Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 154477 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7189 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #1357: Nov 10, 2014 03:20:08 pm
      Oh so we're straight now then? Like I wasn't attacking you, I don't plan to focus on you being my enemy or anyone for that matter.
      Most of what I said here was born from watching a decline in one of my fave players ever.
      Do not think any ones above criticism please.

your not getting my point at all mate.I agree he should not be playing in that position and possibly not at all but Brendan picks the team not stevie.He had 14 assists last season playing with Daniel and Luis now he has got Balotelli its not just about his legs going its far more depressing than that.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1358: Nov 10, 2014 03:28:48 pm
      your not getting my point at all mate.I agree he should not be playing in that position and possibly not at all but Brendan picks the team not stevie.He had 14 assists last season playing with Daniel and Luis now he has got Balotelli its not just about his legs going its far more depressing than that.
      i get your point now.
      It may go deeper, I feel bad for everyone here because it's a terrible situation actually. I didn't come in the we need to talk about Gerrard thread just because of the last game against  Chelsea.
      I'm not actually blaming him for anything, I like watching us play without him, I will not continue, that's how I've felt for a few years.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #1359: Nov 10, 2014 03:34:25 pm
      then go on the Brendan thread and post it on there its not STEVIES FAULT.

What?

Pretty sure this is the 'We need to talk about Gerrard' thread.

I'm talking about Gerrard.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #1360: Nov 10, 2014 07:15:09 pm
      At this point, I think we do need to phase Stevie out of being a regular starter. Teams know how to stifle him/us when he plays as the pivot/quarterback in a midfield 3, and he doesn't have the legs to cover the ground he needs to in a midfield 2. However, I do think he still has the quality required to make a difference in a game, and could be a good super sub in an attacking midfield role. But we need to start looking forward and making plans for life without Gerrard.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #1361: Nov 10, 2014 07:38:48 pm
      But we need to start looking forward and making plans for life without Gerrard.

Spot on! We should bring in a replacement sooner rather than later! He is not Captain Fantastic anymore!
      L4Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • @L4Red8
      Reply #1362: Nov 10, 2014 09:21:27 pm
      For me Stevie is the least of our worries. Against Madrid before Gerrard came on our passing was mainly slow and side ways, Gerrard came on and he quickened the play up passing the ball forward with a lot more pace than anything before his arrival (I'm not talking about the long balls, he did play some decent long balls as well and with more support up front could be more successful as an option)

I would like to see Stevie more forward - if he gets tired bring him off/don't start him every game allowing him to come on as a sub fresh - he can give us some much needed creativity higher up the pitch. Lucas and Can can then be given more playing time, I thought Can looked decent on Saturday and Lucas has looked good the last two times we have seen him.

For me, the team just is not playing together, I would not blame 1 player and I certainly would not blame Gerrard. He isn't as good as he has been - age and the position he is playing in being the reasons. For me Gerrard is not finished and I look forward to him and the team improving this season.

YNWA
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1363: Nov 11, 2014 03:08:14 pm
      I wish there were more topics about the useless bunch of cu*ts we have signed over the last 2 Seasons.

Can people try and imagine how mentally draining it is for a man to carry the expectations of an entire City on his shoulders for more than a decade?

Whether Gerrard is sulking or not is not the point here.

The point in question is this, has Gerrard done enough throughout his time here to earn a new contract?

The answer is an emphatic yes, he is a Legend.

Instead of people laying all the blame at Gerrard's door, how about we look at the other reasons here.

The owners, the manager and a group of players who are not fit to wear the shirt.

No passion, no desire, no commitment.

Something you could never ever accuse Gerrard of.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1364: Nov 11, 2014 03:18:55 pm
      I wish there were more topics about the useless bunch of cu*ts we have signed over the last 2 Seasons.

Can people try and imagine how mentally draining it is for a man to carry the expectations of an entire City on his shoulders for more than a decade?

Whether Gerrard is sulking or not is not the point here.

The point in question is this, has Gerrard done enough throughout his time here to earn a new contract?

The answer is an emphatic yes, he is a Legend.

Instead of people laying all the blame at Gerrard's door, how about we look at the other reasons here.

The owners, the manager and a group of players who are not fit to wear the shirt.

No passion, no desire, no commitment.

Something you could never ever accuse Gerrard of.

"No passion, no desire, no commitment"

I'm afraid those are exactly the things which have been missing from our leader this season.
      As others have mentioned he looks a tortured man out there at the moment, the way it ended last season must be weighing heavy on him then the loss of Suarez and he can see that elusive PL title disappear for ever like a puff of smoke.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7189 
      Reply #1365: Nov 11, 2014 03:50:49 pm
      What?

Pretty sure this is the 'We need to talk about Gerrard' thread.

