Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?

Read 19576 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?
      Reply #138: Jun 02, 2013 04:54:06 pm
      A thing I have been hearing about recently is because of English teams doing badly in Europe, the amount of CL places allocated to the Premier League is going to go down to 3 pretty soon if the trend continues. Apparantly Chelsea winning the CL last year and the Europa this year are the only reason we still have 4.

If it does go down to 3 that will be a disaster for us, as well as the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

I know some will disagree but I would love to see less places for CL qualification.  That should be the incentive to work harder. To never give up til the final whistle.  In my eyes only the league winners should be in it. That means more emphasis on trying to achieve what we all desire. Champions of England!
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #139: Jun 02, 2013 08:20:03 pm
      He needs to win more games. Champions League qualification and challenging for a cup will hopefully flow from that but last season Liverpool struggled against the top sides and were bullied by lower ranking teams.  We lost too many matches.  Amid that we got some thumping wins and played some great footy but we were wildly inconsistent.  Going forward we were one of the best teams in the league but in the transition to defending we were terrible and exposed so many times.  He and the coaching staff need to sort this out and make us more compact without losing the flowing nature of our attacking play.  If we buy and sell quite a few players as seems possible at the moment then it will make his job harder in the short term because of players bedding in.  But thats his job and this season he will be judged more critically and our points tally needs to improve significantly IMO.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #140: Jun 02, 2013 11:32:27 pm
      Win games.

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #141: Jun 03, 2013 09:48:06 am
      Reveal the 3 names in the envelope.

Bet it was
      1 - Brendan Rodgers
      2 - Colin Pascoe
      3- Joe Allen
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #142: Jun 03, 2013 10:39:35 am
      Win a trophy or top 4 not expecting anything less or it will be a failure. Are we in EL through fair play or what?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #143: Jun 03, 2013 11:15:21 am
      Win a trophy or top 4 not expecting anything less or it will be a failure. Are we in EL through fair play or what?
      ..................funny guy. :lmao: :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #144: Jun 03, 2013 01:58:32 pm
      Are we in EL through fair play or what?

Was decided about three weeks ago or something and no we aren't. Sweden, Norway and Finland were the teams chosen this year.

And to be honest having seen where the final is I'm kind of glad we aren't in the tournament this year! Brendan must of already knew!!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #145: Jun 04, 2013 07:12:04 am
      Well he can't use the 'too many games' arguement next season thats for sure
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #146: Jun 04, 2013 07:44:25 am
      Someone posted this link on RAWK yesterday -thought it was a good summary of the way Brendan has changed our basic play.

To anyone interested in tactics it shows what a good "footballing" manager he is and, if the transfer committee can do the job, how we don't necessarily need superstars - ie the "team is the star". For me that's pretty convincing that he is the manor the job and needs time, support and backing from the fans and the owners - who, by the way, took a lot of stick for "not knowing anything about football".

An Interpretation Of Liverpool FC Philosophy on Vimeo
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #147: Jun 07, 2013 12:17:44 am
      He needs to be in a close battle for a top 4 and at least a cup semi final.  He also needs to get a bit angry. Stop sweet talking everyone in  'the group' and rattle a few cages. He just doesn't seem to be fired up enough for me, never shows enough passion, even when we're winning.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #148: Jun 07, 2013 01:22:10 am
      convince? WIN THE LEAGUE!!! I'll be convinced
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #149: Jun 07, 2013 05:18:36 pm
      reading the recent interview of Ayre ,
      this part he talked abt cl football :
      "Our ambition is to get there. Whether we do that
      one year, two years or three, we will see. That's
      where Liverpool Football Club should be."
      really make feel how swiftly we ve setteled for mediocrity..not saying to press the panic button but with such kind of attitude we are not goin anywhere ...Manu,chelsea,city,arsenal,sprus all aims for top spots and we are talkin abt improvement of ''5 points'' more then last season or better goal difference..i m positive person and i can see we got foundation bt still cant call it improvement..
      For me if we dont qualify for CL next year that wouldn't be improvement and if we settle  for anything less then top 4,would be worrying abt club's aspirations.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #150: Jun 07, 2013 06:01:21 pm
      I don't think you can isolate Brendan from FSG and Ayres and this may be his downfall with the fans eventually.
      Brendan is working with possibly the worst CEO in the clubs 121 year history coupled with owners who still have no idea what LFC is all about.
      I like Brendan who couldn't warm to him but I don't think he believes in himself enough to put these people in their place.
      If he does he will find people like me who are still not sure about him 100% behind him as a man.
      Come on Brendan we want YOU to be a legend .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #151: Jun 07, 2013 07:25:53 pm
      Walton Ayres is no way as bad as yer man in Cuban heels ;)

I'm not expecting Rodgers to break rank with our owners but I'm sure privately Rodgers may have raised concerns with them.

