Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?

Read 18277 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?
      Reply #69: Jul 21, 2013 06:08:26 pm
      They all talked about 'competition' but after so many years as undisputed number one, perhaps Reina - given the opportunity - preferred to stay undisputed number one, and was tempted to go to Napoli, and team up with Benitez and Valera, who helped get the best out of him.

Perhaps nobody was pushed out, and Benitez's offer to the club seemed the most sensible to all parties. That's perfectly legitimate to me.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #70: Jul 21, 2013 06:13:42 pm
      Perhaps nobody was pushed out, and Benitez's offer to the club seemed the most sensible to all parties. That's perfectly legitimate to me.

No one in their right mind, especially with our transfer budget, buys a £9m back-up. Give your head a wobble son.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #71: Jul 21, 2013 06:22:22 pm

Or Perhaps it was for 'financial reasons' as Rodgers said ??.

RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #72: Jul 21, 2013 06:36:43 pm
      Or Perhaps it was for 'financial reasons' as Rodgers said ??.

Nah mate, FSG fanboys seem to want to over-look that in a desperate attempt to justify this as being a 'football' decision.

Absolutely pathetic and these 'fans' are happy to see the club disappear into mid-table obscurity.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #73: Jul 21, 2013 06:41:55 pm
      Absolutely pathetic and these 'fans' are happy to see the club disappear into mid-table obscurity.

Hilarious mate, expect it over on Rawk as you have to toe the FSG/Rodgers party line over there as the mods are that far up John Henry's arse its hard to figure out where he starts and they end, all because he had a cuppa with them in the days following the take over, but here ?

Some of us were lucky enough to grow up on 'Liverpool exists to win trophies' and boy did we F***ing win them.

Our current Mantra and for the not so fortunate ones is 'Liverpool exists to be in the black'
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #74: Jul 21, 2013 06:49:22 pm
      it really is difficult to know what is going on and even more difficult to compare this club to just 5 years ago maybe there is a common link.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #75: Jul 21, 2013 06:50:13 pm
      Coaches/Managers are in a predicament when speaking to the press about the club. They don't want to give too much away but they have to be as honest as they can because they know the supporters will disect every word.

For this reason I usually assume that the boss is taking a bit of license when speaking to the press and I try to take things with a grain of salt. While it was nice to think that Reina and Mignolet were going to be competiting....I don't know that I ever believed it. But I didn't hold it against Brendan that he was lying to ME personally. I assumed he didn't want to give too much away to the press as it could affect future dealings with Reina.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #76: Jul 21, 2013 06:55:15 pm
       I'm not sure any fans are "happy to see the club slip into mid table obscurity" lads to be honest. My guess is that some fans, like myself, simply cannot believe that the owners expect the manager to lift us up the table while not spending any money whatsoever, and that there will be money spent before the end of the window. We might be wrong of course us "optimistics", but then again we might be right. Similarly, the guys on here (of which there are huge numbers) who think that the end of our footballing world is nigh might be right or wrong as well. Now I don't begrudge anyones right to have an opinion, even the ones who are perpetually negative about everything, but similarly I'm entitled to hold mine without being accused of being happy to see us fail.

If at the end of the window we have let Reina and Suarez go without signing replacements which are comparable, then I vote we get a campaign up to get rid of the ownership. My guess is though that either we will have signed players and spent big money if those two go, or if we don't and don't do well people will simply blame the manager. It'll all be "Rodgers" fault, just like it was all Rodgers fault last season when we had the smallest and most inexperienced squad in living memory.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #77: Jul 21, 2013 07:03:05 pm
      I don't know why so many fans are making such a brou-ha ha about this. Reina has been completely inconsistent for the last two seasons. Perhaps we could have kept him for 'competition' if we hadn't blown so much money on players only worth £5million at best.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #78: Jul 21, 2013 07:04:13 pm
      I don't know why so many fans are making such a brou-ha ha about this. Reina has been completely inconsistent for the last two seasons. Perhaps we could have kept him for 'competition' if we hadn't blown so much money on players only worth £5million at best.

