Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 152714 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #782: Mar 28, 2014 11:46:38 am
      Why do you keep following me around yapping witless abuse? I must have really upset you.

I think the word you're looking for, at it's purest form, is you annoy people, which is more down to your abrasive posting-style.  I don't think you've upset anyone, ever, but you can keep on trying, as it seems to be your raison d'etre.  Don't think I've seen a poster so many have publicly admitted putting on ignore since Mac Red, not sure that's something to be proud of. 
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #783: Mar 28, 2014 11:51:46 am
      I think the word you're looking for, at it's purest form, is you annoy people, which is more down to your abrasive posting-style.  I don't think you've upset anyone, ever, but you can keep on trying, as it seems to be your raison d'etre.  Don't think I've seen a poster so many have publicly admitted putting on ignore since Mac Red, not sure that's something to be proud of.

I think it's more likely that I appear to have been labelled a Manc and a Chelsea fan. And the people who have put me on ignore seem to have largely got vewy upset because I called them on various bullshit about Steven Gerrard and also the aforementioned threads about Chelsea or United.

It's essentially about three or four posters who seem to follow me about calling me a c**t, tool, or bollocksmith or "munt" (whatever that is), despite purportedly having me on ignore.

I don't recall dishing out personal insults that often, so perhaps on occasion it's simply because they've felt rather silly and/or embarrassed when I've had the temerity to introduce some facts into their lives.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #784: Mar 28, 2014 11:57:04 am
      I think it's more likely that I appear to have been labelled a Manc and a Chelsea fan. And the people who have put me on ignore seem to have largely got vewy upset because I called them on various bullshit about Steven Gerrard and also the aforementioned threads about Chelsea or United.

It's essentially about three or four posters who seem to follow me about calling me a c**t, tool, or bollocksmith or "munt" (whatever that is), despite purportedly having me on ignore.

I don't recall dishing out personal insults that often, so perhaps on occasion it's simply because they've felt rather silly and/or embarrassed when I've had the temerity to introduce some facts into their lives.

It's none of that, you're abrasive, arrogant without cause and annoying.  A change of posting style could serve you better than to blame everyone else.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,337 posts | 2864 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #785: Mar 28, 2014 12:58:20 pm
      Any hope we could get stevie not to tackle anybody against Spurs but just to get on the ball an cut them open wit his passing??

Sh*tting the sight of him being shon a yellow we need him too much against city
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6419 
      Reply #786: Mar 28, 2014 02:44:47 pm
      Any hope we could get stevie not to tackle anybody against Spurs but just to get on the ball an cut them open wit his passing??

Sh*tting the sight of him being shon a yellow we need him too much against city

You know he did pretty well against Sunderland, but my worry is that Tottenham is going to require a bit more "grunt" from him and I just have a bad feeling he's going to get that yellow. Hope I'm wrong.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #787: Apr 14, 2014 12:15:44 am
      Can I just say to all those who claim Stevie lacks discipline to go and watch the last few games. Knowing he's on one card from suspension, he's made sure he doesn't get that crucial booking.

And on a day when he became Liverpool's joint third appearance holder, equaling Clemo and Crazy Horse on 665.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #788: Apr 14, 2014 12:20:53 am
      wow that's some stat dunlop liddell shankly, thx you Steven Gerrard for your immense contribution to Liverpool FC
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #789: Apr 14, 2014 12:52:07 am
      In fairness those who said Stevie "lacked discipline" were wrong, but I think most all of them would probably accept that anyway. Perhaps he did when he was younger (not in my opinion but at least it's worthy of debate) but he certainly doesn't anymore.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #790: Apr 14, 2014 01:54:18 am
      In fairness those who said Stevie "lacked discipline" were wrong, but I think most all of them would probably accept that anyway. Perhaps he did when he was younger (not in my opinion but at least it's worthy of debate) but he certainly doesn't anymore.

I think most of us on this forum thought Gerrard the wrong man for the job, mate. How we where wrong.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #791: Apr 14, 2014 03:32:07 am
      An excellent player he may be: a leader of men he is not.

Went to have a bit of a read of this thread (baby has had me up for last two hours) and accidentally went in at page One. There are some shocking statements in this thread but I couldn't quite get past this one. Sorry Swab but that was a shocker of a statement when you contrast it to what. We saw today.

If threads could be burned this is the one I'd throw the matches at.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #792: Apr 14, 2014 03:48:32 am
      Biggest relief - Stevie avoiding that dreaded yellow. Especially with Hendo not playing until the last game and Sturridge's unclear injury
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #793: Apr 14, 2014 03:48:59 am
      Can't be bothered trawling through this thread for my quotes, but I for one was certainly questioning his starting place. I think I said those who said he should not be dropped were perhaps letting sentimentality get in the way or something like that.

But these last few of months has been like turning the clock back 5-10 years. Thank god my doubts were proven wrong, it really feels like a godsend to have arguably the clubs greatest ever player to once again summon up the inspiration, desire and commitment and the all round impact he had on the team so many years ago. It feels like the comeback of all comebacks - good enough for a movie.

