Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 39785 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #667: Aug 17, 2013 06:16:27 pm
       I think we would have won 4-0 if Pepe had been playing as he would have scored a hatrick as well as saving the penalty. Mignolet was nervous in the first half but looked so much better second half. It was a fantastic way for him to start his Anfield career and lets hope he gets to play in as many finals as Pepe did for us. Saying Pepe would not have made the saves he made today is just nonsense.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #668: Aug 17, 2013 06:18:46 pm
      Agree completely, as I said in the match thread, his shot stopping was of the highest calibre. Just don't see how people can say Pepe wouldnt have done as well today.

Much as I love Pep it's a long time since I saw him pull off two world class saves in a game. Not saying he wouldn't have today but it has been a while.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #669: Aug 17, 2013 06:20:45 pm
      Made up for Mignolet and he didn't half come across as a nice lad in the interview after the match.

Good summary of the game here:

Mignolet saves more than three points for Liverpool
      by Kristian Walsh

Football is back. Football and all that comes with it -- the hope, despair, optimism and pessimism -- is back. The opening day of the season is the one day everybody could be champions, every new striker is worth 50 goals a season and nobody can say with much surety who their heroes and villains will be.

For Liverpool, they can still hope. But it was a close thing in the 1-0 win against Stoke at Anfield. That is not to suggest the fate of Liverpool's season rested on Jonathan Walters' penalty, taken as the clock ticked to 89 minutes; there would still have been 37 games and one minute of the season to be played. But if Walters' penalty is scored, or if Kenwyne Jones' rebound is dispatched, heads drop and minds wander to what could have been, to how any fleeting, whimsical thoughts of a special season are defenestrated at the earliest opportunity.

Psychology is an important asset, as is momentum. Liverpool lacked strength in both last season: psychology was something far too absent, while momentum was rarely with Brendan Rodgers' side either. Enter Simon Mignolet, the Belgian goalkeeper with a point to prove after replacing Pepe Reina. Two bursts towards the ball, both to his right, both from point-blank range, strengthened Liverpool's resolve and brought them momentum in the most dramatic fashion.

And so to that penalty save. Liverpool had been comfortable, if not dazzling, for nearly 90 minutes. A rush of blood to the head, and a rush of hand to the ball, is all that is needed to render it obsolete. With a raised arm of Daniel Agger, football was back -- the despair of two points dropped, the pessimism of what would follow in May, the incredulity over Liverpool relinquishing their first opening day win since 2008.

Two kicks of the ball, two flailing limbs, and the despair, pessimism and incredulity turned into an amalgamation of emotion, the foremost and most pertinent being relief from Liverpool. The saves from Mignolet were impressive technically, but even more so mentally. The celebrations -- both in the direct aftermath and more measured, logical ending at full time -- illustrated how important it was.

It was about more than three points becoming one. Rodgers had spoken throughout the summer of Liverpool being in the conversation when lips are parted regarding Champions League football. Tongues may not be wagging yet, but nor did this serve as a gag, a restraint to such utterances. The 1-0 result, and the manner in which it came, keeps the dialogue as they want it. For now.

Liverpool hope. They hoped after Mignolet's save, but in reality they had done so far earlier. The first half was intelligently played with tangible signs that the summer had not been spent admiring the end of last season in Melwood's giant mirror. There was more evidence of Rodgers' preferred style, with ball retention and pressing serving as a platform for the front four to create.

How they created. A goal -- rightly cancelled out as offside -- was proof of how Stoke toiled to repel Liverpool's work up front. Iago Aspas was smart just off the striker, finding space and aiding the quick, one-touch passing around the penalty box. Jordan Henderson was industrious if not entirely impactful --his running provided worry for the Potters' defence, most notably with a chance halfway through the first half.

Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge were both excellent in the circumstances. Coutinho flew around like a gnat, albeit one with a velvet touch. Try as they could, Stoke's brutish, gargantuan limbs could not stop him from cutting in from the left and looking to stretch their back four. Sturridge, meanwhile, led the line admirably; he would drop deep, working hard in bringing the midfield into contention. His goal, struck furiously, served as the metaphorical flag in the ground. This season, he believes, will be one to catapult him amongst the best strikers in the league.

