Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Kyriakos Papadopoulos (Schalke)

Read 47355 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Kyriakos Papadopoulos (Schalke)
      Reply #299: Aug 15, 2013 07:09:08 pm
      You can almost guarantee no new CB will come in unless one moves out.

Been happening all season.

And when you look at how many fixtures we may play this season, the reason is obvious.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #300: Aug 15, 2013 07:35:45 pm
      And when you look at how many fixtures we may play this season, the reason is obvious.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here 'berry (maybe you've explained this elsewhere) but I'm genuinely interested; how does how many games, we play, dictate transfer policy?

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #301: Aug 15, 2013 07:44:04 pm
      I'm not trying to be obtuse here 'berry (maybe you've explained this elsewhere) but I'm genuinely interested; how does how many games, we play, dictate transfer policy?

Quick answer.  Moving players on and creating space in your squad is a natural progression.

Long answer will be forthcoming, at work and not got time to type it out as present.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #302: Aug 15, 2013 07:45:54 pm
      Long answer will be forthcoming, at work and not got time to type it out as present.

No probs; I look forward to reading it, thanks.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #303: Aug 15, 2013 08:22:44 pm
      Looks like I'll be stuck here longer than I thought, so I'll copy and paste what I've posted before, with a few time enforced edits.

GK 1. Jones - 22. Mignolet
      RB 2. Johnson - 34 Kelly
      LB 3. Enrique
      CB 4. Toure - 5. Agger - 16. Coates - 37 Skrtel - 47. Wisdom
      CM 6. Alberto - 8. Gerrard 14 - Henderson - 21. Lucas 24 - Allen
      AF/W 10. Coutinho - 11. Assaidi - 31. Sterling - 44. Ibe
      FW 7. Suarez - 9. Aspas - 15. Sturridge 29 - Borini

Probably a few kids that will play a handful of games as well.

Looking at that, glaringly obvious we need another LB, we've got five trying for 3 positions in CM, like another, preferably better back up for Lucas but considering we could end up playing as few as forty games, not urgent.  Definitely think we need another option up front and if they can play in the attacking wide areas as well, all the better, especially with Downing gone. 

Looking at that, it seems we're waiting to get rid before replacing, maybe because it's hard to get shot of some players who may not be willing to leave such a lucrative gig.

Maximum of 14 players can play a game, our most played 14 last season managed a total of 542 performances between them.  Even if we reach both cup finals, we're looking at 724 starting berths or playing subs, so if we have a core of our team manage similar a amount of games, that only leaves 182 places, probably knocked down further by late time wasting subs and the fact that Rodgers didn't always use all 3 and even if that only occured in a third of games, we have that covered with only 7 more players, going by last years figures.

Checked a couple of teams and the figures hold, taking into account their may be a few more or less games played, 20-21 man squad cover the vast majority of the total starting berths & playing subs available.

I'm not saying we don't need better players in some areas, just saying it what has gone thusfar on makes sense to me at present.  Not saying I'm happy with the level of investment either.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #304: Aug 15, 2013 08:43:22 pm
      I'm not saying we don't need better players in some areas, just saying it makes sense to me, this season.
      I get your theory (I think) but surely, with the League being the primary objective, the sooner we can get "better players" in the better. If we need them, we need them.

I mean; if for whatever reason we don't qualify for Europe (Champions League, in particular) this season it becomes even harder to attract those better players. Maybe it's just me but (to my mind) the sooner Brendan get's the quality and players he "needs" 'round him the better... for all concerned.

If that means buying them without moving a player on first, so be it. To be honest I'd be well pissed if I thought our transfer policy centred around whether we can move players we don't need rather than signing players we do. Numbers or not.

Thanks for the info by the way.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #305: Aug 15, 2013 08:50:53 pm

I agree we should get them in, I do think they've been trying to get them in as well, been a shitload of work trying to secure a LB and we've discussed why that might have its own issues elsewhere.  I also think we'll see two more signings this window. As for the delay in signing players, I don't think it's that we have no money, it's that maybe we seem to be being a bit frugal with our wage offers and, again only from rumours and innuendo which are what most of us are working our various theories on, Ayre is starting to seem more and more of a liability.

But getting players out is just as important and one that is often over looked because we seem to focus on the incoming and very few give thought to how that'll effect the squad
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #306: Aug 15, 2013 09:04:40 pm
      But getting players out is just as important and one that is often over looked because we seem to focus on the incoming and very few give thought to how that'll effect the squad

To be honest I agree and I remember Kenny (and maybe even John Henry but don't quote me on that) praising how much hard work Comolli had put in to and how important that particular [unsung] aspect of transfers was.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #307: Aug 15, 2013 09:56:25 pm
      Bottom line is that the players going out the door part of the equation is pretty much taken care of now i'd say. With Carroll, Downing, Spearing, Reina, Suso, Robinson, Coady all off the wage bill for this season i'd say the squad is looking pretty bloody streamlined. We're a couple of nasty injuries away from being well and truly buggered when it comes to squad depth.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #308: Aug 15, 2013 10:33:54 pm
      If that means buying them without moving a player on first, so be it. To be honest I'd be well pissed if I thought our transfer policy centred around whether we can move players we don't need rather than signing players we do. Numbers or not.

