Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Midfield Three

Read 11582 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Midfield Three
      Aug 04, 2013 12:13:22 pm
      So it looks like our midfield 3 will almost certainly be a partnership between Lucas, Gerrard and Joe Allen with Henderson as backup . I don't think a lot of people expected that so it would be interesting to see how posters think it will go. The press suggested we were very keen on the Armenian lad to play at the top of the triangle but since then (despite a bit of speculation) it's all gone a bit cold on any potential targets.

Looking at the last couple of pre-season games it does now look as if Allen will play as the most advanced of the three and he has actually looked pretty good in there. I think most fans assume Allen is a bit of a one trick pony in that he is simply a tidy footballer who will keep things ticking over but rarely do anything to actually hurt the opposition. Personally I think there is more to his game. We didn't see much of it last season but he can dribble and travel with the ball and link defence to attack and his composure on the ball/ability to receive and pass the ball with players on his back SHOULD be a real strength at both ends of the pitch. He is also quite quick and this comes in useful when it comes to pressing the ball high up the pitch. Of course he will also need to add a goal or two to his game, I think he got 4 in his final season at Swansea and he will probably need to beat that total and add a few to really justify playing in a more advanced position.

Lucas is absolutely key to our chances this season and the early signs are good. He certainly looks to have regained that 5-10% of sharpness that was lacking last season. He had been out for a long time with one serious and one less-serious injury and i always felt he was a little off the pace, always a step too late last year. Gerrard doesn't really have the legs anymore anymore, if he makes a burst upfield and we lose the ball it is usually 30-40 seconds before he is back into position so he needs a couple of others in thereto do his running for him and I think that was one of the things that Henderson really brought to the table last season. I think Rodgers really wants to play as a 1 and 2 with both Allen and Gerrard having some licence to get forward but as the season wore on it became a 2 and 1. A fit, healthy and mobile Lucas will hopefully enable to the first scenario, particularly at Anfield.

So do people think it can work with these 3?

I think it can. We tend to play with a very narrow front 3, usually with a right footer playing on the left ie. Coutinho or Sterling or and then with a leftie on the right ie. Aspas or Sturridge and the width coming from the full-backs. This (for me) changes the nature of the player you need to play in the 10 shirt. Neither Allen or Henderson are players who you would naturally put in as your most advanced midfielder (you would normally look for a Coutinho type or Gerrard) but playing a narrow front 3 who interchange puts less pressure on your AMF to be the creative force in there and last season it was Henderson's energy and mobility that made a real difference (particualary with Lucas off the pace). However, if Rodgers plays a more conventional 4-5-1 with the wide players staying wode ie. Downign on the left, Sterling on the right then it's important to have a player like Coutinho playing inside in the AMF/10 role.

On the face of it it does look like a risk to not bring in another CM and i still suspect that we will but we do have the option of playing young Coutinho in there and the early signs suggest that Alberto (despite playing in a front 3 in Spain) will serve his apprenticeship in the middle of the park. 
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Re: Midfield Three
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2013 12:25:59 pm
      I think Allen has more to offer and hopefully he will show that this season. He was good the first half of last season but I cant remember if he played advanced or deep. I think he was playing deep to cover for Lucas, and that's where he looked best. He has looked OK pre-season in a more advanced position, but I would prefer him and Lucas holding and Stevie getting further up.

I still think we need another for the midfield tho. I see Allen and Henderson as squad player quality really so a better AM would improve us a lot.
      You never know, there's a while left until the transfer window closes.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2013 12:38:17 pm
      I think they are our midfield three more down to failing to bring in other players, rather than on merit. What I mean by that is Allen isn't an attacking midfielder and ideally we would have bought someone like Mhyktrian or Eriksen. That's not to say I am not confident in the three. Allen showed some good signs of his ability to get forward yesterday, with Lucas and Gerrard covering in behind. If Gerrard had the legs, we could even put Stevie their but no point talking like that. I have faith in Henderson playing the forward midfield role. I am a huge admirer of his and I know I harp on from time to time, but I have every confidence in his ability.

There is still time left in the transfer window so you never know. However, it's looking unlikely that we will sign another midfielder, rather an attacking player. Seems Brendan has decided to go with a solid midfield and strong attacking options.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2013 12:44:49 pm
      So it looks like our midfield 3 will almost certainly be a partnership between Lucas, Gerrard and Joe Allen with Henderson as backup . I don't think a lot of people expected that so it would be interesting to see how posters think it will go.
      Just one excerpt from a great post mate which gives food for thought.

I'm a bit torn about over the phrase "I don't think a lot of people expected that" because in one way I didn't and in another way I did.

