Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 309685 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #667: Sep 21, 2014 06:09:21 pm
      I know this is going back a bit but when we signed him did anyone recognise him as particularly exceptional?
      I think he came as an average keeper, he's taken a dip and became a poor keeper.
      Least with Pepe he arrived exceptional, took a dip after 6 years and became average. There's no return for this keeper Valdes will be our no 1 as soon as he signs

just watched City and Chelsea and looked at their goalkeepers and Chelsea even have Cech on the bench. Simon is not as good as Pepe not in the same league.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #668: Sep 21, 2014 08:36:34 pm
      Good young shot stopper. All round game? Not so good.

Not helped by what is now an average team - esp the defensive midfield infront of him.

To think Pepe was given the boot...WTF.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #669: Sep 28, 2014 08:52:50 am
      Good shot stopper but not decisive enough on crosses or on clearing his lines.

That incident with Skrtel was shocking and rightly so he got a right bollocking from his centre back.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #670: Sep 29, 2014 07:02:51 pm
      Just needs a settled back four in front of him and some proper competition for his place.
      He has the ability i believe to be a pretty good keeper...certainly better than he has shown at times over the last 18 months.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #671: Sep 29, 2014 08:14:36 pm
      Ripped apart on MNF tonight.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #672: Sep 29, 2014 08:26:03 pm

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Migs, but I thought it was a bit harsh ;D

He has made some defining saves that won us points, and also, no where at fault for the everton equaliser, nothing he could've done.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #673: Sep 29, 2014 08:35:21 pm
      Confidence breeds success... Simon is low on this - which is worrying the defence and causing them to 'over work / over play' and make mistakes. What he needs to work on is managing crosses and commanding the area, this has cost us a few goals lately and he really needs to sort it out.

Good observation this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #674: Sep 29, 2014 09:54:04 pm

What were they saying?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #675: Sep 29, 2014 09:57:46 pm
      It was something I didn't really see until I saw him live and now I can't help but see it all the time, the failure on several occasions to come for balls that were his to come and collect and, much worse in my opinion, the times when he was being vocal, he was ignored.  Seems to be some sort of issue between the keeper and the back four.
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #676: Sep 29, 2014 10:28:23 pm
      I have faith in the guy, he worries me at times, but I still believe we have a top keeper on our hands.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #677: Sep 29, 2014 10:35:28 pm
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #678: Sep 29, 2014 10:36:09 pm
      Link for Monday night football above
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #679: Sep 29, 2014 11:16:28 pm
      Link for Monday night football above

Cheers Emsy, have to say they make a strong case and I'd agree with every word. The worrying part is this is the area everyone keeps droning on about "he's a great shot stopper", I said last season a few times that I'd expect a great shot stopper to stop more than he does and make big saves at big moments which Simon doesn't seem to do.

Expect him to be replaced/dropped down a peg either by Valdes or in the summer.

I'll say this though, if Gary Neville is picking him out for that technical error so consistently what is our goal keeping coach doing. I've had an issue with coaching for a long time and since Xavi Valero left I haven't been convinced by our goal keeping coaching, or our defensive coaching. At least the issue is out there now, let's see if anything improves.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #680: Sep 30, 2014 06:19:38 am
      Unsure when we signed him and very unsure now.

Cant see him being our number 1 this time next season as he has too many flaws in his game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #681: Sep 30, 2014 08:11:50 am

High;lighted some of his "slouched" positioning which led to shots going high getting past hime by only inches. If his starting position had been standing bigh he'd have saved shots like Man city away last year. They were spot on. Carra also said he has yet to really make a save that becomes a game changer saying for example when Ba was through after Stevies slip go and make a name for yourself and make a save that might win the league.

I have stood firm on Mignolet and do believe he is a good keeper and young enough to improve but theres no arguing with what Neville highlighted last night   
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #682: Sep 30, 2014 09:40:46 am
      I think they are 100% spot on with the analysis of Mignolet! KopiteLuke you make a very good point about the quality of goalkeeping since Xavi Valero left. He wasn't just a great help for goal keepers, he helped our star striker at the time:

"Well Liverpool's goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero doesn't have to imagine – for this is exactly what happened to him this summer when Fernando Torres revealed how information from his countryman about opposition shot-stoppers was a major factor in him breaking the 30-goals barrier last term."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/rafa-s-bootroom-xavi-valero

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #683: Sep 30, 2014 10:00:14 am
      The fact is that he is under pressure because we are not doing well - last season whilst there were the purists on at him he got away with a lot...

