Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

League Cup - 3rd round draw

Read 29154 times
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Re: League Cup - 3rd round draw
      Reply #161: Sep 09, 2013 02:31:17 pm
      This whole debate went to wrong side which i was afraid .
      2 things i want to make clear  on the behalf if myself and countinho red .

First : we ll be delighted and top of the world with victory over manc and winning league cup just like any other sound and normal fan. no moaning right ?

Second :owners made it clear you ll spend what you ll earn. we ll get in top4 earn more , ll be attraction for good players again, our big players wont want away.....
      Is it JUST ABOUT Money,big player or playing at top.level ?  NO!!
       we aint gonna do Arsenal, once we get in top4 we ll try to win it, and even if knock out still our team ll be STRONGER (reasons mentioned earlier)and ultimatly that ll make our team CAPABLE of WINNING MORE TROPHIES not just league cup..that was main element for this league cup verses CL place debate for me.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #162: Sep 09, 2013 02:51:07 pm
      So again you dodge the points raise and instead just pick up on being called a soft c**t. Alright, I take it you don't like the term soft c**t, how does bare faced liar sit with you then as that's exactly what you are by saying I said you'd be the first to complain.

As for not everyone being in agreement with me, that's something I'm used to. However, I've seen witnessed more people agreeing with me on this discussion than they have yourself. Go figure.

You've got something right though, I am an angry man. I'm angry when I see so called Liverpool fans not arsed whether Liverpool win or lose. I'm angry when I see so called Liverpool fans claiming fourth as an achievement. I'm angry when I have to waste my time with glory hunters.

And for whatever reason you need to know my age I'm 22. But there's also a reason that my nickname is Granddad.
      I don't think anybody thinks it is a useless cup, but I am sure he is just afraid that Liverpool will lose players in the league cup jeopardising our league position. I don't think anyone will back you up if you get nasty with people who have a different opinion. A lot of these different thinkers are are the people buying merchandise and providing revenue for the club. He's relatively new and new people can have misguided opinions. I can't say his opinion is misguided though,  he has genuine concern about keeping players fit for priority games. I saw you dished out scenarios so here's one. ..Gerrard and Coutinho get injured in the league cup against Manchester United,  we draw against Swansea... miss out on 4th at the end of the season by 2 points.... I am sure most people won't even remember about losing points for a league cup game. It's not that we don't want to win,  it is that it is nowhere near as important as the league and if you think it is,  that is as delusional as saying that 4th isn't an achievement.  4th is a massive achievement unless you have had your head up your but for the last 3 seasons. 4th is champions league football,  which will attract better players for us to challenge for the league.  Go on, surprise us why are you called grandad at 22? Do you wear a cardigan? I ask because one of my friends did so I nicknamed him grandad,  it wasn't a complement... it was his fashion sense. Either way,  you were pretty rude to CoutinhoRed and having 15k posts doesn't give you any right to do that.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #163: Sep 09, 2013 02:56:12 pm
      Win the League Cup

Automatically qualify for Europe (Europa League)

Anfield gets European nights back.
      Most seasons you can get Europa from finishing 6th in the league,  being 1st now, why would we finish the season lower than 6th? This is coming from someone who doesn't see fourth as an achievement? Doesn't make sense.
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013 03:04:40 pm by Ribapuru »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #164: Sep 09, 2013 03:09:12 pm
      Most seasons you can get Europa from finishing 6th in the league,  being 1st Now, why would we finish the season lower than 6th?

He's not saying we'll finish lower than 6th mate, he's saying that by winning the League Cup we automatically qualify for Europe.

I saw you dished out scenarios so here's one. ..Gerrard and Coutinho get injured in the league cup against Manchester United,  we draw against Swansea... miss out on 4th at the end of the season by 2 points.... I am sure most people won't even remember about losing points for a league cup game.

Think you've got the fixtures mixed up a bit there.  We play Swansea next Monday, then Southampton, then the scum in the Cup.

I get your point about injuries but you get nowhere living in a 'what if' world.  The 'important games' scenario is the next game we play, winning every game should be the requisite.  Resting players when most weeks throughout the season we'll only be playing one game is a stupid excuse for not playing our strongest 11 in every game. 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #165: Sep 09, 2013 03:09:34 pm
      Hmmm let me see, a group stage European night at Anfield or winning a domestic Cup final at Anfield South? 

Sorry mate, still no contest.
      debs,  all domestic cup wins garentee Europa spot so there is nothing to compare. I would say Champions League football V League cup win and Europa league could be debated.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #166: Sep 09, 2013 03:15:47 pm
      He's not saying we'll finish lower than 6th mate, he's saying that by winning the League Cup we automatically qualify for Europe.

Think you've got the fixtures mixed up a bit there.  We play Swansea next Monday, then Southampton, then the scum in the Cup.

