Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

A good problem to have...

Read 5366 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: A good problem to have...
      Reply #23: Sep 05, 2013 12:50:53 pm
      With Ilori, Sakho etc, we're now seeing an injection of real pace in the defence.
      Which was not the case with Carra. I wonder if this will translate to the defensive line pushing higher up the field.
      This would allow for intricate midfield play, followed by passes releasing Suarez, Sturridge etc

Would allow some interesting pressing options.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Sep 05, 2013 01:43:41 pm
      Its a strange situation. After Lucas we hardly have any ballwinners at the club. (I dont count Allen, and I think it isn't an ideal position for Stevie G).

Perhaps there is a case for a back 3 plus 2 wingbacks?
      I think Sakho can be very good. I was never critical of Skrtel. My guess was this his fitness wasn't right late last yr. And perhaps Rodgers was scapegoating him a little. Skrtel was fantastic the year before, altho he does have some limitations. I've got little doubt that Fenway are trying to shift on Skrtel or  Agger (maybe both?). Toure is past his best, and there is a question mark over how his fitness will stand up, likewise with Cissoko. Ilori is one for the future. And I wonder what will happen with Kelly and Wisdom.

So we have Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Toure, Ilori, Sakho, Kelly for centre back. Then Enrique, Johnson and Cissoko for fullback (I won't count Robinson and Flanagan for now).

Toure is short term, Coates is clearly to be moved out.
      So my suspicion is that atleast one more will leave. BR might  want Skrtel out before Dagger. But I think its clear Ayre would like to sell  Dagger.

Can't say I'm a big fan of dramatic changes for the sake of it. I wonder what our defensive squad will be this time next year...

The other way is to say there will be 4 centrebacks and 4 fullbacks in the squad long term. That would mean 2 of the squad leaving.
      Toure and Coates being the most obvious.

My 1st choice? I really don't know.

Johnson (altho he's sometimes defensively suspect), Agger, Sakho stand out.

Skrtel is certainly a possible. Kelly as cover at RB.
      I'm actually a fan of Enrique, altho he does have minor shortcomings.

Toure is hard to judge. Ilori, I think will be blooded in more slowly over a few months.

If ayre wants to force agger out, why was he given a new contract last year, and made vice captain this year?

Toure, barring injury, has at least 2 probably 3 seasons left in him at the top, and we also have to remember his training role with the younger players or those who are adapting.

Players who don't fit in with the managers plans will always be moved on, and I don't see a problem with this.
      It's the same at every club, and much as I like skrtel, he doesn't play a high line well at all, whereas with coates it just seems a matter of bottle and awareness/reading of the game.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: Sep 05, 2013 02:29:32 pm
      Its a strange situation. After Lucas we hardly have any ballwinners at the club. (I dont count Allen, and I think it isn't an ideal position for Stevie G).

Perhaps there is a case for a back 3 plus 2 wingbacks?
      I think Sakho can be very good. I was never critical of Skrtel. My guess was this his fitness wasn't right late last yr. And perhaps Rodgers was scapegoating him a little. Skrtel was fantastic the year before, altho he does have some limitations. I've got little doubt that Fenway are trying to shift on Skrtel or  Agger (maybe both?). Toure is past his best, and there is a question mark over how his fitness will stand up, likewise with Cissoko. Ilori is one for the future. And I wonder what will happen with Kelly and Wisdom.

So we have Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Toure, Ilori, Sakho, Kelly for centre back. Then Enrique, Johnson and Cissoko for fullback (I won't count Robinson and Flanagan for now).

Toure is short term, Coates is clearly to be moved out.
      So my suspicion is that atleast one more will leave. BR might  want Skrtel out before Dagger. But I think its clear Ayre would like to sell  Dagger.

Can't say I'm a big fan of dramatic changes for the sake of it. I wonder what our defensive squad will be this time next year...

The other way is to say there will be 4 centrebacks and 4 fullbacks in the squad long term. That would mean 2 of the squad leaving.
      Toure and Coates being the most obvious.

My 1st choice? I really don't know.

Johnson (altho he's sometimes defensively suspect), Agger, Sakho stand out.

Skrtel is certainly a possible. Kelly as cover at RB.
      I'm actually a fan of Enrique, altho he does have minor shortcomings.

Toure is hard to judge. Ilori, I think will be blooded in more slowly over a few months.

I can't see Agger going anywhere, especially if we get a Champions League finish this season. He's signed a new contract recently (not like that means a lot nowadays!) and he's obviously recently been made vice captain. Unless a big money offer comes in, I don't see the reason to sell him. Can't see Toure leaving either, great start to the season and his experience is invaluable. That being said, we need to see if Sakho plays, and how he plays, which could leave Toure with limited chances.

I can see Skrtel going out of the CBs, in fact I can see him leaving in January if he doesn't regularly start. Straight to Napoli with Rafa and I'd be happy if we got £8-10m for him. He's good backup to have and I'm against selling him as it is a good problem to have, but I think the club will cash in and invest elsewhere. Tbh I don't really care, as long as we improve as a unit and invest any money received from sales back into the squad. If Rodgers is planning on moving one of the CBs on, as long as he's got someone else in mind to bring in I fully support him.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #26: Sep 05, 2013 02:32:52 pm
      I wouldn't leave Toure out. We can't have an almost completely new defence. He may have lost a yard ot two but he knows practically every player in the PL and he will privide valuable advice to the new players.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #27: Sep 05, 2013 06:14:20 pm
      If ayre wants to force agger out, why was he given a new contract last year, and made vice captain this year?

