Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151413 times
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #138: Sep 30, 2013 07:44:28 am
      First time i've looked at this thread was this morning & i have to say i'm flabbergasted tbh
      Do people really think Jordan Henderson is a better bet than Steven Gerrard??????

Whoever honestly thinks that should seriously think about watching an alternative sport imo
      Gerrard may not be scoring as many 25 yarders as he once did but his influence on not only
      the game but the club is greater than ever. Henderson or any other player on at our club
      would crumble under the pressure of trying to fill his boots.

Drop Steven Gerrard & you open a car of worms you seriously don't want to open.
      All of Europe's top manager's would take him in a heartbeat & we would be damaged for EVER..

Do you seriously think Suarez would have listened to what Jordan had to say re him staying?

Gerrard is Irreplaceable to our club simple as that..
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #139: Sep 30, 2013 08:00:45 am
      I don't know how I continue to take a look at this thread
       Why some are trying to say '""gerrard is finished,he is too slow, he is not fit,he is not up to it etc etc""
        I am sure if he  himself feels that he is one of those things, he himself will talk to BR  about it, He loves this club that much
         And to think BR don't have the guts to drop gerrard if needed is rediculous in my opinion
      --------------------------------

So I think for next game against Palace LIVERPOOL are without Lucas  after 5 yellows,  would love to see Alberto start with Stevie and hendo or Allen  in midfield

ynwa
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #140: Sep 30, 2013 08:12:56 am
      Love him. If he's fit, he starts. Simple.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #141: Sep 30, 2013 08:32:27 am
      What a horrible but necessary thread this. Nobody wants to think about life after Gerrard because he's been part of the woodwork here for so long, half of my time supporting the Reds in fact. A lot of the guys on this forum have only known a Liverpool team with Gerrard in it.
      Gerrard is far from being done, but I just don't think he's able to be the Gerrard of old in every game this season.
      Come January FSG have to make A gerrard replacement their No1 target, regardless of the fecking cost, its too big a player to replace on the cheap.
      For sure Stevie would benefit from being rested in certain games, Pity we didn't strengthen the midfield in the Summer though.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #142: Sep 30, 2013 08:50:10 am
      No one can deny that Gerrard has to be part of this club for a long time to come and we need his presence on the field because quite frankly no one comes close to replacing him, definitely not from within our squad and I can't find any footballer from outside who is both as capable and available. However, I believe the time has come when he can't play the single minute of each match and needs to be given an odd break here and there. One thing that's stopping us from taking him off after 70 minutes or so is our inability to finish off the games. This is one area of our squad which I would like to address immediately in the coming transfer window.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #143: Sep 30, 2013 09:10:58 am
      They haven't been playing that well as you say mate which is why the debate came about in the thread Mick started abd this one started by myself.

The whole point of a discussion forum is to debate such issues and many of us see a problem in the two as far as how well they have blended together this season and how an apparant lack of fitness and mobility has been very obvious against a few teams in the last few weeks.

I don't see it as moaning for the sake of it from Mick, myself or anyone else who's questioned the two together but what I will say is that I'll be delighted to be proven wrong as both are two of my favourite players in the squad.

Ay I get that mate and my post wasn't aimed at either you or Mick. My point was more aimed towards yesterday's game. Gerrard was getting singled out as poor during the game and he wasn't that bad. A hand in two goals but people singling him out when others were doing worse.

For their goal there is a strong argument that if Allen was in either Stevie's or Lucas' position then Ki doesn't get his shot off.

For me the system doesn't do either any favours though.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #144: Sep 30, 2013 09:43:44 am
       The only reason we need to talk about Gerrard is to than our lucky stars we've got him, and to ask ourselves who is going to be the best midfielder to compliment him going forward into the rest of this season and next.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,269 posts | 4935 
      Reply #145: Sep 30, 2013 11:02:57 am
      The only reason we need to talk about Gerrard is to than our lucky stars we've got him, and to ask ourselves who is going to be the best midfielder to compliment him going forward into the rest of this season and next.

If that is the case Mick and Gerrard needs to play then the man beside him definitely can't be Lucas.

