Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Net spending: What is the FSG contribution?

Read 9875 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Net spending: What is the FSG contribution?
      Reply #23: Jul 30, 2013 07:44:45 pm
      Not going to lie, I've stuck up for FSG on countless occasions. Unlike some, I don't think they are out to make a quick penny. However, I do believe they are slightly clueless when it comes down to running a Professional Football Club. Baseball is a completely different project. American sports teams are franchises and are very much kept within one nation. Football (or soccer ;) ) is a national game and it is undoubtedly harder to understand than American based sports.

However, they should have known what they were getting themselves in to. The first seasons spending was horrific. Bar the signing of Suarez, you have to look at the fees paid for players and wonder what on earth they were doing. I don't think they were to blame completely, as a large portion of the blame has to be given to Comolli.

I credit FSG on a few things. They've cut the wage bill and saved us from near extinction. After the first season, they realised things had to change and trimmed squad players on massively high wages. They appointed a man I have confidence in, Brendan Rodgers. They also have spent within their means. I don't think they have a lot of money but have spent as much as they can provide.

If we as a club are to move on, and this is the sad reality, we need quality players. They need to place trust in the man in charge to bring in quality players for high fees. I don't mean going out and spending inflated prices, all within reason. But, take the likes of Papadopoulos at £15m etc etc. This deals could mean the difference between finishing in the top 4 or outside it.
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #24: Jul 30, 2013 08:12:09 pm
      We didn't make a profit though did we?

Profit can be manipulated to make a position look better / worse, that is why the say cash is king!

If you look at previous accounts, FSG have taken big baths by writing off stadium development costs (which never cost them a penny), making our position look artificially worse than a 'normalised level'.

To be fair I understand why they did this, as it's better to get the 'bad news' out of the way before FFP kicks in, but it still suited their cause of making everyone think we are broke.

The acid test will be in this years accounts, with no one off write offs. My suspicion is that our cash generation over the year will look pretty healthy!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #25: Jul 30, 2013 08:44:44 pm
      Don't take this personally, GongFather but I don't see the value in having yet another thread to essentially discuss the owners, their spending (or lack of) and FFP. We'll just end up going over the same sh*t in another thread  :-\
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Jul 30, 2013 08:54:25 pm
      My hope is that when Fenway realise that FFP is just talk, they will sell the club.

All that is happening is that clubs in this country and throughout Europe are leaping above us, whilst we wait and see if UEFA have a backbone and implement it.

They don't and they won't.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Jul 30, 2013 09:02:04 pm
      £52m TV money  £15m standard Chartered money there's £75m, remove half for running costs.

£32.5m for transfers.

£2m net spend at present.

C'mon John cough up were not all Stupid.

At present, you're not even reinvesting what the club generates.

Are you another to add to the bullshit list.

Time will tell.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #28: Jul 30, 2013 09:35:45 pm
      They don't need to and therefore don't want to invest heavily to reach the next level in terms of revenue/value that the champions league would bring as the risk is too high and the reward too small.

The fear is that now we're on this merry go round of hedge funds, PE firms and the like, unless we get very lucky we'll just keep going round in various financial firm's 5 year plans.

Excellent summary.

Especially about the risk/reward of going for the CL.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #29: Jul 30, 2013 10:36:00 pm
      Ok, hands up i can't work this previous quotes thingy but i think huyton red picked up on what i was coming at in that we are being as a plc and with cold and calculated decisions that do not effectivly mean the best outcome for them in spending 100 mill and winning everything...

And some help with the quotes would be appreciated for a old fart newbie...

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Jul 30, 2013 10:42:06 pm
      just click quote ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #31: Jul 30, 2013 10:45:31 pm
      Ok, hands up i can't work this previous quotes thingy but i think huyton red picked up on what i was coming at in that we are being as a plc and with cold and calculated decisions that do not effectivly mean the best outcome for them in spending 100 mill and winning everything...

What redblood said, the quote (selected) bit top right just above the text.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #32: Jul 30, 2013 10:45:46 pm

Err, just click on the QUOTE text within the boarders of the text you wish to quote.

With all the extra money coming in, I still want to know why the debt went up last year.

I'm not that bothered about the net spend as I have more important things to concern myself about, and I'm pretty laid back about things at LFC, but this just does not add up. May be at he next AGM, and published accounts we will have made a huge profit, if not then they need to show where all the money has/is going too.

H&G are well out if the equation now, so to quote Jerry, Maguire, "Show me the money".
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #33: Jul 30, 2013 10:46:12 pm

The acid test will be in this years accounts, with no one off write offs. My suspicion is that our cash generation over the year will look pretty healthy!
      [/quote]

Ahh, figured this quotes thing out. Having spent many years within large organisations i can guarantee you accounts show what the owners/directors want you to belive.

This is why i am sceptical...

On another note, my faith in brendan has doubled since his appointment
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Jul 30, 2013 11:34:18 pm
      On another note, my faith in brendan has doubled since his appointment

So  had mine until he started telling porky pies to fans.

Now I see him as a liar or FSG's  puppet, don't know which is worse.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #35: Jul 31, 2013 12:06:21 am
      £52m TV money  £15m standard Chartered money there's £75m, remove half for running costs.

£32.5m for transfers.

£2m net spend at present.

C'mon John cough up were not all Stupid.

At present, you're not even reinvesting what the club generates.

Are you another to add to the bullshit list.

Time will tell.

How much is being set aside for the remodel Daz?  Surely we are not going to get bankrolled 100% from a naming rights partner?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Jul 31, 2013 12:08:50 am

How much is being set aside for the remodel Daz?  Surely we are not going to get bankrolled 100% from a naming rights partner?

No Idea AZ, but as you'll be more than aware i've missed out several other sponsorship deals, which would ultimately effect the figures.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #37: Jul 31, 2013 12:13:37 am
      No Idea AZ, but as you'll be more than aware i've missed out several other sponsorship deals, which would ultimately effect the figures.
      Merchandising money , warrior, Garuda and smaller sponsors like Stanley and Carlsberg again .It all adds up .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38: Jul 31, 2013 12:14:39 am

Commercial loan AZ you get a naming rights partner and secure the rest on finance, this mystery pot for the stadium is just another hole to hide money in for now.

I'd love to know what directors wages these guys are on, enough remodel mrs Henry a few times no doubt.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #39: Jul 31, 2013 12:16:52 am
      Merchandising money , warrior, Garuda and smaller sponsors like Stanley and Carlsberg again .It all adds up .

Could be, though I doubt Staney, Garuda and Carlsberg are giving 10's of millions.

Refurb is probably going to cost 175-225m, figure half of that will get covered by naming rights partner...leaves a lot of money left to either add debt or pay cash for.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #40: Jul 31, 2013 12:19:52 am
      Could be, though I doubt Staney, Garuda and Carlsberg are giving 10's of millions.
      Like I said , it all adds up , a million here 2 million there .There could be money from the EU as well to regenerate the area .
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #41: Jul 31, 2013 12:21:23 am
      Like I said , it all adds up , a million here 2 million there .

Maybe we are saving it to give to Fernando...who knows.

Quick Reply