Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 309156 times
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2116: Jun 03, 2016 10:38:10 am
      Mignolet has been all talk and no trousers all season, I am not going to bother reading it.

I find 'All fart and no sh*te' a better phrase.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2117: Jun 03, 2016 10:59:18 am
      Simon Mignolet reveals the secrets of his Liverpool team-mates. :)

https://youtu.be/hAbQC7oissw

F***ing hell he's boring isn't he?
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #2118: Jun 03, 2016 11:02:44 am

:lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2119: Jun 03, 2016 12:53:00 pm

Oh he's shown plenty of sh*te mate.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2120: Aug 02, 2016 03:21:27 pm
      Time and again I find this mans technique utterly bizarre.
      Fair enough decent point blank save from Dzeko for the second goal. He then falls backwards on himself as Salah taps the rebound in. ??? Bizarre, not good enough to be 2nd pick
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2121: Aug 02, 2016 03:51:38 pm
      Reckon a one handed Karius would be preferably to Mignolet starting the season...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2122: Aug 02, 2016 03:59:25 pm
      he seems to be one of the few players that most agree on he is a nightmare of a goalkeeper
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #2123: Aug 02, 2016 06:26:26 pm
      he seems to be one of the few players that most agree on he is a nightmare of a goalkeeper

I'd go as far and say he is piss poor on occasions , the one thing you do need in any tile challenge is a strong and confident no1 he is never going to be that the next howler is just around the corner .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2124: Aug 02, 2016 06:54:57 pm
      the best team of the last 50 years had outstanding goal keepers. Clemence , Jennings, Seaman, Schmichel, Van De Sar etc even southall at Everton was a major factor in their success. We need this calibre of goalkeeper not Mignolet
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2125: Aug 02, 2016 07:25:06 pm
      Reckon a one handed Karius would be preferably to Mignolet starting the season...

Didn't Karius play the rest of the Chelsea game with the injury? If so then you would in fact be correct. Migs must be hoping Karius is out for longer.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2126: Aug 02, 2016 07:29:14 pm
      Didn't Karius play the rest of the Chelsea game with the injury? If so then you would in fact be correct. Migs must be hoping Karius is out for longer.

Little doubt that Karius is our #1 keeper...so now we need to compare Migs to other #2 keepers...as others have said...might even be better to start the new keeper against Arsenal.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2127: Aug 03, 2016 08:58:45 am
      Just watching the highlights of the Roma game on Sky now. If Karius had been in goal I'm not sure anyone would be making too much of it tbh and suspect we'd be asking about the defending that allowed the 6'3 Dzeko to have a free header just inside the penalty spot. Mignonette is a lousy error prone keeper but I can't blame him for the 2nd Roma goal because it wasn't his fault.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2128: Aug 03, 2016 09:13:10 am
      Mignonette is a lousy error prone keeper but I can't blame him for the 2nd Roma goal because it wasn't his fault.

The ball pops up in the air and Mignolet's natural reaction is to stay back onto his line, away from the ball, like he has forgotten he is one of only two players on the pitch who is actually allowed to handle the ball.

It's a genuinely sh*t bit of goalkeeping. But it sums up exactly why he is so far from what a modern goalie at a big club should be.

His natural reaction was to stay back and away from the ball. All he had to do was step forward and into the space and pluck the ball out the sky but instead he did his default of the 'safety' of his line. Maybe that flies at Sunderland or Villa, but it's been three years and I feel comfortable saying that is his level at this stage.

Yes it wasn't great to allow a header but anyone pretend it wasn't an utterly sh*te bit of goalkeeping after is wrong. The guy not stopping the cross as Coutinho and it's not Kevin Stewart's fault he isn't 3 inches taller and I don't think Wisdom is unreasonable in shielding the ball for Mignolet. It's absolutely incredible to say Mignolet isn't hugely at fault for the goal.

I'm honestly not sure he is even in the top ten goalkeepers in this league.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2016 09:25:47 am by KS67 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2129: Aug 03, 2016 10:05:22 am
      the problem for Mignolet is he needs a full season of faultless performances or the crowd are going to be restless at every free kick and corner and that's not the Crowds fault. When we came second we failed to improve the squad for the next season and sold our biggest asset.
      A season of highs and lows last time but we have still not addressed the problem that Premier League winning teams need a world class rated goalkeeper sorry Simon your not that man
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2130: Aug 03, 2016 01:35:29 pm

On 25 June 2013, Mignolet signed with Liverpool for a fee of £9m on a five-year deal.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers hailed Mignolet as being "one of the top goalkeepers in the Premier League"

Source :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Mignolet
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2131: Aug 03, 2016 01:41:57 pm

I'm honestly not sure he is even in the top ten goalkeepers in this league.

He's not

De Gea
      Cech
      Courtois
      Begovic
      Loris
      Schmeichel
      Hart
      Butland
      Forster
      Fabianski
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2132: Aug 03, 2016 01:59:16 pm
      Really good shot stopper.

The rest of his game is nowhere near the same level.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2133: Aug 03, 2016 02:01:23 pm

Really good? Really? Ok imo
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2134: Aug 03, 2016 02:17:26 pm

Yep, imo he makes some fantastic saves, showing athleticism, reflexes and a good ability to read the flight of the ball.
      He'll make mistakes in this area, same as any keeper, but on shot stopping alone, he's really good (again, just my opinion)

His work on crosses, set pieces, judgement, "sweeping" and distribution are pretty poor.

I've always said he's a number 2 for a team of our calibre, and I stand by that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2135: Aug 03, 2016 03:23:16 pm
      good ability to read the flight of the ball.

Pretty sure he got horrendously lobbed by Alvaro Negredo because he judged it completely wrong.
      A decent shot stopper IMO wouldn't  constantly parry the ball straight back into the danger area.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2136: Aug 03, 2016 03:32:16 pm

And yet, he's not. The lowest ranked of the top fifteen goal keepers in Europe has a shot stopping ratio of 65.58%. Mignolet has a 62.8% ratio. Saving Bread and Butter saves doesn't make you a good shot stopper, which is about all he's capable of. Let's also not forget he's the most error prone keeper in the league since 13/14 with a shot stopping ability that's described as 'middling at best'. In terms of shot stopping he's distinctly average, at everything else he's absolutely appalling and you simply cannot have the league's most error prone Keeper in your squad if you're serious about challenging for silverware. He's the poster boy for a recruitment policy consistently trying to do things on the cheap.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #2137: Aug 03, 2016 03:37:30 pm
      Don't know why we are even discussing poor Migs....it's not like we have an option right now. Might as well accept it and move on.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2138: Aug 03, 2016 03:49:26 pm
      Pretty sure he got horrendously lobbed by Alvaro Negredo because he judged it completely wrong.
      A decent shot stopper IMO wouldn't  constantly parry the ball straight back into the danger area.

To be fair, I didn't explain properly, and meant the moving ball from a shot.
      He has huge trouble tracking crosses, and pretty much anytime the ball is high he struggles.

But, he has made some absolutely outstanding saves.

Quick Reply