Against the likes of Sunderland we'll be ok but it's when we face a good midfield that the combination, and limitations of it, become more obvious.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #146: Sep 30, 2013 01:26:40 pm

We need to be looking for his replacement.
      Count our lucky stars he came through the academy,
      because it will take a 30-40M player to step in afterwards.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #147: Sep 30, 2013 01:33:31 pm
      Ay I get that mate and my post wasn't aimed at either you or Mick. My point was more aimed towards yesterday's game. Gerrard was getting singled out as poor during the game and he wasn't that bad. A hand in two goals but people singling him out when others were doing worse.

For their goal there is a strong argument that if Allen was in either Stevie's or Lucas' position then Ki doesn't get his shot off.

For me the system doesn't do either any favours though.

He certainly wasn't poor, as some suggest.
      I think one of the main problems is that we have become used to him being excellent, and when his form slips it's magnified.

For me though, he's not anywhere near 100% physically.
      When he gets back up there, we'll see an upturn in his form.
      He certainly looked more mobile yesterday than he has for a few games, but I still don't see him putting in full sprints, and by that I mean really stretching his legs and going for it, rather than just the fast jogging, so for now I'm sticking with my theory that he's carrying a niggling injury. Not bad enough to stop him playing, but enough to restrict him a bit.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #148: Sep 30, 2013 01:34:21 pm
      unfortunately for him he is being judged by his standards when he was a match winner all on his own.But he is playing a different role now and I think he is doing just fine,who else could have picked out that pass to Sturridge and put it on a sixpence Daniel didn't even have to break his stride.
      Nurture him and keep him fit and healthy because we will never see another one
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #149: Sep 30, 2013 01:35:01 pm
      We had this with Carra for years, he would have one or two off games and he would be 'past it'.  Seems to me we apply different standards to players in their early 30s, when other players play badly its a bad day at the office, when Stevie has an off day he's past his best and no longer good enough for the first team.
      Seems to me the facts simply do not support this view and to me, he's still amongst our best 3 players most games.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #150: Sep 30, 2013 09:32:14 pm
      So we're having the best start in years and are second in the league... Now seems like a really good time to drop our captain and the face of the club... Wait WHAT?! Honestly some people think this is as easy as replacing a player on Fifa with someone younger who's stats will grow quicker if he plays now rather than when he's ready.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #151: Oct 01, 2013 11:27:56 am
      For all those interested in this debate about Stevie, I strongly recommend listening to the latest Anfield Wrap podcast, some excellent points made on there regarding what his position should be and how we will cope if he picks up an injury for an extended period and force the team to play without him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,269 posts | 4935 
      Reply #152: Oct 01, 2013 11:28:30 am
      For all those interested in this debate about Stevie, I strongly recommend listening to the latest Anfield Wrap podcast, some excellent points made on there regarding what his position should be and how we will cope if he picks up an injury for an extended period and force the team to play without him.

It was interesting.

Centre back anyone?
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #153: Oct 01, 2013 12:24:52 pm
      The fact that this thread has 6 pages to our best every player and captain is truly embarrasing. Football fans are the most fickle fuckers ever, thank god every manager in the country disagrees with us, from the England manager to the top managers in Europe....
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #154: Oct 01, 2013 12:50:14 pm
      The fact that this thread has 6 pages to our best every player and captain is truly embarrasing. Football fans are the most fickle fuckers ever, thank god every manager in the country disagrees with us, from the England manager to the top managers in Europe....
      It was even worse in the run up to the transfer window...some were demanding the board's resignation after they refused to spend £30 million for Willian. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #155: Oct 01, 2013 12:55:29 pm
      It was even worse in the run up to the transfer window...some were demanding the board's resignation after they refused to spend £30 million for Willian.
      Quit being a dick.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #156: Oct 01, 2013 12:57:38 pm
      calm down dear, it's only a football forum  :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #157: Oct 01, 2013 01:01:09 pm
      Like I said: quit being a dick. 
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #158: Oct 01, 2013 01:04:01 pm
      Irony at its best. Bravo sir.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #159: Oct 01, 2013 01:10:49 pm
      Okay, different tack then - if you weren't trying to be a dick; what did you hope to achieve by your sniping?  :confused-smiley-013:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #160: Oct 01, 2013 01:12:02 pm

Do you know the definition of irony? It appears not.

Quick Reply