Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 153656 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,521 posts | 3462 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #253: Oct 16, 2013 10:20:02 am
      glad the qualifiers are don so he can concentrate on the important stuff
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #254: Oct 16, 2013 12:37:52 pm
      glad the qualifiers are don so he can concentrate on the important stuff
      Agree mate Club before country for me any day of the week, all our players back safe and sound and he got a goal which is always a joy to see.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #255: Oct 16, 2013 02:09:59 pm
      Yea he looked like the Stevie G of 4 years ago last night bursting forward creating chances at every opportunity and then scoring.
      I think his deep lying play maker role he plays for us now has a lot to do with the manager wanting to build attacks and not just hit teams on the counter attack. Also I think BR wants Stevie on the pitch for the full 90 mins every game and at his age thinks he can't play the attacking midfield role effectively for that length of time. Or perhaps it's because he doesn't want Lucas to be exposed in the middle over his lack of pace.

Either way I hope BR took note of Stevie's performance last night and plays him in the no. 10 role against Newcastle cus he is clearly still up for it!

Absolutely! Gerrard 100% still has the qualities to hang around the front players.

Get him up there, get him in the box!! He's F***ing amazing. I adore the man.
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #256: Oct 16, 2013 08:54:49 pm
      I watched the England game last night too, and was struck by SG's enthusiasm and energy which seemed to be far more apparent then when he plays alongside Lucas. Is this because he is much more comfortable playing further forward, or is it because the prize of getting to Brazil next year means so much to him? I honestly don't know.

Edited for spelling....
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #257: Oct 17, 2013 10:36:32 am
      Do we think he will retire from football completely after the world cup or do you think he's got another few seasons after the world cup?

I hope he can play for another season or two after the world cup but it must be close as he's going to be 34 after the world cup, so probably got 1, 2 seasons after that. More of a reason to have Henderson or another learning their craft alongside one of the best before he retires and we are left with a void to fill. For me Henderson if he starts working on shooting and scoring goals could be a great player for us.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #258: Nov 01, 2013 10:14:39 am
      He's going to have Wiltshire (if he starts) in his pocket. SOOOOOO pumped up for this game I cant wait come on 3pts in the bag.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,521 posts | 3462 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #259: Nov 01, 2013 10:32:24 am
      He's going to have Wiltshire (if he starts) in his pocket. SOOOOOO pumped up for this game I cant wait come on 3pts in the bag.
      or more likely being overrun in midfield and Stevie and Lucas blowing steam after about 60 minutes.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #260: Nov 01, 2013 10:40:24 am
      or more likely being overrun in midfield and Stevie and Lucas blowing steam after about 60 minutes.
      haha lets hope not hay, BR should just say to Henderson kick all of the midfielders.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #261: Nov 03, 2013 12:00:05 am
      Yes.

We do still 'Need to talk'

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,941 posts | 285 
      Reply #262: Nov 03, 2013 12:09:07 am
      How can people state the effort from our midfielders was crap today when it was 3v5. They didn't have a chance. Cissokho and Flanagan didn't offer any support  to bulk it up to 5 in midfield as 1) Cissokho is crap 2) Flanagan isn't a wing back.

Yes Stevie didn't have a great game, but its just as easy to state Henderson lost us 2 points. He should have scored on both occasions he attempted a shot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #263: Nov 03, 2013 12:11:40 am
      How can people state the effort from our midfielders was crap today when it was 3v5. They didn't have a chance. Cissokho and Flanagan didn't offer any support  to bulk it up to 5 in midfield as 1) Cissokho is crap 2) Flanagan isn't a wing back.

Yes Stevie didn't have a great game, but its just as easy to state Henderson lost us 2 points. He should have scored on both occasions he attempted a shot.

It was 3v5 for vast parts of the game but it doesn't disguise the fact that our midfield has probelms and has had virtually since game one this season.

My point about 'talking' about Gerrard isn't just about todays game as I've been taking about it for a while now.

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #264: Nov 03, 2013 12:17:11 am
      It was 3v5 for vast parts of the game but it doesn't disguise the fact that our midfield has probelms and has had virtually since game one this season.

My point about 'talking' about Gerrard isn't just about todays game as I've been taking about it for a while now.

Mourinho takes off Lampard when he's looking tired in midfield. Rodgers needs to do that with Gerrard in games like tonight after 75 mins if he's not doing great and give Allen a go. The problem is Rodgers doesn't feel strong enough in his position to annoy Gerrard by subbing him when he's clearly looking leggy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #265: Nov 03, 2013 12:20:44 am

Mourinho takes off Lampard when he's looking tired in midfield. Rodgers needs to do that with Gerrard in games like tonight after 75 mins if he's not doing great and give Allen a go. The problem is Rodgers doesn't feel strong enough in his position to annoy Gerrard by subbing him when he's clearly looking leggy.

We may as well get used to it as Brendan will not sub Gerrard off or drop him out of the side.

On second thoughts I've no idea why I bothered to start this thread as I know nothing is going to happen.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #266: Nov 03, 2013 12:24:37 am

He was constantly out of position today.

In fact so many players were arsey and moaning and not really doing their jobs.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #267: Nov 03, 2013 12:26:42 am
      We may as well get used to it as Brendan will not sub Gerrard off or drop him out of the side.

