Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

What would you deem as satisfactory progress come the end of the 2013/14 Season?

Read 8762 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4849 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: What would you deem as satisfactory progress come the end of the 2013/14 Season?
      Reply #23: Jul 27, 2013 06:51:26 pm
      In my opinion, if you deem anything less than 4th spot as satisfactory progress at this stage of FSG's ownership then they have done an excellent job of dumbing down your expectations.

They could go a long way towards showing serious intent this year by going out and buying some proper talent for proper money because that's what it takes now amongst other things.

Money!

As it stands I think we have about £2 million net spend. Times knocking on isn't it? If the right things are not done I fear that we could go backwards.

We should be going in all guns blazing at this window and not worrying about City (new manager), Chelsea (new manager), Man Utd (new manager) but aiming to turn draws into wins whilst improving our points tally against the Arsenals, Spurs, Evertons, Citys, Utds and Chelseas by kicking on in all departments.

Which takes money.

So far I've only seen squad players getting bought for buttons although the chase for the Armenian was encouraging at least.

FSG need to get their hands in their pockets for us to move forward otherwise I really feel we will stagnate. Anything less than effort from the owners (net) in this window and an assault on that top four is not satisfactory at this stage and you shouldn't let anybody have you believe otherwise.

We are Liverpool, not Aston Villa.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Re: What would you deem as satisfactory progress come the end of the 2013/14 Season?
      Reply #24: Jul 27, 2013 08:47:09 pm
      Just a top 4 for me. And with it, the ability to attract better players for the following season.
      1 OR 2 more decent signings this window, Striker and attacking centre mid field and top 4 will deffo be a reality. Must keep Suarez though.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #25: Jul 28, 2013 12:14:26 am
      I had no idea our net spend was only 2 million. That is a funking disgrace fsg why is this not being shouted about louder !!!!?
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #26: Jul 28, 2013 01:02:14 am
      lf we dont buy least two top players, stick with players we have and unhappy luis,then l say 6 but we get two top players in then could get 4
      Arshad 4pool
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -1 
      Reply #27: Jul 28, 2013 02:09:46 pm
      Nothing short of top 4
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #28: Jul 28, 2013 06:04:00 pm
      Top 4 will be difficult, but I think it is doable. However, I'd like to look at the 70 point mark as a goal. To me that would show signs of improvement. With such a young squad, I'll be sufficiently satisfied if we go deep in at least 1 domestic cup and finish with over 70 points because we will at least be in the conversation for a top 4 finish right to the end.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,475 posts | 2861 
      Reply #29: Jul 28, 2013 06:42:07 pm
      Top four and a trophy.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Jul 28, 2013 06:50:58 pm
      I'd like to look at the 70 point mark as a goal. To me that would show signs of improvement.

I'll go with that and whatever position it brings.

Living in real hope, of course, that we exceed it - with both Manc teams having a new manager, new players and (perhaps) new playing philosophy, there's a great chance for us to push on and make an impact (IMO). Obviously we will know better come the end of the window so I may revise my post.  8)
      mgeorge
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #31: Jul 28, 2013 07:02:11 pm
      I expect us to break into top 5.

But comparing the team finished 5th with ours,

Paulinho   Sandro
                 Holtby
      Chadli   Soldado?  Bale

Lucas   SG
            Allen
      Suarez? Sturridge Coutinho

>:(

6th would be realistic unless a massive injury crisis happens to any of the top 5 placed teams.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #32: Jul 28, 2013 07:24:58 pm
      The way things are 5th place would have to be seen to be progress. I think if we get the right players, 4th is achievable. Finishing lower than 6th would be a catastrophe and could see Brendan could be in trouble.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #33: Jul 28, 2013 07:59:23 pm
       I think having seen us play a couple of times already, it is obviously going to have a huge impact on us whether or not we keep Suarez. If by some miracle he wakes up tomorrow morning, looks at the half eaten burrito on the floor of his hotel room and thinks "feck it, I'm staying at Liverpool" then we really do have quite a decent squad. Danny Sturridge is developing apace, Coutinho and Gerrard are absolutely top drawer, while Toure Agger and Mignolet will give us something of a spine.

