Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 309964 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2231: Oct 26, 2016 11:03:14 pm
      I actually feel more confident with Migs in goal than Karius, but I do understand we need to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Same here mate, Given how little he has been tested Karius looks very shaky for me, he looks short, I don't think he looks strong enough, he has looked indecisive and frankly he looks pretty scared whenever he is expected to come for a high ball. The consolation is that De Gea looked all of those things in his first season at the mans and now he is comfortably the best keeper in the league so there is hope for Karius. However, I've still got a lingering fear that he will cost us some. Important points this season. All this sweeper keeper stuff is a bit of a nonsense in my book
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #2232: Oct 26, 2016 11:09:06 pm
      Same here mate, Given how little he has been tested Karius looks very shaky for me, he looks short, I don't think he looks strong enough, he has looked indecisive and frankly he looks pretty scared whenever he is expected to come for a high ball. The consolation is that De Gea looked all of those things in his first season at the mans and now he is comfortably the best keeper in the league so there is hope for Karius. However, I've still got a lingering fear that he will cost us some. Important points this season. All this sweeper keeper stuff is a bit of a nonsense in my book

Are you saying you prefer a keeper glued to his goal line like Mignolet so you can never play a high line?

Pretty sure your not so don't understand your point!
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2233: Oct 27, 2016 06:25:05 am

Are you saying you prefer a keeper glued to his goal line like Mignolet so you can never play a high line?

Pretty sure your not so don't understand your point!

Mate, every keeper comes off of their line when their own team have the ball and have pushed on. Migs was off his line plenty on Tuesday night. What I am not a fan of is sacrificing goal keeping ability for footballing ability. I'm not necessarily referring to Migs here because I'm with the majority who don't believe he is up to it but I look at the lad City have bought in for Joe Hart and wonder what the fook is going on? The lad might be decent in a 5 a side but as a keeper he has looked a liability. I hope karius improves and it is early days yet but my initial impression of Karius is that he looks rather similar to Bravo at City ie. Short, weak, indecisive & scared off crosses.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2234: Oct 28, 2016 05:36:56 pm
      Not Mig's biggest fan but to be fair to him, I thought he's been quite solid this season whenever he featured. He actually came off his line really quickly to collect the ball on two occasions when it was 2-1 on Tuesday night.
      From what I've seen of Karius so far, I would feel more comfortable with Mig in goal. It's Klopp's decision though, and I won't complain if he keeps using Karius as first choice. Perhaps (and hopefully) he'll get better once settling in. 
      For those who compare Karius to De Gea: what's exactly the rationale for that? And please don't tell me it's because they both make reckless mistakes in their first season at their clubs (at least that's what I've been reading in this forum).
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #2235: Oct 28, 2016 05:49:38 pm
      Not Mig's biggest fan but to be fair to him, I thought he's been quite solid this season whenever he featured. He actually came off his line really quickly to collect the ball on two occasions when it was 2-1 on Tuesday night.
      From what I've seen of Karius so far, I would feel more comfortable with Mig in goal. It's Klopp's decision though, and I won't complain if he keeps using Karius as first choice. Perhaps (and hopefully) he'll get better once settling in. 
      For those who compare Karius to De Gea: what's exactly the rationale for that? And please don't tell me it's because they both make reckless mistakes in their first season at their clubs (at least that's what I've been reading in this forum).

My rationale would be a young foreign keeper coming into a league where they have never had to face the sheer number of crosses and physicality. Which results in flapping and needing to command their area more.Plus less time on the ball. It has happened quite a few times, happens to more experienced keepers too.

There are exceptions of course, like when Courtois starting playing for Chelsea, or Reina for Liverpool.

Keepers peak quite late into their careers, compared to striker's and midfielders. So in some ways  there are more risks signing a younger keeper than other positions.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2236: Oct 28, 2016 05:49:57 pm

Did you not watch Simon Mignolet for 3 seasons? The guy is a calamity who has cost us points and trophies, sure Karius looks a little uneasy that's a world of difference from throwing balls into the net the way Simon did he's not even good enough to be number 2
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #2237: Oct 28, 2016 06:09:55 pm
      Did you not watch Simon Mignolet for 3 seasons? The guy is a calamity who has cost us points and trophies, sure Karius looks a little uneasy that's a world of difference from throwing balls into the net the way Simon did he's not even good enough to be number 2

Fully agree mate Migs has been here 3 years and shown no sign of improvement.

