Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Thank You Pepe YNWA.

Read 10697 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Thank You Pepe YNWA.
      Reply #69: Jul 27, 2013 03:17:53 pm
      On the plus side, his replacement is certainly an upgrade

Debatable to say the least.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #70: Jul 27, 2013 03:22:03 pm

At this moment in time Si not even up for debate.
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #71: Jul 27, 2013 03:26:51 pm

One has been way below par for a few seasons now, whilst the other played a huge part in saving his team from relegation with consistently good performances.

Sometimes you need to freshen things up and reshape the squad to move forward.

I'm confident we have signed a better keeper than Reina and it makes sense to offload him.

It's surprising that so many people are labelling him 'World Class' when he is clearly nowhere near that level.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #72: Jul 27, 2013 03:52:20 pm
      One has been way below par for a few seasons now, whilst the other played a huge part in saving his team from relegation with consistently good performances.

Sometimes you need to freshen things up and reshape the squad to move forward.

I'm confident we have signed a better keeper than Reina and it makes sense to offload him.

It's surprising that so many people are labelling him 'World Class' when he is clearly nowhere near that level.

There'd be no shortage of suitors if he was listed.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #73: Jul 27, 2013 04:00:41 pm

He kind of was and their was a shortage Stuey, though much like when when we couldn't shift Alonso for £12m.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #74: Jul 27, 2013 04:04:49 pm

Again debatable.
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #75: Jul 27, 2013 05:55:48 pm

There is a shortage of suitors though....hence why he is now on loan for a season at Napoli.

A goalkeeper can't be labelled 'World Class' when his shots faced to saves ratio is something like 45%.

Over the last couple of seasons teams have beaten us and not needed more than a few shots on target to do so.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #76: Jul 27, 2013 06:05:13 pm
      There is a shortage of suitors though....hence why he is now on loan for a season at Napoli.

A goalkeeper can't be labelled 'World Class' when his shots faced to saves ratio is something like 45%.

Over the last couple of seasons teams have beaten us and not needed more than a few shots on target to do so.

We can't comment on the potential suitors as it would just be guess work.. There is a train of thought about why the loan is and he hasn't been sold.

However on your last point, top teams often don't have many chances against them and that will be the test Mignolet faces, can he still be sharp when he is sat watching the game for the vast majority of it and then is called upon.

And if we are being beaten with a few shots on target then our forwards have for plenty of questions to answer as well..

Win together

Lose together

Stick together
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #77: Jul 27, 2013 06:11:36 pm

Ahh, stats ;)

Any number of things could contribute to that stat. How about our defending? If we are defending badly, then we give away easier chances, so the keeper has less of a chance to make a save. Defend well, keep the oppo to long range shots, and you'll have a much better shot/save ratio. I'm not saying there is no value in that statistic, just saying that all stats have to be considered in the wider spectrum, even one that is supposedly reflective of a single player, like a keepers shots/saves ratio.

PD - on Mignolet and his need to concentrate, although it was only a pre-season, he did pull off a handy save to stop a long range effort having done very little before. He was certainly quick enough to react then. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #78: Jul 27, 2013 06:14:12 pm

Stats are great - my 12 yr old can quote them ad nauseum about any player you can think of because the internet is awash with them.

Unfortunately they don't tell you the whole picture and lavish reliance on them leads to the sort of baseless hyperbole that results in headlines like "...Leon Britton better passer than Xavi..." from 18 months back!

I sincerely hope Big Mig turns out to be special - cos that's a good 'un we've let walk away.
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #79: Jul 27, 2013 07:58:13 pm
      Stats are great - my 12 yr old can quote them ad nauseum about any player you can think of because the internet is awash with them.

Unfortunately they don't tell you the whole picture and lavish reliance on them leads to the sort of baseless hyperbole that results in headlines like "...Leon Britton better passer than Xavi..." from 18 months back!

I sincerely hope Big Mig turns out to be special - cos that's a good 'un we've let walk away.

In fairness....those stats were backed up with what we saw last season though weren't they?

How many times did we concede against teams who barely created anything against us?