Toure, barring injury, has at least 2 probably 3 seasons left in him at the top, and we also have to remember his training role with the younger players or those who are adapting.

Players who don't fit in with the managers plans will always be moved on, and I don't see a problem with this.
      It's the same at every club, and much as I like skrtel, he doesn't play a high line well at all, whereas with coates it just seems a matter of bottle and awareness/reading of the game.

Yeah don't know where the Agger/Ayre thing is clear at all, actually its the first I've heard about this.

Was Ayre walking outside Melwood with a sandwich board saying "Agger is Out" or something or was it in London?  ???
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Sep 05, 2013 06:22:49 pm
      Yeah don't know where the Agger/Ayre thing is clear at all, actually its the first I've heard about this.

Was Ayre walking outside Melwood with a sandwich board saying "Agger is Out" or something or was it in London?  ???

Aye, probably at the same time as gillette was doing it, in conjunction with some dodgy indian journo's ;)
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #29: Sep 08, 2013 01:47:34 pm

1st problem is, Toure is NOT at the top. He was surplus to requirements at Man City, admits he's lost mobility. Oh... and he's currently injured. Robbie |Fowler has genius footballing skills, but he'd struggle in League One as a player. Likewise, there are question marks over Cissoko.. who is also injured.

The problem is that players are being moved on because they don't fit in with businessmen's plans. NOT footballing reasons.

This is all a lot like the day that Mignolet signed. Some said "ohh great cover for Pepe". And then Pepe is forced out against his will...
      As Fenway had been trying for a LONG time.

So we have about 7 centrebacks, 3 fullbacks, plus "juniour" fullbacks.

Its looking like Carra for Toure. Ilori for Coates. Toure remains to be seen. Ilori looks ok as one for the future. Sakho should be a good player. Cissoko has major fitness concerns.

Its pretty well known that Fenway have been crying about Skrtelo, Agger AND Johnson re their wages and a desire to sell them, for long time.

Used right, Skrtel is a very good player, as shown in Kenny's last year AND for instance, vs the Mancs this year.

My suspicion is that the best back 4 would be:-
      Sakho (LB), Skrtel and Agger (centrally) Kelly or Johnson (RB)

Coates and Cissoko leave. Toure fits in as and when.
      Ilori is focused on as one for the future. I'm not sure about Enrique.

It would be nice to have footballing reasons alone will dictate what our chosen 8 or so defenders will be.
      But I doubt that will be the case.

THere is rather a smell of amateurism and "decision by committee" ie Ayre, Fenway and co meddling in the transfer process here.
      And one thing is abundantly clear. That is that there will be a "culling" of defenders at the club. I just hope that the right ones are culled.

To me, the big question isn't how well these players will perform. It is what Fenway have planned for the squad in the next Winter and Summer windows.

Finally, as for that comedian Ayre calling Sakho a "marquee" signing, I think that sums up the kind of individual he is... :roll:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Sep 08, 2013 02:41:39 pm
      I think it's up to those new players to break thru and make the spot their own,
      Toure will be fit for the swans match so will retain his place alongside Agger, if Glen fails to make it I would expect Andre to cover with no change at LB,

Sakho, Ilori, Skrtel, Cissokho will have to work their f***in balls off to break into the side although one or two may make the bench, what message would Brendan be given out if new lads were drafted straight in to replace those already considered 1st choice,

Like most sides keeping your best players happy is key to a harmonious 'group',
      They're all professional sportsmen so will accept that hard work is tantamount to making a place their own,

This season is particularly difficult having only domestic targets to aim for, and reaching a CL spot the ultimate target,

Despite his brilliant performance V scum I think Martins like Coates days are numbered, and both are very much aware that they are likely to be moved on probably in Jan,

With Brendan's faith in Andre & Kelly the cover is already in place,
      So if all are fit and raring to go next Monday I'd go with ;

Mignolet
         Johnson. Toure. Agger. Jose
                  Gerrard. Lucas
           Aspas.   Coutinho.  Henderson
                        Sturridge

Never change a winning side as they say.

YNWA

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #31: Sep 26, 2013 10:22:02 pm
      It's a good problem to have if the manager sorts our quickly both which defenders he wants to play and in which system.

I like the three at the back and think it suits our squad very well and the players at the back grew into the system as the game went on last night.

For me Agger doesn't get back in the side in a 2 or a 3 at the back as Sakho has looked very good, Skrtel has been solid and Kolo has been very impressive as well since he's been here.

Big decision for the boss when Agger is fit.
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #32: Sep 26, 2013 10:37:43 pm
      DO you think Agger could be deployed as a holding midfielder, i for one would be willing to try him out.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #33: Sep 26, 2013 10:42:18 pm
      DO you think Agger could be deployed as a holding midfielder, i for one would be willing to try him out.

I think he could and is another option in the Lucas/Gerrard debate but I'm not sure he'd be any better than those in the midfield positions.

Playing three at the back allows one of the defenders to step into midfield anyway which, in thoery, should allow one or both of the midfield two to push up as well.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #34: Sep 27, 2013 09:25:54 pm
      I wonder if llori will make an appearance soon, surprised he didn't make the squad against the mancs.

Quick Reply