Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Matheus Biteco (Gremio)

Read 4420 times
      garlo
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 518 posts |
      Matheus Biteco (Gremio)
      Jun 20, 2013 04:57:29 am
      * LIVERPOOL have begun negotiations with Gremio with a view to signing starlet Matheus Biteco at the end of this month, writes Ed Malyon.

The 17-year-old midfielder was part of the Brazil team that won this year’s prestigious Toulon tournament, and did enough to convince the Reds to finally make their move after following his progress for the last 12 months.

Brazilian rules prevent players being sold to overseas clubs until they are 18, but with Biteco’s birthday falling on June 28 there are no longer any red tape issues that would prevent his transfer.

The youngster - full name is Matheus Betancourt da Silva - has not yet played in a national championship game for Gremio, but impressed in Brazil’s state championships in February and March.

Liverpool have previous with Gremio, having bought Lucas Leiva from the Porto Alegre outfit in 2007.

Link - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-luis-suarez-wanted-1967286

I personally have never heard of him, as i'm sure neither have many of you guys?
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Re: Matheus Biteco (Gremio)
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2013 05:25:39 am
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2013 07:07:13 am

Looks like this rumour has some teeth.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2013 05:03:37 pm

I personally have never heard of him, as i'm sure neither have many of you guys?

No doubt there will be someone on in the next couple of hours who watched the Toulon tournament and has been monitoring him for the last few years. They will also tell us about the time they were on holiday in Gremio five years ago and saw him score 29 bicycle kicks in the local community field with jumpers for goal posts.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2013 05:15:51 pm
      No doubt there will be someone on in the next couple of hours who watched the Toulon tournament and has been monitoring him for the last few years. They will also tell us about the time they were on holiday in Gremio five years ago and saw him score 29 bicycle kicks in the local community field with jumpers for goal posts.
      Sorry, but it was 30 bicycle kicks.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2013 05:39:54 pm
      Looks like this rumour has some teeth.

Ahhhh I see what you did there!

Well, actually, I'm sure anyone with an interest in Brazilian league/football might be aware of him.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Jun 25, 2013 12:26:27 am
      A great little piece on Biteco here...

http://www.anfieldforever.co.uk/24062013.html

Last season proved to be a steep learning curve for Brendan Rodgers in his first season in the manager's hot seat at Anfield. In an attempt to stamp his own authority on the team, Rodgers rang the changes in team personnel as he bought in his own players but also dispensed with others who did not fit his ethos.

So perhaps one of Brendan Rodgers' most culpable decisions of last season was to send out defensive midfielder, Jay Spearing, on a season's loan at Bolton Wanderers without ever having anyone to act as cover for the returning Lucas Leiva - who had spent the past eight months recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament injury. So when Lucas Leiva picked up a thigh strain 5 minutes into the second match of the Premier League season, Rodgers' was forced his hand and had to play Joe Allen in the defensive midfielder role where he looked uneasy and struggled to play the position.

It is no surprise, then, that perhaps one of the areas the manager needs to look at strengthening this summer transfer window is that of the defensive midfield position. Jay Spearing has indeed returned from his highly successful loan spell and may play a part next season as cover for Lucas Leiva. However, this could be Spearing's last chance to impress and it seems Liverpool are already looking at an alternative and long term solution for the role.

One of the players who has been mentioned sporadically this summer amongst some of the more prominent names is that of a highly promising midfielder who goes by the name of Matheus Biteco. Matheus Bitencourt da Silva (to give him his full name) is affectionately known as Matheus at Brazilian club, Gremio, to distinguish him from his brother, Guilherme Biteco, who plays alongside him at the Porto Alegre club.

Although Matheus is only 17-years-old and Guilherme, 19, both have already made a mark in the Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A in their tender years and are seen as Gremio's prized assets in a somewhat ageing team containing the likes of European veterans, Dida, Andre Santos, Cris, Elano and former Liverpool left-back, Fabio Aurelio. A deal is already in place for Guilherme who will be heading off to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in Germany on a season's loan in August and his younger brother will look to follow suit as he has been heavily linked to a move to Liverpool by respectable Porto Alegre journalist, Luiz Zini Pires. Matheus featured for Brazil's Under-20s in this season's annual Toulon tournament in France where Brazil went on to lift the trophy. Matheus played a prominent part for the young Selecao as a defensive midfielder playing four matches and was watched by a number of European scouts including Liverpool's South American representative, Diego Caniggia.

Matheus, who came through the various youth teams at home town club, Gremio, was given his chance in the first team at the end of last season by former Brazilian national coach, Vanderlei Luxemburgo. The disciplinarian, Luxemburgo, is known throughout Brazil as a coach who rarely takes chances and picks elder statesmen and is rarely one who hands chances to youngsters. So when Matheus was promoted to the first team, aged just 17, it was seen as a huge sit-up moment in Porto Alegre and when he was handed his first appearances last season, it was testament to how highly rated Matheus is seen by his coach.

So what are Matheus' strengths and weaknesses?

