Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool FC Employment Tribunal

Read 3716 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Liverpool FC Employment Tribunal
      Oct 16, 2013 09:39:11 pm
      Liverpool FC chaffeur 'forced out' over blowing whistle on 'tout' executive, tribunal told

A chauffeur at Liverpool football club, who was responsible for driving players, managers, its owners and their families was constructively dismissed after blowing the whistle over allegations of ticket-touting by a club official, an employment tribunal heard.
      Former police officer Dave Sloan occupied a position of “great trust” at the Premiership side but alleges he was side-lined and eventually forced out after raising concerns over illicit ticket sales, the hearing in Liverpool was told.

The lifelong fan, who was present at the Hillsborough disaster, said he grew suspicious after noticing the executive’s bank balance had increased by £40,000.

Mr Sloan, 50, worked for Liverpool for four years having been hired as the former managing director Christian Purslow’s personal driver. He said he would routinely chauffeur players including Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, as well as manager Brendan Rodgers, his wife and Liverpool owner John W Henry and family in the company’s luxury Audi A8.

The tribunal was told that Mr Sloan was part of a special team at the side’s executive HQ responsible for attending to the personal needs of players. Among his tasks were cleaning and filling up young footballers’ cars with fuel whilst others would help finding accommodation for new signings, arranging schools for their children and opening bank accounts.

Bur Mr Sloan alleges that his role was reduced after a change in the management structure and following his decision to blow the whistle on alleged ticket-touting he would often be left “twiddling his thumbs” at the Melwood training ground whilst private contractors ferried the club’s millionaire stars.

He was eventually told to stay at home and brought in only to carry out “menial tasks” such as hoovering and fixing a wall clock for one of the club’s refurbished training ground restaurant, he told the tribunal.

Under cross examination by Lydia Edgar, representing Liverpool FC, Mr Sloan said he had had a good relationship with the executive team. “Sometimes I would take them on social occasions when they had one too many and I would look after them,” he said.

But relations soured following an incident in which he was sent to travel to Ibiza to take a visa to £35m striker Andy Carroll to allow him to join the club’s US pre-season tour.

During the trip it was alleged he had become agitated and sworn three times in front of Carroll, upsetting him. During a disciplinary meeting with bosses in August 2012 he was told that when dealing with players he should “have the patience of a saint”, the tribunal was told.
      http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/liverpool-fc-chaffeur-forced-out-over-blowing-whistle-on-tout-executive-tribunal-told-29666464.html

I am sure Carroll must have been badly shocked to hear bad language for the first time.
      « Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013 09:48:44 pm by RedPuppy »
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Re: Liverpool FC Employment Tribunal
      Reply #1: Oct 16, 2013 09:55:43 pm
      Seems like he was brought in to drive, helped out once or twice when extra people turned up, did a poor job in front of the clubs record signing then moaned when they stopped using him....

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2: Oct 16, 2013 11:04:20 pm
      Seems like he was brought in to drive, helped out once or twice when extra people turned up, did a poor job in front of the clubs record signing then moaned when they stopped using him....

Wouldn't surprise me if this guy was telling the truth.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #3: Oct 16, 2013 11:14:31 pm
      Damage control in overdrive, why would the club want the identity of the employee kept a secret if there was no truth to his claims?.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #4: Oct 16, 2013 11:37:28 pm
      Thing that jumped out at me, 'filling out young players cars with fuel' and 'should have the patience of a saint'. You F***ing what? How out of touch are these people, smacks of arrogance. As for Andy getting upset....I'm sure he heard far worse from the stands during some of his performances for us.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #5: Oct 17, 2013 08:06:54 am
      Thing that jumped out at me, 'filling out young players cars with fuel' and 'should have the patience of a saint'. You f**king what? How out of touch are these people, smacks of arrogance. As for Andy getting upset....I'm sure he heard far worse from the stands during some of his performances for us.

I'm sure he said worse when King Kenny told him he was going to a Boyzone concert with him
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #6: Oct 17, 2013 08:57:24 am
      Just because he's heard worse doesnt mean he should expect the driver sent from his own club to be agitated and swear in front of him.

I'm not saying the club has acted right or wrong.

this guy seems like he was annoyed when purslow left and his role was changed/not used

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Oct 17, 2013 11:48:08 am
      Seemed he gave Ayre an earful as well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Oct 17, 2013 02:41:07 pm
      How did he get access to the club accounts, and why did he do it?

Seems odd to me, because that wouldn't have been part of his job as far as I know.

So, if it wasn't part of his job, what was he doing sneaking around looking at the books?
      Not just once either, otherwise he wouldn't have known that the balance had gone up by 40k.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Oct 17, 2013 03:45:05 pm
      He wasn't sneaking around, he was "routinely asked to go to the cash machine by Mr Haughan, and on one occasion noticed that his balance had increased by “approximately £40,000”, Mrs Edgar said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/liverpool-fc-chaffeur-dave-sloan-forced-out-over-blowing-whistle-on-tout-executive-tribunal-told-8884814.html
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #10: Oct 17, 2013 04:27:36 pm
      He wasn't sneaking around, he was "routinely asked to go to the cash machine by Mr Haughan, and on one occasion noticed that his balance had increased by “approximately £40,000”, Mrs Edgar said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/liverpool-fc-chaffeur-dave-sloan-forced-out-over-blowing-whistle-on-tout-executive-tribunal-told-8884814.html

haha, I missed the bit about the executives bank balance and wrongly assumed it was the club accounts.

That's what I get for scanning instead of reading properly.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #11: Oct 17, 2013 08:53:33 pm
      This is a very strange situation. The club will probably have to carry out a full investigation as, if what he says is correct, it is against Employments laws. However, if what he says is inaccurate, then the club are within their means to carry out the actions.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #12: Oct 17, 2013 11:37:55 pm
      If we are to believe executives of the club are making extra cash by touting tickets,  scandalous..   

Does anyone really think this doesn't happen, ?  Bollocks, of course it happens, probably in every club in the land, and at every level where multiple tickets are accessible.
      No matter what industry you are in, no matter how much you earn, there are always perks, and 99% of those with access take advantage.
      Human nature, however unsavoury and greedy it looks.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,247 posts | 1226 
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2013 01:08:51 am
      If we are to believe executives of the club are making extra cash by touting tickets,  scandalous..   

Does anyone really think this doesn't happen, ?  Bollocks, of course it happens, probably in every club in the land, and at every level where multiple tickets are accessible.
      No matter what industry you are in, no matter how much you earn, there are always perks, and 99% of those with access take advantage.
      Human nature, however unsavoury and greedy it looks.

I don't know the exact details of this case but taking advantage of a perk isn't the same as abusing the system. One is perfectly legitimate, the other potentially unlawful. Ticket touting falls into the latter category.

It's also easy to put the abuse that does takes place down to 'human nature' but the fact is the overwhelming majority of people act within the terms of their employment contracts, don't abuse the system or break the law. To misattribute such abuse to 'human nature' is just a bad excuse for bad behaviour really.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2013 10:34:40 am

It'se not a new thing and has been going on for years, one of the biggest who used to cash in was Bobby Charlton after he left Utd, was well known for always selling his cup final tickets for cash.

Plus the club is effectively ticket touting every time they give tickets away to Thomas Cook!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #15: Oct 20, 2013 12:26:54 am
      All said and done, think they earn enough from the club without the extra perks. And yes, I agree, it is illegal, and if it were one of us, I suppose we'd be prosecuted and possibly banned from the club, or at least from getting future tickets. I was out of line making light of the situation, especially considering the position they are in, and for that, I hope the chauffeur gets a result. My apologies.

Quick Reply