Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 307619 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2553: Aug 14, 2017 12:13:38 am
      Could have done better for the 1st and 3rd goal.

A big lad like him should never allow someone to get in within 3 meters of his line to attack the ball. He should be taking out his own and opposing players in the way.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2554: Aug 14, 2017 12:25:40 am
      Good to see you back on here!

Likes you say, he makes the odd big save here and there and he might well save us points in a game. But I would confidently put money on him costing us more points over a season than what he saves us.

Cheers la, looking to be back a bit more throughout the season.

Agree with you. It's my biggest fear when I see his name on the team sheet. He got better when his position was under threat but, he's gone back to same old Simon.

Another point to add, I find Lovren and Mignolet never play well together. The harmony within the defence is always disrupted as both men are looking for someone to take the lead, but they're both far too indecisive and this leads to problems at the back. Especially when we try to play out from there.

I notice when a Karius, or Ward comes in to the team, they don't want to F**k about. There's a head, there's a shout. Someone takes control.

His decisions really do affect our overall play. Don't even get me started on his goal-kicks!
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 387 
      Reply #2555: Aug 14, 2017 01:26:14 am
      dont think hes as bad as some. but im just fed up with watching him. another season watching him is going to drive me mad. ditto Lovren.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2556: Aug 14, 2017 10:05:45 am
      dont think hes as bad as some. but im just fed up with watching him. another season watching him is going to drive me mad. ditto Lovren.

Yes I'm afraid some players despite having ability can't perform week in and week out at a top club. Both of the players you've mentioned seemingly have too many mistakes in them, Lovren in particular from my point of view is a big disappointment. As always at top level sport, it's the bit between the ears which sorts out the wheat from the chaff.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2557: Aug 14, 2017 07:26:00 pm
      Karius has shown us nothing but bad things

No he hasn't. It's thanks to him we weren't completely humiliated and stuffed by 4,5,6 goals by Saints in the League Cup last season. Just as he was showing some promising signs of finally settling, he wasn't seen again yet Migs some how virtually gets a free pass to play despite being utter sh*te for years.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2558: Aug 14, 2017 07:34:34 pm
      No he hasn't. It's thanks to him we weren't completely humiliated and stuffed by 4,5,6 goals by Saints in the League Cup last season. Just as he was showing some promising signs of finally settling, he wasn't seen again yet Migs some how virtually gets a free pass to play despite being utter sh*te for years.

Spot on 7KK7, I honestly think the mistakes he made are massively over-exaggerated, there was lots of moments to find encouragement. I thought his shot saving was an improvement, his distribution was an enormous improvement, speed out of his box was an enormous improvement.

The one place he really struggled was in catching/commanding his box, but after watching Migs against Watford is he so much worse in this department.

Even still we have Ward who was apparently fantastic in the championship, one of them simply has to be better than Migs but I don't think he'll be changed just yet. I think Jürgen will give Migs a few games to rectify himself because swapping on one bad performance as a keeper probably isn't right but should he put in another within a few games I think he'll be out of the first XI.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2559: Aug 14, 2017 07:38:11 pm
      I think Jürgen will give Migs a few games to rectify himself because swapping on one bad performance as a keeper probably isn't right but should he put in another within a few games I think he'll be out of the first XI.
      Depends on how much Klopp wants to do well in Europe. Personally I think Klopp doesn't want to be proven wrong on Mignolet. He got criticism with the 5 year contract and then came out and backed Mignolet. I am hoping Klopp's pride won't cloud his sense here.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2560: Aug 14, 2017 07:42:55 pm
      Depends on how much Klopp wants to do well in Europe. Personally I think Klopp doesn't want to be proven wrong on Mignolet. He got criticism with the 5 year contract and then came out and backed Mignolet. I am hoping Klopp's pride won't cloud his sense here.

I'd say Jürgen would face more criticism for buying a player that hasn't proven better than the one he was bought to replace. If anything I find it odd how much time Migs has been given.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2561: Aug 15, 2017 07:27:19 pm
      I mean, do I just post 'F**k you Simon' in here now to save time after the match?
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2562: Aug 15, 2017 11:28:32 pm
      Commentators said that he has saved 7/20 penalties so far for Liverpool which is a pretty good stat to be honest.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2563: Aug 15, 2017 11:37:34 pm
      Commentators said that he has saved 7/20 penalties so far for Liverpool which is a pretty good stat to be honest.

Well good thing they don't count shootouts because that Middlesbrough game is gonna bring that stat way down  ;D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2564: Aug 16, 2017 12:15:45 am
      I mean, do I just post 'f**k you Simon' in here now to save time after the match?

Will it be a formal or informal retraction my good man?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2565: Aug 16, 2017 06:35:09 am
      Will it be a formal or informal retraction my good man?

Let's wait until the weekends over then I can hopefully retract.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2566: Aug 16, 2017 07:00:17 am
      He did his job well last night, he did what he is paid for. He needs to improve as well.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2567: Aug 16, 2017 01:35:08 pm
      Had a good game against the Hoff.

Saved a pen, saved a few other key shots as well.

