Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

The Summer

Read 2766 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      The Summer
      May 11, 2013 10:16:57 am
      I might be suffering form premature TOPICation, what with there still being two games of the current season left, but let's face it these are nothing more than pre-pre-season games!

I remember a time when I used to get excited about the build up to the new season, I remember thinking, A few more good signings this season and we'll be genuine title contenders. Well that never worked out, but at least the hope was there. How I miss those days!

All pre seasons are important, but the longer we go without challenging for the title, the more important they become.
      This summer is going to be nerve-racking for me, we have the transfer window, which will give us a good indication of whether or not there will be any reason to be optimistic for the coming season. Will our team be weakened by Reina and Suarez leaving, Or be made stronger with a few signings that are an improvement on what we currently have?
      Having no international tournaments is a plus, as it means less injury worries and fresher players for the next campaign.

My hopes are, that the squad is sufficiently strengthened, the new players are brought in quickly to give them time to gel, the kids that made the breakthrough last season are given more game time in the pre season games, and also that we build up a winning mentality in those games.

I'm both excited and worried in equal measure!
      How do you think the summer will pan out?
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: The Summer
      Reply #1: May 11, 2013 10:23:53 am
      I might be suffering form premature TOPICation, what with there still being two games of the current season left, but let's face it these are nothing more than pre-pre-season games!

We can finish above the Bitters! Thats more than pre season for me.

How many times has it been said over recent years that "Its going to be a big summer", I'm sick of hearing even myself say it!

Everyone needs to step up, the owners, the manager everyone involved otherwise we will become a top 7 or 8 team if the trend continues.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #2: May 11, 2013 11:33:07 am
      Every summer we kind of believed next season will be ours. This may be the first one with more worries than confidence to into next season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #3: May 11, 2013 11:50:36 am
      Hope it's warm, the ashes start!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: May 11, 2013 12:19:03 pm
      Don't think I've ever felt so flat about footy, ever.  Not just because of our abject failure this season but the season as a whole.

I'm neither excited nor worried, just apathetic and that hurts more than a drubbing by the bitters.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,939 posts | 285 
      Reply #5: May 11, 2013 12:20:45 pm
      Scum, Toffees, Citee, Chelski and possibly Spuds (AVB>Real links) will all be starting with new managers and its going to take time for them all to settle and start communicating their new ideas to their squads. We need to act fast in the summer and get the new heads in where we need them quickly, and can then work on gelling the group together for the start of next season when we can hopefully get off to a flyer.

Everyone else is going to strengthen and probably have a larger budget, but i can see for the first few months of next season some funky results for the big teams with all these new heads at the helms and we need to capitalize on these types of opportunities.

I actually hope we get a similar run of fixtures as we did at the start of this season so we can be the close knit side and smash these new setups down.

I have hope with our transfers, i just hope we do get players of the caliber of Coutinho and Sturridge who we had all heard of and we're aware were promising before they signed - the likes of Tello & Eriksen would make me very happy indeed. The worry is getting the unknowns in as around 1/10 - 1/20 signing pull off (likes of Assaidi), and the reality is we need at least 2 "promising" players to kick on and really fight for 4th, if we get 4 of that ilk, i can see it being a very nice 2014 but i think that's a bit farfetched, hopefully I'm proved wrong.

With that said, i tend to say sh*t like this every season recently, so i don't know if just the time of year but i do have a sense of belief we can get back where we belong next if we get our house in order quickly this summer.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: May 11, 2013 12:22:14 pm
      Funny thing is the lowered expectations people are having will work out for the best
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #7: May 11, 2013 01:24:05 pm
      I dont know Brian i cant ever recall a moment when lfc lowered our expectations as they have now ,feel a bit like Debs just flat ,just fed up of the bullshit we have been fed on , and players saying we have improved and are getting there ,well we have been getting there for a long time now, just hope the summer revives my batteries and my appetite for the game.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #8: May 11, 2013 01:33:09 pm
      I dont know Brian i cant ever recall a moment when lfc lowered our expectations as they have now ,feel a bit like Debs just flat ,just fed up of the bullshit we have been fed on , and players saying we have improved and are getting there ,well we have been getting there for a long time now, just hope the summer revives my batteries and my appetite for the game.

Another corner turned ;)
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #9: May 11, 2013 02:23:38 pm

I feel exactly the same as you and Debs, just flat. I normally hate the close season and can't wait for the new season to start, this time I'm not bothered, if I'm honest I will be glad to see the back of this season, and I can't see things being much different next season.
      The whole place is flat, we need a huge lift, just can't see it happening though.

ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #10: May 11, 2013 04:36:57 pm
      I feel exactly the same as you and Debs, just flat. I normally hate the close season and can't wait for the new season to start, this time I'm not bothered, if I'm honest I will be glad to see the back of this season, and I can't see things being much different next season.
      The whole place is flat, we need a huge lift, just can't see it happening though.

If our first couple of signings were big names it would be a lift!
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #11: May 11, 2013 04:41:16 pm

Ashley Williams is the most experienced player we have been linked to, right? :(
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #12: May 11, 2013 04:44:51 pm

Absolutely agree, but somehow I cannot see us signing 'big names'. Let's just say that Ashley Williams isn't going to do it! Lift us that is.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: May 11, 2013 04:48:20 pm

Liverpool FC no longer do "big names" they cost too much money  >:(
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14: May 11, 2013 10:51:27 pm
      Liverpool FC no longer do "big names" they cost too much money  >:(
      Would Eriksen count as a big name? He would be a great first signing.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15: May 11, 2013 10:57:38 pm
      Think this post belongs in the "ridiculous nonsense sport" thread! :P ;D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #16: May 12, 2013 01:03:05 pm
      Don't think I've ever felt so flat about footy, ever.  Not just because of our abject failure this season but the season as a whole.

I'm neither excited nor worried, just apathetic and that hurts more than a drubbing by the bitters.

Same here Debs.

The slight of hand trick of lowering expectations by subtly not doing what's required, ie not signing a striker, seems to be the modus operandi at the moment.

I live in hope that it's a master plan to grow the finances and then slap us in the face with a summer of genius signings and a treble next year.

Dream the F***ing dream people.

Quick Reply