Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?

Read 19498 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?
      Reply #115: May 22, 2013 03:10:24 pm
      Alot depends on who comes in this summer to be honest, having said that the first thing we need to be is more consistent, once we have that confidence will soar and so will our league position, i can understand the doubters having doubts as in regards to Brendan being the right man or not, maybe those doubters were expecting to much in Brendan's first season in charge, maybe, but we have to remember that Liverpool as opposed to Swansea are on a different level, and although the Job he did at the Liberty was hugely admirable we cannot compere that to our finishing 7th this season, he has admitted himself that this first season was that  of a learning curve and he made mistakes along the way,
      his next season will be a testing time for him because he will need to be more forward thinking and more decisive when it comes to those pivotal moments in matches when he has to turn 1 potential point into 3, it's been one of our downfalls this season in that 13 matches were drawn, potentially a further 26pts lost,
      we have to consider we had only one striker for half the season and the fact so many players adjusting to the new philosophy,

i like Brendan, i like what he is trying to do, i can see real potential in his methods and he is open to change things if he feels his original ideas are not working, he's not afraid to try new things even if only for one half of a match, i like the way he encourages the young lads in the U21's and academy by getting them involved with the first team whether they play or not,

this season alone we have seen the debuts of Raheem Sterling, Suso, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Jordan Ibe, i can't remember past managers allowing so many young lads a chance to experience life with first teamers in a single season, so hats off to him, and all those young lads wiil have their ego's boosted and their confidence raised by the experience, it also sends a message to other young lads that by getting your nut down and working hard they too could be making their debuts,

to answer the question posed, i believe we WILL be challenging for at least a CL position next season, with Scum having a new gaffer along with their noisy neighbours, i would doubt they will be as dominant as they have been recently, Chavs to me will be the front runners they have a more settled and balanced squad(thx to Rafa), Gooners will be their usual ''anywhere in the top 4 will do us'', Spuds will be up there for sure but to be honest i can't see them being above us,

so i can see us being a major threat to anyone who finished above us this term, put it this way, they will be more worried about us than we will of them, and i like that i really do,
      like i said, it will depend on who Brendan brings in this summer, and if he can bring in the sort of quality we have seen in Coutinho & Sturridge then we could all be dancing in the streets around Anfield come the end of May,

''Ah, we can but dream'' can't we !

Oh, and a decent cup run to boot !

IBWT              YNWA            JFT96     

Good post mate, +1. I agree that Chelsea will be big dangers next season to all, they have an extremely strong squad of players.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #116: May 22, 2013 11:22:02 pm
      I'm not suggesting anything really. The question is not what we need to do in order to progress, it's what the manager would need to do in order to win some people over. My own feeling is that for some people, it doesn't really matter what he does. It just so happens that he isn't the person that some people want, and because of that they won't accept him fully no matter what.

Sorry but that's absolute rubbish, 'won't be accepted no matter what', who would have a problem with Brendan should he challenge for the title? Should he win it? No one, but actually all most of us want is a squad of our quality getting into the top four. You seem to have set the bar very low by just asking for a top 6 place to remain in 'group Brendan', hardly an achievement to ask our Club to be above the likes of Everton, West Brom or Swansea.

Not many people really wanted Brendan, but it's who we have and we have to keep supporting, and at the match he gets the support, even from those who remain unconvinced, because he is our manager. I'll give him due that he has refined his over passing, but the main problem most people I know have with Brendan is his inexperience and that he is learning on the job, because our Club deserves the finished article, but we cannot change this and have to hope he learns quickly.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #117: May 23, 2013 02:35:45 am
      Keep doing what he has done. Improving the squad with quality players and have us challenging for a top four position next year. We are no longer a team which will compete with Man City or United but I trust Rodgers to get us there in the next couple of years.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #118: May 24, 2013 06:14:45 pm
      Sorry but that's absolute rubbish, 'won't be accepted no matter what', who would have a problem with Brendan should he challenge for the title? Should he win it? No one, but actually all most of us want is a squad of our quality getting into the top four. You seem to have set the bar very low by just asking for a top 6 place to remain in 'group Brendan', hardly an achievement to ask our Club to be above the likes of Everton, West Brom or Swansea.

