Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Villa

Simon Mignolet
      29 (16.9%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      11 (6.4%)
      Daniel Agger
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      54 (31.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (1.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      13 (7.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      7 (4.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      50 (29.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      4 (2.3%)
      Iago Aspas
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Voting closed: Aug 28, 2013 09:04:17 pm

Aston Villa 0:1 Liverpool In game & post match discussion.

Read 32620 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Aston Villa 0:1 Liverpool In game & post match discussion.
      Reply #529: Aug 25, 2013 08:45:45 am
      Their first win was 2-0 Billy, after seeing the highlights though, they ref robbed Villa of at least a point against Chelsea.
      Thanks for that Rod,so my original apology to lfc_ynwa stands,just glad there was no blood shed.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #530: Aug 25, 2013 08:56:12 am
      Thanks for that Rod,so my original apology to lfc_ynwa stands,just glad there was no blood shed.

;D
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,308 posts | 768 
      Reply #531: Aug 25, 2013 09:02:32 am
      Great another win for the Reds, a while since we won the opening two games of the season. Hope this form continues for a few more games !
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #532: Aug 25, 2013 09:11:43 am
      Watched the highlights this morning. Amazing how Kolo covers up Aggers bad positional sense and challenges Benteke at the end.....Agger needs to step up.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #533: Aug 25, 2013 09:14:10 am

Don't worry Billy.

Let's be honest, I'm never wrong. Hopefully that teaches a lesson to everyone that you shouldn't doubt me :). :laugh:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #534: Aug 25, 2013 09:30:34 am
      Only thing that worried me, was when the gaffer said defend deep now we've scored (because Villa can hurt you on the counter), we looked very nervous and shaky doing so. Seeing as it was the first time we've done that though is a good indicator that gaffer is growing into the job daily

Back him FSG!
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2013 09:56:37 am by Rush »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #535: Aug 25, 2013 09:33:08 am
      Don't worry Billy.

Let's be honest, I'm never wrong. Hopefully that teaches a lesson to everyone that you shouldn't doubt me :). :laugh:
      I still can't get over how you did 5 years for fraud Anyway it is good to have a laugh after 2x3 pointers.cheers.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #536: Aug 25, 2013 09:41:15 am
      Great start to the campaign and a nice position to be in - used to take this for granted but no longer! So it's nice to be in the mix - even this early.

I think in both games we've started brightly and lost direction a bit - when the opposition realised we weren't going to score a barrowload. We still lack penetration in the final 3rd and that will hurt us against better teams - but what we need in reinforcements is debated ad nauseum elsewhere.

Well in lads and well done BR.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #537: Aug 25, 2013 10:03:16 am
      Well done Liverpool  :), Quick Q. What if Agger or Toure get injured Who'll replace them with coates out. New Guy on the forum :D.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #538: Aug 25, 2013 11:19:21 am
      Torn between Sturridge and Toure for man of the match. Ended up giving it to Daniel Sturridge.

His goal was the standout piece of skill in a fairly tightly contested game. A goal worthy of winning a match like that.

Kolo also deserves massive praise, as do our whole back line for keeping Benteke quiet. Don't forget he has scored 3 in the first 2 games and that was against Arsenal and Chelsea. As well as scoring 3 times in the 2 games against us last season.

He had a good chance at the end which was probably due to an error by Daniel Agger, but Mignolet came to the rescue with that excellent save.

Now we shift our focus to the league cup. Let's get that game won before we look at the United game at all.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #539: Aug 25, 2013 11:19:27 am
      Well done Liverpool  :), Quick Q. What if Agger or Toure get injured Who'll replace them with coates out. New Guy on the forum :D.

Welcome.

Guessing it would have to be Skrtel, certainly if we don't bring in a replacement. However, Brendan had already said he wants another centre back.

I was out last night and would really appreciate if someone could post the highlights, preferably from MoTD. Or, anyone know when it is available on Iplayer?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #540: Aug 25, 2013 11:22:57 am
      One or two things.

I thought bringing Aspas off was smart as he'd already been booked then gave away a free kick on the edge of our box. He was a sending off pending, and I continue to be unconvinced by him generally.

Toure is demonstrating graphically the absolute reality that our fans have overrated Agger for years. Defensively he is at best average in our league. Maybe abroad where teams don't have such raw physicality he'd flourish, but in the Premiership he is almost a liability.

To be a real top team, the number 10 point of the midfield needs to be filled with a much better player than Jordan Henderson or Joe Allen. Whether the answer is Coutinho or not remains to be seen (I'm personally not 100% convinced it is as I think it would make him too easy to mark). If it is Coutinho, we obviously need a layer who can play left side.