Cause we aren't really saving that much money and Brad Jones is now our backup...so even taking away sentimental reasons, it wasn't a very sound decision when looking at strengthening the team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #79: Jul 21, 2013 07:08:20 pm
      I don't think anyone has a right to criticise fellow supporters for being concerned about the financial state of the club. Hicks and Gillett is still fresh in the memory of most fans. No point in trawling up the 'us older fans know better' because we all want the best for Liverpool Football Club regardless of age or nationality. Some fans may be irritable at times but I can bet no football fan of this club adheres to a motto protecting our financial interests over the football. A bit of a common sense has been lacking not just from the football club over this deal but from the fans overreaction.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #80: Jul 21, 2013 07:08:36 pm
      Cause we aren't really saving that much money and Brad Jones is now our backup...so even taking away sentimental reasons, it wasn't a very sound decision when looking at strengthening the team.
      Exactly mate. Was it really worth spending 9million on a keeper who at best, is marginally better than Reina? (IMO he isn't in Reina's league and we're losing a big player here) just for the sake of getting Pepe off the wage bill?

As for the loan 'maintaining his value' argument, well the whole world and his dog knows we want to get rid of him now, who is honestly going to pay market value for him? We'll sell him for 5mill, if that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #81: Jul 21, 2013 07:16:58 pm
      Exactly mate. Was it really worth spending 9million on a keeper who at best, is marginally better than Reina? (IMO he isn't in Reina's league and we're losing a big player here) just for the sake of getting Pepe off the wage bill?

As for the loan 'maintaining his value' argument, well the whole world and his dog knows we want to get rid of him now, who is honestly going to pay market value for him? We'll sell him for 5mill, if that.

I actually think Mignolet may very well turn out being a very good keeper, maybe as good or better than Pepe at some point...but that still doesn't make it ok to push Reina out.

The only way that we get a decent value for Reina is if Napoli decide they want to keep him and we bend them over for the transfer fee.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #82: Jul 21, 2013 07:30:54 pm
      Nah mate, FSG fanboys seem to want to over-look that in a desperate attempt to justify this as being a 'football' decision.

I'm a Liverpool fan boy, just one that has a different opinion to you.  So lay off the shitty insults and incorrect insults and discuss the points, not your erroneous POV.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #83: Jul 21, 2013 07:56:19 pm
      I actually think Mignolet may very well turn out being a very good keeper, maybe as good or better than Pepe at some point...but that still doesn't make it ok to push Reina out.

The only way that we get a decent value for Reina is if Napoli decide they want to keep him and we bend them over for the transfer fee.

Could Pepe make a defiant statement (aka Downing) or does Pepe know that this was his last year irregardless and wants to be in CL to impress Barca?

When this all washes over we might find out that Pepe wanted to go and that is why Mignloet was brought in for to begin with.

As many have speculated perhaps when move did not materialize now we end up with two keepers.

I don't think we should loan him, but selling him is not going to happen (unless Barca is ready to pay now) as in the end he wants Barca and not Napoli.

There are a lot of moving pieces here, but I don't think any of this happens unless Pepe was ready to go in the first place, for all we know he requested to go with Rafa for a year and the club is respecting his wishes after 8 years of solid service. 

This reminds me a bit of when Bellers left and people said we were kicking him out the door because he was old and expensive; come to find out his life was crumbling around him and he asked to leave and the club treated him with respect and granted his wish.

Not everything is black/white  evil/good
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #84: Jul 21, 2013 08:01:25 pm
      I'm a Liverpool fan boy, just one that has a different opinion to you.  So lay off the shitty insults and incorrect insults and discuss the points, not your erroneous POV.
      Well your opinion is quite clearly 'erroneous' if you disagree with me about this being a purely financial decision, considering Brendan himself has said the same thing.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #85: Jul 21, 2013 08:04:04 pm
      Well your opinion is quite clearly 'erroneous' if you disagree with me about this being a purely financial decision, considering Brendan himself has said the same thing.

Brendan has already be labeled a liar by many so, perhaps he is not telling the whole truth in regards to the decision and is protecting Pepe from criticism  :confused-smiley-013:
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #86: Jul 21, 2013 08:22:27 pm
      Reading his latest comments it appears he knew for a few months that this would happen, or at least knew about the financial situation ........ so why come out with the line about competition for places?

On that basis, it looks like he has deceived us.  Not a good sign.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #87: Jul 21, 2013 08:24:11 pm
      It's all planned. How did BR convince Simon to sign for us in the first place? Conspiracy theory.

