Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Midfield Three

Read 11527 times
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Re: Midfield Three
      Reply #92: Aug 12, 2013 12:47:27 pm
      If Allen can get the form of the start of last season, before his injury we have a very tidy player.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #93: Aug 12, 2013 01:11:03 pm
      So if coutinho is gonna be in the centre playing the 10 role as rodgers has stated do we still have a midfield 3??
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Aug 12, 2013 01:13:31 pm
      So if coutinho is gonna be in the centre playing the 10 role as rodgers has stated do we still have a midfield 3?
      I could be wrong but I get the feeling you haven't read much of this thread 'boy.  ;D

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #95: Aug 12, 2013 02:41:16 pm
      Expanding on his plans for Coutinho, Rodgers continued: "No question, Coutinho's best position is the No.10.

"And once we get the right kind of quality to put on the sides, he will play in that central role. That is where he affects the game best.

"At the moment, he has the licence to jump in and come inside - joining in and making passes, and we accommodate defensively when he does that.

"But there is no doubt, his best position is in the middle."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142356-br-we-re-working-hard-on-deals

Where this would leave the best player, "by a mile", in the first three months of last season, I don't know but it makes prefect sense to me.

It's refreshing to read that, was really disappointed when Cou kept turning out on the left as it did seem so obvious his best position was the 10, to me even before he came. What I do question with that though is the motive behind the Mkhitaryan offer then, did Rodgers want to adapt Cou to the left side if we brought him in, all seems a little strange to me that.

The next question would be if we get the 'top left' guy and move Cou to the 10, what happens the player who was 'miles ahead' of everyone last season? Surely he wouldn't drop Lucas and he can't drop Gerrard, so..... I'm intrigued to see that's for sure.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4949 
      Reply #96: Aug 12, 2013 02:45:26 pm
      Expanding on his plans for Coutinho, Rodgers continued: "No question, Coutinho's best position is the No.10.

"And once we get the right kind of quality to put on the sides, he will play in that central role. That is where he affects the game best.

"At the moment, he has the licence to jump in and come inside - joining in and making passes, and we accommodate defensively when he does that.

"But there is no doubt, his best position is in the middle."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142356-br-we-re-working-hard-on-deals

Where this would leave the best player, "by a mile", in the first three months of last season, I don't know but it makes prefect sense to me.

On the bench by the sounds of it Mouse.

If Coutinho plays the 10 then it's Lucas and Stevie for the other two positions and if Brendan gets the 'top left' player ha has talked about then Coutinho will play as 10.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,672 posts | 6965 
      Reply #97: Aug 12, 2013 02:48:47 pm
      So it looks like our midfield 3 will almost certainly be a partnership between Lucas, Gerrard and Joe Allen with Henderson as backup .

It's not ideal is it.

The amount of possession we play you wouldn't really want a Lucas AND another defensively minded player.  Someone to alternate with Gerrard heading forward would be more ideal.

With Downing heading out - it's going to be a more fluid front three though - the only hope is that there are more options for someone to come and pick the ball from midfield and weave forward.  Downing wasn't that player.

Personally I'd have one of Lucas, Henderson and Allen in the midfield - still think we're short of a bit of brilliance in there.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #98: Aug 12, 2013 02:55:26 pm
      I like Joe Allen (even changed my avatar to show some support :f_tongueincheek:) but as long as Gerrard is playing that deep "Alonso" role, I don't think there's a place in the team for Allen - he becomes redundant, unless he's covering for Lucas, which isn't ideal either. Not saying he can't do well as the more offensive midfielder once in a while, but he's not an attacking midfielder and think he'll struggle there. If both the captain and Allen are playing at the same time, I would hope Gerrard to be the more offensive one.

As for Henderson, I think right now he offers more to the team as a "defensive winger" than in the middle. Can't see him working that well as a DM as defensively he leaves much to be desired (it's not all about running), and in a central attacking role, don't hink he's creative enough. A versatile squad player but wouldn't want him in such an important position of the pitch.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #99: Aug 12, 2013 03:01:09 pm
      It's refreshing to read that, was really disappointed when Cou kept turning out on the left as it did seem so obvious his best position was the 10, to me even before he came. What I do question with that though is the motive behind the Mkhitaryan offer then, did Rodgers want to adapt Cou to the left side if we brought him in, all seems a little strange to me that.

The next question would be if we get the 'top left' guy and move Cou to the 10, what happens the player who was 'miles ahead' of everyone last season? Surely he wouldn't drop Lucas and he can't drop Gerrard, so..... I'm intrigued to see that's for sure.

