Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luis Suarez- It's time to forgive, forget, and get behind him.

Read 22478 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Luis Suarez- It's time to forgive, forget, and get behind him.
      Sep 09, 2013 04:29:38 pm
       During the course of my working week I discuss football with lots of people, of various persuasions in terms of who they support. Mostly there's a bias towards the London teams, but there's also a fairly hard core of Manc supporters as well, with the odd Citeh fan still having sawdust on his shoulders from crawling out of the woodwork. During this bolloxy fortnight where we have to endure seeing Hodgson trying to get England to qualify, most fans are discussing other issues, the main one which is the return of our best player.

It's only when you really listen to fans of other teams that you realise just how much they hate Luis. When you ask them why? They tell it's because he's a racist and they hate racists (he isn't obviously), they tell you it's because he dives and they hate divers (even though their own team inevitably has divers) or they tell it's because he's a "greedy b***ard" (even though their own players earn more), or because he "completely disrespected you lot" as if they care about us. The real reason they hate him of course is because not only is he a fantastic player, he's got the will to win of a warrior and because of that he's box office. They'd all love to have him in their team, and THAT'S why they hate him (along with obviously a fully orchestrated establishment campaign against him, led by the prime minister).

So why should we forget that Luis flashed his knickers at other clubs, if indeed we should? Well, firstly although it got loads of publicity (back to the media campaign against him again) he did no worse than many have done before him. Secondly, his frustration with our owners and the clubs lack of progress was hardly remarkable given most peoples opinions on the forums. Thirdly though, and this is the clincher for me, he and our manager have obviously sorted things out and they clearly have a pact that neither will discuss the terms of the agreement. I'd expect Brendan to stick to it, but Luis has surprised a few and disappointed even more in the media by keeping schtum too.

This is the crux for me. Cameron, the papers, the SKY tossers and the football establishment would love nothing more than the Liverpool fans to turn on him, or even for the Liverpool fans to display indifference towards him. It kills two birds with one stone, it demoralises our best player and it allows them to puff their cheeks out and say they were right all along about the "racist", the "disgrace to the game". How silly were we to back him in the first place they'll tell us, they'll laugh at our fan base for bothering to previously support a guy who simply wants to shaft the club.

Well not for me. I don't believe for one second the verdict of Fergies Kangaroo court, I don't believe for one second that lying c*** Evra. Yes Luis shouldn't have bitten Ivanovic, but I don't believe for one second anyone else in the game would have got a 10 game ban. He's given the club 110% every single time he's pulled on the shirt (aside from pre season this time) and I've no doubt when he comes back he will again. He's our best player, and when he pulls on the shirt he's a red, he's one of us. Others can suit themselves, but I won't be doing the bidding of the FA and filling up the forums with messages telling Luis to f*ck off, nor will I get aboard the bandwagon of fans who refuse to back him as they did previously. Everyone does stupid things sometimes, Luis has done stupid things sometimes, but I think he deserves our support. I'd absolutely love it if after the most concerted media campaign against a player in history, and after some frankly sh!te behaviour in the summer from the player himself, our fans refused to play ball and turn their backs on him. I'll be listening out to the crowd when we play Swansea, and Luis's song booming out would fill me with pride about our supporters. It's time, get behind Luis.         
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Luis Suarez- It's time to forgive, forget, and get behind him.
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2013 05:07:46 pm
      Get behind Luis? Oh, I will, but I'm not expecting many others on here to. Surely he's a glory hunting c**t, who wanted to take the quick route to success no?

Be interesting to hear DLS' opinion on Luis Suarez..
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2013 05:12:19 pm
      Get behind Luis? Oh, I will, but I'm not expecting many others on here to. Surely he's a glory hunting c**t, who wanted to take the quick route to success no?

Be interesting to hear DLS' opinion on Luis Suarez..

He's a Liverpool player so therefore he should get the backing of the fans. 

I agree Mick, we don't play anybody else's games, we back our own.  Always have done and always will do.  I have no doubt his song will be sung at Swansea and every other game he plays for us.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2013 05:16:55 pm
      During the course of my working week I discuss football with lots of people, of various persuasions in terms of who they support. Mostly there's a bias towards the London teams, but there's also a fairly hard core of Manc supporters as well, with the odd Citeh fan still having sawdust on his shoulders from crawling out of the woodwork. During this bolloxy fortnight where we have to endure seeing Hodgson trying to get England to qualify, most fans are discussing other issues, the main one which is the return of our best player.

