Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Midfield Three

Read 11595 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Midfield Three
      Reply #115: Aug 13, 2013 10:14:20 pm
      Coutinho at the #10 spot would require a fair amount of cover behind him. He's fantastic offensively, but Gerrard and Lucas behind him are a pretty immobile pair.

I love Lucas, but I just don't think he's going to ever return to his best. The best game I ever remember him playing was that Man City performance from a couple seasons ago at home. He was everywhere. Since these last couple of injuries he just hasn't looked the same. Still a very good defensive midfielder, but I just don't see us rolling on with him as our only option.

I think we need a much more mobile defensive midfielder to play with Stevie. Until that happens I think there will be games where we will suffer with Coutinho as the #10. Coutinho on the left with the freedom to roam is great, because you won't generally have one of the midfielders marking him. Some of his best through balls were him cutting in from that exact position.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #116: Aug 14, 2013 11:02:02 am
      So, would I be right in thinking that this looks like the starting XI for Stoke (baring any injuries and if we dont sign any new players beforehand)?

If so think it looks abit promising, have abit of attacking threat, but the capabilities to be very compact defensively especially with Allen in the team.

And afterwards if we do sign this 'top left' player + IF suarez stays anyone think this may be the regular XI?

Aspas on the left and Sterling on the right of the front 3 until Suarez is back, but i think it will be a fluid front 3 like Barca play with all of t hem responsable defenceivly
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #117: Aug 14, 2013 05:23:13 pm
      Aspas on the left and Sterling on the right of the front 3 until Suarez is back, but i think it will be a fluid front 3 like Barca play with all of t hem responsable defenceivly

It's more likely to be the other way around if you want the front 3 to be fluid as that way you have Sterling naturally cutting inside onto his strongwer right foot from the left and vice versa on the other wing with Aspas
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #118: Aug 14, 2013 10:54:32 pm
      I think midfield is currently our achillies heel. I don't know if it's because of the sheer lack of numbers or the lack of ability - I suspect it is the latter. Last season our defense came in for some very heavy criticism (defending set-pieces is a fair gripe) but from open play this comes back to the midfield for me. Our midfield don't shield our defense like they should and the balance isn't there between attack and defense, it's heavily weighted in favour of attack as it's an open expansive style we use.

I think Lucas needs more cover (legs) alongside him for the balance to be right. As Stevie's knocking on I feel our two sitters are too pedestrian for their defensive duties.

I would have liked to have seen something like this during the summer:

Wanyama       Lucas

Gerrard/Allen
      oscarlee
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #119: Aug 15, 2013 03:46:40 pm
      Lucas' form is going to be a risk this season... to do well we need him at his best 90% of the time... trouble is, I am not even sure if he will be available for selection .. due to suspensions, injuries... he is all heart... but he lacks the legs and the nous to play that makelele role... which often means that he will clatter into attacking opponents, give away free kicks and attract cautions.

Even greater concern is that beyond him, we do not have an established defensive midfield... not even an apprentice to Lucas...

Are we going to depend on Gerrard and Allen to cover that position? Neither are best deployed in that position... moreover... while we have seen Gerrard play all season, is he up to that level of intensity and consistency at 33?

Looking at Stamford Bridge... Chelsea's best days were when they had Makalele in that role... followed by Essien...

in addition to chasing (yet) another winger...we should put priority in bringing at least another established defensive midfield ... and perhaps groom another from the youth ranks.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #120: Aug 16, 2013 12:38:58 am
      Anyone notice how accomplished the captain looked playing the holding role for England the other night? I thought he was superb.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #121: Aug 16, 2013 02:53:12 am
      Anyone notice how accomplished the captain looked playing the holding role for England the other night? I thought he was superb.

Yes, I thought he had a good game too.

Whether he can keep that up over the course of the season remains to be seen, the Celtic match was a warning.

I wish we'd have brought someone in to relieve Gerrard of playing so intently week in week out.

Quick Reply