I get your point about injuries but you get nowhere living in a 'what if' world.  The 'important games' scenario is the next game we play, winning every game should be the requisite.  Resting players when most weeks throughout the season we'll only be playing one game is a stupid excuse for not playing our strongest 11 in every game.
      Yeah those fixtures I mentioned aren't really in very good order. I think we could field a strong 11 and still rest players. If we don't play Alberto, Allen etc... what is the point in even having the players. They need some games otherwise they'll be rusty and we won't have any good cover.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #167: Sep 09, 2013 03:17:57 pm
      debs,  all domestic cup wins garentee Europa spot so there is nothing to compare. I would say Champions League football V League cup win and Europa league could be debated.

Exactly.  I'd much rather qualify for European football by winning something than finishing 4th.

Naturally, if we qualify for the CL by becoming Champions I'd be over the moon.  To aim for 4th place however is aiming to fail.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #168: Sep 09, 2013 03:20:19 pm
      Yeah those fixtures I mentioned aren't really in very good order. I think we could field a strong 11 and still rest players. If we don't play Alberto, Allen etc... what is the point in even having the players. They need some games otherwise they'll be rusty and we won't have any good cover.

Well some will get their chance due to our current injury problems so all the more reason to play our main players, whilst our backup players are filling in those places.  We must keep this winning momentum going.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #169: Sep 09, 2013 03:21:05 pm
      Exactly.  I'd much rather qualify for European football by winning something than finishing 4th.

Naturally, if we qualify for the CL by becoming Champions I'd be over the moon.  To aim for 4th place however is aiming to fail.
      I get your point,  we should aim to win the league but I would not complain if we finished 4th.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #170: Sep 09, 2013 03:22:52 pm
      I get your point,  we should aim to win the league but I would not complain if we finished 4th.

We should aim to win everything mate, that's how you win the treble  ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #171: Sep 09, 2013 03:25:24 pm
      Right let's take this bit by bit.

I don't think anybody thinks it is a useless cup

Somebody who doesn't care about the result (won't complain if we lose) sees it as useless cup. Simple way of looking at things for me.

but I am sure he is just afraid that Liverpool will lose players in the league cup jeopardising our league position.

Well we've got a big enough squad to deal with injuries.

I don't think anyone will back you up if you get nasty with people who have a different opinion.

I think you need to re-read this thread then because plenty have backed me up. And I don't really think I've got nasty, it's natural Scouse speak. I've called me best mates a soft c**t before now.

He's relatively new and new people can have misguided opinions.

So we can't tell somebody straight until they've had a 6 month period on the forum? Nah swerve that lad, I've laid into people on their first day - granted they're usually Everton or United fans though.

I can't say his opinion is misguided though

I can. And it is misguided as far as I'm concerned.

he has genuine concern about keeping players fit for priority games.

The priority game is always the next one. Not one in six weeks time. That's like saying, we can "rest" Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard, Agger and Mignolet for the next three months cos the Christmas period is more important. It's nonsense. The priority game is the next one.

I saw you dished out scenarios so here's one. ..Gerrard and Coutinho get injured in the league cup against Manchester United,  we draw against Swansea... miss out on 4th at the end of the season by 2 points.... I am sure most people won't even remember about losing points for a league cup game.

I don't what scenario I've dished out but your's is totally F***ing stupid. If Gerrard and Coutinho get injured in the League Cup, we'd of already F***ing drew with Swansea so missing out on fourth by 2 points won't be the League Cup's fault anyway would it? F**k me.

But the point you're trying to make is mute anyway. There's 38 League games during a season, if we miss out on that oh so great fourth place finish by a mere two points it'll be because we haven't been good enough over 38 games. Not because of one injury picked up in the League Cup. We could pick up injuries at any time in any game - why is it just the League Cup that players need to be protected from injuries in? Also we picked up three injuries in the last round of the League Cup - followed it up with a win over the current Premier League champions. So again, that scenario is totally F***ing stupid.

It's not that we don't want to win

You just don't care if we don't. I get it.

it is that it is nowhere near as important as the league

The important thing is winning the next game. When the League Cup tie comes around that will be the most important thing in the season.

that is as delusional as saying that 4th isn't an achievement.

Another one who thinks fourth is an achievement. It isn't, never has been, never will be, an achievement for Liverpool Football Club.

Oh it's not just an achievement but a massive achievement now. No it isn't. It's an embarrassment for a club of this size to be even considering fourth as something as an achievement.

unless you have had your head up your but for the last 3 seasons.

I haven't and still don't see it as an achievement.

4th is champions league football

No fourth is a Champions League qualifier. Ask Everton if you don't believe me.

which will attract better players for us to challenge for the league.