So yeah Karius might not have set the world alight but let's judge at the end of the season at least not after a couple of games.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2238: Oct 28, 2016 11:45:17 pm
      Did you not watch Simon Mignolet for 3 seasons?
      The guy is a calamity who has cost us points and trophies, sure Karius looks a little uneasy that's a world of difference from throwing balls into the net the way Simon did he's not even good enough to be number 2

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2239: Oct 29, 2016 06:13:10 am

As I mentioned, I'm not even close to Mig's fan. I was one of his biggest critics last season. I just merely pointed out the fact that at this moment at least, he looks better than Karius. I'm also genuinely curious about why people seem to rate Karius so highly and are willing to stick with him in goal for our important games because I remember quite clearly how fans were very quick to jump on Bogdan's back right after his first few games. Had Karius' straight pass to Pogba resulted in a United goal and a win for them, would people have reacted very differently now?
      For me, players should be selected based on their current forms, but I guess the Mig situation is quite a desperate one that people want to accelerate his replacement as quickly as possible.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2240: Oct 29, 2016 06:21:57 am
      My rationale would be a young foreign keeper coming into a league where they have never had to face the sheer number of crosses and physicality. Which results in flapping and needing to command their area more.Plus less time on the ball. It has happened quite a few times, happens to more experienced keepers too.

There are exceptions of course, like when Courtois starting playing for Chelsea, or Reina for Liverpool.

Keepers peak quite late into their careers, compared to striker's and midfielders. So in some ways  there are more risks signing a younger keeper than other positions.

So that's basically just comparing Karius to every other young foreign keeper coming to the league though? Why do people mention De Gea in particular? Again, not having a dig at anyone because I'm genuinely curious about how this lad was like before he came to Liverpool that made him so highly rated among our fans. All I knew about him was via the youtube videos but those are far from convincing.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2241: Oct 29, 2016 08:00:38 am
      So that's basically just comparing Karius to every other young foreign keeper coming to the league though? Why do people mention De Gea in particular? Again, not having a dig at anyone because I'm genuinely curious about how this lad was like before he came to Liverpool that made him so highly rated among our fans. All I knew about him was via the youtube videos but those are far from convincing.

Did he not have a lot of saves and clean sheets?

I think Leno would have still been my personal choice for a young German goalkeeper however.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #2242: Oct 30, 2016 05:58:04 pm
      Because Mig's outsanding reflexes saved us far more points than he cost us, he can feel unlucky to lose his place to Karius who looks nervous and unconvincing on crosses.

For me, an upgrade to Mig should be obviously stronger in his weak area, i.e. commanding his box and dominating in the air.

Reina was clearly superior to Dudek as an all-round keeper when he displaced him, so the change made sense.

This one doesn't at present.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2243: Oct 30, 2016 06:04:38 pm
      Because Mig's outsanding reflexes saved us far more points than he cost us, he can feel unlucky to lose his place to Karius who looks nervous and unconvincing on crosses.

For me, an upgrade to Mig should be obviously stronger in his weak area, i.e. commanding his box and dominating in the air.

Reina was clearly superior to Dudek as an all-round keeper when he displaced him, so the change made sense.

This one doesn't at present.

Actually the biggest upgrade for the way we play would be a keeper that didn't hold the ball for 21 seconds gave the opponent a free kick which in turn cost us a goal.

It's not about his reflexes its about his thought process and his mental breakdowns and distribution...the cup match against the Spurs was like the first time I have seen him actually try and force himself to distribute quickly.

Perhaps the competition is actually helping him, but for now Karius will be the future with Ward coming back next season as back-up.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #2244: Nov 10, 2016 08:48:39 am
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2245: Nov 10, 2016 09:36:38 am

Reckon he is trying to "out physical" Karius after the rugby pad training and prove a point?

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #2246: Nov 10, 2016 12:49:01 pm
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2247: Nov 10, 2016 11:54:49 pm
      Jesus christ that was far from brutal!
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #2248: Nov 11, 2016 11:49:16 am
      Migs really didn't like conceding that penalty in the League Cup I guess...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #2249: Dec 14, 2016 09:43:02 pm
      As it stands Migs pisses all over Karius.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2250: Dec 14, 2016 09:56:18 pm
      As it stands Migs pisses all over Karius.

A very good game from Migs, he took his chance very well. Admittedly he had bugger all to do in the second hald but in the first he made some good saves, commanded his box well and made some decent kicks.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,506 posts | 1484 
      Reply #2251: Dec 14, 2016 10:00:33 pm
      A very good game from Migs, he took his chance very well. Admittedly he had bugger all to do in the second hald but in the first he made some good saves, commanded his box well and made some decent kicks.
      Exactly right,what he had to do he did very well,made up for lad.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2252: Dec 14, 2016 11:20:02 pm
      Pleased for him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #2253: Dec 14, 2016 11:25:39 pm
      Well done Simon can't have been easy under that pressure.

Quick Reply