Bag a trophy and give a shot at the title should be enough to erase all doubts, not saying win the league but push as high as he possibly can.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #152: Jun 07, 2013 07:39:02 pm
      The problem Brendan has is, if he is seen to be too close to the owners, and tries to keep in their good books, then he risks being labeled a yes man. If he is seen to be too close to the supporters, then we could have another Kenny D situation.
      I'd say he has handled this season pretty well, and fans have warmed to him after a shakey start.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #153: Jun 07, 2013 11:33:45 pm
      Really wouldn't get your hopes up about next season . I mean sure we can improve, but you bet your life so will the other teams going for that top 4.

Talk about Arsenal spending 70 million?

City Spending 100 million

Scum also spending about 100 million

Chelsea with Mourinho?

Spurs if they keep Bale?

Nothing is impossible but I would be hugely surprised if we could make the top 4 next season. Mind you its probably starting to get to that time when we get the deluded people saying we should be aiming for the league and what not
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #154: Jun 08, 2013 12:16:47 am
      I don't think you can isolate Brendan from FSG and Ayres and this may be his downfall with the fans eventually.
      Brendan is working with possibly the worst CEO in the clubs 121 year history coupled with owners who still have no idea what LFC is all about.
      I like Brendan who couldn't warm to him but I don't think he believes in himself enough to put these people in their place.
      If he does he will find people like me who are still not sure about him 100% behind him as a man.
      Come on Brendan we want YOU to be a legend .

The strategy obviously worked out great for Rafa.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #155: Jun 08, 2013 12:55:39 am
      Get in the top 4 and no-one will give a damn about relationship with owners etc.

Sad to say it but we've been away too long, and would need the boost of champs league football to really spurn the club on, the yanks will also invest more once they start seeing the $$$'s come in - we wont see a 30mill+ target until then.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #156: Jun 09, 2013 09:42:09 pm

Sad to say it but we've been away too long, and would need the boost of champs league football to really spurn the club on, the yanks will also invest more once they start seeing the $$$'s come in - we wont see a 30mill+ target until then.

Agree and it's a catch 22 situation. No £30mil handouts from them until we get to the champions league and yet we may not get there until they do invest.

However this Moneyball thing might work out...

around about 2016
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #157: Jun 09, 2013 09:48:34 pm
      Really wouldn't get your hopes up about next season . I mean sure we can improve, but you bet your life so will the other teams going for that top 4.

Talk about Arsenal spending 70 million?

City Spending 100 million

Scum also spending about 100 million

Chelsea with Mourinho?

Spurs if they keep Bale?

Nothing is impossible but I would be hugely surprised if we could make the top 4 next season. Mind you its probably starting to get to that time when we get the deluded people saying we should be aiming for the league and what not

It's one thing about the culture of the Premier League today that even the fans think all the answers rest within the £ signs. Which is bollocks. It really is as Brendan so rightly said about outsmarting the opponent. In doing so we have to play the longer game ie buy young and get bargains and perhaps most importantly develop the wealth of talent we have in our own youth ranks. It's what they're doing in Germany but then again they play the long game and the Premier League doesn't because the Premier League is a short tempered, money spinning monster where the fans are sadly becoming incorporated within that obsession of expecting instant success. That is so wrong and so detrimental to the game in England. We shouldn't worry about what other teams are doing and how much they are spending. We only have to worry about ourselves and ask ourselves whether "this is working" and whether we are going in the right direction. Liverpool FC can do it a different way and we will do it a different way and not the way of the obscene money spinning shallow successes of Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #158: Jun 10, 2013 09:54:20 am
      For a starters, make the team more consistent and perform better against the "bigger" teams.

Stop coming out with bold statements in the press and lets do our talking on the pitch (this goes for the players too).

A cup win and a much improved final position would obviously help too.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #159: Jun 10, 2013 07:07:36 pm
      Winning the premiership won't go down bad, ha ha.  I think improvement is needed.  A good start to the season is vital something we haven't had in the last few years to ease the pressure.  The signing need to be better than last summer and closer to January.   I say closer to January because if we sign 5  players it is virtually impossible for all 5 of them to have an instant impact. 

I think we need to have more winning streaks.  It seemed we had to many win a game and drop points in another.  Need more 3 wins or in a row.  We need to tune up the defense. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #160: Jun 10, 2013 08:59:58 pm
      I said earlier in the thread that I think if we sort the defending out, we'll do a lot better and in turn push some of the doubters noses out of place.

But doubters are gonna doubt. No matter what happens for the best next season, people will still doubt him because he's lacking big time in honours. He hasn't come from abroad with a load of trophies to boast. In LFC terms, he's a massive gamble.

The only way the doubter will be turned, is by providing silverware.

Quick Reply