Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

The difficulty we are finding getting back to the top

Read 14058 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6419 
      Re: The difficulty we are finding getting back to the top
      Reply #115: Jul 19, 2013 01:52:40 pm
      Im sorry but there is a direct link to getting better players for higher money.

Every now and then you will get a coutinho but thats every couple of years for us.

Money should be spent wisely no one argues against that but spending bigger money wisely gets better players than spending smaller money wisely.

As for the argument of buying several players for positions we can only play 11 players at one time. We now have backups for positions our starting 11 is weak in.

Would like to see some quality additions to starting 11 positions whether its 12m or 25m whatever it takes to improve

You do realize that some players will not come here because we don't have Champion's League football right?

We can have a 200m budget but that doesn't mean we can sign Messi and Ronaldo. The players that you so want to splash cash on have to WANT to come here without European football. I'm sorry that people don't like the fact that our history and heritage isn't quite enough of a pull for some players but that's just the cold hard reality smacking you in the face.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #116: Jul 19, 2013 04:24:21 pm
      You do realize that some players will not come here because we don't have Champion's League football right?

Good.

I've said many times that if a player is coming here to play Champions League football then they can F**k off. You play for Liverpool Football Club for the honour and privilege of playing for the biggest club in the world, not just because we happen to be a club in the Champions League.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6419 
      Reply #117: Jul 19, 2013 04:25:31 pm
      Good.

I've said many times that if a player is coming here to play Champions League football then they can f**k off. You play for Liverpool Football Club for the honour and privilege of playing for the biggest club in the world, not just because we happen to be a club in the Champions League.

Can't argue with that.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #118: Jul 19, 2013 04:58:34 pm
      I think sadly the time when  players show loyalty to a football club has long gone.
      The best you can hope for is that they do what they are paid for kissing the badge is just a load of bolloxs for most of them.Its all about the money.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #119: Jul 19, 2013 05:30:07 pm
      Good.

I've said many times that if a player is coming here to play Champions League football then they can f**k off. You play for Liverpool Football Club for the honour and privilege of playing for the biggest club in the world, not just because we happen to be a club in the Champions League.

We're not the biggest club in the world.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #120: Jul 19, 2013 05:59:59 pm
      Quote from Carlos Qiqabal
      Make a list of the top twenty footballers currently in the country.

Now make a list of the top twenty surgeons. Or nurses. Or soldiers.

See the problem here?

I don't see your point, let alone the problem.

Full-time, ultra-professional footballers should have no problem playing 2, 3 or how many games a week the schedule dictates. It's their livelihood. They get paid more than enough for the priviledge.

When you see other sportspeople getting through multiple contests in their sports per week, (sometimes on consecutive days) the idea that footballers can't do it is ridiculous.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #121: Jul 19, 2013 06:20:20 pm
      isn't that the sad truth.We are no longer one of the top players chosen destinations its either lots of money or lots of success they want or even both.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #122: Jul 19, 2013 07:23:39 pm
      Actually Walton mate I immediately regretted posting that as soon as I hit the send button as I anticipated it would lead to a bunch of aggro from the superfans - thanks for the honesty - +1 for you.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #123: Jul 19, 2013 07:31:43 pm
      Fair play lads.

Winning attracts winners, and unfortunately the game is now full of what some would call mercenaries.
      I disagree with that. I know these players get huge amounts, but unless they go into coaching or management, that's basically it for them, that money has to last the rest of their lives.

Sometimes I long for the days when we picked up the odd quality player here and there to compliment the players we already had, and constantly got stronger as a result.
      I know Shanks wasn't afraid to splash out a few quid, but he only spent large amounts (for the time) when he had to rebuild, other wise it was just tinkering.

Ah well, the game has changed, and I doubt we'll see that again anytime soon unless BR turns out to be another genius with a great eye for a player.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #124: Jul 19, 2013 08:56:56 pm

I know Shanks wasn't afraid to splash out a few quid, but he only spent large amounts (for the time) when he had to rebuild, other wise it was just tinkering.

We,re now cemented as a mid table club, think it might be time to spend and rebuild
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #125: Jul 19, 2013 08:58:39 pm
      We,re now cemented as a mid table club, think it might be time to spend and rebuild
      by telling the truth you may be tarred as anti FSG,.The table doesn't lie
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #126: Jul 19, 2013 10:05:49 pm

Yes we F***ing are.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #127: Jul 19, 2013 10:26:52 pm

Pipe down Superfan  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #128: Jul 19, 2013 11:05:35 pm

We're the biggest club in my world, unfortunately that's not always the real one.

:action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :f_run: :action-smiley-060: :copper:

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #129: Jul 19, 2013 11:06:28 pm

I don't say it tongue in cheek mate, I am a superfan.

