Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308037 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2898: Jan 01, 2018 07:18:02 pm
      Am I being harsh or should he have made a better effort for that Burnley goal today?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,256 posts | 6365 
      Reply #2899: Jan 01, 2018 07:34:14 pm
      Am I being harsh or should he have made a better effort for that Burnley goal today?

To me, would have been a world class save, wouldn’t have expected De Gea to make that save to be honest.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2900: Jan 01, 2018 07:35:16 pm

Not sure if coming out would have made any difference, Gomez's propensity to ball watch is worrying.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2901: Jan 01, 2018 07:38:48 pm
      Not sure if coming out would have made any difference, Gomez's propensity to ball watch is worrying.

But he’s not spreading himself to cover the near post.....
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2902: Jan 01, 2018 07:41:00 pm
      Pickford wouldn't be a bad pick up for you lads. Certainly better than the current crop of keepers you have.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2903: Jan 01, 2018 08:02:46 pm
      Definitely better than Mignolet, but that can be said of basically every first keeper in the league.

I still think Karius migh come good with enough games.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2904: Jan 01, 2018 08:04:03 pm
      Pickford wouldn't be a bad pick up for you lads. Certainly better than the current crop of keepers you have.

You could do with him when we sign De Gea... ;)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2905: Jan 01, 2018 08:52:54 pm
      You could do with him when we sign De Gea... ;)

Only in your dreams  ;D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2906: Jan 02, 2018 07:34:25 am
      Mignolet has won all three of the matches in which he has been skipper - all away to West Ham (4-1), Stoke (3-0) and now Burnley.

100% Record, keep it up until you're still here :) He saved some decent shoots yesterday. He was not in fault for their goal.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2907: Jan 02, 2018 11:13:58 am
      As the cross comes in he takes two steps back towards the goal line and  nearer his right post. I give up.

https://youtu.be/SESUHEAEuYg
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2908: Jan 02, 2018 11:33:52 am
      Definitely better than Mignolet, but that can be said of basically every first keeper in the league.

I still think Karius migh come good with enough games.

Well Klopp disagrees with you and I guess he sees more of him than we do.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2909: Jan 02, 2018 11:35:30 am
      As the cross comes in he takes two steps back towards the goal line and  nearer his right post. I give up.

That's overly harsh, most keepers would have struggled to save that, which begs the question why we don't practice that kind of flick on tactic a bit more, its a great attack.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2910: Jan 02, 2018 11:52:20 am
      That's overly harsh, most keepers would have struggled to save that, which begs the question why we don't practice that kind of flick on tactic a bit more, its a great attack.

I don't demand he saves it. At least be less negative. Two steps back?
      How about one step left? Where does he anticipate the ball is going? Top right corner of the goal? How much of the goal has he exposed staying at the right post?

Fine who am I to say this? He's his own biggest critique. I'm already sick and tired. He brought it upon himself. He's had enough chances to wise up. How many more years?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #2911: Jan 02, 2018 11:54:42 am
      Did look like he was very aware of the post, unlike the Burnley lad who only saw the ball.......

That said I’m not sure I’d put that one down to him in a meaningful way.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #2912: Jan 02, 2018 03:33:17 pm

Are you joking? Do you think any goalkeeper comes for that cross? Do you not see how far out that cross was? The curve on that cross? There is no way that 1. he manages to get there in time 2. gets a good hand on it without bulldozing Klavan or Barnes. Risk assessment, if he goes and misses it, he's screwed. He stays and covers a big area of his goal, he has a chance of saving it.

You do know we have CB's who are supposed to be defending these crosses? Look at the position where the ball ends up. Which corner is Barnes most likely to head to? Indeed, his nearer right corner and that's where he is. If Barnes manages to head that into far corner then well F***ing done that's a beautiful header and not saveable anyway. He has 75% of his goal covered in his position, the other 25% is the far corner where he'll never get.

I'm surprised people haven't started blaming him yet for letting in Rooney's penalty. After all it was in the F***ing middle, how hard can it be to save a shot straight through the middle!?

I don't want him in goal either, but the blaming him for goals that he's never going to save is starting to get silly. Blame him all you want for the Xhaka goal, but there's nothing he could've done for this one.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      Reply #2913: Jan 03, 2018 09:00:29 am
      Are you joking? Do you think any goalkeeper comes for that cross? Do you not see how far out that cross was? The curve on that cross? There is no way that 1. he manages to get there in time 2. gets a good hand on it without bulldozing Klavan or Barnes. Risk assessment, if he goes and misses it, he's screwed. He stays and covers a big area of his goal, he has a chance of saving it.

You do know we have CB's who are supposed to be defending these crosses? Look at the position where the ball ends up. Which corner is Barnes most likely to head to? Indeed, his nearer right corner and that's where he is. If Barnes manages to head that into far corner then well F***ing done that's a beautiful header and not saveable anyway. He has 75% of his goal covered in his position, the other 25% is the far corner where he'll never get.

I'm surprised people haven't started blaming him yet for letting in Rooney's penalty. After all it was in the F***ing middle, how hard can it be to save a shot straight through the middle!?

I don't want him in goal either, but the blaming him for goals that he's never going to save is starting to get silly. Blame him all you want for the Xhaka goal, but there's nothing he could've done for this one.

I know Simon is not the best around and gets slated by the pundits and fans (as if there isn't enough pressure on him already), yes he has made mistakes but looking at recent games he wasn't at fault when we dropped 2 points against Everton and West Brom and yes he had a "hand" in dropping 2 points against Arsenal, we have only lost 2 games in the prem both by big goal margins, one with 10 men on the pitch and the other just outplayed (Spurs, where he should have done better for 1 of the goals). The fact is, if the defence had done it's job or we had scored more goals (I,m only talking 1 or 2 here) we should be 6 points better off in the table. It's not all down to the keeper is all I'm saying, but some make out it's all his fault. Give him his confidence back by getting behind him because he's the number 1 at the club like it or not, could make all the difference.

I totally agree with both of you. I'm was fan of Mignolet but I know that we need a better keeper to challenge for trophies. He makes mistakes but not every goal is saveable and not every goal is his fault.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2914: Jan 03, 2018 10:17:15 am
      I don't demand he saves it. At least be less negative. Two steps back?
      How about one step left? Where does he anticipate the ball is going? Top right corner of the goal? How much of the goal has he exposed staying at the right post?

I totally agree with both of you. I'm was fan of Mignolet but I know that we need a better keeper to challenge for trophies. He makes mistakes but not every goal is saveable and not every goal is his fault.

Let’s just be fair to him and just talk about his fundamentals which has the tendency to often go wrong. No?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      Reply #2915: Jan 03, 2018 10:35:32 am
      Let’s just be fair to him and just talk about his fundamentals which has the tendency to often go wrong. No?

He's a decent keeper but not our standard. Sometimes, he has a brain-fart :/
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2916: Jan 16, 2018 12:25:14 am
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2917: Jan 16, 2018 12:28:35 am
      Not being funny mate but I very much doubt you'll be playing at any World Cup.
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018 12:52:17 am by what-a-hit-son »
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #2918: Jan 16, 2018 12:39:55 am
      Sell him!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #2919: Jan 16, 2018 12:41:50 am
      There is only one way he plays in the world Cup and that is injury to Coutius.   
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2920: Jan 16, 2018 05:55:18 am
      There is only one way he plays in the world Cup and that is injury to Coutius.   

Is he really the second best Belgian keeper, I find that hard to believe.

Quick Reply