Can't be easy behind that shambolic defence.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2568: Aug 16, 2017 01:39:19 pm
      Had a good game against the Hoff.

Saved a pen, saved a few other key shots as well.

Can't be easy behind that shambolic defence.

And midfield.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2569: Aug 20, 2017 09:07:09 pm
      Imagine how much we'd be losing our sh*t if Mignolet did what Lloris did today? He saves that 2nd goal 10 times out of 10. Also those that harangue him for not releasing balls quickly watch back that second Chelsea goal for what can happen if you don't do so carefully
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2570: Aug 20, 2017 09:11:07 pm
      Imagine how much we'd be losing our sh*t if Mignolet did what Lloris did today? He saves that 2nd goal 10 times out of 10. Also those that harangue him for not releasing balls quickly watch back that second Chelsea goal for what can happen if you don't do so carefully

What you mean like roll it straight out to the opposition, yeah Migs would never do that, well apart from last week like but, the past is the past!

I'd swap Lloris for Migs, pay them £25m and feel completely confident we'd got the better of the deal. Even the best goalkeepers make mistakes, it's the nature of the game, Migs' are just far too consistent. Against Watford he was total horseshit, against a Palace attack that barely mustered more than a sporadic attack he looked fine, perhaps also removing Moreno and Lovren helped his nerves, I know it helped mine but defending him on the back of other's mistakes, especially a keeper a few leagues ahead of him in quality doesn't wash.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2571: Aug 20, 2017 09:21:57 pm
      What you mean like roll it straight out to the opposition, yeah Migs would never do that, well apart from last week like but, the past is the past!

I'd swap Lloris for Migs, pay them £25m and feel completely confident we'd got the better of the deal. Even the best goalkeepers make mistakes, it's the nature of the game, Migs' are just far too consistent. Against Watford he was total horseshit, against a Palace attack that barely mustered more than a sporadic attack he looked fine, perhaps also removing Moreno and Lovren helped his nerves, I know it helped mine but defending him on the back of other's mistakes, especially a keeper a few leagues ahead of him in quality doesn't wash.

Mate Lloris drops clangers habitually I'm amazed he gets the press he does it's why for however many years he's been at Spurs no one else has looked at him.
      We're far too harsh no Migs. How many mistakes did he make last season that led to a goal vrs how many times did he pull us out of the sh*t? Has he ever played in front of a settled back 4 with us?
      I've come round to him a lot past year or so, he's not top drawer but he's a good keeper wish people would get off his back.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2572: Aug 20, 2017 09:22:51 pm

Simon is not Lloris. He doesn't save anything 10 out of 10. He has a 2/1 saves to goals conceded average, one of the worst in the league.

If we had Lloris and he did that, we'd say 'tough break, he'll be fine next week'. When Simon does it it's same sh*t different week.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2573: Aug 20, 2017 09:27:29 pm
      Simon is not Lloris. He doesn't save anything 10 out of 10. He has a 2/1 saves to goals conceded average, one of the worst in the league.

If we had Lloris and he did that, we'd say 'tough break, he'll be fine next week'. When Simon does it it's same sh*t different week.

Give me examples. How many times did he have a shocker last season? Hull away springs out can't think of many more. Lloris is f***in shocking hes damn lucky he plays in front of the defence he does at Spurs
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2574: Aug 20, 2017 09:44:22 pm
      Mate Lloris drops clangers habitually I'm amazed he gets the press he does it's why for however many years he's been at Spurs no one else has looked at him.
      We're far too harsh no Migs. How many mistakes did he make last season that led to a goal vrs how many times did he pull us out of the sh*t? Has he ever played in front of a settled back 4 with us?
      I've come round to him a lot past year or so, he's not top drawer but he's a good keeper wish people would get off his back.

Behave yourself, Migs and Lloris last 2 seasons:

Lloris saves per goal 2016/17: 2.78
      Migs saves per goal 2016/17: 1.5
      Squaka performance score Lloris 862.73
      Squaka performance score Migs 364.81

Lloris saves per goal 2015/16: 2.13
      Migs saves per goal 2015/16: 1.27
      Squaka performance score Lloris: 656.77
      Squaka performance score Migs: 114.88

He's got better and better to the point he's right up there with the best in the league now, Migs has regressed if anything and is below average at best.

Edit: Comparison matrix added:

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2017 09:59:05 pm by KopiteLuke »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2575: Aug 20, 2017 10:14:04 pm
      Behave yourself, Migs and Lloris last 2 seasons:

Lloris saves per goal 2016/17: 2.78
      Migs saves per goal 2016/17: 1.5
      Squaka performance score Lloris 862.73
      Squaka performance score Migs 364.81

Lloris saves per goal 2015/16: 2.13
      Migs saves per goal 2015/16: 1.27
      Squaka performance score Lloris: 656.77
      Squaka performance score Migs: 114.88

He's got better and better to the point he's right up there with the best in the league now, Migs has regressed if anything and is below average at best.

Edit: Comparison matrix added:

Like a lot of stats they mean absolutely F**k all , doesn't take into account the defence in front , types of saves etc

Quick Reply