Although he stands only 5ft 8in and looks lightweight at first glance, Matheus is immensely strong on the pitch. He has a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners attitude and is not afraid to get stuck right in. Although he will eventually end up as a defensive midfielder in the long run, Luxemburgo has primarily deployed him as a box-to-box midfielder - teaming him up with Fernando, who is Gremio's defensive midfielder. In this role, Matheus is allowed the freedom to defend and attack and due to his athleticisim and stamina, he is able to play the position extremely well. Although not blessed with immense pace, he is able to cover ground quickly as he seems to glide seemlessly from one end of the pitch to the other. His first touch and technique on the ball is equisite for a youngster and he plays a good short passing, crisp game but also has the ability and confidence to run with the ball when the chance arrives.

At international level, he is deployed as the defensive midfielder and this is where he played for Gremio at various youth levels. He has a great understanding of the position but he perhaps needs to learn when to move forward and when to sit as he can sometimes leave the position vacant when he forays forward. He can also be caught in possession as he lacks awareness of where he is on the pitch and does dwell on the ball. This will improve with experience but this is the reason why Luxemburgo prefers to give him the protection of Fernando who sits and covers for him at club level.

A big figure in Matheus' short footballing life was former Arsenal midfielder, Gilberto Silva, who played for Gremio for two years in 2011. Matheus looked up to the former Brazilian international and seemingly basis his game on Silva's. This has led to many Porto Alegre journalists to label Matheus - 'Baby Silva'. The similarities are certainly there but he will need to go a long way before he reaches the level that Gilberto Silva reached in his footballing career.

So what of Liverpool's interest in Matheus?

It seems Liverpool's interest has mainly come from the club itself and the local journalists. However, it recently transpired that Liverpool had been monitoring the youngster since October 2012 as Lucas Leiva (who started out at the Porto Alegre club) assisted Liverpool's Head South American scout, Fernando Troiani, whilst recovering from his thigh strain picked up in the match against Manchester City earlier in the season. He was further scouted during the Toulon tournament earlier this month and it now seems Liverpool may well make a move for Matheus this summer transfer window, after further impressing Diego Caniggia.

In Brazil, young players are unable to move to a club outside their own country until they turn 18. Matheus turns such an age on 28 June 2013 when it seems Liverpool will look to make a move for Matheus for a reported £2m. Although he will not be a starter and perhaps will spend next season with the Under-21 squad, Matheus could quite easily step up to the plate the following season if Jay Spearing is seen surplus to requirements. However, he may very well deputise for Lucas Leiva next season - after all, he made his professional debut aged just 17 and has already made six appearances for Gremio's senior side in an uncompromising championship.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: Jun 29, 2013 09:41:54 am
      Looks like this one has got some legs:

Reds eyeing move for Gremio midfielder Matheus Biteco

29 Jun 2013 07:24       

18-year-old is valued by the Brazilian club at around £5m

Liverpool FC are weighing up a move for highly-rated Gremio midfielder Matheus Biteco.

The 18-year-old is valued by the Brazilian club at around £5m, and caught the eye of Reds scouts at the recent Toulon U20 tournament.

Biteco is viewed as one for the future, rather than a player who could slot straight in at first-team level.

Liverpool expect to confirm the signing of Barcelona's 16-year-old Sergi Canos next week.

The midfielder will join the club's Academy. A deal to sign Valencia teenager Pedro Chirivella is also likely.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-eyeing-move-gremio-4749273#.Uc6WW2HggEg.twitter
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #8: Jun 29, 2013 05:16:42 pm
      Lots of links with academy players. Something I like to see. Looks like in the future we will rely on our academy to fill roles more than the transfer market.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #9: Jun 29, 2013 06:00:08 pm
      Going South america. i love the feel of that. Real gems to be gotten there. Though the market is getting more expensive. i believe there are cheaper players in Europe.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2013 07:31:45 pm

Well, actually, I'm sure anyone with an interest in Brazilian league/football might be aware of him.

I'm sure you are right Mosq, it was a general remark about the amount of posters who always seem to come out and say they've watched 20-30 matches from every League in the world during one Season.

People know what i'm talking about, we get them every Season.

Personally, i only have interest in one team and one League because that is all that matters to me. If i have spare time it is always taken up by my family or my hobbies.

Maybe i need to give up work and just watch football 24/7?.

That was a joke by the way sir. I can think of much better ways to spend my free time than watching Brazilian League football. It has no bearing on my life whatsoever and never will.

Liverpool Football Club is all i need, is all i will ever need.

Apologies if the previous post came across as arrogant as that was certainly not my intention.

The Summer Transfer Board is always a good source of amusement for myself as i read the posts of how people have been watching the said player for years now and always saw their talent. The funny thing is they never said F**k all about the player until it emerges they are a possible transfer target.

Anyway sir, back on topic.

Biteco?. Never heard of him but if the manager wants him then let's get him in.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #11: Jun 30, 2013 11:15:12 pm
      People know what i'm talking about, we get them every Season.

Indeed we do.

I haven't been able to comment much on how good, or otherwise, I think our new signings could be as I haven't seen them play apart from Toure and Mignolet.

Like you I'm happy if the manager gets to buy the players hr feels is good enough to progress the squad
      Brazilian Red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 13, 2013 03:10:34 pm
      Technically limited player. Top talent on the rise in Brazil today, called Bernard, 21,  Atletico Mineiro.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #13: Jul 14, 2013 02:35:09 pm
      Technically limited player. Top talent on the rise in Brazil today, called Bernard, 21,  Atletico Mineiro.
      Are you his agent or something?

Quick Reply