However, the bottom line is this - we all love Gerrard, so this humble pie has never tasted so good.
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #794: Apr 14, 2014 05:07:14 am
      Has any one noticed the teams celebrations at times ...like Luis or a Skirtel will run to Gerrard after every goal scored got a feeling that everything apart from the dream and all they all just want to win it for Gerrard. And if that is true then its a great testimonial to the respect he has in the locker room Reminds me of the way the Indian cricket team which got there act together for Sachin Tendulkar at world cup 2011. Guess we can call him the Sachin Tendulkar of Liverpool Football Club (OOh my god I am going to be trashed hear :couch: ). 
      Phect
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #795: Apr 14, 2014 05:30:40 am
      Has any one noticed the teams celebrations at times ...like Luis or a Skirtel will run to Gerrard after every goal scored got a feeling that everything apart from the dream and all they all just want to win it for Gerrard. And if that is true then its a great testimonial to the respect he has in the locker room Reminds me of the way the Indian cricket team which got there act together for Sachin Tendulkar at world cup 2011. Guess we can call him the Sachin Tendulkar of Liverpool Football Club (OOh my god I am going to be trashed hear :couch: ). 

This was a bad comparison and you should feel bad.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #796: Apr 14, 2014 05:35:27 am
      This was a bad comparison and you should feel bad.

Not really. It's quite similar. :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #797: Apr 14, 2014 08:51:50 am
      However, the bottom line is this - we all love Gerrard, so this humble pie has never tasted so good.

Indeed.

poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #798: Apr 14, 2014 09:25:04 am
      He's absolutely playing out of his skin at the moment and I think u could see that from his emotional outpouring yesterday. It is through sheer will power alone that he is managing to turn the clock back, huge testiment to the man. In no way trying to put a negative spin on this (how cud u really) but I can't help but think he is pushing himself that hard that if we do win the league he may end up with nothing left to give next season.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #799: Apr 14, 2014 09:42:54 am
      I can't help but think he is pushing himself that hard that if we do win the league he may end up with nothing left to give next season.

I can see where your coming from - but I don't think it will happen...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #800: Apr 14, 2014 09:54:18 am
      He's absolutely playing out of his skin at the moment and I think u could see that from his emotional outpouring yesterday. It is through sheer will power alone that he is managing to turn the clock back, huge testiment to the man. In no way trying to put a negative spin on this (how cud u really) but I can't help but think he is pushing himself that hard that if we do win the league he may end up with nothing left to give next season.

Know where you're coming from with this and the truth is we'll not know until next season starts. He could lose motivation if we win it, I very much doubt that though. He could play more freely with that weight of expectation and the massive burden of never winning it lifted off his shoulders.

None of that matters at the moment though as we've won nothing yet, we've got 4 enormous games to go and we can deal with all the fantastic problems of winning the league after the job is done, but for now we need to keep our minds well and truly on the job at hand.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #801: Apr 14, 2014 12:38:44 pm

Or rather Sachin is the Steven Gerrard of Indian cricket.
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #802: Apr 14, 2014 01:13:14 pm
      Or rather Sachin is the Steven Gerrard of Indian cricket.

But he is 40 plus and retired so I thought.

But on a different note if wining the match against City brought tears in his eyes then what is he going to do when we wins it?. Is he going to vapourise!! leaving all of us in a sea of joy and who knows down the years there will be shrines, temples and churches worshiping "St Steven George Gerrard".     
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #803: Apr 14, 2014 01:17:47 pm
      i still think we need to "talk about gerrard". he went through a transition phase when he was adopting his role where he wasn't awesome, or at least above average every game, hence we started talking about him. he has since been pretty much brilliant, and that win yesterday got me as emotional as the scenes we witnessed on the pitch.

i was one of those who thought he wasn't up to scratch earlier on (i am so happy i've been proven wrong), however, he is 34 and has perhaps has 2 seasons left in him. he looks fit and agile at the moment but the milage he has amassed can't be ignored. my biggest worry and the biggest reason to talk about him, is that we do not have a replacement in the making. can we not nab fabregas from barca? he can learn from stevie rather than xavi :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #804: Apr 14, 2014 01:23:41 pm
      I've noticed something new about Steven Gerrard recently, not sure when the change happened, if it was a gradual one or just suddenly started but whatever it is, I like it.

The first thing is he seems more confident not just on the pitch but off it too.  His interviews are usually quite reserved, always respectful and professional, following party lines if you like but he seems more open, affable and he's lost that anxious look he sometimes has.

The main thing I've noticed though is when he's talking about the young players.  He's always praised them when they've played well but there's always been an air of caution about his praise.  Don't let them get above themselves, don't over do it, always keep their feet on the ground, let them know there's still a lot of work to be done.  Now though he can't praise them enough.

He also seems more vocal on the pitch, he's really come into his role as Captain but not in the old gung ho way but in a calm, commanding way.

We've talked a lot about how Brendan has changed the mentality throughout the team/squad and praised his coaching of the younger players to get them performing like they are but the change in Stevies demeanor has been the biggest surprise.

Quick Reply