Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Does the 3rd round beckon?

Liverpool win.
      108 (99.1%)
      Notts County shock!
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pre Match Thread: Liverpool vs Notts County, League Cup 27th Aug 2013

Read 12096 times
      Arshad 4pool
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -1 
      Re: Liverpool vs Notts County, League Cup Tue 27 August 2013 KO 19:45
      Reply #69: Aug 27, 2013 03:25:14 am
      In view of united game, Think it's important to rest guys like sturridge gerrard  lucas  coutinho   Especially early season when fitness levels are yet to peak   my team would be
            mignolet   kelly  skrtel  toure cissoko
         allen henderson alberto sterling ibe
              borini
      if kelly and skrtel are unfit replace them with wisdom and agger
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #70: Aug 27, 2013 08:32:24 am
      Going on Brendan's comments and the fact we have four days between this and the Manc's game I'm expecting a strong starting line up.

Would like to see Alberto and Kelly given starts for different reasons.

No reason why we cant go all out in the cups this season, another Wembley trip would do me nicely!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #71: Aug 27, 2013 08:43:17 am
      Hopefully have this match closed out around 70 minutes, bring on the big guys for 20 minutes or so.

4-0
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #72: Aug 27, 2013 10:35:43 am
      Only 3 competitions this season and one of them does not start until January...so no excuses...a strong team is a must.

For this game I would leave out only Johnson (liability) and Aspas in order to have a look at Alberto, and also possibly Sturridge dependent on how he is feeling after a long absence. So...

Mignolet

Kelly          Toure                       Agger      Enrique

Lucas          Henderson

Gerrard            Coutinho                Alberto

Borini

Jones, Wisdom, Allen, Aspas, Sturridge, Sterling, Ibe

I just feel it is vitally important we keep a settled side. Tiredness, too many games cannot be used as an excuse to change the team this season. We have only played 2 games anyway. If players are playing well they stay in...if people get injured, suspended or lose form then that is different. Change for the sake of change does nobody any favours!!

I disagree with a lot of this.  We need to give our fringe players games and if you can't do it against notts County when can you?  I'd imagine key players rested for the  united game.  County will be diving in for everything and I would rather not get silly nocks that would see key players like Coutinho injured. If we went with your formation and that happened,  then he would have to miss the United game. Strong line up against county... are you going to come out with a sheldon cooper bazinga or something?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #73: Aug 27, 2013 10:49:43 am
      I disagree with a lot of this.  We need to give our fringe players games and if you can't do it against notts County when can you?  I'd imagine key players rested for the  united game.  County will be diving in for everything and I would rather not get silly nocks that would see key players like Coutinho injured. If we went with your formation and that happened,  then he would have to miss the United game. Strong line up against county... are you going to come out with a sheldon cooper bazinga or something?
      I never understand this modern bollocks that seems to say that players struggle to play more than a couple of games a week, personally I would like to see an unchanged team butt here's no chance of that happening, sad that Kelly isn't ready yet
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #74: Aug 27, 2013 10:52:07 am

Read my post!! Leaving players out for the sake of leaving them out does nobody any favours. Get the game won and then bring on your fringe players and rest your better players.... not the other way around. Have you not learned any lessons from last season? Do you remember when we used to win this competition all the time with a strong side out?

Are we resting players after 2 games??....its 4 days until the united game. Now Coutinho could do with a goal...as could aspas maybe a stevie g rocket... as for the likes of Joe Allen...does he deserve a start? Does he f*ck...he needs to wait for his chance. Read my post....if people get injured or lose form or get suspended that opens the door...no freebie starts. A place in this side should be earned. We are winning so no changes...bar johnson who is just awful.

One game at a time. I can see why you would want a raft of changes but I disagree. I would rather be 5-0 up after an hour, take Gerrard, Coutinho and Sturridge off and bring on Borini, Alberto and Allen etc and let them impress. The defence (minus johnson) and Mignolet need another game to get a good understanding...this is a perfect opportunity for another 90 mins and hopefully another clean sheet.

What is this obsession with resting players. We have played 2 games. We have no european football. This competition offers a route into european football.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #75: Aug 27, 2013 10:54:34 am
      I never understand this modern bollocks that seems to say that players struggle to play more than a couple of games a week, personally I would like to see an unchanged team butt here's no chance of that happening, sad that Kelly isn't ready yet

This mate. Add to that we have only played 2 games. A settled side, that is winning, and with good momentum is always important. As for the others....they have to wait their chance and work hard. The players who have the jerseys should have a 'over my dead body' mentality for losing their place in the starting line up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #76: Aug 27, 2013 11:39:20 am
      On at 4.45 AM here. I'll be getting up for this one. Showing it on Setanta. Made up.

Come on you Reds. A Mixture of experienced and young. 3-0 for me. Ibe, Alberto and Aspas with the goals.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #77: Aug 27, 2013 11:44:12 am
      Very important that we give the fringe players a game here tonight. Squad morale is important and Brendan has to be able to assess his players in a competitive environment. I'd go for a 50-50 mix, however that pans out.

