Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

The intellectual, hypothetical situation, discussion thread

Read 2693 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      The intellectual, hypothetical situation, discussion thread
      May 31, 2013 09:16:15 pm
      Try saying that when you're drunk :)

Now that the season has ended and news is slow, I thought I may as well start a topic to make to people think and keep the brains ticking over.
      Basically a thread to discuss "what if's"? Feel free to add your own.

What if overseas players were no longer allowed?, only English players could play in English leagues, German's in German leagues... ECT
      Which Countries leagues (if any) would benefit from this situation?, would it help or hinder the development of the international teams?, would it have an impact on wages? Would overseas owners be less likely to buy a club then? What other affects would it have?
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: The intellectual, hypothetical situation, discussion thread
      Reply #1: May 31, 2013 10:36:51 pm
      We'd have to get used to watching 38 Stoke City's trying to win the league ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #2: May 31, 2013 10:55:28 pm
      Its hard to say which countries would benefit but surely England would be the one who has the most to lose should this situation ever come about.

Off the top of my head the Spanish, German, Italian and French leagues would all have much more players from within their own countries playing in their leagues and would be at an advantage initially.

Bier
      Reply #3: May 31, 2013 10:57:52 pm
      Good academies and overall youth development would make the difference. Germany and Spain would have very strong teams still I think. But also a club like Ajax. Big clubs from smaller leagues would be a force again, like in the old days.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: May 31, 2013 11:09:58 pm
      I was thinking smaller Countries like Ireland would see the standard of their leagues improve, but ultimately the International team would suffer as players wont get the chance to improve by playing at a higher standard.
      There would be a huge decline in the standard of the PL, but it wouldn't have much affect on the English national team (they'd still be sh*t ;D)
      The Dutch league would benefit greatly too, as most of their best players are playing overseas.

I think it is likely that the different FA's would introduce a wage cap to level the playing fields a bit.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #5: Jun 01, 2013 04:58:57 pm
      what if.. the Champions League was for the Champions again, and the Europa League took on what the CL gives us? Then we'd really have two premium competitions.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #6: Jun 01, 2013 05:19:09 pm
      what if.. the Champions League was for the Champions again, and the Europa League took on what the CL gives us? Then we'd really have two premium competitions.
      Interesting. If the champions of last seasons teams were to be in the Champions League the eventual winners Bayern wouldn't have even been competing. The teams that would have include: Montpellier, Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax, Porto, Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit St. Petersburg, Nordsjælland, Anderlecht, Celtic, Cluj and Basel.

The two competitions would be highly competitive and would give lesser teams an opportunity to go all the way.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Jun 01, 2013 05:41:55 pm
      That would certainly benefit the small countries who's teams always go out in the qualifying rounds, I remember seeing a programme about a team from the League of Ireland playing AC milan in a ground in Dublin which held less than 6,000, AC thought it was their plactice field!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2013 05:18:41 pm
      Bollocks to internationals, but we might win the European Cup again!

Rome 77

Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2013 07:38:22 pm
      What if overseas players were no longer allowed?, only English players could play in English leagues, German's in German leagues... ECT

I personally would love to see that happen, to truly see who is the best team in each individual country and then see who is the best around Europe. If that happened you could also make a case that only people born in or around Liverpool could only play for Liverpool, tranmere or that other clown club, and the same for Manchester, London ect, would make it a whole lot better imo, Then we might actually see a team of Carragers, Gerrards, fowlers ect. I'd like to think if it happened we would win the league every year :D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2013 10:15:15 pm
      I personally would love to see that happen, to truly see who is the best team in each individual country and then see who is the best around Europe. If that happened you could also make a case that only people born in or around Liverpool could only play for Liverpool, tranmere or that other clown club, and the same for Manchester, London ect, would make it a whole lot better imo, Then we might actually see a team of Carragers, Gerrards, fowlers ect. I'd like to think if it happened we would win the league every year :D
      Id like seeing a few more teams following Bilbao's example.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Jun 06, 2013 08:01:07 pm
      What if Fergie came out of retirement to manage Liverpool? :o
      I don't think he could ever win me over, even if he won us the league!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #12: Jun 07, 2013 12:08:39 pm

You a troll? I guess there will be so many pictures posted in response to what you said.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2013 09:10:53 pm
      You a troll? I guess there will be so many pictures posted in response to what you said.
      Why don't you have another go a reading the title again! Maybe break the words into smaller syllables to help you out.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #14: Jun 07, 2013 09:36:44 pm

Hypothetically I rather cut my cock off

In reality I'd just be a grumpy c**t

Quick Reply