First off why I didn't: I see Coutinho as a better prospect as a 'number 10' or the point of a three and wonder would we be moving him out of the position just to accommodate Allen. I agree that there's more to the wee man than some give credit for; I just don't see him as being better in that role. Similarly is see Gerrard as being better in that 'link up' role (between DM and attack) and Lucas as being better in the 'defensive role. For me, as it stands, my three would be Lucas, Gerrard and Coutinho.

Now, why I did expect it: Brendan has an awful lot of time for Allen and sees him as being an integral part of the system he's trying to implement. Coutinho's ability to play in an even more advanced role (in the front three) means that he is more likely to be moved to accommodate Allen in the starting eleven. I hope this makes sense.

Whatever works tho' - I genuinely don't care who plays where when we are winning. If Joe Allen plays in the 'number 10' role and we win I won't complain. The beauty about the whole thing is that the players we've signed give us plenty of flexibility up front and in two of the three midfielders should things go 'tits up'.

The only place we lack that flexibility (or options) in my opinion are in the defensive midfield role but that might be for a different thread.
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2013 01:20:31 pm by bad boy bubby »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Aug 04, 2013 01:14:23 pm
      To be honest if we sign Costa and keep hold of Suarez I'd expect Allen would drop out the midfield 3 and Coutinho would take his place once all bans are completed and injuries over come I'd expect we'd look something a little like this.

Sturridge

Costa.                Scouseinho.          Suarez

Gerrard.           Lucas.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2013 01:34:18 pm
      To be honest if we sign Costa and keep hold of Suarez I'd expect Allen would drop out the midfield 3 and Coutinho would take his place once all bans are completed and injuries over come I'd expect we'd look something a little like this.

Sturridge

Costa.                Scouseinho.          Suarez

Gerrard.           Lucas.

I'd agree with that mate. 

Allen seems to be a decent all rounder in that mf 3 but he's really not the class of player to take us to the next level.  He can certainly do a job for us, same as Hendo can and to an extent Downing but a mf 3 of Lucas, Allen and Stevie means that they all have to be right at the top of their game, every game to give us the right combination of attack (creativity) and defense (solidity).

I think that although neither Allen or Hendo are AMF's I prefer them further up the pitch, as their frailties and/or weaknesses cause less damage there than in a more defensive role.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2013 01:38:07 pm
      Yep, I do like this 'blood' got a good balance and feel to it, last season I found that Allen, Shelvey and to a extent Stirling ran out of steam, understandable especially Stirling, Allen tho had a good season previous with Swans and its possible his stamina to produce the level required at Liverpool just wasn't there, I think Brendan will rotate more this year to (a) keep players fresh, (b) have healthy competition between players, and (c) for tactical reasons

Not saying he'll do a Rafa and name a different team each week but he will certainly be trying different formations, I guess time will tell us which trio will perform best.  YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #7: Aug 04, 2013 01:39:06 pm
      My opinion on Allen is well known, he wouldn't be in my team full stop. He wouldn't even be on the bench if I were picking the team truth be told.

If we're going with three in the middle then Coutinho has to play as the most advanced with Gerrard and one other beside him. Who the other is, doesn't really bother me at this point as if you want somebody who can run then Henderson can fit in and Stevie can do the dictating of play from deep as well as happily stifle the opposition of attacks. If you want somebody who'll stand in front of the back four all day then we've got Lucas for that role.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Aug 04, 2013 01:39:33 pm
      Will probably be the same if we don't sign Costa as Aspas will probably take Costa's role.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Aug 04, 2013 02:02:53 pm
      My opinion on Allen is well known, he wouldn't be in my team full stop. He wouldn't even be on the bench if I were picking the team truth be told.

If we're going with three in the middle then Coutinho has to play as the most advanced with Gerrard and one other beside him. Who the other is, doesn't really bother me at this point as if you want somebody who can run then Henderson can fit in and Stevie can do the dictating of play from deep as well as happily stifle the opposition of attacks. If you want somebody who'll stand in front of the back four all day then we've got Lucas for that role.

I respect your opinion Billy but I'm not so sure your right about Allen, in his first dozen games for us he did ok for me, without being a world beater but he was still finding his feet at a club as massive as wee are and was only in his second year as a prem player, a lot of players face burn out to early and I think this applies to Joe, I seem bits and pieces that impressed me but they were few and far between and obviously not consistent,
      He isn't of course in the same mould say as a Molby or Alonso but who are these days, I think he will have a fair crack at it this season and I suppose we will all find out on the end.     YNWA
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2013 02:22:57 pm
      Although it does look like it will be a midfield 3 at the minute I would much prefer to sign a proper number 10 player to float around behind the front 3, Mhik would have been ideal but our best hope now might be Eriksen but not sure its likely we will get him. But Costa could be a very good option as we could play him on the left upfront which would allow Coutinho to play behind the strikers, which is what I think, his best position.

