is that dear compared to Sky?

Also, what's BT?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #38: May 06, 2013 04:29:06 pm
      In Australia, I pay roughly £30 a month for foxtel, which includes every EPL game (as well as 50 or so other channels). Is that dear compared to Sky?

Also, what's BT?

British Telecom.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39: May 07, 2013 10:49:15 am
      BT Sport Channels have popped up on sky now at 445 and 447.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #40: May 07, 2013 01:53:03 pm

What did you think about him on Bedtime Live?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #41: Jun 05, 2013 08:20:54 pm
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #42: Jun 05, 2013 08:43:21 pm
      not for me, I have a Sky box and BT broadband  :oranje:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #43: Jun 05, 2013 09:08:32 pm
      Well, some of that article's completely wrong. It works out cheaper than what she tells you. Trust me on that.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #44: Jun 05, 2013 09:11:42 pm
      I was paying around $5 per month for a sports package that included Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Soccer Plus.  All of our games were on live except towards the end of the season (the live games were relegation battles and top four battles). From what it looks like NBC,s channels will be carrying every Prem game live with no extra charge.  NBC, NBC Sports, mSNBC, CNBC, USA, and a couple other channels which are all part of the basic package here.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #45: Jun 05, 2013 10:26:43 pm
      In theory, it should result in being able to view games for cheaper prices. However, we all know how the Premier League operate and it is likely to result in higher bidding wars between providers, increasing consumer prices.

Question for everyone, as I am clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff. To get the channel, do you have to have a BT Broadband service? Also, can you get access to the channel from other providers such as Virgin or Sky?

Quick Reply