It's only when you really listen to fans of other teams that you realise just how much they hate Luis. When you ask them why? They tell it's because he's a racist and they hate racists (he isn't obviously), they tell you it's because he dives and they hate divers (even though their own team inevitably has divers) or they tell it's because he's a "greedy b***ard" (even though their own players earn more), or because he "completely disrespected you lot" as if they care about us. The real reason they hate him of course is because not only is he a fantastic player, he's got the will to win of a warrior and because of that he's box office. They'd all love to have him in their team, and THAT'S why they hate him (along with obviously a fully orchestrated establishment campaign against him, led by the prime minister).

So why should we forget that Luis flashed his knickers at other clubs, if indeed we should? Well, firstly although it got loads of publicity (back to the media campaign against him again) he did no worse than many have done before him. Secondly, his frustration with our owners and the clubs lack of progress was hardly remarkable given most peoples opinions on the forums. Thirdly though, and this is the clincher for me, he and our manager have obviously sorted things out and they clearly have a pact that neither will discuss the terms of the agreement. I'd expect Brendan to stick to it, but Luis has surprised a few and disappointed even more in the media by keeping schtum too.

This is the crux for me. Cameron, the papers, the SKY tossers and the football establishment would love nothing more than the Liverpool fans to turn on him, or even for the Liverpool fans to display indifference towards him. It kills two birds with one stone, it demoralises our best player and it allows them to puff their cheeks out and say they were right all along about the "racist", the "disgrace to the game". How silly were we to back him in the first place they'll tell us, they'll laugh at our fan base for bothering to previously support a guy who simply wants to shaft the club.

Well not for me. I don't believe for one second the verdict of Fergies Kangaroo court, I don't believe for one second that lying c*** Evra. Yes Luis shouldn't have bitten Ivanovic, but I don't believe for one second anyone else in the game would have got a 10 game ban. He's given the club 110% every single time he's pulled on the shirt (aside from pre season this time) and I've no doubt when he comes back he will again. He's our best player, and when he pulls on the shirt he's a red, he's one of us. Others can suit themselves, but I won't be doing the bidding of the FA and filling up the forums with messages telling Luis to f*ck off, nor will I get aboard the bandwagon of fans who refuse to back him as they did previously. Everyone does stupid things sometimes, Luis has done stupid things sometimes, but I think he deserves our support. I'd absolutely love it if after the most concerted media campaign against a player in history, and after some frankly sh!te behaviour in the summer from the player himself, our fans refused to play ball and turn their backs on him. I'll be listening out to the crowd when we play Swansea, and Luis's song booming out would fill me with pride about our supporters. It's time, get behind Luis.         

Great OP, Mick, which I agree with.

And I also agree with Debs. I reckon his song will be sang loud and proud against Swansea.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2013 05:28:57 pm
      Forgive, yes,

Back him, yes

Forget, no.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2013 05:37:00 pm
      Forgive, yes,

Back him, yes

Forget, no.

Summed it up quite well Rodders.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Sep 09, 2013 05:49:57 pm
      Already forgiven and forgotten on my part. Hard to argue against his reasons for leaving. Finishing in the positions we have during his time here was never going to keep him happy. He is a top class player who deserves to be at a top class team.

Hopefully with the start we have had to the season we can continue to keep picking up the points and work towards keeping him and our best players happy and wanting to stay at the club.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #7: Sep 09, 2013 05:51:08 pm
      Everyone makes mistakes...

I will back him when he wears the shirt on the pitch and is a LFC player.  Who knows what the future holds?  we might make the champions league this season... he signs on for the rest of his career... we win the CL, the prem league and he retires with us.  20 years from now... there might be a statue of the lad.

Plus, some of you might have had cooling periods with your wives when you two were dating.... you somehow mended it and got married.... Luis could come out of this proper.  The stage is set for him to see what he wants in this relationship. 

Lastly.... let me remind you all.  His intense passion led him to do this... I for one massively enjoyed it.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2013 05:58:40 pm
      We're his last hope, and I think we should get behind him, simply because he is our player and, given any opportunity, the Fergie Association like to play the moral superior and try and damage the club. I think we have most legitimacy to have anger towards the guy, but anyone else who complains is just a hypocrite as bigmick rightly explains.

People drool over John Terry in this country yet he is far more admired, yet what he said was far far worse than Suarez and the media cream themselves over Ryan Giggs despite private revelations revealing he is a far worse human being than Suarez would ever be.

I will of course support the guy when he comes back.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2013 06:00:39 pm
      Everyone makes mistakes...

I will back him when he wears the shirt on the pitch and is a LFC player.  Who knows what the future holds?  we might make the champions league this season... he signs on for the rest of his career... we win the CL, the prem league and he retires with us.  20 years from now... there might be a statue of the lad.

Plus, some of you might have had cooling periods with your wives when you two were dating.... you somehow mended it and got married.... Luis could come out of this proper.  The stage is set for him to see what he wants in this relationship. 