Me too but it does appear to be the case especially this summer.

I see Rodders point about the number of games we are only likely to play this season but I think it would be veru short sighted to focus all our transfer plans just onhow many games we have this season.

We should be always building a squad for a time when we need it and only buying players after we have sold another isn't good enough and can lead us to being left short which is exactly what happened last summer.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #309: Aug 15, 2013 11:49:22 pm

OOoooppppppsss! Sorry everyone, i thought this was the Kyriakos Papadopoulos topic.

My bad. Sorry.

Anyway, this isn't happening. Would love to add a bit of steel to the team but it seems we're not buying at the moment.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #310: Aug 19, 2013 01:52:17 am
      With Toure's performance on Saturday i really don't see a need for another CB as long as Skrtel is given a chance a shows some of his old form
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #311: Aug 19, 2013 09:25:50 am
      With Toure's performance on Saturday i really don't see a need for another CB as long as Skrtel is given a chance a shows some of his old form

Not sure Toure or Agger will be handle the big lads like Lukaku, Kenwyn Jones. Lambert and not that I can think of many as at work but you get the gist. The big Gorillas we've always struggled against. Getting Papadopolous in might change that.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #312: Aug 19, 2013 09:43:16 am
      Not sure Toure or Agger will be handle the big lads like Lukaku, Kenwyn Jones. Lambert and not that I can think of many as at work but you get the gist. The big Gorillas we've always struggled against. Getting Papadopolous in might change that.
      I say if Toure can't, nobody can. All we need is somebody quicker and better on the ball than Skrtel.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #313: Aug 19, 2013 05:30:04 pm

I hear where you're coming from mate but although i agree about Agger i just don't see Toure getting bullied myself. He's always been a tough b***ard and i've seen him enough over the years to know that.

Jones played F**k with Agger on Saturday and he is too easily bullied. I'm hoping as the Season goes on that they build an understanding together and Toure learns that he needs to cover for Agger in those situations. I love Agger though but it is his weak point.

As for Papadopoulos, i really hope we get him in but i just can't see it. NESV just don't seem to be showing any intent at all this Window. As it stands we've spent F**k all, not good enough if they want to return Liverpool Football Club to their rightful place.

I'm not basing the previous comment on our pursuit of Papadopoulos, it's based on our transfer activity as a whole.

YNWAScouser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #314: Aug 20, 2013 04:10:08 pm
      With Willian out, I would definitely like to see this one happen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #315: Aug 20, 2013 11:14:32 pm
      With Willian out, I would definitely like to see this one happen.
      what would either have to do with the other? Completely different players.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #316: Aug 20, 2013 11:16:11 pm
      what would either have to do with the other? Completely different players.

You think lad?

Probably considering if we shelled out the needed money on Willian we wouldn't have money for this fella.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #317: Aug 21, 2013 01:54:36 am
      I hear where you're coming from mate but although i agree about Agger i just don't see Toure getting bullied myself. He's always been a tough b***ard and i've seen him enough over the years to know that.

I'm hoping mate, Kolo has looked good and hungry so far, let's hope he keeps it up beacuse I can't see FSG spending any money this window.
      wghennessy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #318: Aug 21, 2013 08:33:43 am
      Toure, Agger, Skrtel and Wisdom is more then enough surely or is this a case of signing him now for a reasonable fee before his stock significantly rises ?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #319: Aug 22, 2013 09:35:49 am
      Thank the heavens we didn't sign that WIllian, all I saw was a bunch of stepovers like a deranged Ronaldo one trick pony merchant, I was worried we'd actually sign him.
      The real hidden diamonds is the joy of life, it's like when you hear for months about the hype with a film and you're like yeah cannot wait to see this!! It turns out to be the most flaccid pile of buffalo dung ever made. Big budget flop.
      We should only be after dedicated 100 % players with actual good stats too, unlike Willi wonky.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #320: Aug 22, 2013 04:25:34 pm
      Doesn't look good for the lad. Last thing we need is an injury prone centre back.

@Schalke_UK
      MT @BILD_Schalke04: First training session with the ball - but Papa's knee requires treatment straight away ...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #321: Aug 22, 2013 04:34:46 pm
      Doesn't look good for the lad. Last thing we need is an injury prone centre back.

@Schalke_UK
      MT @BILD_Schalke04: First training session with the ball - but Papa's knee requires treatment straight away ...

Might be nothing just precautionary. If he has re-aggravated the knee he won't pass a medical anyway.

Quick Reply