Not many people really wanted Brendan, but it's who we have and we have to keep supporting, and at the match he gets the support, even from those who remain unconvinced, because he is our manager. I'll give him due that he has refined his over passing, but the main problem most people I know have with Brendan is his inexperience and that he is learning on the job, because our Club deserves the finished article, but we cannot change this and have to hope he learns quickly.

Don't be sorry, it's OK. You're right in the sense that if we won the title people would swing in behind the manager, and in that sense I exaggerated a bit. I may be wrong, but I can't help thinking that if we merely "challenged" for it however there would be people claiming that Brendans inexperience had cost us the ultimate prize, we would have won it with such and such and the like.

And I haven't "set the bar" at the top six at all, I'm merely coming at it from the angle of someone who believes in the manager and I'm saying how bad it would have to be for me to lose belief. My bar isn't set at top six, it's top one (and as I've said a few times, I think we WILL challenge for the title for part of next season) it's just that if we don't, I'm not about to stick the knife into a manager who hasn't even had two full seasons. Of course that would change if we finished mid table or it looked likely. However much any of us want to back the manager, a Hodgsonesque performance would obviously call for a re-think. Where I differ with some of the doubters however is that I don't expect as a minimum a new manager to come in and with minimal investment have us shooting up the league. You obviously do and fair play, I don't.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #119: May 24, 2013 10:00:30 pm

Not many people really wanted Brendan, but it's who we have and we have to keep supporting, and at the match he gets the support, even from those who remain unconvinced, because he is our manager. I'll give him due that he has refined his over passing, but the main problem most people I know have with Brendan is his inexperience and that he is learning on the job, because our Club deserves the finished article but we cannot change this and have to hope he learns quickly.
      A lot of people have said that's their problem with Brendan, but a manager with more top flight experience would still have to come in and re-shape the squad to suit his tactics, that would still take time.
      We should remember that Souness and Hodgson both came with experience, and both had a detrimental effect on the clubs fortunes.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #120: May 31, 2013 12:35:21 am
      As Ottmar Hitzfeld said when he left Bayern, it's a great job as long as you win trophies.

A manager of Liverpool has to compete to win trophies, league or cups. Rodgers has never won anything, so winning a cup next season and competing very hard for a Champions League spot like Spurs did this year would ensure him more time IMO.

He needs to prove he can be a winner. Otherwise he's wasting our time.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #121: May 31, 2013 02:55:32 pm
      Stop sucking up to the rotten British press. Every damn time they attacked Luis and made a bloody storm to f*ck him, BR went out of his way to tell all the media how he agreed with the journalists, and what a horrible person Luis was, and how he was going to severely discipline him. I guess he probably was thinking he had to do it or else he was going to end up like Kenny... but that's a loser mindset.

Give your full support to your players, bampot. F*ck FSG.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #122: May 31, 2013 06:56:05 pm
      He really talks about football very well it all makes sense and he is a very likeable fella its hard to get too angry with him.
      But because he does not have any sort of record of winning trophies either as a player or manager there is this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that he doesn't actually believe in himself enough. I was a bit shocked that Jamie retired when its clear he could have gone on for another couple of seasons and it makes me wonder if the players like him who are born winners have fully bought into Brendan's methods.I think Brendan would be a good manager if he gets his nose in front early on in the season and we need a good start fingers crossed we find another 4 or 5 Couhtino's.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #123: May 31, 2013 06:59:14 pm
      Reveal the 3 names in the envelope.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #124: May 31, 2013 07:03:21 pm

Probably been steamed open and changed since last August!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #125: May 31, 2013 07:45:50 pm

;D

You get a prize for guessing.
      Fergies autobiography    with that trick in it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #126: May 31, 2013 08:27:45 pm
      Probably been steamed open and changed since last August!!