I'm expecting a 4-0 win tonight and that's with a weakened side.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #78: Aug 27, 2013 11:48:10 am
      Very important that we give the fringe players a game here tonight. Squad morale is important and Brendan has to be able to assess his players in a competitive environment. I'd go for a 50-50 mix, however that pans out.

Yep.
      I'd like to see Alberto and Borini in for this one, the rest I'm not too bothered about.

I don't expect to see Coutinho start, because I'd bet he is pretty heavily bruised after the villa game, and we really need him to be on top form for the weekend.
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #79: Aug 27, 2013 11:50:40 am

This "modern" bollocks is due to the fact the that the modern game of football is so much more intense and physically demanding than it used to be. If a player is able to play a match every three days he is most probably not giving it all. All the fitness regimes are optimized for the player's peak performance to be on a matchday, for that to work there should be several days of rehabilitation. Besides that there are plenty of players who need such matches under their belt in order to earn a league match place, so I see no reason to play our top players here.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #80: Aug 27, 2013 12:01:44 pm
      This "modern" bollocks is due to the fact the that the modern game of football is so much more intense and physically demanding than it used to be. If a player is able to play a match every three days he is most probably not giving it all. All the fitness regimes are optimized for the player's peak performance to be on a matchday, for that to work there should be several days of rehabilitation. Besides that there are plenty of players who need such matches under their belt in order to earn a league match place, so I see no reason to play our top players here.
      your spot on. It's players like Coutinho we have to rest as quick runners take a lot of knocks. People who go on about modern bollocks don't understand today's game. If people are going to give someone who is needing to recover a start against a team who will be sliding in for everything,  they should stop pretending to have any common sense. I'd expect all key players for the united game to be rested. Take no chances against what should be an easy game against a league one side. Some of you guys are scared of notts County,  when we face a championship side,  then we can start thinking about taking a risk. Sure we need to win it, if we fail to finish in the top four,  Europa League is a doorway to champions  league next season, but county isn't going to cause us problems. I can see Borini scoring a hatrick or something.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #81: Aug 27, 2013 12:09:39 pm

It makes sense mate with the selection headache the manager has, it's a fine line in deciding who he can afford to rest and fielding a competitve side, not forgoing the fact that lower league teams have the game of their life when they come to Anfield. 
      A quality bench is a must for as a safety net if nothing else.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #82: Aug 27, 2013 12:09:42 pm
      This mate. Add to that we have only played 2 games. A settled side, that is winning, and with good momentum is always important. As for the others....they have to wait their chance and work hard. The players who have the jerseys should have a 'over my dead body' mentality for losing their place in the starting line up.
      the amount of games played may be 2 since the start of the season,  not including pre season as you clearly forgot about that, but that doesn't mean we can burn our key players out. We have have a long season ahead and need to keep our players as fit as we can especially ahead of games against United.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #83: Aug 27, 2013 01:07:54 pm

This !!

Leaving in two hours for the game, looking forward to it, think Brendan will play quite a few fringe players, with a few senior players as back up to sure up the side.

Come on you mighty REDMEN, lets keep our 100% winning record going  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #84: Aug 27, 2013 01:11:12 pm
      So the swagger is back. After a long time I have seen a 100% win poll prediction.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #85: Aug 27, 2013 01:33:01 pm
                       Jones
      Wisdom   Skrtel    Agger      Cissokho

Allen      Henderson
                          L.Alberto
      Aspas                Borini                Sterling

it would be a good opportunity for Borini, Cissokho, Allen and L.Alberto to start their season.

Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #86: Aug 27, 2013 01:51:26 pm
      I'd be shocked if Wisdom plays RB for us.

Mignolet
      Flanno      Wisdom           Agger      Cissokho
                                   Allen
                            Hendo Alberto
      Ibe                                                     Sterling
                                  Borini
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #87: Aug 27, 2013 01:52:36 pm
      I'd like to see Ryan McLaughlin play RB with Wisdom and Skrtel CB if Martin is fit.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #88: Aug 27, 2013 01:55:51 pm
      I'd be shocked if Wisdom plays RB for us.

Mignolet
      Flanno      Wisdom           Agger      Cissokho
                                   Allen
                            Hendo Alberto
      Ibe                                                     Sterling
                                  Borini

Like your team mate, except Flanno. IMO don't think he cuts it playing for us and is one I don't mind getting rid of permanetly. Chuck Kelly in there instead and I'll be happy with that team.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #89: Aug 27, 2013 01:58:07 pm
      Like your team mate, except Flanno. IMO don't think he cuts it playing for us and its one I don't mind getting rid of permanetly. Chuck Kelly in there instead and I'll be happy with that team.

I think Kelly is injured mate.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #90: Aug 27, 2013 01:59:03 pm
      Hoping to be able to make this tonight, all depending on getting out of work in good time and them still being available on General Sale. Tried to get one online this morning but needed a membership. Anyway, obviously expecting a win. Hoping to see Alberto get a run out but can't begin to predict who else will play.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #91: Aug 27, 2013 01:59:42 pm
      A draw would be ok because it would eliminate one of Luis's banned games

Quick Reply