Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 207859 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #1794: Mar 05, 2017 09:22:23 am
      Undoubtedly a fantastic defender but you can't go about breaking club rules left, right and centre. If Klopp had allowed that to go by then his authority would have been undermined and when that happens you basically sign your own resignation letter. If another player did something out of turn and Klopp punished him it would be so hypocritical - just imagine the division it would cause in the team. All the best managers have been strict disciplinarians. It's great to know that Klopp has defined the boundaries even if it sadly meant that a casualty of that was Sakho.

I'm struggling to see how some don't understand this bit.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #1795: Mar 05, 2017 09:53:06 am
      That close control is something else, and the beast doesn't know what a cul-de-sac is.  :lmao:

Shame he's not here.

Ah, I forgot dribbling ability was the key part of a centre backs game.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,495 posts | 232 
      Reply #1796: Mar 05, 2017 06:44:47 pm
      Plus people seem to conveniently forget he had some discipline problems with Rodgers too? Think he came back into pre-season overweight I remember?

Unfortunately he has made his bed.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1797: Mar 05, 2017 07:36:13 pm
      I'm not sure anybody is "conveniently forgetting" anything to be honest. I think pretty much everyone agreed with Jürgen when he bombed Sakho out, but I was simply asking the question as to whether or not it's a "forever" situation.

The thing is with Sakho, when he's good he's very good, and he appears to be a fierce competitor too which is exactly what we need more of. He's 27 which is the age when many a centre half "gets it", and we ain't exactly blessed with other top players in that position.

IF he appears to have got the message, and IF his form at Palace warrants it, would we bring him back? Ever?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1798: Mar 05, 2017 07:36:36 pm
      And as if by magic....http://www.90min.com/posts/4666314-Jürgen-klopp-refuses-to-rule-out-mamadou-sakho-returning-to-liverpool
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1799: Mar 05, 2017 07:38:42 pm
      And as if by magic....http://www.90min.com/posts/4666314-Jürgen-klopp-refuses-to-rule-out-mamadou-sakho-returning-to-liverpool

Nah he's gone mate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1800: Mar 05, 2017 07:38:48 pm
      In fairness having read that article Jürgen is simply refusing to rule anything out or in, but if it were the case that we could only get say 10 million quid for him at the end of the season, I personally would consider bringing him back if it were me. 
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1801: Mar 05, 2017 07:43:33 pm
      In fairness having read that article Jürgen is simply refusing to rule anything out or in, but if it were the case that we could only get say 10 million quid for him at the end of the season, I personally would consider bringing him back if it were me. 

Id have him back in a second, but I assume his sale is making up part of our transfer budget.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1802: Mar 05, 2017 08:33:45 pm
      Really hope Klopp and Sakho can kiss and make up in the summer, and if they don't, despite Sakho being the better player, I would love us to try for a straight swap for Van Dijk.
      DanMann

• 5,788 posts | 892 
      Reply #1803: Mar 05, 2017 11:40:11 pm
      Would have been so much better off with Sakho in defence over January/February..  :mad:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1804: Mar 06, 2017 12:11:44 am
      Be firm about teams rules, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Sakho is paying his penance now, give him a chance Jürgen (unless he just doesn't fit the style of centerback you want).

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1805: Mar 06, 2017 12:35:24 am
      Be firm about teams rules, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Sakho is paying his penance now, give him a chance Jürgen (unless he just doesn't fit the style of centerback you want).

Not sure how true it is but I remember reading about how he was asked by Klopp to go out on loan in the summer with a view to winning his place in the team back if he acts professional and plays well enough. Sakho rejected that idea and thus found himself in the under-23's until this January. I don't know if Klopp has shut the door on him permanently but I seriously don't get how some people don't understand Klopp's firm stance on the situation. The last thing any manager in today's game can afford to do is let the players run a muck and dictate sh*t to the manager about how they're going to behave when on duty.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1806: Mar 06, 2017 12:36:21 am
      Would have been so much better off with Sakho in defence over January/February..  :mad:

It's easy to say that when he wasn't here but let's not forget all the goals we conceded with Sakho in the team too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1807: Mar 06, 2017 12:41:13 am
      Not sure how true it is but I remember reading about how he was asked by Klopp to go out on loan in the summer with a view to winning his place in the team back if he acts professional and plays well enough. Sakho rejected that idea and thus found himself in the under-23's until this January. I don't know if Klopp has shut the door on him permanently but I seriously don't get how some people don't understand Klopp's firm stance on the situation. The last thing any manager in today's game can afford to do is let the players run a muck and dictate sh*t to the manager about how they're going to behave when on duty.