Personally I still believe he is not the issue, its the defence. We can discuss that he doesn't come for the ball all day long - but if a defender should be able to clear it then he doesn't need to. My issue is that he is having to face too many shots, headers or scrambles because our CB's are not doing their job. Again, this leads to Simon having to work a lot harder - due to lack of confidence in his defence.

I hate to bring up other players in this, but Gerrard, Lukas and Hendo have been shadows of their performances last season because they are tracking back to cover the defence. This is congesting the area (out half) with players and making Simons life a lot harder...

However, in the last 3 games in the prem can anyone really say he was at fault for any of the goals conceded?

Yes, he has to work on his crosses and his command of the area - but our defence needs to cut out the number of chances we are gifting our keeper.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #684: Sep 30, 2014 12:43:15 pm
      According to the Express we are poised to move for Barca 'keeper Valdes who is a free agent, to replace Mignolet as no 1 choice.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/516833/Mignolet-Liverpool-Career-Valdes

Mignolet meanwhile insists he has no worries about his place in the team.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/liverpool/article4221626.ece

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #685: Sep 30, 2014 01:12:01 pm
      Sometimes I fear for a shocking mistake when a cross or corner against us
       I Have FULL faith in Mignolet  on the goal line, but I think he lacks confidence with crosses and making the box his own, often brings his defenders in difficulty
       as someone said above seeing the chavs goalkeeper how he uses all the box and makes it his own. to be honest don't see it in Simon, Guess  thats one of the reason Cortiuos is in front of him internationally
        Not saying he is sh*te or something , But saying rodgers should adresws this with some pro, training sessions on the issue

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #686: Sep 30, 2014 01:17:27 pm
      Off topic slightly, but isnt it about time this club start producing some good goalkeepers. We have not done it once. Every keeper we have had since Clemence has had some fault to there game. And another thing if Gary Neville can find a flaw in Mignolets game which has led to goals how the fook has our goalkeeping coach not done so when thats his job?

So thats hire a proper good goalkeeping coach nad start producing top young keepers through the clubs ranks. Thanks
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #687: Sep 30, 2014 01:30:50 pm
      Sometimes I fear for a shocking mistake when a cross or corner against us
       I Have FULL faith in Mignolet  on the goal line, but I think he lacks confidence with crosses and making the box his own, often brings his defenders in difficulty
       as someone said above seeing the chavs goalkeeper how he uses all the box and makes it his own. to be honest don't see it in Simon, Guess  thats one of the reason Cortiuos is in front of him internationally
        Not saying he is sh*te or something , But saying rodgers should adresws this with some pro, training sessions on the issue

YNWA

Some 'keepers will venture further when the opportunity demands, a master of the tactic was Pepe Reina although occasionally it did go tits up even for him - irrespective of the fact the defenders in his day were established, experience performers. The same defenders did on occasion misjudge and leave Pepe exposed - sh*t happens.

The last line for Mignolet is neither established or experienced, is it any wonder he is a tad nervous when his confidence (to say nothing of ours) in the back four is shot?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #688: Sep 30, 2014 01:37:40 pm
      Off topic slightly, but isnt it about time this club start producing some good goalkeepers. We have not done it once. Every keeper we have had since Clemence has had some fault to there game. And another thing if Gary Neville can find a flaw in Mignolets game which has led to goals how the fook has our goalkeeping coach not done so when thats his job?

So thats hire a proper good goalkeeping coach nad start producing top young keepers through the clubs ranks. Thanks

Established quality cost what it does Brian, hence the lack of in the striking dept, midfield and defence.
      We are now apparently running the rule over a 32 year old 'keeper on a free transfer to replace Mignolet.  ??? :roll:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #689: Sep 30, 2014 02:07:57 pm

The problem with Migs is he rarely gets off the bloody thing.

Quick Reply