Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306199 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2760: Nov 05, 2017 02:04:00 pm
      Not good enough for Liverpool FC.

Mignolet made captain is as laughable as Lovren made player of the month.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2761: Nov 05, 2017 02:04:03 pm
      Which he has done a few times, but to blame him for the goal conceded is ludicrous. I am sure on another day, he would have saved that shot.

That's just not good enough though. We can't have 'on another day' goalkeepers especially with a defence that's going to give up chances
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2762: Nov 05, 2017 02:22:26 pm
      Which he has done a few times, but to blame him for the goal conceded is ludicrous. I am sure on another day, he would have saved that shot.
      I don’t blame him for the goal, but he still should have stopped it.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #2763: Nov 05, 2017 03:22:45 pm

Migs stays on his line he walks over and picks that ball up before it hits the bottom corner. If Lanzini tries another shot, he's on his weaker side facing away from goal.

He should have stayed on his line. Plain and simple.

I know you are a big critic of his. So I understand that no matter what, he would be criticised.

It goes like this. He was too slow off his line against Ayew, but too quick off his line against Lanzini. In other words, he should have come off his line for Ayew (and the complaint is, he hesitated), but he should have stayed on his line for Lanzini (and the complaint is, he didn't hesitate).

You see... he's always in the wrong. If he had stayed on his line against Lanzini, the complaint would have been "why did he not come for the ball?".
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2764: Nov 05, 2017 04:28:11 pm
      I know you are a big critic of his. So I understand that no matter what, he would be criticised.

It goes like this. He was too slow off his line against Ayew, but too quick off his line against Lanzini. In other words, he should have come off his line for Ayew (and the complaint is, he hesitated), but he should have stayed on his line for Lanzini (and the complaint is, he didn't hesitate).

You see... he's always in the wrong. If he had stayed on his line against Lanzini, the complaint would have been "why did he not come for the ball?".

But that's the nature of the game. There are times to come and times to stay. He got both wrong in my eyes.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2765: Nov 05, 2017 04:38:22 pm
      Hmmm he came out to ckose the angle down and to rush Lanzini into taking a shot without having time to think. Like every goalkeeper is coached. Was a nice finish from their POV.

Seen none of the game but no doubt he was a bit flappy and still can't kick for sh*t but he's not saving that one and the blame for that one goes on Gomez for a poor piece of defending.

Mignolet will F**k up again very soon so no need to give him a hard time for a well taken post and in effort from 8 yards out ;D.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2766: Nov 05, 2017 04:56:12 pm
      RedWilly

• 9,147 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2767: Nov 05, 2017 05:17:31 pm

I dunno, I mean we’ve seen Mignolet put a goal kick out for a corner before :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2768: Nov 05, 2017 05:28:28 pm

"he's always in the wrong", couldn't agree more. :-(
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2769: Nov 05, 2017 05:30:41 pm

If that was Migs it would have taken him another few seconds to figure out the ball was behind him.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2770: Nov 05, 2017 08:01:03 pm
      I'm with Mags here he's our biggest liability back there and the 4 lads in front of him know it and it's a confidence killer.

We need to get rid if you don't improve in 3 years as a senior pro you never will.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #2771: Nov 05, 2017 10:28:55 pm
      If that was Migs it would have taken him another few seconds to figure out the ball was behind him.

Nar he would have thought he'd actually kicked it
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2772: Nov 05, 2017 11:00:11 pm
      We can argue about how bad Mignolet is all day long, whether he’s being scapegoated unfairly or not, he’s not good enough to be our starting keeper. We need better and I contend that’s not a debateable topic.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2773: Nov 05, 2017 11:04:44 pm
      We can argue about how bad Mignolet is all day long, whether he’s being scapegoated unfairly or not, he’s not good enough to be our starting keeper. We need better and I contend that’s not a debateable topic.

Agree. Well put
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2774: Nov 09, 2017 12:28:02 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11119073/mignolet-city-can-be-caught

Not a fan of this stuff because we have shown nothing to suggest we are at their level.

Mignolet is one who does a lot of talking off the pitch about what we can do and what we want to do.

Much rather we kept stayed humble and quiet and concentrated on improving ourselves rather than spouting off in the media.

Especially when we are out of the top 4 at the moment, let alone about to catch Man City.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2775: Nov 09, 2017 12:37:01 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11119073/mignolet-city-can-be-caught

Not a fan of this stuff because we have shown nothing to suggest we are at their level.

Mignolet is one who does a lot of talking off the pitch about what we can do and what we want to do.

Much rather we kept stayed humble and quiet and concentrated on improving ourselves rather than spouting off in the media.

Especially when we are out of the top 4 at the moment, let alone about to catch Man City.

Agreed. 100%
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2776: Nov 09, 2017 12:43:23 pm

I have one thing to say to Simon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #2777: Nov 09, 2017 12:49:42 pm

We do need a better keeper, no doubt.  However, I'm quite certain that Karius ain't the answer.  I do like what little I've seen from Ward, but that may be more wishful thinking than anything else. 

One thing I will say in Migs defense -- I've seen numerous occasions where our defenders are given extra slack because, "It must be a nightmare having to defend properly knowing you've got Simon behind you."  However, I don't think I've ever seen Migs get the same sort of slack.  It must be a nightmare playing in goal and watching the "Future Captain" faff about and gift the opposition with unmissable chances.....  Maybe Migs would seem better if we had better CB's in the team. 

A top GK should still be a priority though. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2778: Nov 26, 2017 12:03:01 am
      Not sure how accurate it is and I've not had chance to check but in the commentary today, they said that in our last 3 league games we've faced 1 shot on target...vs West Ham...which was a goal.

Standard practice if that's true.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2779: Nov 26, 2017 02:40:02 am
      Personally I thought he played well today.
      Put in some quality saves and was brave at times
      I also don’t fault him at all for the fluke goal from Willain
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2780: Nov 26, 2017 03:20:04 am
      Regardless of how much he is or isn’t at fault for our troubles, I think this marriage has run its course. Sometimes, two entities just can’t work together and I think in the case of Migs and LFC that is the case.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2781: Nov 26, 2017 04:15:59 am
      Regardless of how much he is or isn’t at fault for our troubles, I think this marriage has run its course. Sometimes, two entities just can’t work together and I think in the case of Migs and LFC that is the case.

That I agree with but I still feel that folk have to give praise when obvious and to criticize when needed.
      Mig today deserved no abuse at all
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #2782: Nov 26, 2017 04:30:08 am
      This guy couldn't save a word document.

Quick Reply