It was happening almost every week.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #80: Jul 27, 2013 10:20:09 pm
      In fairness....those stats were backed up with what we saw last season though weren't they?

How many times did we concede against teams who barely created anything against us?

It was happening almost every week.

Personally I was still more concerned by how easily we allowed possession in those areas than the goalie.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #81: Jul 29, 2013 09:50:02 am
      We said thanks now it's his turn. Read it.

You will always be our Pepe. YNWA

Goodbye letter for Liverpool’s fans: “Thanks for everything, I will see you soon”

It is a strange feeling for me to think that next season I will not be a Liverpool player. For the past eight years, that is all I have known. The club, the staff, the city, the people and the supporters have played a massive part in my life. Liverpool is special in a way that only those who are lucky enough to experience the club close up can understand. It has given me memories that will live with me forever and friendships that will last just as long.
      But more than anything else, it has given me an understanding of what it is like to play for the most wonderful English club. I may not have won as many trophies and medals as I would have liked since joining in 2005 but the experiences I have been a part of are as important as any silverware. I now understand how supporters can lift a team and inspire them to do special things. I appreciate that there is something unique about Anfield and the atmosphere it creates. I believe that anything is possible no matter what the situation is because at Liverpool there is no such thing as a lost cause. And I have been humbled by the fight for justice for the 96 which showed me that the Liverpool people will always fight for what they believe in.
      I know that I have been blessed to be part of a Club like that and I hope that in return I have always given my best and represented Liverpool in the right way. There have been good times and bad times but no matter what the situation has been I hope that my passion has been clear. I have been asked what my favourite Liverpool moment was and if I had to pick one it wouldn’t be a save or winning a trophy. It would be my celebration against Manchester United when David Ngog scored a late goal. That is probably the quickest I have ever run in my life! It shows what playing for Liverpool meant to me and also that there was nothing better than winning a big game at Anfield. I used to look at the Kop when we scored those kind of goals in big games and I would be jealous of the supporters going crazy. If the closest I will get to that is running the length of the pitch and jumping on my team mates backs then that will do for me.
      Obviously, I won’t be able to do that next season but I hope that the supporters and my team mates will be able to enjoy many more moments like that. They deserve the best of times and it would give me so much pleasure to see Liverpool back where they belong, challenging for trophies and getting back into the top four. That was where the club was when I first arrived and although I am leaving a different club, one with new owners, a new manager, new players and new challenges, I honestly believe that Liverpool can reach those levels again.
      I am disappointed that I will not be part of that and although it was not my decision to leave I will accept it just like I have always accepted any decision that Liverpool have taken for me. They signed me, picked me, gave me some of the best experiences of my life and looked after me. If they feel that the best thing for me and for them is for me to go on loan to Napoli for a season then so be it. Napoli is a new challenge for me and I know that the fans are just as passionate about their team as the Liverpool fans, so I am really looking forward to playing for them this season and I will give my all.
      But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football. A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made. I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home. When it didn’t come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club´s interests to send me to Napoli instead.
      None of this will change my feelings for the club or the people in any way and now I have to look forward to a new challenge with Rafa Benitez, who I consider to be the best manager I have worked with, and I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another. Napoli remind me in many ways of the Liverpool I found in 2005, in all the affection they have shown me on my arrival, in having an ambitious project, even in coinciding and working with Benitez again…This memory which in part unites me with you, makes me happy and feel very motivated to begin this new project.
      This is my chance to say thank you to everyone for everything that you have given to me and to my family. My children consider Liverpool to be their home and hopefully their love for the city and also for the club will only grow while we are away. I would have liked to have been able to say goodbye in a different way but because of the way the move came about this was not possible.
      Maybe in the near future I can do it properly so that I can show my appreciation to you but all I would ask now is that you keep on inspiring the manager and the players just like you always have done and help Liverpool to become the club that you deserve once again. I would like nothing better than to come back at the end of my year away and for Liverpool to be back where they belong.
      Thank you for everything. Good luck. I will see you soon.
      Pepe Reina.

http://pepereina25.com/en/2013/07/29/carta-de-despedida-para-los-aficionados-del-liverpool-gracias-por-todo-os-vere-pronto/
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #82: Jul 29, 2013 09:52:17 am
      But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football.