If on the other hand he leaves and we don't get in a credible replacement, then obviously we struggling, particularly if Sturridge gets injured.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #34: Jul 28, 2013 08:30:52 pm
      I shall make this very simple... 4th place - nothing more nothing less.

It will be very difficult, with City, Utd, Spurs, Chelsea & Arsenal all going for it alongside us - 6 into 4 simply dosent work. So we will need either one of two things to happen. We play very very well all season, with no 'blips' and maintain a strong performance or other teams have these 'blips' and allow us to prosper at their expense. The latter is more likley as this happens most seasons.

Can we acheive this, yes but will we..? I am not sure, but for me we have a better attack (forget Suarez) than we have had in a long time with Aspas, Sturridge, Ibe, Sterling, Couthino and Borini (awaits Federa's comments). I actually beleive we can do this, for the first time in a few seasons - and I am for once optimistic.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4849 
      Reply #35: Jul 28, 2013 10:09:23 pm
      I'll go with that and whatever position it brings.

Pointed out in another post that 70+ will more than likely get us top four so that would do nicely yeah.

Is everybody forgetting that four of the six sides that finished above us last season have got new managers going into the new season? That won't go smoothly for at least two of them (probably/hopefully).
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #36: Jul 28, 2013 10:14:12 pm

Is everybody forgetting that four of the six sides that finished above us last season have got new managers going into the new season? That won't go smoothly for at least two of them (probably/hopefully).

No were not forgetting we just remembered that 6 of the top 6 sides will strengthen their squads this season..
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #37: Jul 28, 2013 10:16:34 pm
      We should be aiming for 1st, after fsg tookover we should realistically be going for 4th, the current squad and situation at the club I'd say 7th would be a good return possibly 6th if someone else's has a lot injuries
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4849 
      Reply #38: Jul 28, 2013 10:17:14 pm
      No were not forgetting we just remembered that 6 of the top 6 sides will strengthen their squads this season..

Oh yeah, silly me.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #39: Jul 28, 2013 10:18:37 pm
      Top four no sweat : )

Ynwa
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #40: Jul 29, 2013 10:42:47 am
      I shall make this very simple... 4th place - nothing more nothing less.

So 1st, 2nd or 3rd wouldn't be "satisfactory"... Interesting.  :angel:

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #41: Jul 29, 2013 10:48:10 am
      70 points / Europa League place would be "satisfactory" for me though I wouldn't be thrilled.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #42: Jul 29, 2013 03:28:10 pm
      Utd will be weaker - a couple of dodgy results and it will be heaven
      City - have a new manager and a load of new players, they will get going around xmas
      Arsenal - have done f**k all and lets hope that continues
      Spurs - if they lose Bale will be much weaker
      Everton - undoubtably weaker without the stability Moyes bought
      Chelsea are the main danger I think

So we have an opportunity to get into the top 4 and if we keep Luis I think we have every chance, if we don't I seriously worry about us until the sheiks and Oligarchs f**k off or go to jail.

Not only that we finished last season very well.....
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013 03:49:43 pm by Tadders »
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #43: Jul 30, 2013 12:17:42 pm

plus we've got a good run to get us started. I think its surprising how much difference that early momentum makes - fingers crossed.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #44: Jul 31, 2013 12:13:48 am
      Imperative we get a good start otherwise you're forever playing catchup and we all know how hard that is !!!

I'm looking at a top 4/5 finish with a good run in both cups  :scarf:

Liking the fact that we won't be relying on goals just by Suarez (that's if he stays) with Coutinho, Aspas, Sterling and Gerrard all scoring so far in pre-season games, it's good to see goals coming from all parts of the pitch.

I'm always super optomistic before any season starts and this one is no exception.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY RED MEN
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Jul 31, 2013 12:18:13 am
      New owners.

Quick Reply