Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 314924 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1403: Dec 01, 2015 12:13:33 pm
      JĆ¼rgen just said in his presser that Mignolet's staying - "He's one of the smartest goalies I've worked with; he's young and still has time to develop."

Yep, would be silly to get rid of a backup keeper of Migs quality imo.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #1404: Dec 01, 2015 12:29:39 pm
      Yep, would be silly to get rid of a backup keeper of Migs quality imo.

I agree but give it til the end of the season and I think we might be looking for a new no.1, unless that Bodger (sp?) is any good.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #1405: Dec 01, 2015 02:13:13 pm
      If you have to believe the Belgian media, he is having a great season and is unrightly criticised...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1406: Dec 01, 2015 03:04:32 pm
      JĆ¼rgen just said in his presser that Mignolet's staying - "He's one of the smartest goalies I've worked with; he's young and still has time to develop."

He is meant to be a really clever guy away from the pitch.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1407: Dec 01, 2015 04:25:30 pm
      Well I am glad in one way because we don't want him feeling unloved before January do we. If JĆ¼rgen can help him learn to kick a ball then good luck.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1408: Dec 01, 2015 04:27:39 pm
      He is meant to be a really clever guy away from the pitch.

doesn't explain his brain freeze the other day. If I had to pick a goalkeeper right now who would come here I cant honestly think of one who would be so much better and that includes Bogdan. Now if Neuer wants to come that's different but to upgrade from Simon you have to go to another level and there are not many if any available
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1409: Dec 01, 2015 05:07:02 pm
      Let's get Stephen Hawking in goal if being a smart guy has anything to do with it.

End of the day he's just not good enough. We can debate all day about the intrecate details but big picture is he's third or fourth tier when it comes to ranking keepers in terms of overall ability. He is barely premier league standard.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1410: Dec 01, 2015 06:20:13 pm
      Let's get Stephen Hawking in goal if being a smart guy has anything to do with it.

Too obvious
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1411: Dec 01, 2015 10:36:47 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1412: Dec 01, 2015 10:42:13 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1413: Dec 01, 2015 10:44:26 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1414: Dec 01, 2015 10:46:13 pm
      Part of me loves this just for the outrage it will cause on here hahah

I truly hope it has a clause where he will 'progress' to back-up keeper,

JĆ¼rgen... NEIN!

:lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #1415: Dec 02, 2015 12:09:39 am
      Part of me loves this just for the outrage it will cause on here hahah

Was thinking the same. :D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1416: Dec 02, 2015 12:14:52 am
      at this point its probably better the devil you know, Unless we can get some who is guaranteed to be better JĆ¼rgen is just ensuring he has a lot of happy campers and there in nothing wrong with that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1418: Dec 02, 2015 09:02:39 am
      I think the press have got it wrong about Mignolet being offered a new contract. It should of read that the club want to get someone to take a contract out on Mignolet :f_tongueincheek:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1419: Dec 02, 2015 09:59:13 am
      I really do still rate him. I think he will progress in the next few years at a high rate into one of the best.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1420: Dec 02, 2015 10:29:17 am
      Now that's surprising :o

Liverpool open talks with Simon Mignolet over new contract
      ā€¢ JĆ¼rgen Klopp insists goalkeeperā€™s place is not in question despite rumours
      ā€¢ Manager has cleared air with Daniel Sturridge following injury comments

Liverpool have opened discussions with Simon Mignolet over a new contract in further evidence of JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s confidence in the goalkeeper.

Klopp said he was not looking to sign a No1 despite reports that claimed otherwise. Mignolet, who signed for Liverpool from Sunderland in June 2013 for Ā£9m on a five-year deal, would see his Ā£60,000 a-week salary increased if he agrees a new contract.

Klopp claimed before Wednesdayā€™s League Cup quarter-final at Southampton that Liverpool are not in the market for a goalkeeper after being linked with Stoke Cityā€™s Jack Butland and the Belgium Under-21 Guillaume Hubert.

