Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Scholes Announces Retirement (Again)

Read 3677 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Scholes Announces Retirement (Again)
      Reply #23: May 13, 2013 11:51:53 am
      Fantastic footballer, but probably the worst tackler I've ever seen for someone with that much quality on the ball!
      Pretty decent summing up there, anyone that has read Gerrard's first autobiography will know in how high regard Stevie rates Scholes from playing against him and even more so from training together at England. That for me in itself should make people of who ever they support recognise both are two truly great players of there time. One thing that can't be denied he was one of the sweetest striker of a ball the game has seen.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: May 13, 2013 01:35:33 pm
      In all honesty I think Scholes was a great player.

That said though, he was a miserable c**t too. It's amazing how the British press can turn Suarez into the devil reincarnate but at the same time find praise for the likes of Scholes and Keane. Scholes was a dirty cheat, not only his tackles were dirty, I also remember him playing volleyball quite a few times during his career to stop goals.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: May 13, 2013 02:32:33 pm
      So long Ginja Ninja
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: May 13, 2013 03:43:06 pm
      Outstanding player the likes of whom are few and far between in English football. Probably the worst tackler the Premier League has ever seen though. But he had bags of quality and intelligence. Something of an enigma personally as well. Never smiled, rarely heard him speak and was always something of an introvert it seems. A private man which was good to see.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: May 13, 2013 03:55:52 pm
      Outstanding player the likes of whom are few and far between in English football. Probably the worst tackler the Premier League has ever seen though. But he had bags of quality and intelligence. Something of an enigma personally as well. Never smiled, rarely heard him speak and was always something of an introvert it seems. A private man which was good to see.

Agreed he was very intelligent. I once read an interview with Xavi where he said he learned a lot by watching Scholes.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: May 14, 2013 02:16:35 am

Agree with all this, think because of it he was underrated by quite a lot of people. I actually thought he was United's best and most consistent player.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats
      • Started Topic

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #29: May 19, 2013 10:56:55 pm
      If ever a player proved he should retire Scholes did so with his 'sub' performance today  :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #30: May 19, 2013 11:08:47 pm
      He only came back out of his original retirement because their midfield was so sh*te.

Quick Reply