And don't give two fucks if people think that's a bad thing, I'd rather be a superfan those some F***ing pessimistic bitter c**t that a large section of our fanbase has turned into over the past decade.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #130: Jul 19, 2013 11:26:53 pm
      I don't say it tongue in cheek mate, I am a superfan.

And don't give two fucks if people think that's a bad thing, I'd rather be a superfan those some f**king pessimistic bitter c**t that a large section of our fanbase has turned into over the past decade.

I know that mate. Was in relation to a post above you.

Like you I believe we are the biggest club in the world.

Stats and arguments might prove me wrong but that's what I believe.

Edit: After re reading my own latest post in the Reina transfer thread I'm not sure I even believe what I've just written above.

Biggest clubs in the world just don't loan out keepers of Pepe Reina's quality.
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013 11:32:19 pm by srslfc »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #131: Jul 20, 2013 12:05:45 am
      After tonights news it appears we the  club are making it harder  than it should be.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #132: Jul 20, 2013 12:13:14 am
      After tonights news it appears we the  club are making it harder  than it should be.

It's a kick in the teeth (no pun intended) for the hopes of keeping Suarez as well I believe. It's absolutely crucial we keep players with experience and class. Both Reina and Suarez had that and now there's a very real possibility that we will start the season with both of them gone. How very depressing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #133: Jul 20, 2013 12:16:35 am
      It's a kick in the teeth (no pun intended) for the hopes of keeping Suarez as well I believe. It's absolutely crucial we keep players with experience and class. Both Reina and Suarez had that and now there's a very real possibility that we will start the season with both of them gone. How very depressing.

Any faith I had in the soundbites of keeping Suarez disappeared with tonight's news about Reina.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #134: Jul 20, 2013 12:34:13 am
      Any faith I had in the soundbites of keeping Suarez disappeared with tonight's news about Reina.

Exactly what I was thinking. 24 hours ago thought would be it impossible for suarez to leave without some crazy offer

Now I'm leaning towards 40m will be enough to cut costs then spend 20 on a soldado type and say we reinvested
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #135: Jul 20, 2013 12:54:23 am
      I know that mate. Was in relation to a post above you.

Like you I believe we are the biggest club in the world.

Stats and arguments might prove me wrong but that's what I believe.

Edit: After re reading my own latest post in the Reina transfer thread I'm not sure I even believe what I've just written above.

Biggest clubs in the world just don't loan out keepers of Pepe Reina's quality.

I know what it was in relation to mate and I know you feel (felt...depending on where your heads at at the mo) the same way as me. Regardless of what facts and figures say and regardless of what people want me to believe, Liverpool Football Club will always be the biggest club in the world.

As for tonight's news, it's disappointing that we're even considering letting Pepe go let alone on loan. It's not often I agree with Harry Redknapp but when he said the other day if Napoli want a player then they can buy him cos they've just 50 odd mill for Cavani, surely the same should be applying to us. If Napoli want him, then F***ing pay for him.

If Reina wants to leave then F**k him, he can go with anybody else who wants to leave this club. He can easily turn round and say F**k off, I'm staying put. I'm happy here, me kids are settled here and I'm prepared to fight for me place. I love the club, I love the city and I love the fans. So F**k you Napoli, I'm a Liverpool player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #136: Jul 20, 2013 12:59:54 am
      I know what it was in relation to mate and I know you feel (felt...depending on where your heads at at the mo) the same way as me. Regardless of what facts and figures say and regardless of what people want me to believe, Liverpool Football Club will always be the biggest club in the world.

Heads up my arse at the minute mate but normally this is how I see it.

If Reina wants to leave then f**k him, he can go with anybody else who wants to leave this club. He can easily turn round and say f**k off, I'm staying put. I'm happy here, me kids are settled here and I'm prepared to fight for me place. I love the club, I love the city and I love the fans. So f**k you Napoli, I'm a Liverpool player.

Agree.

Just got into a debate about this on twitter and far too many for my liking seem to think we 'owe' Pepe his move to Barca and should accept the loan as it's best for him. It being a World Cup year and all that.

F***ing bollocks.

I love Reina but I love the club far more and if we accept that he wants out thats fine by me but he should have to wait until the right offer comes in for us and not just him.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6419 
      Reply #137: Jul 20, 2013 01:03:21 am
      Heads up my arse at the minute mate but normally this is how I see it.

Agree.

Just got into a debate about this on twitter and far too many for my liking seem to think we 'owe' Pepe his move to Barca and should accept the loan as it's best for him. It being a World Cup year and all that.

F***ing bollocks.

I love Reina but I love the club far more and if we accept that he wants out thats fine by me but he should have to wait until the right offer comes in for us and not just him.

So I'm honestly confused Si, whose fault is this move? FSG, Ayre, Rafa, Rodgers, Reina, all the above?

Who do we blame?

Quick Reply