ā€œIt is a good moment to talk about the goalkeepers at Liverpool,ā€ Klopp said. ā€œI am absolutely satisfied with our goalkeeping situation. I am sorry to kill your stories about goalkeepers. We are not looking for another goalkeeper. We have enough high-quality goalkeepers, Iā€™ve had a lot of goalkeepers over the last few years and Simon Mignolet is one of the smartest I have ever had.

ā€œHe is completely open and heā€™s young enough to develop, to improve. Heā€™s not had the easiest situation before I came here, but since I have been here there has been nothing to criticise, absolutely nothing.ā€

The Liverpoolā€™s No2 Adam Bogdan, who played in the previous round at home to Bournemouth, may get a start at Southampton.

Klopp also moved to clarify his comments that Daniel Sturridge needed to understand the difference between ā€œserious pain and what is only painā€.

Kloppā€™s words suggested he believed Sturridge may not be pushing himself to play when suffering from a minor injury but Klopp said: ā€œMaybe it was my fault because of the language. I thought I said: ā€˜We all had to learn.ā€™ That is it. That is what we have to do. With his injury history it is not easy. If you have 20 injuries you cannot treat it like the first. All of us are going to be influenced by the experience we have. If you have more injuries then you have more doubt.

Advertisement

ā€œThe situation about Daniel it is not his quality, it is his history. We try to do it together, no one is alone at Melwood [training base] ā€“ we all do it together.ā€

When asked what Sturridge had said to Klopp following those comments the manager said: ā€œI canā€™t tell you anything about when I speak to the players and what they tell me. There will be nothing ever. There is nothing to say about this, Iā€™m really sorry.ā€

Sturridge, who had been suffering from a knee injury, and the captain, Jordan Henderson, who broke a foot in mid-September, had no adverse reactions after second-half substitute appearances in Sundayā€™s 1-0 win over Swansea City.

Both will travel to Southampton. ā€œHenderson and Sturridge will be in the squad,ā€ said Klopp. ā€œWe have these two options. We canā€™t ignore that there could be extra-time. 120 minutes would be too much [for Henderson and Sturridge].ā€

Philippe Coutinho may also be available following a hamstring injury. ā€œHe could be close, but we need to check and double check the situation,ā€ Klopp said.

Since taking over Liverpool have been defeated only once in 10 games under Klopp yet the German showed his perfectionism when considering whether this constituted a good start. ā€œSometimes I would like to change my personality but I canā€™t forget this F***ing loss against Crystal Palace, if we won this then I would say OK,ā€ he said of the 2-1 defeat at Anfield last month.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/01/simon-mignolet-liverpool-contract-JĆ¼rgen-klopp-daniel-sturridge?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1421: Dec 02, 2015 10:31:35 am
      I truly hope it has a clause where he will 'progress' to back-up keeper,

JĆ¼rgen... NEIN!

:lmao:

You should really get some signs sorted out for a protest outside Anfield/Melwood:

Mignolet OUT
      Bogdan IN!
      All Hail Bogdan! :lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1422: Dec 02, 2015 01:17:19 pm
      "Surprising" because JĆ¼rgen rates him higher than most fans?  :confused-smiley-013:

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1423: Dec 02, 2015 01:19:43 pm
      Most clean sheets in 2015 in the league apparently
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1424: Dec 02, 2015 01:25:10 pm
      "Surprising" because JĆ¼rgen rates him higher than most fans?  :confused-smiley-013:

Surprising because I would have thought JĆ¼rgen wasn't very pleased with Mignolet's performances since he arrived at the club. Personally I don't think they were great performances, though I'm surely not as critical of him as some.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #1425: Dec 02, 2015 01:27:25 pm

There are a few know alls on Twitter who will explode if we give Migs a new contract.

I hope we do if only to see the reaction.

Quick Reply