Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will the result be?

Liverpool win.
      78 (94%)
      Draw.
      4 (4.8%)
      Southampton win.
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Liverpool vs Southampton 21-09-13 1500 BST

Read 18654 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton 21-09-13 1500 BST
      Reply #23: Sep 19, 2013 01:44:04 pm
      Southampton were actually the last team to beat us, just over 6 months ago.

Their high pressing game may suit us at Anfield, leaving plenty of gaps in behind for the pace of Sturridge and Sterling, who I would hand a start to in place of the injured Coutinho.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #24: Sep 19, 2013 02:06:26 pm
      Never forget the time we went to St Mary's, expecting to win and a team led by Harry Redknapp and spearheaded by Crouchie, walked over is from the beginning. By no means is it the same team. In fact, if anything, they are far more dangerous than that occasion. Anyway, they will be a tough act to play, just like Swansea. I expect to come up against a team who will pass it about well, having the technical ability, as well as strength up front through Osvaldo.

Obviously missing Coutinho is a massive loss. For me, I wouldn't play Sterling. Aspas would be my shout, or even Luis Alberto. A win is a win, don't care how we do it.
      They call it St. Mary's these days? I remember when they used to call it the Dell and Le Tissier and i think Le saux were playing really well.  Good to see them back at the Prem. Best of luck to them after we beat them. :)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #25: Sep 19, 2013 02:08:40 pm
      Last season we played a 3-5-2 in a run of games.
      Anzhi, Everton and Chelsea.

Actually yea I remember now our formation when we lost away to Anzhi. I didn't like it but then again we had a fairly weak side out that night. Don't remember us playing that formation in the league though but I've probably blanked out the first four months of last season!
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #26: Sep 19, 2013 02:32:43 pm
      We're at home and we should be winning this game, even without Coutinho. I think the 3-5-2 formation is too cautious, we should be attacking from the off. I'd go with:

Mignolet

Toure   Skrtel   Agger/Sakho   Enrique

Stevie   Lucas

Hendo

Aspas    Sturridge   Moses
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #27: Sep 19, 2013 02:35:16 pm
      We're at home and we should be winning this game, even without Coutinho. I think the 3-5-2 formation is too cautious,

3 5 2 can be as attacking as we want it to be and possibly more attacking than other formations.

Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #28: Sep 19, 2013 02:39:23 pm
      3 5 2 can be as attacking as we want it to be and possibly more attacking than other formations.

Yeah I know what you mean, I just don't see the need to play three center halves. Lambert and Osvaldo don't look great together either.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #29: Sep 19, 2013 02:40:57 pm
      Yeah I know what you mean, I just don't see the need to play three center halves. Lambert and Osvaldo don't look great together either.

It's more our lack of options at RB that I would play 3 5 2.

If we don't always need the 3 centre halves one can step into midfield which makes it even more attacking.

We have the players to make it as flexible as we want.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #30: Sep 19, 2013 02:56:01 pm
      --------------Mignolet--------------
      Hendo--Skrtel----Sahko---Enrique
      ----------Gerrard--Lucas----------
      Sterling-----Alberto-------Moses
      --------------Sturidge--------------

I can see Hendo dropping back with his pace and work rate offering width on the right and want to see what Alberto can do, he was bought to be cover for Coutinho and after the hattrick in the reserves I like to see him given a run out.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #31: Sep 19, 2013 02:57:44 pm

If we don't always need the 3 centre halves one can step into midfield which makes it even more attacking.

I think Toure can cope at RB, he has enough experience. Starting with 3 center halves and 2 wingbacks just invites pressure onto us I think, I see it more as a counter attacking formation. The fact that Gerrard and Lucas sit back as well, just seems too defensive in my eyes.

If we do play 3-5-2 then the key to success is how much the wingbacks put in a shift running back and forward. Also I'd rather we just start a more attacking option such as Aspas or even Sterling instead of moving the extra center back into midfield. If anything bring a CB on when we take the lead and revert to a 3-5-2 during the match, but even that would be a bad idea given our 2nd half performances so far. :-\
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #32: Sep 19, 2013 06:01:44 pm

Exactly what I am thinking. What difference is there between a 4-3-3 with Toure at RB and a 3-4-3 with with Toure as RCB and Henderson and Enrique as WBs? Actually, with 3 CBs we can push Lucas or Gerrard or both a bit higher up and one of the CBs fill the void.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #33: Sep 19, 2013 06:13:40 pm
      There seems to be a real push for three at the back for this weeks game and I can understand the thinking BUT it does seem as though everybody has us pegged to play a 3-4-3 which would be a bit gung no for me. Stevie and Lucas both lack a bit of mobility (as has been discussed on a few occasions) so asking them to do a job against a 3 man saints midfield doesn't strike me as the way forward. You would need the legs of Henderson in there to make it work I think. Three at the back makes sense because A/ we've just upgraded at the CB position and B/ we don't share a great deal of confidence in young Wisdom playing the full back role BUT it's difficult to play three at the back in this league, pretty much every side play with one up top with two wide players (some more narrow than others). Playing a back four matches up well to thsi set up because you can generally have one of your centre halves marking whilst the other sits spare to sweep or pick up midfield runners. Your fullbacks naturally look after the wide forwards and obviously pass them on to the centre-half if they move into more central areas. A back three is far more complex because every side is looking to play between the lines now, with a back three you run the risk of one marking and two sitting spare not knowing exactly who to mark. Centre halves naturally look to stay within the width of the box (unless forced out wide) because that is what they have had ingrained in them ie. defend the goal, let your FBs deal with problems from wide areas. The risk is always that your CBs aren't so keen or comfortable to get out into wide areas which is a requirement if you play three at the back and there is also the issue of your back three becoming a back five if your lung backs are having to track back or get pinned back during phases of play when the oppo have the ball for prolonged period of time.

