Trending Topics

1974 cup final 3rd goal

Read 5628 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,492 posts | 8676 
      Re: 1974 cup final 3rd goal
      Reply #23: Aug 16, 2013 10:43:03 pm
      Maybe its cos my first memories of cup finals are with Coleman.  Always preferred him and also Barry Davies for the European Cup Finals.  Just a personal thing.  Motty has been on five live for a few years during Monday evenings and has long questioned Liverpools right to be called a big club. I think even most non Liverpool supporters thought he was being idiotic. John Aldridge was on there one evening and basically just laughed at him for saying it.

As you say it probably is a personal thing, I'm a bit younger so grew up in the 80s listening to commentary of us winning things with either him or Brian Moore.

The one I was always reminded about being a gobs***e by my dad and uncles was Gerald "The Party's Over" Sinstadt.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #24: Aug 17, 2013 01:45:12 am
      Sat and watched the whole thing earlier loved every minute and it was a cracking game of football.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Aug 17, 2013 11:31:35 am
      I still recall the prematch headlines in the papers from Malcolm McDonald,he was going to tear us apart that day.He never got a lookin and was pathetic.Terry Mcdermott was in the newcastle team that day and so was Alan Kennedy,2 good players who went on to do well for us.

I remember we were very much the underdog for this final Billy.  As a 14 year old, watching my first Liverpool FA Cup final I can still remember how upset I was that the tv people didn't think we had a chance and how Malcolm McDonald was this big time charlie that was going to run us ragged. 

I was so happy with how we played that day, not just because we won but because I was like "yes! we showed them"  ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Aug 17, 2013 11:56:54 am
      I remember we were very much the underdog for this final Billy.  As a 14 year old, watching my first Liverpool FA Cup final I can still remember how upset I was that the tv people didn't think we had a chance and how Malcolm McDonald was this big time charlie that was going to run us ragged. 

I was so happy with how we played that day, not just because we won but because I was like "yes! we showed them"  ;D
      You are spot on Debs most of the so called experts had written us off,but our Liverpool lads made us proud that day.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #27: Aug 17, 2013 12:02:46 pm
      This is the year I first started supporting this great club and I've ABSOLUTELY no regrets.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Aug 17, 2013 12:40:48 pm
      You are spot on Debs most of the so called experts had written us off,but our Liverpool lads made us proud that day.

They didn't do it again for a long time Billy.  We went on to win everything in sight.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,717 posts | 7164 
      Reply #29: Aug 17, 2013 01:44:40 pm
      A cracker of a game and they go on about Barcelona tiki taka , my bollocks that's what you call tiki taka , sublime and that Shankly fella knew how to pick talent everything was perfect , defence midfield and attack , should have been 4-0 lindsays goal was on side .

I got goose bumps when I heard the 12th man sing SHANKLY, they were the days mad mad crazy days .Terry Mac was putting himself on the shop window for us to have a good look too, way better players too and only one substitute as well so it made it extremely physical , just imagine how good these fellas would be if they were playing now with all the training regime and equipment they'd make Messi look like a schoolboy .
      it was a thing of beauty
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,717 posts | 7164 
      Reply #30: Aug 17, 2013 01:46:52 pm
      I think Billy had already mentioned that every paper every pundit said Macdonald was going to destroy us but that team became the backbone of what is still the most successful team ever.It did not take 26 years to win 2 European Cups it took them 4 years after this game.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 18, 2013 08:23:04 am

The one I was always reminded about being a gobs***e by my dad and uncles was Gerald "The Party's Over" Sinstadt.

Gerard Sinstadt....thats the poachers position!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: Aug 18, 2013 08:25:24 pm
      I think Billy had already mentioned that every paper every pundit said Macdonald was going to destroy us but that team became the backbone of what is still the most successful team ever.It did not take 26 years to win 2 European Cups it took them 4 years after this game.
      If I remember correctly McDonald had actually said he would tear Liverpool apart,that was how he got the name of motormouth McDonald.If we ever needed an incentive to thrash Newcastle McDonald provided it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #33: Aug 19, 2013 12:42:00 am
      Remember that game so well. Think Mc Donald had two shots all match. One into row z and the second went for aa throw in. I made a mint in bets at work. Was the only red against all the geordies and the neutrals backing them.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #34: Aug 19, 2013 02:21:58 am
      hink he liked a bit too much sauce and women.
      Last I heard, he was happily married and settled doen. An ornamental stone arch in his garden collapsed and killed his 2 yr old daughter. Very very sad, and never heard anything about him since then.That would have been around 1980-82.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #35: Aug 19, 2013 04:04:33 am
      Sure!
      I love the history of the FA Cup.
      I once met a guy in São Paulo who worked for the Corinthians Casuals (the historical amateur club). He wrote some books about early amateur clubs such as the Wanderers F.C. and C. Casuals. After we spoke for a while, he was so surprised to find a Brazilian who knew a bit about the early history of the English game that he even gave me a copy of one of his books on the Wanderers.
      It's funny to think that an amateur club that ceased to exist over 100 years ago is still among the biggest winners of the FA Cup with 5 titles :D

Also, reading Sir Stanley Matthews' autobiography one can get a clear picture of just how important winning the FA Cup was back then. He was the main star of English football and still, it meant the world for him to win the FA Cup in 1953 - the famous "Stanley Matthews final". Many players built their reputation (or destroyed them) based on performances in the final, which was for a while the only nationally televised match of the season, from what I recall.

Obviously with the arrival of European competitions and the importance they have gained these days, national cups are not as important as they used to be, but no matter what, I'll always love the FA Cup.  :gt-happyup:

Have to say Diego that your knowledge of the English game is way more than just admirable. Rather than spout utter drivel you seem articulate with your answers, and this is whilst being a Jonny Foreigner. Other posters (sometimes maybe even myself) could take a leaf out of your book and research our great club and find out what makes LFC so so special.i know the game as a whole has changed but simplistically it's still 11 vs 11 kicking around a bag of wind.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,717 posts | 7164 
      Reply #36: Aug 19, 2013 12:15:46 pm
      Last I heard, he was happily married and settled doen. An ornamental stone arch in his garden collapsed and killed his 2 yr old daughter. Very very sad, and never heard anything about him since then.That would have been around 1980-82.
      think that was Chris Lawlers daughter

Quick Reply