Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 307618 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2875: Dec 25, 2017 07:19:23 pm
      Of course confidence is important for any player, of any position, and perhaps even more so for a goalkeeper, but in the end it's a results business and you can either deliver or not. You are either mentally strong enough to be a top player or you're not.

It's oversimplification. Some might just obviously have it or not, but many habe the potential that needs to be used. You grow with your tasks, adversities and trust, it's a loop. Mig has the potential, no doubt, he's the 2nd best keeper of Belgium that is not some Malta or San Marino, it's a football power with a good league. But just when he came out from a decent 2nd half of last season Klopp decided to put Karius into the CL, a guy who looked terrible in his first attemps in the PL. What message does this send? Yeah, the message holds: I want Karius as my goalkeeper eventually and you out, but I want to make the transition slowly, for his and your benefit. I am not surprised in any way that Migs can't dial up his best under this conditions. Imagine your employer would do this to you, would you have still 100% motivation and swagger? I wouldn't, in fact I'd be more dealing with looking for new employments than being into the current one, it's just natural.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2876: Dec 25, 2017 07:24:11 pm
      It's oversimplification. Some might just obviously have it or not, but many habe the potential that needs to be used. You grow with your tasks, adversities and trust, it's a loop. Mig has the potential, no doubt, he's the 2nd best keeper of Belgium that is not some Malta or San Marino, it's a football power with a good league. But just when he came out from a decent 2nd half of last season Klopp decided to put Karius into the CL, a guy who looked terrible in his first attemps in the PL. What message does this send? Yeah, the message holds: I want Karius as my goalkeeper eventually and you out, but I want to make the transition slowly, for his and your benefit. I am not surprised in any way that Migs can't dial up his best under this conditions. Imagine your employer would do this to you, would you have still 100% motivation and swagger? I wouldn't, in fact I'd be more dealing with looking for new employments than being into the current one, it's just natural.

Jesus. IF Mignolet repeatedly making mistakes was something new, only common this season, then maybe - and that is really trying to see it from your side - you could have a point.

But it's not. He's been unreliable his whole career for LFC. He didn't suddenly start making mistakes because Karius is playing in the Champions League, the cause effect association you make is ludicrous.

As for being number 2 in Belgium, who gives a f**k. Doni was once Brazil's number 1 and it doesn't change the fact he was sh*t.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2877: Dec 25, 2017 08:16:36 pm

That argument may hold some sway if he had only been making mistakes since the split in Cl duties this season.
      However he's been making them since the day he signed for us so it doesn't whatsoever
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #2878: Dec 25, 2017 09:26:48 pm
      Are there numbers that prove he's not within the elite class of the PL? Because this can easily be a brainfuck about a good goalkeeper, just like many have Moreno on their radar and magnify his mistakes while he's actually pretty good. I'd need a comparison of goals conceded and how many of them where objectively a mistake of the goalie. That's a stat one probably won't find and just pure percentages can be very misleading, because let's face it: nobody knows what they would look like if Mig and deGea switched places, it depends a lot on the defense.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,972 posts | 237 
      Reply #2879: Dec 26, 2017 03:10:24 am
      Are there numbers that prove he's not within the elite class of the PL? Because this can easily be a brainfuck about a good goalkeeper, just like many have Moreno on their radar and magnify his mistakes while he's actually pretty good. I'd need a comparison of goals conceded and how many of them where objectively a mistake of the goalie. That's a stat one probably won't find and just pure percentages can be very misleading, because let's face it: nobody knows what they would look like if Mig and deGea switched places, it depends a lot on the defense.

In a way, this restores the belief in our fan base when I see that there are still a few supporters believing in the ability and supporting Migs.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,177 posts | 1630 
      Reply #2880: Dec 26, 2017 06:31:57 am
      Mig is a goalie within the top20 goalkeepers of the world. I dunno what you expect. Look at Neuer. He's supposed to be the best one but injured, so he's worse than Mig at this point. Look at Czech who did the same mistake like Mig. Stop pretending Mig is a loser that slept with Klopp's daughter to get the job and now his incompetence is shown. In fact I remain vocal that Klopp's insane idea of splitting the jobs between Mig and Karius unleashed the late unsettled Mig. Jürgen's fault!