Lastly.... let me remind you all.  His intense passion led him to do this... I for one massively enjoyed it.

That was fookin genius that!! The best "F**k you"" ever (All within the rules like)...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #10: Sep 09, 2013 06:13:32 pm
      Till the day he goes he has my 100% backing even after the summer rumours and stories.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #11: Sep 09, 2013 07:29:55 pm
      Forgive, yes,

Back him, yes

Forget, no.

Pretty much my view too. Any player who plays for this club has my backing whether they're looking to leave or even if they're not playing well and they have some of the fans on their back. Lucas is the epitomy of this in the playing sense. Xabi wanted out albeit under different circumstances and we let him do his thing. Either we finish top four year or Luis leaves and I think we should all resign ourselves to this fact.

Yes I was angry with the way he dealt with things and so everyone should be, but we didn't expect him to stand there and say pretty please did we? These next few months will tell us a lot, and I'm hoping he comes back as good as he was last year so that we can try break back into the top four even though it's not something that should be celebrated as we don't actually win anything. But CL qualification is and should be our aim for now, and let's hope Luis is chomping at the bit (no pun intended :laugh: ) to get back out there and show what he can do.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #12: Sep 09, 2013 08:02:05 pm
      nothing to forgive or forget.Soon as he scores his first hatrick everything will be forgotten.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Sep 09, 2013 08:04:18 pm
      I'll get behind him for what he will bring to the team, we need players of his calibre at Liverpool, and our support could be the difference between him playing his heart out, and half assing it.
      So for purly selfish reasons I'll act like the Summer never happened.

What had changed for me, is that Luis Suarez has lost the right to be called a Liverpool legend, that's not to say he can't earn the title back by staying for years to come and bringing us success.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Sep 09, 2013 08:08:53 pm
      What Rodders said.

Forgive. Yes.

Hope he's his relentless best. Yes.

He'll be gone soon,
      Don't forget that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Sep 09, 2013 08:22:21 pm
      Will never forget, he deemed us not good enough for him and wanted out and was prepared to even go to Arsenal. He may well come out and say he is happy about staying at the club but he is only saying that because he knows that if he doesn't seem positive then he will be training alone again and wont be in the team and therefore damaging his chances of a move away in the next window. The club wouldn't let him leave, he can say he's happy all he wants but he wasn't saying he was happy at the club before the transfer window shut, fact is he wanted out and regardless of how well he does for us I will never forget that he wanted bigger and better things.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #16: Sep 09, 2013 08:26:07 pm
      If he helps us to the champions league this year then we'll forget, believe that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Sep 09, 2013 08:27:49 pm
      If he helps us to the champions league this year then we'll forget, believe that.

Don't be so sure because regardless of making the Champions League or not, clubs will be in for him again next summer.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Sep 09, 2013 08:28:18 pm
      What Rodders said.

Forgive. Yes.

Hope he's his relentless best. Yes.

He'll be gone soon,
      Don't forget that.

Pretty much spot on I think....best case scenario here is he goes on a tear, gets us into CL spot and we can do a Bale with him and get 3-4 top top players before sending him off to Spain.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #19: Sep 09, 2013 08:32:11 pm
      Will never forget, he deemed us not good enough for him and wanted out and was prepared to even go to Arsenal. He may well come out and say he is happy about staying at the club but he is only saying that because he knows that if he doesn't seem positive then he will be training alone again and wont be in the team and therefore damaging his chances of a move away in the next window. The club wouldn't let him leave, he can say he's happy all he wants but he wasn't saying he was happy at the club before the transfer window shut, fact is he wanted out and regardless of how well he does for us I will never forget that he wanted bigger and better things.

Good post and totally agree. If his wish was granted, he'd be playing his trade at a club many perceive as equal to us. He thinks he's bigger than club, which he's not. I'd still support him, but it's Daniel Sturridge who is proving to be main forward at Anfield now. He's been given that opportunity and capitalised very well. Mind you, I'd love Suarez to stay with us for many more years given he doesn't bite anyone again. Still not sure whether he'll be at his relentless best. You need to have that passion for the team to give your everything. Hopefully that's regained.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #20: Sep 09, 2013 08:32:38 pm
      Don't be so sure because regardless of making the Champions League or not, clubs will be in for him again next summer.
      I don't doubt he'll leave next summer, in fact, I'm sure of it but if he does help us to CL and avoids moving to another PL club, then who can complain?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #21: Sep 09, 2013 08:34:00 pm
      He's an idiot, but he's still our idiot.

Forgiven for sure.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #22: Sep 09, 2013 08:35:36 pm
      I would forgive if he was sorry. He is not sorry.

I certainly won't forget.

But get behind him of course. He is part of LFC.

Quick Reply