Like Joe Ledley, Anthony Stokes and Georgios Samaras. Oh how I long for those players compared to the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez.

Go on, surprise us why are you called grandad at 22? Do you wear a cardigan? I ask because one of my friends did so I nicknamed him grandad,  it wasn't a complement... it was his fashion sense.

No I don't wear a cardigan. And to many it won't come as a surprise as to why I'm called Granddad but it's mainly due to the fact that I'd rather listen to the music of the 50s and 60s than today's racket, would rather watch the war time comedy legends than today's over dramatic sh*t, have a much greater knowledge of those days than I do today, have a much more old fashioned look on life than today's modern ways. All in all I was born in the wrong generation.

Either way,  you were pretty rude to CoutinhoRed

Awwwwww diddums. Did he ask you to have a nice word with the "pretty rude" man? And at least I was rude (if I was) to him and not make silly snide remarks to others. If he's old enough to use the forum, he's old enough to get any stick that comes his way and he's old enough to defend himself. He doesn't need you wet nosing him.

having 15k posts doesn't give you any right to do that.

Did anybody say it did?

I've had this attitude from me first post. People on here will happily vouch for that. I've never changed my approach. And I think there's more than enough on here who respect, value and appreciate my opinion.

I don't care if you've got 1 post next to your name or a million and one posts, if you say something I don't agree with I'll tell you straight. If I think you're being a pr**k, I'll say you're being a pr**k. If I think you're a stupid, glory hunting, waste of space, good for nothing c**t, I'll probably call you an Evertonian.

So the 15k posts next to my name have no baring on this situation whatsoever. Why bringing it into the equation is something only you know.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #172: Sep 09, 2013 03:27:53 pm
      Most seasons you can get Europa from finishing 6th in the league,  being 1st now, why would we finish the season lower than 6th? This is coming from someone who doesn't see fourth as an achievement? Doesn't make sense.

Are you really F***ing stupid or are you just having an off day today?

Who has said anything about finishing 6th in the League? In the post you've quoted, the League weren't even mentioned.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #173: Sep 09, 2013 03:35:47 pm
      Are you really f**king stupid or are you just having an off day today?

Who has said anything about finishing 6th in the League? In the post you've quoted, the League weren't even mentioned.
      so now I am f**king stupid? I have no intention of having a debate with you.  Nor should CoutinhoRed or anybody else you sit behind your screen insulting thinking your some kind of virtual bad boy. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #174: Sep 09, 2013 03:43:40 pm
      Jesus Christ, why not we all now agree to disagree?

But before you go referring to people as glory hunting cu*ts, just remember our legend, our boyhood hero who twice tried to force a move to Chelsea football club.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #175: Sep 09, 2013 04:37:40 pm
      As I have mentioned that it would be great to knock the Mancs out of the League cup on their own backyard, we have a couple of important league games ahead of us to concentrate on, It would be great to be say at least half a dozen points ahead of them in the league, giving the side a further morale boost against our enemies from down the road.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #176: Sep 09, 2013 04:43:26 pm
      Jesus Christ, why not we all now agree to disagree?

But before you go referring to people as glory hunting cu*ts, just remember our legend, our boyhood hero who twice tried to force a move to Chelsea football club.

Twice? For starters Gerrard never tried to force anything in 2004 despite the rumours so that's wrong.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #177: Sep 09, 2013 04:47:07 pm
      So.....  5 League cups, or 1 Champions League cup?

#Trolling.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #178: Sep 09, 2013 04:58:59 pm
      Twice? For starters Gerrard never tried to force anything in 2004 despite the rumours so that's wrong.

So Gerrard didn't want the Chelsea move? He made it clear in several interviews that he was considering his future elsewhere. Does that not make him a glory hunter?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #179: Sep 09, 2013 05:04:44 pm

So Gerrard didn't want the Chelsea move? He made it clear in several interviews that he was considering his future elsewhere. Does that not make him a glory hunter?

Bit of an exaggeration though there mate.  You go from claiming he tried to force his way out twice to considering his future. 

No it doesn't make him a glory hunter as he's still with us  ;)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #180: Sep 09, 2013 05:18:59 pm
      Bit of an exaggeration though there mate.  You go from claiming he tried to force his way out twice to considering his future. 

Here you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #181: Sep 09, 2013 05:30:14 pm
      I  hope BR will put on our strongest team.........we have to win this game
      For our confidence we cannot take  this  game less seriously   
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #182: Sep 09, 2013 05:52:38 pm

Trying to denigrate a legend to make a small point is rarely the right way to go CR. You're clearly bruised by your encounter with DLS.

At the risk of appearing unsympathetic - suck it up and move on.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #183: Sep 09, 2013 06:07:15 pm

+1. This is what I appreciate, correcting people without sounding like an angry drunk. People, please follow this example.

Quick Reply