Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

2013-2014 Squad

Read 3836 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,626 posts | 3857 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      2013-2014 Squad
      Sep 03, 2013 12:24:09 pm
      Mignolet, Jones

Johnson, Enrique, Cissokho, Toure, Agger, Skrtel, Sahko, Ilori, Wisom, Kelly, Coates.

Coutinho, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Alberto.

Suarez, Aspas, Sturridge, Moses, Sterling, Ibe

That's bang on 25 players.
      So you might think "great we can only have a 25 man squad".
      6 of the players are U21.
      That leaves a 19 man registered squad.
      Smallest squad in the league.
      2nd youngest, to Aston Villa.

Defensively we've probably never had a better squad.
      I think we could have done with a DM and a attacking option.
      I think we've left ourselves short at keeper too.

As it stands I expect us to see the 3-5-2 used a fair bit this season,
      especially if we need to rest Lucas.

We got a glimps of a Rafaesque feature with Cissokho and Enrique deployed on one side.
      Another sign of having to do things differently because of the lack of funds available.

Once again you can highlight the U21's filling the squad to see where we are light in the squad.
      We are dependant on our front line staying fit.

Slightly worrying that Sturridge always seems to be carrying some sort of injury.
      He's quickly becoming the main man in Suarez's absence.

Interesting times ahead.

If we do well with this squad then I think Brendan needs some massive credit.
      As things stand I'd expect us to line up like this.

Mignolet

Johnson    Skrtel     Agger     Enrique

Henderson     Lucas     Gerrard

Moses     Sturridge     Coutinho

Jones, Wisdom, Sahko, Alberto, Aspas, Sterling, Ibe

Ilori, Kelly

Cissokho - Injured
      Coates - Injured
      Allen - Injured
      Toure - Injured
      Suarez - Suspended
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2013 01:13:00 pm by racerx34 »
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Re: 2013-2014 Squad
      Reply #1: Sep 03, 2013 02:49:13 pm
      Our squad is really good at the moment bar the central midfield

GK: Mignolet, Jones, Ward

RB: Johnson, Wisdom, Flanagan

LB: Enrique, Cissokho

CB: Agger, Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Ilori, Kelly, Coates

MF: Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard

WF: Sterling, Ibe, Moses

AMC: Coutinho, Alberto

ST: Suarez, Sturridge, Aspas
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      2013-2014 Squad
      Reply #2: Sep 03, 2013 03:04:53 pm
      Flanaghan has surly got to drop back down to U21 for the rest of the season as he's not going to get a luck in and it would benifit him to play all the time.

not sure what will happen when Kolo is back as we have 5 CB, with Cissoko to come back as LB cover it could be  a shame but think Kolo might loose out and be palmed off at the end of the season even though so far he's been class. you dont pay 25mil for two new CB to sit on the bench. Ilori will prob start off U21 have a few games back to back to get up to speed then he will be on the bench with Skrtel
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #3: Sep 03, 2013 06:35:04 pm

Still think we're a couple of players short in the attacking areas going by that. Another quality winger as Sterling and Ibe are still in development stages. An attacking midfielder and backup goalkeeper to compete with Coutinho and Mignolet. Then I think we'll have a squad that can comfortably finish in the top 4.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Sep 04, 2013 01:03:50 pm
      The 1 place we look thin if injuries hit or tiredness is the middle. It basically reads Lucas Gerrard Allen Henderson and if stuck Alberto and Toure

Could be worth a look in Jan or maybe a punt on Momo?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Sep 04, 2013 01:50:33 pm
      The 1 place we look thin if injuries hit or tiredness is the middle. It basically reads Lucas Gerrard Allen Henderson and if stuck Alberto and Toure

Could be worth a look in Jan or maybe a punt on Momo?

A punt on Momo? Hasn't he signed for Reading? If we are going to reinforce the centre midfielder area, why not do it with quality? Why resort back to players who we've moved on from the club, along with Juve and PSG? If there is any central midfielder I'd welcome back, it'd be Alonso.

I would say the RB position needs strengthening as well as DM, and most definitely LW after Moses returns to Chelsea. These should be priority positions for next summer or this winter.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Sep 04, 2013 02:08:45 pm
      A punt on Momo? Hasn't he signed for Reading? If we are going to reinforce the centre midfielder area, why not do it with quality? Why resort back to players who we've moved on from the club, along with Juve and PSG? If there is any central midfielder I'd welcome back, it'd be Alonso.

I would say the RB position needs strengthening as well as DM, and most definitely LW after Moses returns to Chelsea. These should be priority positions for next summer or this winter.