Brendan has learnt and learnt well. He read the situation well yesterday, and for me the problem wasn't that we dropped back it was that we were so poor/none existent on the counter. Had we had a Suarez, a better number 10 or less leggy versions of Sturridge or Coutinho, we'd have killed them on the break.

Simon Mignolet is a shot stopper of the highest quality. He is a good buy at 9 million quid.

If Stevie were injured tomorrow, we should make Kolo Toure captain. He is a stunning acquisition on a free, and clubs throughout Europe will be asking themselves how Brendan managed to get him unchallenged.
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #541: Aug 25, 2013 11:44:55 am
      Torn between Sturridge and Toure for man of the match. Ended up giving it to Daniel Sturridge.

His goal was the standout piece of skill in a fairly tightly contested game. A goal worthy of winning a match like that.

Kolo also deserves massive praise, as do our whole back line for keeping Benteke quiet. Don't forget he has scored 3 in the first 2 games and that was against Arsenal and Chelsea. As well as scoring 3 times in the 2 games against us last season.

Similar thoughts myself, but I voted Kolo for MOM.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #542: Aug 25, 2013 11:50:21 am
       On the point of Danny Sturridge and his goal, if that had been Van Persie they'd be bandying about terms like "World Class". If Van Persie scores a five yard tap-in on Monday, Danny's goal will be forgotten about.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Reply #543: Aug 25, 2013 12:06:17 pm
      On the point of Danny Sturridge and his goal, if that had been Van Persie they'd be bandying about terms like "World Class". If Van Persie scores a five yard tap-in on Monday, Danny's goal will be forgotten about.

Agree.

Pure class that goal.

Also I'm surprised the captain hasn't got a few more votes for MOTM. I thought he was excellent yesterday and really stepped up second half especially when Lucas form faded.

Good to see all the names in the poll though. ;)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #544: Aug 25, 2013 12:14:43 pm
      Agree.

Pure class that goal.

Also I'm surprised the captain hasn't got a few more votes for MOTM. I thought he was excellent yesterday and really stepped up second half especially when Lucas form faded.

Good to see all the names in the poll though. ;)

Stevie's got my nod mate - watched the full game on play-back last night knowing the result. Although his passing was a bit off the effort and energy to cover and his sheer will when we were under the cosh a bit got it for me.

He'll play better - but it won't get us any more points on any given day.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #545: Aug 25, 2013 12:36:20 pm
      I think Stevie has been fantastic this season he has really adjusted his game to give him the best chance of playing for a long time my MOTM.He and Lucas will be a formidable defensive duo if we can get some additional quality in wide positions we stand a good chance.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #546: Aug 25, 2013 12:56:48 pm
       Gerrard my MOM too. Not even close, best player on the pitch by a zillion miles. If he'd been playing for Villa, they'd have won.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #547: Aug 25, 2013 01:02:44 pm
      Well I've read all the post match debate and in general most people are happy with the results but as always there are those who will never be happy !

In my mind Performances don't matter when the result is in our favour as people have already commented Stoke at home and Villa away last season would have been typical 'banana skins' and cost us dearly.

This season its a different story 6pts from 6 against those same 2 teams (improvement?)

I predicted before the Stoke game we'd get 9 from 9 and the way we have taken the last 6pts shows me next Sunday's no different.

I also said that I'd take 38 1-0 wins (performance wouldn't matter!) BUT my heart wouldn't last the season !

SO FAR SO GOOD 1 GAME AT A TIME, let's get behind the team and not be sticking knives in from the side and rear please !
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,189 posts | 165 
      Reply #548: Aug 25, 2013 01:08:12 pm
      Great first half but it's clear Coutinho  does not have the fitness to play 90 mins. Hendo did not do his job properly yesterday, he should be the one taking the ball from Gerrard and Lucas, not Sturridge! He should make the link between the attack and our 2 CMs, he never dropped down to take the ball like the other attacking players did: he just dropped down and passed backwards again.

How was Cisskho? I missed the last 20min. And I wanted to see L.Alberto instead of Cissokho, I was surprised to see us have to LB on the wing.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #549: Aug 25, 2013 01:10:47 pm
      Coutinho didn't look the best but now and again he showed flashes of brilliance. Went for Enrique as MOTM thought he had a great game
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #550: Aug 25, 2013 01:15:46 pm
      Who the f*** voted Joe Allen as MOTM??

:D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #551: Aug 25, 2013 01:22:12 pm
      Coutinho didn't look the best but now and again he showed flashes of brilliance. Went for Enrique as MOTM thought he had a great game

Bang on the nose for me. Coutinho's going to wake up black and blue and Jose was the best player on the pitch.

Quick Reply