What a bunch of clowns we have running our club.

Don't worry, some numpty will come in in a few seconds and say "just trust them, they know what they're doing!"

Reina gave more to Liverpool than Rodgers and Ayre could ever do, and yet they push him out the back door like that.

Unbelievable.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #83: Jul 29, 2013 10:06:09 am
      I am disappointed that I will not be part of that and although it was not my decision to leave I will accept it just like I have always accepted any decision that Liverpool have taken for me. They signed me, picked me, gave me some of the best experiences of my life and looked after me. If they feel that the best thing for me and for them is for me to go on loan to Napoli for a season then so be it. Napoli is a new challenge for me and I know that the fans are just as passionate about their team as the Liverpool fans, so I am really looking forward to playing for them this season and I will give my all.
      But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football. A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made. I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home. When it didn’t come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club´s interests to send me to Napoli instead.

READ THAT AND REALISE THE TRUTH.

Sickening.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #84: Jul 29, 2013 10:11:12 am
      All the best Pepe...you've been a loyal servant..just a pity as he says, that he couldn't say an official goodbye as such although his press release is cool enough for me...
      Lets just hope Mingo thinks ahead and wears a cap when playing against the sunshine at the Anny road end...something Pepe didn't do and cost us points in a number of games..thats my only beef !!..Clemo , Grobs, even catwalk boy David James wore one down that end...
      I'll be keeping an eye on his progress in Italy..
      YNWA...
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #85: Jul 29, 2013 10:27:17 am
      "FCUKING DISGRACE". Pepe was akin to us having a part of our much missed"boot room" still in the spirit of Anfield. To be treated like is awful.  Any respect or patience with FSG is well and truly gone.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #86: Jul 29, 2013 10:34:09 am
      Tears welled up in me just reading that. Going to miss you Pepe, what the F**k is this Club coming too? The man said he wanted to fight for his place but they shipped him out without even telling him. Makes me feel sick inside.

Good Luck in your future Pepe and would love to see you back gracing the Anfield turf, one day. Maybe when and if Rafa comes back, he'll bring you back with him.

YNWA
      halofreak11789
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #87: Jul 29, 2013 10:44:03 am
      Gonna miss Pepe myself, Im just happy that I can say I saw him play at Anfield. LEGEND, always will be.
      Cant believe the way the club loaned him out, but thats football nowadays.

That being said, I think we should've kept him and let him and Mignolet compete for the spot.

Always will be in our hearts Pepe. YNWA!!

leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #88: Jul 29, 2013 10:49:06 am
      If Reina is good enough for Barca and Napoli then why isnt he good enough for us??

Would either of those teams take mignolet over Reina??

Would any of the top 4 replace their keepers with mignolet??

F**k FSG
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #89: Jul 29, 2013 10:51:55 am
      If Reina is good enough for Barca and Napoli then why isnt he good enough for us??

Would either of those teams take mignolet over Reina??

Would any of the top 4 replace their keepers with mignolet??

F**k FSG

Well we'll see. We weren't exactly knocked over in the rush for Pepes signature by teams trying to tempt us once we'd made a bid for Mignolet, so I'm not as sure as you. I'm all for wishing Pepe all the best and thanking him for his services, but I'm also well up for giving our young keeper a chance. So far he looks the dogs bollocks, so maybe that's why I'm not as emotional as some.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #90: Jul 29, 2013 11:18:54 am

Well we'll see. We weren't exactly knocked over in the rush for Pepes signature by teams trying to tempt us once we'd made a bid for Mignolet, so I'm not as sure as you. I'm all for wishing Pepe all the best and thanking him for his services, but I'm also well up for giving our young keeper a chance. So far he looks the dogs bollocks, so maybe that's why I'm not as emotional as some.

Cos as far as I can see, he said he only wanted to go to Barca, Valdes decides to stay the extra season and as a concession Pepe agrees to go on loan to Napoli because Rafa is in charge, probably hoping Barca come back in for him next season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!

Quick Reply