I think Mkhi was a replacement for Luis Luke.  Last summer it was 'build the team round Luis' this summer I think 'it's build the team round Cou'.  Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

I'm guessing that Allen and Hendo will be used sparingly if we get this new 'left sided attacker'.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,621 posts | 2159 
      Reply #100: Aug 12, 2013 03:03:49 pm

Sounds like Rodgers is simply looking for a capable left winger in order to release Coutinho to play inside doesn't it? That would leave Stevie, Lucas, Allen and Henderson scrapping it out for the other 4 spots.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #101: Aug 12, 2013 03:09:23 pm
      Sounds like Rodgers is simply looking for a capable left winger in order to release Coutinho to play inside doesn't it? That would leave Stevie, Lucas, Allen and Henderson scrapping it out for the other 4 spots.

Surely you mean 2 spots Scott?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,621 posts | 2159 
      Reply #102: Aug 12, 2013 03:14:22 pm

Yeah sorry! i got baby brain! Four into two!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #103: Aug 12, 2013 03:18:17 pm
      Yeah sorry! i got baby brain! Four into two!

No worries mate, I had nightmare visions of our attacking line up being Lucas, Stevie, Allen, Hendo and Cou  ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #104: Aug 12, 2013 03:34:42 pm
      I think Mkhi was a replacement for Luis Luke.  Last summer it was 'build the team round Luis' this summer I think 'it's build the team round Cou'.  Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

I'm guessing that Allen and Hendo will be used sparingly if we get this new 'left sided attacker'.

Could be Debs, I just don't see how bringing in Mkhi does anything but hurt Cou's development if it was already obvious to Brendan that his best position was the 10?

Would seem very counter productive and with a clearly limited budget a bit of a strange decision, anyway it doesn't matter now, just trying to get an insight into Brendan's long term plans is all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4949 
      Reply #105: Aug 12, 2013 03:36:59 pm
      Brendan's transfer strategy has been a bit erratic to say the least this summer.

I wonder if having to move people on before he can buy has contributed to this.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #106: Aug 12, 2013 03:40:18 pm
      Brendan's transfer strategy has been a bit erratic to say the least this summer.

I wonder if having to move people on before he can buy has contributed to this.

Absolutely convinced it has mate and that's why 'judging' Brendan is going to be difficult because he would seem to have some mitigating factors. The biggest question about that is how complicit is he, would certainly shape my opinion if I knew he was at least fighting against the constraints in the background rather than happily doing as he's told.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #107: Aug 12, 2013 03:41:36 pm
      Could be Debs, I just don't see how bringing in Mkhi does anything but hurt Cou's development if it was already obvious to Brendan that his best position was the 10?

Would seem very counter productive and with a clearly limited budget a bit of a strange decision, anyway it doesn't matter now, just trying to get an insight into Brendan's long term plans is all.

I think Luis has put a spanner in any plans that Brendan may have had Luke.  It must be very difficult to plan anything with the current situation.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #108: Aug 12, 2013 07:58:33 pm
      I think Luis has put a spanner in any plans that Brendan may have had Luke.  It must be very difficult to plan anything with the current situation.
      Nah, that’s way too convenient 'debs.

Going on what John Henry said; i.e. 'Suarez knew that if a deal was to be done it had to be done early' (which also shows that the Club were well aware of Luis wanting away btw  ;)) - the club should have had plans in place: with or without Suarez.

It seems that, (going on what Brendan said; i.e. 'we only had one top target'), we weren't too well prepared - transfer committee or not. What happened to the list we were told about after we missed out on Mickthearmenian?

Blaming the Suarez debacle on this, penny-pinching, smart-arsed procrastination won't wash with me.

We first find out that Mickthearmenian was to be the answer next minute, Allen is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now we are building the team around Coutinho (who, IMO, will be a 'Worldy' # 10 btw) but only if we can get a left-sided goal-scorer. If we don't get one what; we mend and make do? :o

In my opinion, this policy of F***ing about; this seeing who we can move on before buying; this seeing how much we can save then reacting; has cost the team yet again. We've got the resources; why not just buy top quality player first thing and let the sh*t sort it's self out?... Then, if Suarez stays, the team is stronger and if Luis goes, the team is stronger... win-F***ing-win.

As it stands Brendan is left admitting that his best #10 might have to play up-front 'til we find a left-sided goal-scorer... who won't be first choice and maybe even not second choice. Seriously?  >:D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #109: Aug 12, 2013 08:05:59 pm
      Would seem very counter productive and with a clearly limited budget a bit of a strange decision

I agree it seems a bit strange but personally I have no problem with Coutinho playing on the left at all. That's where he has played for most of his career in Europe, and I think he's quite good there. So if players availability/prices meant that a top quality number 10 like Mhiki was affordable while a left winger of similar quality wasn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me - I'd just keep Coutinho on the left. Reminds me of Gerrard playing on the right... definitely not his best position but played there to great effect for a while and it was for the best of the whole team.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #110: Aug 12, 2013 08:07:15 pm
      Nah, that’s way too convenient 'debs.