It also gave Liverpool a deserved lead and calmed the increasingly nervous gallery above. Kolo Toure had struck the woodwork with a header that contorted the crossbar, done with the subtlety befitting of his overall play. Toure was a 12-stone torpedo, launching himself at every airborne ball.

But the defence will still be worrisome to Rodgers, albeit against one of the trickiest sides in the league. If the pressing and passing resembled more of Rodgers' ideal, the defence did not. Stoke struck the crossbar in the first half and had voices strained in the second, though Lucas Leiva offered excellent cover. The worry of playing against strength still remains, even with a clean sheet.

Mignolet had looked troubled by Stoke's Hail Mary tactics, but then came the penalty. Hail Mignolet. If a goalkeeper is signed for £9 million, he is expected to win points. The Belgian did so in his first competitive game in the most noticeable manner.

His efforts saved Liverpool three points, but he also gave them hope. A draw against Stoke is a regular occurrence for Liverpool, but context matters little in the Premier League. Within a moment, he turned despair to hope and pessimism to optimism; that will undoubtedly change at some point. For a few hours, the chant that went up around the Kop -- "Liverpool, top of the league" -- was true. Long may they enjoy it, long may they hope, long may that change hundreds of the times throughout the season.

Football is back. It feels like it never left.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1394?cc=5739
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #670: Aug 17, 2013 06:21:03 pm
      Home from the game and obviously made up we got a good result. Sturridge was probably man of the match up until the fantastic save from Mignolet. Not only was it the penalty and rebound, he made a brilliant save in the first half, that could have turned the game. I predicted 1-0 so bonus for me.

;)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #671: Aug 17, 2013 06:24:10 pm
      Much as I love Pep it's a long time since I saw him pull off two world class saves in a game. Not saying he wouldn't have today but it has been a while.
      16 clean sheets last season for Liverpool only City had more I believe
      LFCexiled
      Reply #672: Aug 17, 2013 06:28:50 pm
      Possession. Check.
      Plenty of chances. Check.
      Woodwork hit. Check.
      Opposition with 11 men behind the ball. Check.
      Opposition keeper having the best game of his life. Check.

Getting shafted in the last minute and only getting a draw.  Uncheck.

Funny. Check. ;)
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #673: Aug 17, 2013 06:35:19 pm
      16 clean sheets last season for Liverpool only City had more I believe

Had a great defence behind him at times. Not sure pepe would have saved that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #674: Aug 17, 2013 06:41:23 pm
      I can't believe people are trying to compare Pepe and Mignolet in a negative light onto one or the other and resorting to "he wouldn't have saved this, he wouldn't have saved that". How about the people doing this get a grip, give their head a wobble and be thankful that we have gotten another top keeper at the club and not stuck with Brad Jones?

Just a thought like.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Reply #675: Aug 17, 2013 06:46:25 pm
      I can't believe people are trying to compare Pepe and Mignolet in a negative light onto one or the other and resorting to "he wouldn't have saved this, he wouldn't have saved that". How about the people doing this get a grip, give their head a wobble and be thankful that we have gotten another top keeper at the club and not stuck with Brad Jones?

Just a thought like.

Totally agree.

Who cares if Pepe would have saved this or that? He's not here, Mignolet is.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #676: Aug 17, 2013 06:53:12 pm
       Re: Liverpool v Stoke pre-match thread Sat 17/8/13 12.45 ko
      « Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »
      Mignolet to score on his premier league debut; a last minute penalty :P

Does saving a penalty count as scoring one  :f_tongueincheek:
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #677: Aug 17, 2013 06:59:18 pm
      I voted for Mignolet but I have to say: OUTSTANDING performance from Toure, Sturridge comes next for me. Our 3 best players today. Well done lads and I announce myself a Toure fan; I just love watching him play, if the manager was looking for players who would put their bodies on the line then I'm sure he counts as one.

Mignolet! What a way to mark your PL debut at Anfield!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #678: Aug 17, 2013 07:34:23 pm
      Huh? Did we watch a completely different game? It would have been a draw had he not made a brilliant penalty save and then the rebound.

He was nervous in the first half, but give the lad some credit. He was the difference between 1 point and 3 points and that was why I voted him MOTM.

No idea why we win, he makes a brilliant double save and fans are complaining about tiny things he did wrong, in his very first game.

Seems like some fans like complaining for the sake of it.