You are are an absolute bufoon if you think Migs is top 20! Ripa just posted a stat showing him as the worst of 20 keepers in his own league, how is that top 20 in the world :D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2881: Dec 26, 2017 08:33:05 am
      Mig is a goalie within the top20 goalkeepers of the world. I dunno what you expect. Look at Neuer. He's supposed to be the best one but injured, so he's worse than Mig at this point. Look at Czech who did the same mistake like Mig. Stop pretending Mig is a loser that slept with Klopp's daughter to get the job and now his incompetence is shown. In fact I remain vocal that Klopp's insane idea of splitting the jobs between Mig and Karius unleashed the late unsettled Mig. Jürgen's fault!

Akham Asylum must have wifi connection now
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2882: Dec 26, 2017 01:13:53 pm

Christmas Day must have been a very dodgy experience in Pippen's house for him to come up with this astounding bout of diarrhea.

Listen  - Mignolet isn't even amongst the top 20 goalkeepers in this Liverpool squad!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2883: Dec 26, 2017 02:15:14 pm
      Christmas Day must have been a very dodgy experience in Pippen's house for him to come up with this astounding bout of diarrhea.

Listen  - Mignolet isn't even amongst the top 20 goalkeepers in this Liverpool squad!
      Mignolet wouldn't be the best 20 in an OAP home with 21 people.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2884: Dec 26, 2017 04:11:19 pm
      I’m now convinced Pippen is either Mignolet himself, his agent or his mum.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #2885: Dec 26, 2017 07:36:20 pm
      He pulled off some great saves tonight against Swansea, wonderful.

oh wait...

ruthcity

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #2886: Dec 26, 2017 08:47:57 pm
      Clean sheet! Top top performance today. No mistakes.

A player without the ball can never make any mistakes. Play him but keep the ball far away from him. Or sack him, a player not on the pitch will not make a single mistake.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2887: Dec 26, 2017 11:38:15 pm
      Mignolet had nothing much to do today, so don't get fooled by clean sheets.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #2888: Dec 27, 2017 09:46:22 am
      I know Migs is prone to a gaff but so are alot of other keepers. Lloris didn't cover himself in glory yesterday either and he's classed as one of the top keepers in the world. I still think Migs is often let down by our defence and the way we play. With better defenders in front of him Mignolet would be better and that goes for Karius. We slag off our keeper on here because we have rely on him alot because our defence fucks up so much. If we do get a little cash richer and buy another keeper we could still be in the same boat. The same goes for buying better defenders. We will leek goals because of the way we play this high line. So I'm quite happy with our keepers at this point in time.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2889: Dec 27, 2017 01:50:41 pm
      Great save in the dying seconds against Swansea!

Not really....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2890: Dec 27, 2017 04:42:19 pm
      200 appearances for the club.

Let that sink in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2891: Dec 28, 2017 01:54:03 am
      200 appearances for the club.

Let that sink in.

I dread to think how many goals he has cost us in them 200 games.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2892: Dec 28, 2017 02:33:07 am
      I dread to think how many goals he has cost us in them 200 games.

Safe to say about 200
      ruthcity

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #2893: Dec 28, 2017 06:22:05 pm
      He can be as poor a keeper as he wants from this moment because there’s now better protection in front of him.

I could play in goal too. Anyone can actually.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2894: Dec 28, 2017 06:24:10 pm
      He can be as poor a keeper as he wants from this moment because there’s now better protection in front of him.

I could play in goal too. Anyone can actually.

Not entirely true.

The Xhaka goal has nothing to do with cbs... It's the fact he has smoke for hands
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2895: Dec 28, 2017 07:45:42 pm
      Not entirely true.

The Xhaka goal has nothing to do with cbs... It's the fact he has smoke for hands
      It's the first goal that was the worst. Stuck to his line. If that were Karius he would have watched the game and moved to the ball. Second goal was bad to concede but not as bad as the first. The last goal is hard to pin on Mignolet. 2/3 of those goals would be saved be a goalkeeper. Mignolet really is the world's best dodgeball player.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2896: Dec 28, 2017 07:55:45 pm
       VVD for Christmas ...lets have a new goalie to welcome in 2018.

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2897: Dec 29, 2017 03:07:42 am

Give over. Every keeper in the premier league and the championship for that matter makes that save.

Big standard, run of the mill stop that looks good because he can do F**k all else.

Quick Reply