On second thoughts I've no idea why I bothered to start this thread as I know nothing is going to happen.

It might happen next year when Gerrard is a year older and clearly coming to the end, but it won't happen this season. That's if Rodgers has earned the right to be here next season.  ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #268: Nov 03, 2013 12:27:16 am

In fact so many players were arsey and moaning and not really doing their jobs.

Did seem a bit of disharmony didn't there. Saw Toure barking at the midfielders, Sturridge screaming at Suarez (with some justification some would probably say) and a couple of other moments of glared looks.

Probably just down to frustration at getting a bit bossed, certainly the cracks started to show quicker than you'd expect after our start to the season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #269: Nov 03, 2013 12:30:09 am

I think he is almost always out of position this season Swab playing the role he has been.

As uch as Lucas can be criticised for a lack of mobility he knows his position and is generally where you would expect to find him when you watch the game.

If Gerrard has to play every game, which it appears he does, then I'd play him right behind the forward line with no definsive duites at all. Play Allen and Lucas behind wiht a front three of  Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #270: Nov 03, 2013 12:30:15 am
      Did seem a bit of disharmony didn't there. Saw Toure barking at the midfielders, Sturridge screaming at Suarez (with some justification some would probably say) and a couple of other moments of glared looks.

Probably just down to frustration at getting a bit bossed, certainly the cracks started to show quicker than you'd expect after our start to the season.

I thought Sturridge's amateur dramatics when Suarez shot for himself went on a bit too long. He was almost acting for the camera. Even though Suarez was greedy.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #271: Nov 03, 2013 12:35:05 am

I thought Sturridge's amateur dramatics when Suarez shot for himself went on a bit too long. He was almost acting for the camera. Even though Suarez was greedy.

Yep agree, could see Suarez gave him a look that said the pass wasn't on and I actually agree with him. Those things always look worse as the striker stops and everyone keeps running showing him in acres of space but to score was no harder than it was to feed that pass, so on that occasion I agreed with Suarez.

As you say the length of the protest was held as if to make a point, but for now I'm just putting it down to frustration of the day.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #272: Nov 03, 2013 02:25:43 am
      For me it's pretty simple, you either push him further up the pitch and tell him not to bother defending too much or you stick someone who can actually run alongside him. I'm a Lucas fan but let's face it, he's lost so much pace because of injuries. Lucas and Gerrard are just too slow for this league.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #273: Nov 03, 2013 06:25:53 am
      Gerrard's best position was behind the striker, but he seems to be a deep lying playmaker these days which (a) doesnt suit our playing style and (b) leaves our midfield lacking mobility.
      If we push him forward, he will have more freedom to pass and move and create scoring opportunities. It will also save his legs coz only a hand full of teams actually play out from their defence and this would give him less responsibility ito tracking back.

My problem is that Gerrard is a goal scoring midfielder and currently he is playing in positions which make it difficult for him to get goals... i mean when last have you seen him take a shot at goal? Before last season there would be a Gerrard shot or volley in every game at least.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #274: Nov 03, 2013 08:58:22 am
      Why would we move Gerrard forward? It doesn't make sense. We haven't got that defensive cover in midfield in order to give Gerrard that sort of freedom. Unless you didn't know, we sold Alonso and Mascherano a little while ago.

The idea is to play Coutinho in that position, with a midfield duo behind him. Gerrard, Lucas, and Hendo shouldn't even be getting in the team. Only reason as to why we're inside that top four is because of our strike force. Without them we'd be fighting with the likes of Cardiff City and Fulham.

How Lucas has been selected for the Brazil squad is beyond me.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #275: Nov 03, 2013 12:25:26 pm
      Why would we move Gerrard forward? It doesn't make sense. We haven't got that defensive cover in midfield in order to give Gerrard that sort of freedom. Unless you didn't know, we sold Alonso and Mascherano a little while ago.

The idea is to play Coutinho in that position, with a midfield duo behind him. Gerrard, Lucas, and Hendo shouldn't even be getting in the team. Only reason as to why we're inside that top four is because of our strike force. Without them we'd be fighting with the likes of Cardiff City and Fulham.

How Lucas has been selected for the Brazil squad is beyond me.

The idea may well be to play Coutinho there, but as for now our best player over the last 10+ years is coming towards the end of his career, whilst he's losing his legs I remember not too long ago Ashley Cole said Gerrard is still one of the fastest players in the England squad in an interview this year.

If we play Gerrard further forward we can still play Cou - out wide, which while he's still young may help his development in this country. Gerrard knows the game well here and can still create chances, in being further forward he can also get more shots of at goal and he is still one of our best finishers. I'd actually advocate bringing a first choice anchor man in to protect the defence instead of Lucas, not too sure who as most of the obvious names we couldn't get.

Henderson has a great passing range - if he is a little timid to use it, but I think as he matures he will start to use it more, he is 23...but his energy will be very useful next to another one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1. Say he played next to Masch when he was here, we could easily have a situation when Masch made a tackle but Alonso wasn't quick enough to pick up the pieces and start an attack. I'm not saying Hendo is anywhere near Alonso's level, but he could potentially play a similar role for us.

Lucas can play as backup, better than average player, I'd prefer him to Cattermole ;) but not regular starting lineup material.

Quick Reply