Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)

Read 66007 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #69: Aug 01, 2013 09:59:07 pm
      Atlético rebuff claims of Liverpool bid for Diego Costa

Several sources have reported that Liverpool have put in a 25 M euro offer for the Brazilian, AS has learned from the club that the claims are false.

http://as.com/diarioas/2013/08/01/english/1375389230_784721.html

Atlético de Madrid have denied reports that they have received an offer for centre-forward Diego Costa from Liverpool. The capital club told AS on Thursday evening that they have not received any offers, from Liverpool or any other club for the Brazilian. Atlético affirmed that there is zero possibility that Diego Costa will abandon the Vicente Calderón this summer or even next year.

In England, several newspapers have claimed that Liverpool have submitted an offer of 21.8 million pounds (25 million euros) to lure Diego Costa to Anfield - presumably as a direct replacement for Luis SuĂĄrez.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #70: Aug 01, 2013 10:04:13 pm
      Anyone seen him play?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #71: Aug 01, 2013 10:09:41 pm
      Echo said that they bidded.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,218 posts | 1646 
      Reply #72: Aug 01, 2013 10:17:01 pm
      Never seen/heard of him but he sounds like a headtheball, so I like him already! These signings of a aspas, toure and now the interest in this fella do seem to indicate that Brendan has identified our mentality as a weakness. Fingers crossed.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #73: Aug 01, 2013 10:18:13 pm
      We are not really in for him.It was a setup to do Levy's head in that whether their move for Soldado is the right one or should they abandon him and go for Costa. Well played LFC!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #74: Aug 01, 2013 10:26:55 pm
      You have got to be kidding me:

http://youtu.be/Mxr1gzcrURU

Anyway, he looks decent but could he do it on a cold December night at the Britannia Stadium?

;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #75: Aug 01, 2013 10:33:34 pm
      You have got to be kidding me:

http://youtu.be/Mxr1gzcrURU

Anyway, he looks decent but could he do it on a cold December night at the Britannia Stadium?

;)

Wow that was the worst song I have ever heard in my life.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 01, 2013 10:34:44 pm
      Shows how clueless all the so called ITK are on twitter. Not a word was mentioned about this until the bid went in.

As for Costa, I watched him a few times last season and he will work perfectly with Suarez if he decides to stay. We won't be getting bullied about by anyone, thats for sure.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #77: Aug 01, 2013 10:36:49 pm
      Shows how clueless all the so called ITK are on twitter. Not a word was mentioned about this until the bid went in.

As for Costa, I watched him a few times last season and he will work perfectly with Suarez if he decides to stay. We won't be getting bullied about by anyone, thats for sure.

Interesting mate. You seem pretty confident that he would be good enough. Would that be correct?

I worry that it is an excessive amount of money. Maybe I am not moving with the times but to me that's the kind of money you spend on a well known quality player. Up until this evening, I knew nothing about him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Aug 01, 2013 10:39:41 pm
      If it was to come off and he proves to be a mistake at least we'd be able to think about what could have been if Jovetic works out for City seeing as they are basically the same price and Jovetic should have been ours years ago!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #79: Aug 01, 2013 10:51:06 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #80: Aug 01, 2013 10:52:56 pm
      If Suarez stays and this guy comes in then it will be a Latino Mafia up front.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #81: Aug 01, 2013 10:56:15 pm
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #82: Aug 01, 2013 10:59:51 pm
      Did he really fling snot on him?

F**k me, this lad is going to be bang for your buck.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #83: Aug 01, 2013 11:13:22 pm
      Tony Barrett tweeted a link to an article by Sid Lowe on Costa from a few months back.

Diego Costa says that he never takes his work home with him. Which is probably a good thing. If he did, the Atlético Madrid striker might walk through the door, goad the dog with a stick, surreptitiously elbow his wife out of the way on the stairs, shrug his shoulders innocently as she lay in a crumpled heap at the bottom and whisper insults to his children, look the other way and whistle when they burst into tears. He might stroll into the living room and dramatically collapse on the floor, roll around the rug holding his head and appeal for a penalty. He might even get it too.

Yes, Costa is one of La Liga's finest wind-up merchants. Plenty of people don't much like what he does yet they can't help but admit that he's very good at it. If other teams' fans hate him, his fans love him – a little guiltily, perhaps, but still – and even those who hate him sometimes can't help a sneaky smile. There is, after all, something a bit comic about it, something a bit cartoon bad guy. His is a dangerous game but it can be a pretty successful one too. And Sunday night summed it up perfectly. "Dr Jekyll and Mr Costa" Marca's headline called him.

They'd been waiting for him, cosh in hand – and on Sunday night Real Betis took revenge. Nasty, vicious, dirty revenge. On Sunday night Costa was not the bad boy; they were. He was the victim. But no one seemed to feel sorry for him and, when the final whistle went, he was also the victor. It's Costa on the cover of the newspaper, arms out celebrating, a huge grin on his face. When the final whistle went on the weekend's final game he grabbed hold of the ball and booted it into orbit, shouting in delight. In Monday morning's papers he claims one of AS's weekend awards. Gold for Lucas Alcaraz, the debutant Granada coach who defeated Real Madrid; Frankincense for VĂ­ctor ValdĂ©s, who rescued Barcelona against Valencia and Myrrh for Costa. Whatever Myrrh actually is.

The reason was simple: his goal had given Atlético Madrid a 1-0 win, securing their 20th consecutive victory at the Vicente Calderón and his entrance had changed the game. It had seen Atlético close the gap on Barcelona and open the gap on Real Madrid, leaving them wondering if challenging for the title is not so impossible after all. "I'm pleased about the victory," Costa said. As for all that other stuff, he wasn't budging. Three times they asked him. Three, four, five times, in fact. And he just smiled. "What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch," he said.