Take the penalty out of the equation and Mignolet did not play anywhere near as good as Begovic. Whilst he pulled off one terrific save, he constantly flapped at crosses, didn't come out when needed and did nothing to marshal his defence. Plus it wasn't exactly rocket science to know where the penalty would go, any club's goalkeeping coach worth his badge will have sat down with the keeper and studied the statistics on Stoke's penalty takers. Nor was the penalty particularly good. I'm not taking anything away from the save because it was a key moment in the match that ensured we took all the points, but as a performance over an entire game, Mignolet was no where near the better of the two goalkeepers on display and did nothing to justify Pepe's loan.

As for MOTM, with Courthinio, every attack goes through him. He can thread the eye of the needle with a killer pass, he can dribble, he can run with a ball, and he was consistent over the entire match. Much more deserving of MOTM and he showed again he's one of our most important players.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #679: Aug 17, 2013 07:37:51 pm
      Take the penalty out of the equation and Mignolet did not play anywhere near as good as Begovic. Whilst he pulled off one terrific save, he constantly flapped at crosses, didn't come out when needed and did nothing to marshal his defence.
      Pepe was the same in his first few matches from what I remember...in fact, some were calling for Dudek to be recalled to the starting 11  :f_whistle:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #680: Aug 17, 2013 07:39:57 pm
      Pepe was the same in his first few matches from what I remember...in fact, some were calling for Dudek to be recalled to the starting 11  :f_whistle:

I know, that's why I said in my first post that hopefully it was just nerves. All I'm saying is Begovic was awesome and could walk in to any of the top clubs in Europe and given how strongly we where linked with him, it's strange we went for Mignolet :)
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #681: Aug 17, 2013 07:42:08 pm
      I know, that's why I said in my first post that hopefully it was just nerves. All I'm saying is Begovic was awesome and could walk in to any of the top clubs in Europe and given how strongly we where linked with him, it's strange we went for Mignolet :)
      I hear what you're saying, and I agree that Begovic is a class keeper.  But it takes any keeper a while to build up trust and understanding with his defence. However, that penalty save will have done his confidence a world of good and hopefully he'll kick on. 
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #682: Aug 17, 2013 07:54:10 pm
      The back line was very good. Stoke played well and thought we deserved the win because we weren't scared to continue attacking. Very happy and well worth the trip from Milton Keynes to Anfield.

Great start!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #683: Aug 17, 2013 08:28:42 pm
      F***ing made up.

Great goal, great play (at times) and a great fantastic finish with the saved pen.

First win of 38 this year.
      Hungry kolo
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #684: Aug 17, 2013 08:29:36 pm
      Hi lads (first post),
      atmosphere at the game today was incredible and particularly impressed with Lucas' performance, if he can play like that week in week out it just might look like we've got our old Lucas back!
      Also, as you may guess from the name, I think our Kolo is brilliant. Commitment to the team is excellent and I love his enthusiasm, had me in fits when he legged it up the pitch in the second half on the attack only to turn round and sprint back, not sure why.
      But anyway, hello!
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #685: Aug 17, 2013 08:29:57 pm
      I can't believe that the last time we won our
      opening home game was in 2001 ...can anyone
      correct me if Iam wrong....
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #686: Aug 17, 2013 08:31:34 pm
      I thought Lucas was our best player easily, he was outstanding.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #687: Aug 17, 2013 08:41:30 pm
      Agree completely, as I said in the match thread, his shot stopping was of the highest calibre. Just don't see how people can say Pepe wouldnt have done as well today.

I think Reina would have been faultless today, more faultless than Mignolet but ultimately Mignolet's faults were not major and they were usurped by two moments. I said I'm just pleased that we had a goalkeeper in goals today who was equal to two shots on goal (Walters in first half and his penalty) that had they gone in, we wouldn't have been complaining why Mignolet did not save them. Whether he will turn out to be as good as Reina is anyone's guess.

Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #688: Aug 17, 2013 08:42:44 pm
      No you're correct.  We've always been dire on the first few weeks of the season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #689: Aug 17, 2013 08:48:53 pm

Dead right. Against West Ham that one was. The last time we won an opening fixture was 5 years ago at Sunderland. The only other years between 2001 and 2013 we have won on the opening day was against Villa in 2007 and 2002 both being at Villa Park obviously.

So today makes it just 4 opening games won in 13 years.

Quick Reply