Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Pre-season - No longer about the team?

Read 2719 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Pre-season - No longer about the team?
      May 10, 2013 09:59:21 pm
      I see we have a game in cape town for pre season. I think I seen Australia mentioned also. Before I go any further let me say that I know how amazing it must be for people in those regions to see there beloved reds. However....

To me pre season should be about getting the fitness back geling the new signings with the established and getting a few games to bring match sharpness back. Whatever about fitness camps in the alps and playing some local side over there thats not a problem. Come back after a week train at home and get games in against sides in there own pre season from the lower leagues, an example for this summer could be Blackburn and Wolves. Then maybe the week before the league starts get a game in against a top European side.

I believe that travelling half way around the world cant be beneficial towards fitness/sharpness and is now more about getting the brand out there and selling shirts and tracksuits etc. Maybe coming back a week earlier and heading off to the likes of Australia and South Africa then rather then travelling at a time when the squad should be working on the training ground?

I understand the need to sell merchandise is huge and that by the team physically being in these countries helps with sales, but that it should not come before the benefits the team not travelling these distances at a time when rest and relaxation after training is vital     
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2013 02:36:41 pm by Reslivo »
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Re: pre season- No longer about the team?
      Reply #1: May 10, 2013 10:06:29 pm
      Completely agree, its all about the brand and generating the mular rather than fitness, but also generates a good opportunity for fans who would not have another opportunity to see the team in action, so has pro's and con's. As long as we have a relaxing 2 weeks before the season commences with maybe a home friendly during that period, then thats all the recovery time pro athletes really need in my op.

FYI - South Africa trip looks cancelled too: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/south-africa-visit-cancelled
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #2: May 10, 2013 11:58:45 pm
      It's been quite a while now Brian since pre season was actually about getting players and a squad ready for the season ahead.

First and foremost it's about raising awareness of the 'brand' and selling merchandise and the manager has to fit his plans in around this.
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2013 12:10:12 am by srslfc »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: May 11, 2013 12:04:21 am
      It's been quite a while now Brian since pre season was actually about getting players and a squad ready for the season ahead.

Firts and foremost it's about raising awareness of the 'brand' and selling merchandise and the manager has to fit his plans in around this.

This is correct Si, the offal has a pretty cool article on the first ever "tour" pretty cool to see the history.

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #4: May 11, 2013 12:30:20 am
      Why are we surprised by this. Get with the times chaps.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #5: May 11, 2013 04:21:57 am
      This is correct Si, the offal has a pretty cool article on the first ever "tour" pretty cool to see the history.

Amazing. Great to see the greatest goalkeeper our clubs ever had on there.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #6: May 11, 2013 06:06:09 am
      after a plane trip to australia these kids will look forward to and embrace champions league flights around europe!! the flying will be part of the fun! this is probably a small part of it, team bonding and the like.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #7: May 11, 2013 08:58:37 am
      Not to be too picky but since when did flying be part of the fun in football , i thought winning trophys was the fun part ,and a small part how are they to embrace champions league flights ,last time i looked we were not in it.

Plus flying if you have niggling injuries is no good for you at all. I see it all about selling the brand as we have become , nothing to do with getting ready to assault the league ,sadly a sign of the times.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: May 11, 2013 12:15:36 pm
      Shouldn't this just be..

Football... Now just about the money
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #9: May 11, 2013 12:17:15 pm
      Not to be too picky but since when did flying be part of the fun in football , i thought winning trophys was the fun part ,and a small part how are they to embrace champions league flights ,last time i looked we were not in it.

Plus flying if you have niggling injuries is no good for you at all. I see it all about selling the brand as we have become , nothing to do with getting ready to assault the league ,sadly a sign of the times.

Well we have got a new range of Warrior kits to sell!!

Why are we surprised by this. Get with the times chaps.

The times they are a'changin'

There was a time when we wouldn't even have a friendly at Anfield. But then we were constantly winning trophies then!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #10: May 11, 2013 12:31:30 pm
      the money decides everything in football it can longer be called the working mans game. Some may say that's a good thing but if I had a choice of sitting in the Kop sucking wine gums watching tiki taka or watching from the Kop with 20,000+watching the greats its a no brainer.
      ~Its just a reflection of football as a business not a sport.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: May 11, 2013 12:39:02 pm
      One positive thing about pre season games in far away countrys is the climate, the travelling sucks, but it must be nice for the players to train with the Sun shining for a change.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #12: May 11, 2013 03:39:41 pm
      The like of manutd also do the same and they still win titles.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #13: May 12, 2013 12:45:37 pm
      They should be doing what big teams used to do. Tour the smaller clubs in the area and give them a boost whilst preparing your players for preseason without the need for travel and in what are actual friendly matches without the need to worry about injuries.

That was the 90s/early 00s though. I'm still a bit annoyed that the last Premier League side to play a friendly at Lancaster City were the scum and I have to look at their massive commemorative shield we have in the office every day. A Liverpool one would look much nicer.

Pipe dreams etc. Who cares about grassroots anymore. Half the people in Lancaster already support Liverpool and buy the shirts and halfy scarves.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: May 12, 2013 12:54:22 pm

only 3 'backs', love it. ;D

As for the question, it's all about the money and selling sh*t. F**k the football, if it don't gain $'s then drop it.

I'm becoming very cynical.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15: May 12, 2013 02:22:16 pm

Because Footballers are real people as well with lives outside of Football?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Re: Pre-season - No longer about the team?
      Reply #16: May 12, 2013 02:41:12 pm
      Because Footballers are rich real people as well with lives outside of Football?

There, sorted for you!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #17: May 12, 2013 03:58:45 pm
      Because Footballers are real people as well with lives outside of Football?
      And what has their lives outside of football got to do with pre season?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: May 14, 2013 08:59:56 pm
      I'd rather play teams in a warmer and tougher climate and with previous match fitness than a lower league team who is also in pre season.

The fitter your opposition the more work you do in the match. That's the best pre season work you can do IMO.

Quick Reply