Do have to admit that Allen has looked alot better this pre-season and if he added a few goals to his game, like you said, it would definitely improve our chances in the league this season, especially with Gerrard now playing alot deeper with not alot left in the tank. Also Henderson has looked sharp and looks very eager to fight for his place. One thing Im sure of is that we will have a lot of competition for those places if we manage to bring another attacking option in, and im sure that can only be a good thing. Without trying to drift off topic I feel that Enrique became abit too complacent last season as he had virtually no competition at left-back, this is why I feel its vital to have competition for places in EVERY single position on the field, gives the players something to work for and they know if they have a few bad games they could easily lose their place.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2013 02:39:52 pm
                                      Henderson     Gerrard        Lucas

Coutinho        Sturridge      Suarez
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2013 02:42:17 pm
      Allen's finishing is woeful though, not good enough for the advanced midfield role. Shelvey had exactly the same problem last year.

It's got to be Coutinho there for me, although for the trickier away games I would put Hendo/Allen in there for more protection.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,690 posts | 7160 
      Reply #13: Aug 04, 2013 03:01:21 pm

not in mine either what has Allen got that Spearing hasn't.
      1 holding midfielder Lucas  then Gerrard and Henderson.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2013 03:37:19 pm
      not in mine either what has Allen got that Spearing hasn't.
      1 holding midfielder Lucas  then Gerrard and Henderson.

Spearing does his best but come on! What have we been watching if we think that Allen's best is equal only to Spearing's best.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,690 posts | 7160 
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2013 03:45:11 pm
      Spearing does his best but come on! What have we been watching if we think that Allen's best is equal only to Spearing's best.
      tell me what Allen does that Spearing cannot. I agree Spearing isn't good enough but I am far from convinced Allen is much better.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2013 05:19:07 pm
      I only seen bits and pieces of our games so far but the full 90 of the game yesterday and to me it looks like Brendan has been going more for the 1-2 in midfield than a 2-1.

Lucas with Gerrard and Allen allowed to get forward and Coutinho has been almost like the number 10 by cutting in off the left side.

An in form Lucas allows Brendan to play two ahead and if Jose is getting forward like he normally does Coutinho can still play wide but come inside to be the 10.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2013 09:46:55 pm
      tell me what Allen does that Spearing cannot. I agree Spearing isn't good enough but I am far from convinced Allen is much better.
      like for like mate and to think we paid 15 mil for him when we had Jay for nothing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2013 09:56:33 pm
      Whose Allen ?

Does not impress.

A Brendan lacky to get the team playing tika taka
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2013 10:02:33 pm
      Whose Allen ?

Does not impress.

A Brendan lacky to get the team playing tika taka
      Rather like Hodgsons and Paul Konchensky , I might have got the spelling of his name wrong he was so sh*te I can't be arsed either .
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #20: Aug 04, 2013 10:15:35 pm
      I see that a number of you would prefer to see Coutinho playing centrally in the 10 role but I'm not sure I can see Rodgers setting us up like that too often this season. That would effectively mean playing flair players in the front 4 positions as well as asking the two fullbacks to play high and provide width. Given that most side play a 3 man midfield these days you run the risk of getting exposed or losing the midfield battle. I think Rodgers is looking for our midfield 3 to be a little more functional in order to allow our front 3 to be creative and interchangeable and for our FBs to push up and create two v ones. And as srslfc has already highlighted, Coutinho naturally cuts in and occupy a lot of the same areas a traditional number 10 would occupy, the same will apply to Aspas from the opposite side. Having said that I would love us to sign another attacking mid, i'd take a gamble on Taradbt from QPR, very talented player (if a little inconsistent) who could blossom with a stronger supporting cast.

As for who gets the nod between Allen and Henderson it's clear that Allen is highly rated by the gaffer and it looks like the position is his to lose at the moment but Henderson has proved he can do a job there and his mobility and workrate plus efficient use of the ball can be an asset PROVIDING the front 3 are all genuine flair players (ie. one of them isn't Downing).

I'm hoping that Lucas continues in his current vein and that it frees up both Gerrard and whoever partners him to get forward and join attacks.
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2013 10:23:15 pm by Scottbot »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #21: Aug 04, 2013 10:18:43 pm
      Agree Scott and to me it looks like the boss wants to go for a more 4 3 3 this season with three midfield players, a centre forward and two wide forwards.
      gerrard8pool
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 04, 2013 10:43:59 pm
      Agree as well Scott, I think Southampton away showed the vulnerability that arises with an all flair front 4. Smart move by the gaffer in my opinion to keep it a midfield 3 as opposed to 2 and Coutinho in the 10

Quick Reply