Yeah we can't keep going back to the past to answer our concerns for the present and the future. Brendan must forge his own way forward without using the template of Rafa.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      Reply #7: Sep 04, 2013 07:23:09 pm
      Well he has no choice now with the window closed. Had Momo not apparently signed for Reading he was available to sign as cover for Lucas. What that has to do with Rafa I don't know
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,610 posts | 7142 
      Reply #8: Sep 04, 2013 07:58:52 pm
      Well he has no choice now with the window closed. Had Momo not apparently signed for Reading he was available to sign as cover for Lucas. What that has to do with Rafa I don't know
      Couldn't Kelly do a shift  in that position?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,933 posts | 283 
      Reply #9: Sep 04, 2013 08:16:10 pm
      As things stand I'd expect us to line up like this.

Mignolet

Johnson    Skrtel     Agger     Enrique

Good post. I don't believe we will have spend close to 20mill on Sakho to sit on the bench though.
      With that said Toures been probably our strongest player this season, bar Sturridge so a nice problem to have, will he drop the vice captain to have a Kolo-Sahko CB bearing?
      Conundrum.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      Reply #10: Sep 04, 2013 08:26:52 pm

Interesting call that, never considered him there but now you have mentioned it Id like to see how he got on.

But ideally we want proven players in positions not hoping we can convert players?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2013 08:59:26 pm

Possibly but I'd say not for a good few months or possibly not till next season mate.  He's still recovering from a very serious injury that happened not long after a lot of other injuries.  He's nowhere near back to full fitness even playing in the reserves.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2013 09:45:21 pm

If you were to field two teams, you'd struggle! Hendo,  Lucas, and Stevie have already established themselves as our regulars in midfield. Who's to their support? Joe Allen, and that's it. You'd need Toure or Llori to do a shift there if a B team was to be fielded. I haven't got anything against having Sterling as our 2nd winger, as I believe he's got good talent, but Jordon Ibe is too young and hasn't had the experience that Sterling had last season. Happy with our first team, and we are fortunate to not be playing in Europe this season given that our squad is still thin in places.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,042 posts | 537 
      Reply #13: Sep 04, 2013 10:01:08 pm
      See what people are saying about shortage of depth in central midfield, but I don't think it's that bad - Enrique has already shown he can do a similar job to Henderson, and imo Agger would be a good holding midfielder. (On current form he would be the one losing his place to Sahko, so he could well be available to cover there.)

My only real worry in CM would be if Stevie G got injured. We don't have a real alternative to him. But they ain't easy to come by!

Up front, slightly surprised Borini was loaned out - only 2 real goal scorers, one of whom is suspension-prone.
      Slight risk that - anybody know if we have reserved the right to call Borini back if we need him? If so, the loan makes good sense. If not, I'd have kept him.

Other than that I think the squad looks good. We can challenge strongly for top 4 imo.
      Loads of depth at the back now, ditto out wide.
      If Stevie and Sturridge stay fit, and Suarez doesn't bite anybody, we'll do well.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #14: Sep 04, 2013 10:55:27 pm
      If you were to field two teams, you'd struggle! Hendo,  Lucas, and Stevie have already established themselves as our regulars in midfield. Who's to their support? Joe Allen, and that's it. You'd need Toure or Llori to do a shift there if a B team was to be fielded. I haven't got anything against having Sterling as our 2nd winger, as I believe he's got good talent, but Jordon Ibe is too young and hasn't had the experience that Sterling had last season. Happy with our first team, and we are fortunate to not be playing in Europe this season given that our squad is still thin in places.

Granted we aren't able to put out a world class side as a B team.  But I think we've got decent cover and options.  Actually A B team of

Jones

Kelly                              Toure                                                 Sakho                  Wisdom

Allen                                                         Cissoko

Alberto

Moses                                                                                         Sterling

Aspas

Isn't the end of the world.  And really, how often would we have to do such a thing?  If ever, as you point out, without playing in Europe. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,440 posts | 2841 
      Reply #15: Sep 04, 2013 11:38:41 pm
      Even without Europe, an injury to Lucas or Gerrard will completely F**k up our season. Surprised Brendan didn't learn from the first few months of last season where we were totally lost without Lucas and Gerrard struggled as a result.

The depth out wide isn't fantastic either but with Hendo and Coutinho able to play there I'll think we'll get away with that one until January at least.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #16: Sep 05, 2013 12:21:52 am
      Granted we aren't able to put out a world class side as a B team.  But I think we've got decent cover and options.  Actually A B team of

Jones

Kelly                              Toure                                                 Sakho                  Wisdom

Allen                                                         Cissoko

Alberto

Moses                                                                                         Sterling

Aspas

Isn't the end of the world.  And really, how often would we have to do such a thing?  If ever, as you point out, without playing in Europe.

