Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Buy Fabregas and keep Suarez. A message for FSG (it also makes financial sense)

Read 4471 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Buy Fabregas and keep Suarez. A message for FSG (it also makes financial sense)
      Jul 21, 2013 10:09:28 am
       Lots of fans are understandably losing a bit of faith in the owners of the club and the direction we are taking. Seemingly some of the players are too, particularly Suarez. In many ways you can't blame them. I really rate Brendan and think we've got some fine youngsters coming through, but we haven't been as good as the clubs above us for four seasons now. To catch them up, it stands to reason either they've got to get worse (all of them) or we've got to improve. It's hard to do that when you sell/loan your best players and don't re-invest the proceeds, and it's made even harder when those above you are spending like there is no tomorrow.

Something somewhere has to give, and I think that something is our ownership. Now we apparently were prepared to spend big on Mkitawhatsisface, so my guess is we are considering buying a goalscoring midfielder and switching Gerrard back into the holding role. This makes massive sense to me and kills a couple of birds (which I won't go into right now or the thread will be derailed) with one stone. Given that we didn't get the Armenian bloke, lets go buy ourselves a different version.

Now I rarely comment on overseas players because I've usually never heard of them, but Fabregas I remember very well. I thought he was the best player in the league when he was at Arsenal, and if we could pick him up for anything upto 35 million quid (which I think we could) I think he would completely transform our team. Not only that, but it would send out a signal to players worldwide that we meant business and were going places.

If we got him (or someone as good) and kept Suarez, I think we would seriously challenge for the title not just for fourth place. Get in the Champions League and we'd get our money back, all of it. Time to be bold, time to plan big time to buy a player truly worthy of wearing the shirt. Go buy Fabregas.   
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Buy Fabregas and keep Suarez. A message for FSG (it also makes financial sense)
      Reply #1: Jul 21, 2013 10:17:04 am
      Lots of fans are understandably losing a bit of faith in the owners of the club and the direction we are taking. Seemingly some of the players are too, particularly Suarez. In many ways you can't blame them. I really rate Brendan and think we've got some fine youngsters coming through, but we haven't been as good as the clubs above us for four seasons now. To catch them up, it stands to reason either they've got to get worse (all of them) or we've got to improve. It's hard to do that when you sell/loan your best players and don't re-invest the proceeds, and it's made even harder when those above you are spending like there is no tomorrow.

Something somewhere has to give, and I think that something is our ownership. Now we apparently were prepared to spend big on Mkitawhatsisface, so my guess is we are considering buying a goalscoring midfielder and switching Gerrard back into the holding role. This makes massive sense to me and kills a couple of birds (which I won't go into right now or the thread will be derailed) with one stone. Given that we didn't get the Armenian bloke, lets go buy ourselves a different version.

Now I rarely comment on overseas players because I've usually never heard of them, but Fabregas I remember very well. I thought he was the best player in the league when he was at Arsenal, and if we could pick him up for anything upto 35 million quid (which I think we could) I think he would completely transform our team. Not only that, but it would send out a signal to players worldwide that we meant business and were going places.

If we got him (or someone as good) and kept Suarez, I think we would seriously challenge for the title not just for fourth place. Get in the Champions League and we'd get our money back, all of it. Time to be bold, time to plan big time to buy a player truly worthy of wearing the shirt. Go buy Fabregas.   
      Good suggestion Mick but can FSG afford 2 million quid for Fabregas and will he sign for us for a hundred quid a week. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Buy Fabregas and keep Suarez. A message for FSG (it also makes financial sense)
      Reply #2: Jul 21, 2013 10:29:41 am
      If I was Cesc Fabregas I'd look at the players we have signed so far this window, look at Luis wanting to go, look at us loaning out a world class keeper, look at the uncertainty of whether the manager is the man to get us back to where we belong, look at our league finish last year and look at our lack of European football and then tell us to F**k off.

Bit of a mad one Mick. Just absolutely no way on earth he would leave Barca for us before a Man Utd or what have you.

I do agree we should be trying to break some bollocks to get some worldies in but I'd expect some serious cost cutting to come afterwards if we did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,373 posts | 4973 
      Reply #3: Jul 21, 2013 10:31:37 am
      Makes perfect sense Mick but will not happen.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Jul 21, 2013 10:37:18 am
      Fabregas would only return to one club in England IMO and that's Arsenal.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2013 11:00:19 am
      Fabregas would only return to one club in England IMO and that's Arsenal.

Arsenal I am more than certain have a buy back clause ...... remember them ?  Like Rushie.

Mick

I see where you are going with this ....... you never know.

Sorry for repeating again it but we have the (3 to 5 now ) 2 to 4 weeks to look forward to as Brendan says.

For "Team" players lads and ladettes. The early ones in Aspas etc were just squaddies.

What dya reckon Mick? Fabregas is a "team" player.

Thats what he (BR) told us and all that luverly  TV mazoola to spend. As well as every other club.

If none of the above happen I will be first in the queue to hang FSG and BR out to dry.
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013 11:07:54 am by eurored »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2013 11:04:30 am
      I'm generally on the optimistic side off the Liverpool fence but there is surely zero chance of Fabregas coming to us as things stand?!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2013 11:34:28 am
      There is zero chance of any top level player coming to us in our present state. 