I would personally be more comfortable with a back four and wonder if it's a good time to bring Kelly back into the mix?
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2013 06:31:06 pm by Scottbot »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34: Sep 19, 2013 07:17:28 pm
      In a nutshell,  Score a couple, stick 2 men on Lambert, and jobs a good un! 3 points.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #35: Sep 19, 2013 10:43:56 pm

Sub Agger in for Sahko if fit, and perhaps Toure in for Wisdom. Everything else I'd keep as is, reckon Alberto deserves a chance after his hat trick for the reserves!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #36: Sep 19, 2013 11:01:59 pm
      I'd definitely have Alberto in the starting line up as he deserves a start and his ability on the ball will be very useful in Coutinho's absence.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #37: Sep 19, 2013 11:11:28 pm
      On current form, and without out craetive maestro in mid field, I see us murdering saints for 45 mins, going 2 - 0 up and then sitting back and getting battered second half, and it ending up 2 - 2.
      Unless of course we go out with a totally different mind set and tactic than we have done so far.
      And thats unlikely.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #38: Sep 20, 2013 04:30:14 am
      I don't know about the other 10 but I'd definitely get Sturridge out there.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #39: Sep 20, 2013 06:22:08 am
      i'm actually a bit nervous about this game.  reason is that we left our swansea game with arguably 45 mins of getting dominated... our 2nd half has been absolutely horrible this season and for the life of me i can not figure out why.  i've and i am sure most of you had played competitive soccer in your life... how does a team become so visibly weaker in 2nd half.  if we are not up with a lead before half time... we are toast.

i can see new strategies used against us... bunker in first half and let loose in 2nd :D

anyways.  i would like to play 4 in the back as i think 3 is too risky.

and i would give ibe a run... i really rate the lad and i think he can creat alot of headaches for their back line... which can only help ease the pressure from our back line
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #40: Sep 20, 2013 06:56:11 am
      Obviously need to turn up for the full 90 minutes, feel Southampton could prove to be a dangerous side, although at home, should be looking to take all three points, to remain top of the table. Think it is far too risky to sit back and defend a goal lead, must try and dominate for full 90 minutes of the game.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #41: Sep 20, 2013 07:48:07 am
      I've had a sh*t week and I can't wait for this game. Said before that it's going to be difficult. They have a good team, technically gifted. We have to be professional and not take the piss. With Coutinho missing, we especially have to be up for it from the beginning. It is also Suarez' last game of the ban.

:)
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #42: Sep 20, 2013 08:15:55 am
      --------------Mignolet--------------
      Skrtle--Sakho----Toure---Enrique
      ----------Gerrard--Lucas----------
      Sterling-----Alberto-------Moses
      --------------Sturidge--------------

I am amazed most are leaving out Toure, he has been a beast for us since joining..! I cannot see why he would be left out..? Also, is Agger back for this one, if so then Sakho should be benched. Alberto as many have said deserves his chance, if he dosent deliver in 60mins bring on Hendo for him. Sterling for Ibe if needed and Moses for Aspas.

Cant see past 3 points here, have to win this one! Arsenal have Stoke, Spurs have an away trip to Cardiff & its the Manc Derby - so there is again an opportunity for us to increase our lead over the other top 4 teams. Plus, we play before them so no pressure! Results go our way and we are already 4 Points ahead of Arsenal, Spurs and 5 ahead of the Manc's... This would be a great place to be this early on. If we can get to 6 points clear of who ever is in 4th by November we will be in a great place.

Looking at Southampton Wanayama will no doubt start and we need to keep a close eye on him - this will be his first opportunity to shine on the Premership stage at this and will no doubt try harder. Davis and Lambert are dangerous up top, but their midfield is a bit weak and we should over run this with consumate ease.

Im going for 3 - 0 for this one, Sutrridge with a brace and Alberto with an absolute Belter
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #43: Sep 20, 2013 09:23:30 am
      I've had a sh*t week and I can't wait for this game. Said before that it's going to be difficult. They have a good team, technically gifted. We have to be professional and not take the piss. With Coutinho missing, we especially have to be up for it from the beginning. It is also Suarez' last game of the ban.

:)
      Hope things get better for you Paul. Any particular thing getting on your nerves? stay calm.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #44: Sep 20, 2013 09:38:37 am
      after watchinh Swansea demolish Valencia maybe the draw wasn't so bad after all.Are their any easy games in the prem I don't think so and this will be a good game to win and remain on top.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Sep 20, 2013 10:06:43 am
      I'd move skittles out to RB bring back Dagger and Toure, play Alberto in Coutinhio's position and 3 points shold be coming our way. We can't have the suicidal 2nd half again though.

Quick Reply