That's some good looking skater there!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,626 posts | 3857 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Sep 05, 2013 09:30:30 am
      Liverpool Squad Submitted to the Premier League

25 Man Senior Squad (Liverpool have 19 senior players)

Overseas/Non-Home Grown Players (Maximum of 17 - LFC have 10 senior overseas players + 1 loaned in)

Daniel Agger
      Iago Aspas
      Aly Cissokho
      Sebastian Coates
      Jose Enrique
      Simon Mignolet
      Lucas Leiva
      Mamadou Sakho
      Martin Skrtel
      Luis Suarez
      Kolo Toure

Home Grown Players (LFC have 7 senior players classed as home-grown players + 1 loaned in)

Joe Allen
      Steven Gerrard
      Jordan Henderson
      Glen Johnson
      Brad Jones
      Martin Kelly
      Victor Moses
      Daniel Sturridge

The reds have no restrictions on Under 21 players and have named over 50 youngsters

LFC Training Wear 2013-14
      Adorjan, Krisztian
      Alexander, Jack
      Baio, Yalany Cuino
      Bijev, Villyan
      Brannagan, Cameron
      Brewitt, Tom
      Burke, Nathan
      Cleary, Daniel
      Coady, Conor David
      Coutinho Correia, Phillippe
      Crump, Ryan
      Dunn, Jack
      Fernandez Saenz De Le Torre, Jesus Joaquin
      Firth, Andrew
      Flanagan, John
      Fulton, Ryan
      Hart, Samuel James
      Ibe, Jordon Femi Ashley
      Ilori, Tiago
      Jones, Lloyd Richard
      Kent, Ryan
      Lussey, Jordan
      Maguire, Joseph
      Marsh, William George
      McLaughlin, Ryan
      Mersin, Yusuf
      Morgan, Adam Joseph
      Mukendi, Henoc John
      Ngoo, Michael
      O'Hanlon, Alex Joseph
      Ojo, Oluwaseyi
      Paez, Rafael
      Pelosi, Marc
      Petersson, Kristoffer Paul
      Randall, Connor Steven
      Roberts, David
      Robinson, Jack
      Robles, Louis Gabriel
      Roddan, Craig
      Romero Alconchel, Luis Alberto
      Rossiter, Jordan
      Sama, Stephen
      Sinclair, Jerome Terence
      Smith, Bradley Shaun
      Sokolik, Jakub
      Sterling, Raheem Shaquille
      Teixeria, Joao Carlos
      Trickett Smith, Daniel Thomas
      Virtue Thick, Matthew Joseph
      Waldron, Dahrius Nathaniel
      Ward, Daniel
      Williams, Michael Jordan
      Wilson, Harry
      Wisdom, Andre
      Yesil, Samed.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2013/liverpool-submit-full-2013-14-squad-list-premier-league/

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #18: Sep 05, 2013 02:19:24 pm
      The area we really needed to strengthen was at the back, and that has been done, with some good competition for places which in a WC year has to be a good thing.  I think our forward area is also on balance better so overall the squad is stronger.

That player list shows a good balance of youth and experience.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #19: Sep 05, 2013 03:29:50 pm
      First XI (not necessarily who I'd choose either)

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

Gerrard Lucas

Henderson Suarez Coutinho

Sturridge

Second XI (again not necessarily the side I'd choose)

Jones

Kelly Sakho Skrtel Cissokho

Allen Alberto

Ibe Moses Sterling

Aspas

Plenty of depth for Brendan to choose from. Especially when you see we've still got a couple of youngsters who can come in and do a job if need be. And to accommodate the occasional injury and/or suspension we can always change the formation, which given the players we've got we should be able to do.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2013 09:03:11 am

From that our defence is stronger and our midfield and attack similar.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2013 10:58:29 am

From that our defence is stronger and our midfield and attack similar.

I would also say we've strengthened in goal too. Mignolet is clearly a better keeper than Reina in this present time. Long may that continue. Our defence actually looks frighteningly good in the centre, but possible a little weak at RB. Johnson is still a donkey when it comes to keeping possession deep inside our own half.

Although I like the players, it's a shame we couldn't send Coates and Wisdom out on loan.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #22: Sep 06, 2013 11:58:11 am
      I would also say we've strengthened in goal too. Mignolet is clearly a better keeper than Reina in this present time. Long may that continue. Our defence actually looks frighteningly good in the centre, but possible a little weak at RB. Johnson is still a donkey when it comes to keeping possession deep inside our own half.

Although I like the players, it's a shame we couldn't send Coates and Wisdom out on loan.

If Coates wasn't injured I have a feeling he would've been moved on before the window shut! Wisdom needs to stay as Johnson's back-up since Kelly isn't 100% match fit yet. Kelly will be another few weeks and I hope then he'll get a crack at CB. He's 23, same age as Sakho. The two could be a massive future first choice pairing!

Quick Reply