WHO ? WHERE ?  WHAT ?  Theyre behind you !  Lovin IT !

The Irony is when Rodgers sealed  3 envelopes with three names in that would let us down, he didn't realise they contained his name, John Henry's and Tom Werners.

Fergies trick from HIS autobiography backfiring now on him ...

"Financially it was something that we needed to look at," said Rodgers. "That would be the reason (to move Reina) as you wouldn't move on a top goalkeeper. It (the situation) reared its head over the last couple of months and I had to prepare by bringing in another keeper.

"Pepe is a good guy. I've a lot of time for him, and he understands what I want to do totally.

There you go again Brendan.
      Its either the truth .... its you as you say ..... or your ego is getting in the way of your bullshit.

I would love to know what was in that 190 page dossier you gave to FSG to get the job.
      Did your accountant do his bit for you as well ?

Why should we have bought a fourth goalkeeper if it hadnt already been arranged for Pepe to go?

On the other Pepe....Italy is nice this time of year with the CL two months off .....so who really  is zoomin who ?
      Jump and ship ?

We'll never know behind the bullshit smoke and mirrors.

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013 08:31:14 pm by eurored »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #88: Jul 21, 2013 08:29:13 pm
      Brendan has already be labeled a liar by many so, perhaps he is not telling the whole truth in regards to the decision and is protecting Pepe from criticism  :confused-smiley-013:

There is nothing to protect Pepe from. No one was really going to go batshit crazy at Pepe over this deal, if he was going to get sh*t it would been after the comments he made about Barca, but most fans know of the ties he has to Barcelona, so he won't get the Torres-type sh*t.

As for Rodgers, it's either as Rafa would put it "he likes to talk" and is saying stuff he thinks we want to hear, he thinks we're F***ing daft or if the "financial reasons" quote is true maybe he's having his Rafa in Athens moment and trying to say in not too many barbed words that it's the moneymen making decisions, not the manager/coaches etc.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #89: Jul 21, 2013 08:31:43 pm
      Well it would be odd of him to protect Pepe from criticism through saying something that reflects badly on him and the owners. If Pepe is on his way, then from Brendans perspective, Pepe would of made the perfect fall guy. But if he were to lie about that (e.g. He put the blame on Pepe), then I'm absolutely certain Pepe would dispute that and maybe lift the lid on what's really going on at Anfield.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #90: Jul 21, 2013 08:32:26 pm
      Well this has clearly undermined Rodgers' in the eyes of many. I tend to agree with AZ's last two posts above; there's grey areas to this whole situation that we on the outside just have no idea about. I think it is quite likely Rodgers, Simon and Pepe knew all along that this was the most probable scenario, and to be honest, if; a) Rodgers' thinks Reina has been inconsistent (fair) recently and wants a new keeper in now, knowing also that Pepe wants a eventual move to Barca, b) Pepe, as mentioned, wants a move anyway, and also to work with Rafa and Valero again, in World Cup year and finally c) Mignolet also wants plenty of game time to prove himself in WC year, then isn't this scenario the best for all parties? Put aside the comments in the press, which I often try not to read into because they are made.. to the press.... If Reina is eventually to leave, is it not better we have our replacement in now, settled?

Yes, it's a money saving exercise this season. If we had more money to spend on wages, maybe we could keep both. But in WC year would they both want another class keeper to compete with?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #91: Jul 21, 2013 08:36:53 pm
      I actually do think Brendan, as the manager, wanted and assumed that Reina and Mignolet were to go head to head for a year before Pepe left. This would probably have been with Mignolet at Number 2 having to come and take Pepe's Number 1 spot from him and show that he could be our Number 1 next season whilst learning from Reina in the meantime.

The interviews given by Rodgers and information given to Mignolet and Reina at the time judging by their subsequent interviews makes it seem a bit far fetched that the gaffer would go so public with  bullshit whilst knowing he would be outed as a liar so soon after. Doesn't make sense.

Seems to me the loan offer has come in and we've found it so very difficult, once again, to turn down the chance to save a few quid to the detriment of the squad's strength in depth.

Speculation I know, but for me at this point I don't think he did deceive anybody but was probably made to look like a dick by the powers that be (again).

Quick Reply