Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

Diego Contento (Bayern Munich)

Read 3502 times
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts |
      Diego Contento (Bayern Munich)
      Aug 10, 2013 04:18:23 pm
      Liverpool approach Bayern Munich over loan deal for defender Diego Contento
      Reported by Jamie Sanderson for the Metro

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is desperate to add another option to his squad ahead of the new season, with Jose Enrique the club’s only recognised left-sided defender.

And according to reports in Germany the man being lined up is 23-year-old Bayern ace Contento, who has been told he can leave by manager Pep Guardiola.

Contento made just five appearances last season but is highly rated, and has been strongly linked with Werder Bremen and Hertha Berlin in the last few days.

However, it’s thought Liverpool are ready to put down a £1million loan fee and bring him to the Premier League with a view to a permanent deal.

Talks between the two teams are believed to be at an early stage, but Contento would prefer a switch to England over the other options on the table.

The move represents a breakthrough for Rodgers, who has already seen two deals collapse in recent weeks for other targets he had in mind.

First a move for Benfica’s Lorenzo Melgarejo hit the buffers after he failed to win a work permit, while a row over wages has meant Aly Cissokho’s proposed transfer from Valencia has stalled.

Contento will be a far easier deal to complete, as he bids to try and force his way into the Germany squad ahead of the World Cup next year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,288 posts | 4938 
      Re: Diego Contento (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #1: Aug 10, 2013 04:35:42 pm
      Any reason why we cant just try and buy these players instead of looking to loan?
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 10, 2013 05:00:04 pm
      I think in this case it would be because he's played sparingly for Munich the past few seasons.  Very highly rated a few years back after breaking through from their academy setup.  He was slotted in as their starting LB for a brief spell as they experimented with Lahm at RB.  But injury and a change in managers to Jupp Heynkes sort of derailed his progress as they brought in competition and he's played very little since.  Looks like he's surplus for Guardiola now too. 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,981 posts | 3060 
      Reply #3: Aug 10, 2013 05:04:19 pm
      I think in this case it would be because he's played sparingly for Munich the past few seasons.  Very highly rated a few years back after breaking through from their academy setup.  He was slotted in as their starting LB for a brief spell as they experimented with Lahm at RB.  But injury and a change in managers to Jupp Heynkes sort of derailed his progress as they brought in competition and he's played very little since.  Looks like he's surplus for Guardiola now too. 

I think Si's point mate is why are we looking to strengthen the shallowest position in the squad with a loan - not specifically why loan this guy.

Anyways - back to the game!
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: Aug 10, 2013 05:51:29 pm
      I remember when we used to buy players. Back in the day like...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Aug 10, 2013 06:07:57 pm
      Seriously, we all dream of a team of Diegos. Bring them all.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Aug 10, 2013 07:19:54 pm
      Nothing wrong with a loan deal for a back up player.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Aug 13, 2013 11:27:42 am

Liverpool deal for Bayern's Diego Contento tied to Luiz Gustavo's Arsenal move

LIVERPOOL'S loan move for German left-back Diego Contento hinges on Arsenal's ability to complete a transfer for Bayern Munich teammate Luiz Gustavo.
      By: Ben Jefferson
      Published: Mon, August 12, 2013

Diego-Contento-has-been-linked-with-a-loan-move-to-Liverpool Diego Contento has been linked with a loan move to Liverpool

According to reports in Germany Contento could still leave Munich this summer but only if Gustavo does not also leave.

Another day, another loan deal, another left-back: which one is/was first choice? Which one is best? Which one will cost less?

One thing's for sure and you can say what you will about them but our "transfer committee" are no slouches when it comes to inexpensive left-backs.  ;D

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #8: Aug 13, 2013 02:51:49 pm
      cant we just go for Gustavo and look for a LB some place else :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Aug 14, 2013 01:54:37 pm

THIS! I'd take Gustavo here in a heartbeat.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #10: Aug 14, 2013 02:29:35 pm
      Been signing this for a while. I guess i'm not the only person that thinks the same. get Gustavo, the guy is a beastin the midfield
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11: Aug 14, 2013 03:16:14 pm
      Brought up the Gustavo talks somewhere during the 3rd week of July. People were like "really?? get real.."

wonder what has changed now  ???
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Aug 14, 2013 03:17:22 pm

Actually, Luiz Gustavo can also play at LB if necessary.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #13: Aug 14, 2013 03:23:37 pm
      Actually, Luiz Gustavo can also play at LB if necessary.

didnt know that. I say more reasons to get him then but seriously i cant see it happening.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Aug 14, 2013 03:26:24 pm
      didnt know that. I say more reasons to get him then but seriously i cant see it happening.

Think he's played there for Bayern and also for Brazil.

But certainly his best position is DM. Thought he was great in the Confederations Cup for Brazil.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #15: Aug 14, 2013 03:34:03 pm
      I often see a lot of the German Bundesliga, Diego Contento is decent LB for Bayern Munich, not really spectacular, but he does his job as a back-up. But with David Alaba head of him, it is very difficult for him to get a regular place in the starting eleven.

Would i get this player on a loan deal? Well, if it is deadline-day and we need another LB just to have more  depth in the squad, then yes.
      But at this point in the transfer window I would look somewhere else and see if it is possible to sign a more proven player who had played regular football over the last season.
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 14, 2013 03:55:43 pm
      If it's true that only one of Gustavo or Contento will leave Bayern in the next couple weeks and we had the choice.  Easily Gustavo is the one we should target.  Hopefully we secure Sequeira soon and then we can set about stealing a march on Arsenal and snap up Gustavo!  Doubt we are even in for him but I would love to see the Arse shut out in their transfer dealings especially after this whole Suarez-gate affair.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #17: Aug 14, 2013 04:19:44 pm
      Why do you guys rate Luiz Gustavo so high? :)
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 14, 2013 05:56:04 pm
      I'm more so interested in him to shut out Arsenal, ;D.  in all seriousness I don't know if we really have space for him at the moment.  Good solid player who keeps it simple and is an excellent recycler of the ball.  He's not an out an out DMF but more so that CMF who can control the tempo of the game but isn't going to contribute much going forward.  Does the things that allow others to shine.  At least that's how I view him.  Does that justify a €20M price tag when we supposedly have a few like that in the squad already? Probably not so I doubt we'd be in for him.

Contento in that regard addresses a more serious need for us but I do think Gustavo is overall the better player at this stage of their careers.

Quick Reply