We can pick up half a dozen or so fringe players, that are flirting round the edges of an upper mid table club, from a mediocre league, who see us as a nice staging post to launch their flagging careers but top level players, nah, not a hope in hell.

Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2013 11:56:14 am
      Why should we be obsessed with keeping Suarez? Why do some people think it's our sacred duty to do all whatever we can to please his ego? Why should we be accused of being racists and why should we keep someone who bites opponents and misses 10 games a season? For his goals? F**k his goals! Suarez thinks he's the big fish in a small pond and he's right, we've been kissing his ass for two years now.
      Fabregas? I believe he won't come even if we table a 40m bid for him. Barca don't want to sell, the Mancs want him, Arsenal may still buy him. We're definite outsiders.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2013 11:58:51 am
      There is zero chance of any top level player coming to us in our present state. 

We can pick up half a dozen or so fringe players, that are flirting round the edges of an upper mid table club, from a mediocre league, who see us as a nice staging post to launch their flagging careers but top level players, nah, not a hope in hell.

Mignolet?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2013 12:11:18 pm

Since when was Mignolet a top level players flirting round the edges of the squad of a top level Club?

He was the number 1 gk at a club who narrowly avoided relegation last season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,373 posts | 4973 
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2013 12:14:25 pm
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #12: Jul 21, 2013 12:17:40 pm
      Nice idea Mick but it's unfortunately a non-starter because Fabregas wouldn't come anywhere near us and that's the hard truth of it. But the principle of having a marquee signing (who will deliver) whilst at the same time sending a message to our best players is certainly a good one. The 'sell Luis our vision' chat that Rodgers and Ayre are planing with Suarez and his advisors sounds like a tough sell as things stand. We may well have imprved the squad with our signings but the eye that doesn't know any better might point to the fact we've signed one from the Spanish 2nd div, another who has played all but 1 year of his career in the same league and an ageing centre-half who was surplus to requirements at one of our rivals.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #13: Jul 21, 2013 12:20:56 pm
      Fab? Really? FSG would be collecting the pennies thrown at our players in Goodison. All they can do is bullsh*t around. I am really angry with whatever is happening.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #14: Jul 21, 2013 12:38:32 pm
      Two chances......
      1/ A dogs chance.
      2/ No F***ing chance.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Jul 21, 2013 12:40:43 pm
      Brendan's got five hopes.

Bob hope

No hope

and 3 F***ing envelopes.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #16: Jul 21, 2013 01:46:04 pm
      I don't think Fabregas would sign for anyone but Arsenal. But if he does, it will be ManU.

Why would any top player who has the option of joining better teams choose Liverpool right now? Despite your faith in Rodgers, Mick, the reality is he's a complete unknown manager to players around Europe. He hasn't a reputation as a former great player like Michael Laudrup and he hasn't won anything in his career. He didn't exactly look like a born winner last season in league or cups.

The pull of a manager is very important. If Fabio Capello was in charge of Liverpool, you can be certain we'd have a far better chance of attracting top players. They know a manager who has won things at the highest level has the ability to do it again. With an unknown quantity like Rodgers, until he wins things then there's no proof he is anything but a mid-table manager.

On the general point of signing a big player though, I fully agree. Florentino Perez always said the likes of Zidane, Ronaldo and Figo paid for themselves in shirt sales and increased media profile for the club etc..

ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #17: Jul 21, 2013 05:01:57 pm
      I don't think Fabregas would sign for anyone but Arsenal. But if he does, it will be ManU.

This. We can end this thread now.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18: Jul 21, 2013 06:37:46 pm
      Our best chance of getting him is if he stays at Barca and we qualify for CL football next season, then we can consider it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #19: Jul 21, 2013 07:04:01 pm
       I did say in the topic starter that if we couldn't get him we should get someone like him, a proper player who demonstrates that we are serious. That said, we could just close the thread and have a big argument about where people live and stuff like that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,373 posts | 4973 
      Reply #20: Jul 21, 2013 07:35:13 pm
      I did say in the topic starter that if we couldn't get him we should get someone like him, a proper player who demonstrates that we are serious. That said, we could just close the thread and have a big argument about where people live and stuff like that.

Yep. I got that Mick.

You used Fabregas as an example and your post is still a good one.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #21: Jul 21, 2013 08:19:51 pm
      Even if he was available, I wouldn't pay an extortionate price for him. He's a very very good player, but I'm not sure he's world class. Too many times for Arsenal he would go missing, and I remember in his final season playing against Barcelona in the Champions League he looked anything but a world class player. The only player who looked good for Arsenal was Jack Wilshere, and he looked far more comfortable on the ball.

Overrated? Perhaps, but if he is pining for a move to Man Utd, then it is another player who Wenger has put all his effort in to making, only for the Frenchman to be given the middle finger by the players and go to another arch-rivals. It's no wonder why Arsenal didn't win trophies with piss poor mentalities like that from their players. There's nothing to suggest for me that he has the right mentality to play for Liverpool.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #22: Jul 21, 2013 08:21:35 pm
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As if Fabregas would sign for us at the moment.

Quick Reply