Changed to Suarez, Reina & Skrtel!  :D
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #127: May 31, 2013 09:44:26 pm
      .... and organise the defence better at set pieces.

Any news on that defensive coach?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #128: May 31, 2013 09:49:08 pm
      Bringing in the right players over the Summer would go some way to convincing people, especially after the underwhelming summer we had last year!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #129: May 31, 2013 10:07:27 pm
      Stop sucking up to the rotten British press. Every damn time they attacked Luis and made a bloody storm to f*ck him, BR went out of his way to tell all the media how he agreed with the journalists, and what a horrible person Luis was, and how he was going to severely discipline him. I guess he probably was thinking he had to do it or else he was going to end up like Kenny... but that's a loser mindset.

+1,  because I agree with your initial statement, but cant remember him bad mouthing Luis tho'. He's come out with some sh*t in the past, but hopefully, he will have learnt.  If he keeps Luis for this season, then he'll go up in my estimation
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #130: May 31, 2013 10:16:30 pm

What a load of bullshit! BR defended supported Suarez as much as he could under the circumstances, he was asked about certain situations and gave honest answers!
      I doubt there's any chance of you being convinced, your mind seem made up already!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #131: May 31, 2013 10:17:29 pm
      Win us some silverware would certainly help!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #132: May 31, 2013 10:35:06 pm
      It'll only be a matter of time before Brendan gets blamed by some for Suarez leaving (if he does). It'll be "Luis obviously didn't buy into Rodgers project" and "he saw for himself that Rodgers was only a Championship manager, he would have stayed if (insert name here) had been in charge". Mark my words.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #133: May 31, 2013 11:17:14 pm
      It'll only be a matter of time before Brendan gets blamed by some for Suarez leaving (if he does). It'll be "Luis obviously didn't buy into Rodgers project" and "he saw for himself that Rodgers was only a Championship manager, he would have stayed if (insert name here) had been in charge". Mark my words.

What, you mean it hasn't started already? ;D

I myself tend to blame the two American clowns more than BR, tho. He's their man; in the end, he's just following orders.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #134: May 31, 2013 11:30:13 pm
      What, you mean it hasn't started already? ;D

I myself tend to blame the two American clowns more than BR, tho. He's their man; in the end, he's just following orders.

What?, the blame game is getting boring.

No blame at the door of either FSG or Rodgers.

Rodgers not won me over yet but to blame him for this Suarez circus would be mischievous by some.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #135: May 31, 2013 11:50:46 pm

Wow. What stunning sh*te.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #136: Jun 02, 2013 04:39:54 pm
      I like BR and his playing philosophy. But I think his "talk" is too much. Has an answer for everything and everything rolls  off his tongue. Personally I think a trophy and real top 4 push (god I hate this top 4 sh*te) will silence the doubters..
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #137: Jun 02, 2013 04:47:44 pm
      If he delivers a trophy and top 4 on the back of losing Reina, Carra and Suarez, he'll do much more than convince me.

I feel next season could be another 'transitional' season and the discussions in this place could become quite interesting regarding the £100m and expectations spending that much should bring. I personally am lowering my expectations after losing 3 players of such calibre but some would suggest that spending £100m you should raise them, odd that.

I expect very inconsistent results and an improvement in the second half of the season, the situation may well buy Brendan a 3rd year from my perspective because expecting too much on the back of these circumstances would be foolish. As for having a title challenge, I think that kind of talk is way off what will actually transpire.

I will say that I could see plenty of logic in adding depth in potential stars and not blowing the money on just 3 or 4 stars and give them the experience of the premier league this year with a proper challenge from a cohesive hungry group next year but that might be seen as giving him too much time by some. I don't see us replacing Luis/Carra and Reina + mounting a consistent challenge if I'm honest, but I'll wait and see who we get in to firmly set my expectations.

Quick Reply