What happened on the pitch was not much really. Not until he came on after an hour. It was Atlético Madrid versus Real Betis and it was 0-0. It was not going to stay that way for long. A storm broke. It was about to become a different game entirely, whichever way you looked at it. As one match reporter put it: "Suddenly, the piped music of chiropodists' waiting room became a heavy metal gig." El País called him "The Revolutionary". And El Mundo insisted: "Diego Costa came on and the Calderón quaked 
 Atlético Madrid quaked and Betis quaked. The referee quaked, and so did Diego Simeone and Pep Mel and the presidents and the kit men and the ball boys. The fans quaked and the M30 motorway that passes by and the trees and even the Puerta de Toledo."

It took less than five minutes for Costa to score the opening goal and not very much longer to plant a full set of studs on Rubén Pérez's shin. It was a miracle he didn't do any damage. Things were heating up.

They had been heating up for a while. The last time these two teams faced each other was just over a week ago in the Copa del Rey. The Betis centre-back Antonio Amaya gifted Costa the goal, heading past his own goalkeeper and leaving the Brazilian with an open goal. When they got down into the tunnel Costa rubbed it in. "He was very grateful," Amaya said afterwards. "He was shouting and thanking me for the gift. If my team-mates had not held me back, I would have killed him. That shows what kind of person he is: he has no heart and no shame."

Now Amaya and his team-mates were waiting to give him a taste of his own medicine. Live by the sword, die by the sword. "You knew that they would go for him ever since [the game in] Seville," the Atlético centre-back Diego Godín said. The challenge on Pérez only made that even more certain. "Costa is a difficult player to put up with," said Perquis. Betis did not.

And so it started. Costa challenged José Cañas. There was not much wrong with it but he spun and twisted and crashed into a dramatic heap. As the ball ran loose Pérez walloped Cebolla. In they piled, pushing and shoving. Thirteen players came together. Costa was not one of them. He soon would be. Next time Atlético were in the Betis penalty area, the moment had come. Amaya approached Costa, leaning in. Blink and you'd miss it but next thing you knew, Costa was spinning round and there was the evidence: a great big globule of gob on the side of his face.

Somehow, spitting always seems the ultimate of sins; a face full of gob is worse than a face full of blood. To judge by the reaction, this was worse than if Amaya had just punched him: sneakier, dirtier, more disgusting. Even though spitting is far less likely to do damage than punching. As for Costa's insistence that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch, there's something questionable, and probably self-interested, about that too: why should cheating necessarily be forgotten the moment the whistle goes, or the tunnel treated as a state without law? Why should there be a 90-minute statute of limitations? Football as love and war – a territory where all is fair. But all is not fair, not even in love and war.

That though is the code to which Costa adheres. And there was something about the fact that he applies it to himself too. As the final whistle went Costa had to be held back. He grabbed the ball and hoofed it into the sky, then headed down the tunnel, where he tore off his gloves and threw them to the ground, still fuming. But by the time he appeared under the north stand and faced the media, he was happy. As if he accepted that the way he plays brings with it risks and he is prepared to take them, even if it means getting kicked to bits. As if getting gobbed on is just an occupational hazard. One scenario he had already encountered against Madrid, incidentally, and one he took, almost literally, on the chin. "They kicked Diego a lot and he behaved," said Mario SuĂĄrez.

"There are no scores to settle and no problems," Costa said afterwards. "What goes on the pitch stays on it. I don't take it home with me." Not least because what he did take home were three more points. His goal had given AtlĂ©tico another win: 20 in a row at the Vicente CalderĂłn, 12 out of 12 in the league and just six goals conceded – three of them in a single game. They are seven points clear of Real Madrid, 15 clear of Betis, the last of the non-Champions League teams, and just nine points off Barcelona. "People are talking about Madrid but our rivals are AtlĂ©tico Madrid," said Dani Alves.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/04/douglas-costa-atletico-madrid-la-liga?CMP=twt_gu

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #84: Aug 01, 2013 11:19:07 pm
      It looked like Ramos gobbed on him then he wiped it and flung it back. Hard to tell
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #85: Aug 01, 2013 11:20:05 pm
      Did he really fling snot on him?

F**k me, this lad is going to be bang for your buck.

Shame he plays upfront else he could have been the prems first snot flinging winger  :)
      neilo
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #86: Aug 01, 2013 11:21:17 pm
      If this is true and we get him and Luis stays then I am gonna really enjoy next season the press are going to implode with them pair of lunatics playing for us.
      I'm actually excited  but I won't hold my breath.
      He makes Bellamy look calm and relaxed.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #87: Aug 01, 2013 11:24:33 pm
      If this is true and we get him and Luis stays then I am gonna really enjoy next season the press are going to implode with them pair of lunatics playing for us.
      I'm actually excited  but I won't hold my breath.
      He makes Bellamy look calm and relaxed.

Barton's looking to come back to the city of Liverpool too  :)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #88: Aug 01, 2013 11:26:42 pm
      Barton's looking to come back to the city of Liverpool too  :)

Barton said the only team he would take a pay cut to play for was his beloved Everton FC.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #89: Aug 01, 2013 11:27:15 pm
      This lad looks like he would adapt to the premiere league perfectly. Big, strong and won't take sh*t from anyone. Looks a good player too. I was a little concerned he was a striker, but I could see it being him, Sturridge, Coutinho and Suarez as our attackers in a 4-2-3-1 system.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #90: Aug 01, 2013 11:30:13 pm
      ^sounds excellent get him signed up,ta for the read semple.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #91: Aug 01, 2013 11:32:00 pm
      Yeah nice idea to keep hold of Luis.Increase the South American contingent.

Quick Reply