Going on what John Henry said; i.e. 'Suarez knew that if a deal was to be done it had to be done early' (which also shows that the Club were well aware of Luis wanting away btw  ;)) - the club should have had plans in place: with or without Suarez.

It seems that, (going on what Brendan said; i.e. 'we only had one top target'), we weren't too well prepared - transfer committee or not. What happened to the list we were told about after we missed out on Mickthearmenian?

Blaming the Suarez debacle on this, penny-pinching, smart-arsed procrastination won't wash with me.

We first find out that Mickthearmenian was to be the answer next minute, Allen is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now we are building the team around Coutinho (who, IMO, will be a 'Worldy' # 10 btw) but only if we can get a left-sided goal-scorer. If we don't get one what; we mend and make do? :o

In my opinion, this policy of f**king about; this seeing who we can move on before buying then reacting; this seeing how much we can save; has cost the team yet again. We've got the resources; why not just buy top quality player first thing and let the sh*t sort it's self out?... Then, if Suarez stays, the team is stronger and if Luis goes, the team is stronger... win-f**king-win.

As it stands Brendan is left admitting that his best #10 might have to play up-front 'til we find a left-sided goal-scorer... who won't be first choice and maybe even not second choice. Seriously?  >:D

I'm not, or didn't think I was, giving him excuses mate, it's just my reading of how the summer has panned out.

First there was Mkhi, all ready to go, our main target, our exciting signing, then nothing.

Then there was Costa with basically the same format.

I agree totally with what you're saying.  What have the committee been doing?  Where are the supposed 3 targets for each position who were all prepared to sign?  Where's the money? etc etc etc

Seems to me (I feel a song coming on) there are more questions than answers this window.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,610 posts | 7142 
      Reply #111: Aug 12, 2013 08:16:30 pm
      Couthino is the only player that other clubs in the EPL talk about they consider the rest average at best. I know Stevie is getting older but this disciplined role he is playing bothers me a bit as it takes a lot of his game away. The more you look at our squad the more questions it raises.
      Lucas is the only player in the 3 that is in his natural position and maybe putting Stevie out wide right may help the conundrum of goals from midfield as well as more goal scoring opportunities being created.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #112: Aug 12, 2013 09:25:14 pm
      So, would I be right in thinking that this looks like the starting XI for Stoke (baring any injuries and if we dont sign any new players beforehand)?

If so think it looks abit promising, have abit of attacking threat, but the capabilities to be very compact defensively especially with Allen in the team.

And afterwards if we do sign this 'top left' player + IF suarez stays anyone think this may be the regular XI?

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #113: Aug 13, 2013 07:21:42 am
      I think if we want to move up to the next level and actually challenge for the title rather than chasing CL (or watching it slip away from us season after season), we need to accept that Allen, Lucas and Henderson are good backup players but are not at the level we require.

Gerrard is obviously at the level required but for how much longer? Coutinho  looks to be already approaching the level we need, but he requires the right quality of players around him if we are to get the best out of him, and I would prefer him to play in a more advanced role as a true number 10. 

Lucas played his best football under Dalglish and hasn't seemed to reach that level either before under Rafa and Hodgson or since under Brendon. I would like to see a good defensive midfielder brought in both for competition for Lucas and perhaps to add a little more physicality and strength when needed.

I think we need at least one top quality player for the midfield 3 with movement and power, preferably two, with one eye on eventually having to replace our Captain. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #114: Aug 13, 2013 09:54:34 am
      I think we need at least one top quality player for the midfield 3 with movement and power, preferably two, with one eye on eventually having to replace our Captain.

Unfortunately mate the reality is that our midfield is only strong on paper, and we're in dire need of midfielders with quality, not just "squad players."  Stevie was better last year than the previous season, but he's getting on, and seems to be slower each year.  He also has games where he just... chooses not to show up.  We need a box-to-box midfielder ASAP, the mind boggles when you think of the fact that we could have had Diame on a free in summer of '11.  Or that we could have had Dembele last summer for the same price we paid for Joseph.

Anyway, Lucas is, in my opinion, an even more glaring weakness.  He was very poor last season, and we have no idea if he's going to be better this season.  He's not fast, and he's not a physical presence, so when he makes mistakes on the pitch he doesn't have the pace to make up for them.  A major part of our defensive frailty last season was due to the fact that Lucas just wasn't cutting it in protecting our back four, leaving them exposed with pacy/tricky attackers running at them for fun.

Our midfield really isn't as impressive as people make it out to be, unfortunately. 

Quick Reply