I get it, but you dont think there are different rules for different players? I absolutely think that some players get more slack than others. Doesn't really matter to me, Klopp is free to cut ties with who he wants for whatever reason he wants but when you see managers put up with the antics of and get rewarded by players such as Suarez, Costa, etc.....then Sakho must have murdered someone.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1808: Mar 06, 2017 04:49:40 am

It's the wait until we can see if we can afford another defender first!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1809: Mar 06, 2017 09:03:30 am
      Jürgen being sensible IMHO by not completely closing the door. Sakho on his day is a top player (again IMHO) and has a never say die attitude which we sadly lack. If he continues to absolutely rip it up at Palace and he and Jürgen can find a compromise, bring him back.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #1810: Mar 06, 2017 09:16:44 am
      Lets not make him out to be Franco Baresi.

Great passer of the ball from the back but poor in the air, doesn't have the best positioning and add on top of that he is still capable of plenty of brain farts.
      The odd good game does not mean he is good enough for LFC

And I was one of his biggest fans!

Hopefully the club bring in a upgrade for him and Lovren.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1811: Mar 06, 2017 10:16:36 am
      As in life, sometimes in football you've got to be careful what you wish for. Two seasons ago, with Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli as strikers, we reached two cup semi finals. We bombed out against Villa in one of them, in the other we got beat in extra time after two draws with that seasons Champions, Chelsea. Our centre backs? Sakho and Lovren. 

Last season under Jürgen we reached two cup finals and could very easily have won both. Our two centre backs? Sakho and Lovren.

Sakho and Lovren are both top players IMHO. You've only got to watch our games when Lovren doesn't play to see that, or Palaces games now.

Sakho may not be Baresi, but he sure as sweet f*** ain't Lucas or Klavan or the young kid from Charlton who's just come back from injury either.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #1812: Mar 06, 2017 11:26:33 am
      As in life, sometimes in football you've got to be careful what you wish for. Two seasons ago, with Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli as strikers, we reached two cup semi finals. We bombed out against Villa in one of them, in the other we got beat in extra time after two draws with that seasons Champions, Chelsea. Our centre backs? Sakho and Lovren. 

Last season under Jürgen we reached two cup finals and could very easily have won both. Our two centre backs? Sakho and Lovren.

Sakho and Lovren are both top players IMHO. You've only got to watch our games when Lovren doesn't play to see that, or Palaces games now.

Sakho may not be Baresi, but he sure as sweet f*** ain't Lucas or Klavan or the young kid from Charlton who's just come back from injury either.

Haha the way you make it out Mick we have been winning trophys left right and centre with Lovren and Sakho.

You go on about wanting quality in the team yet seem content on having two average CB's, let's think higher and bring in someone better.
      I don't mind Sakho or Lovren as a second choice.

That's a start to sorting out our defensive issues.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1813: Mar 06, 2017 12:52:35 pm
      These days with what injuries, restings and suspensions, the notion of "first choice, second choice and then the rest" when it comes to central defenders is something of a misrepresentation of what you need IMHO. You really need three FIRST CHOICE centre backs, we have two and if he can reconcile his differences with Jürgen, Sakho given he's as good as our other two is plenty good enough to be the third IMHO.

It's worth remembering that the Sakho/Lovren partnership had to mostly function with Alberto Moreno at left back. Alberto would probably have made the aforementioned Franco Baresi look bad given the opportunity, and deserves a statue building for his contribution after last season Europa League final, obviously outside the Sevilla ground.

My feeling is that Matip as a Jürgen signing has been elevated to exalted status beyond his actual contribution. we STILL concede goals when he plays, and he isn't IMHO appreciably if at all better than our previous two centre backs. Sakho has it in him to be top class I'm convinced of it, and bringing him back and using whatever money is available to strengthen elsewhere makes sense to me. 
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,495 posts | 232 
      Reply #1814: Mar 06, 2017 09:34:50 pm
      All this Baresi talk takes me back to my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAo7TrQ0aXw
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,615 posts | 752 
      Reply #1815: Mar 06, 2017 10:23:48 pm
      How hard is it to kiss and make up? gimme a break
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #1816: Mar 07, 2017 01:26:16 am
      Undoubtedly a fantastic defender but you can't go about breaking club rules left, right and centre. If Klopp had allowed that to go by then his authority would have been undermined and when that happens you basically sign your own resignation letter. If another player did something out of turn and Klopp punished him it would be so hypocritical - just imagine the division it would cause in the team. All the best managers have been strict disciplinarians. It's great to know that Klopp has defined the boundaries even if it sadly meant that a casualty of that was Sakho.

Absolutely bang on mate

Quick Reply