I'm talking about Gerrard.

jeez I gave you far more credit.
      People are complaining about him being old and no longer 25 that's not his fault is it.
      the problem is Brendan playing him out of form and possibly out of position yet I don't see any of that on the Brendan thread.Just saying he is finished and having a pop at him calling him names isn't actually anything to do with his position in the team.
      Once again for clarity I don't think he should be playing deep he should be playing further forward and if he cant hack it drop him bench him and then put him out to pasture.This is up to Brendan not Stevie.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1366: Nov 11, 2014 04:00:39 pm
      We may need to talk about lots of players, but the fact is they are not the club captain, they are not the supposed leaders, and they are not walking around with a face like a slapped arse.

I've heard it said many times that Gerrard doesn't need to be a talker as a leader, because he leads by example.
      Well, now's the time for him to be doing just that, because it's a basic leadership function that when the troops are down, you pick them up, and if he needs to change his leadership "style" because things aren't quite happening for him on the pitch, then he should do it, and soon.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1367: Nov 11, 2014 11:24:27 pm
      We may need to talk about lots of players, but the fact is they are not the club captain, they are not the supposed leaders, and they are not walking around with a face like a slapped arse.

I've heard it said many times that Gerrard doesn't need to be a talker as a leader, because he leads by example.
      Well, now's the time for him to be doing just that, because it's a basic leadership function that when the troops are down, you pick them up, and if he needs to change his leadership "style" because things aren't quite happening for him on the pitch, then he should do it, and soon.

"No passion, no desire, no commitment"

I'm afraid those are exactly the things which have been missing from our leader this season.
      As others have mentioned he looks a tortured man out there at the moment, the way it ended last season must be weighing heavy on him then the loss of Suarez and he can see that elusive PL title disappear for ever like a puff of smoke.

I'll tell you what lads. How about we talk about all the other players who are letting this Club down? Why does everything have to fall at his door?

I'm more concerned that as a Club legend approaches the twilight years of his career, the supporters are not questioning the Club, the manager and the players around him that should be alleviating that pressure?

Gerrard is not the problem here, why is it, after fifteen years at the top some of our supporters are still clinging on to this notion that everything is Gerrard's fault?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Lucas' thread?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Allen' thread?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Mignolet' thread?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Lovren' thread?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Johnson' thread?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Borini' thread?

How about we start a 'We Need to talk about Henderson' thread?

To hear the way some people are talking about Gerrard is disgraceful. I wasn't aware that it is only Gerrard who steps onto that turf, i thought there were ten other players, ten other players who are just as accountable as our Captain?

How about we start a thread on how Rodgers hasn't got the bollocks to drop Gerrard or hasn't got the bollocks to play him as a 60 minute attacking midfielder?

Nobody seems to blame Rodgers for any of this, isn't it astounding how quick people are to forget?

Gerrard has been there and done it, barring disgraceful ownership periods he would have had a couple of League winners medals as well. It wasn't to be but it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying on his part.

We now move into a new era, with Gerrard slowly being phased out, he knows it is coming and will accept it. The problem is that there is currently nobody in that midfield area that has even shown the slightest inkling of making this transition seamless.

Look around this Squad, nobody even comes close to that 34 year old has been (not my words), not even a mile away. Now that is sad.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1368: Nov 12, 2014 12:35:44 pm
      I'll tell you what lads. How about we talk about all the other players who are letting this Club down? Why does everything have to fall at his door?

I'm more concerned that as a Club legend approaches the twilight years of his career, the supporters are not questioning the Club, the manager and the players around him that should be alleviating that pressure?

Gerrard is not the problem here, why is it, after fifteen years at the top some of our supporters are still clinging on to this notion that everything is Gerrard's fault?

To hear the way some people are talking about Gerrard is disgraceful. I wasn't aware that it is only Gerrard who steps onto that turf, i thought there were ten other players, ten other players who are just as accountable as our Captain?

How about we start a thread on how Rodgers hasn't got the bollocks to drop Gerrard or hasn't got the bollocks to play him as a 60 minute attacking midfielder?

Nobody seems to blame Rodgers for any of this, isn't it astounding how quick people are to forget?

Gerrard has been there and done it, barring disgraceful ownership periods he would have had a couple of League winners medals as well. It wasn't to be but it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying on his part.

We now move into a new era, with Gerrard slowly being phased out, he knows it is coming and will accept it. The problem is that there is currently nobody in that midfield area that has even shown the slightest inkling of making this transition seamless.

Look around this Squad, nobody even comes close to that 34 year old has been (not my words), not even a mile away. Now that is sad.

Rodgers hasn't the bollocks to drop Gerrard. That's true. Nor has he the bollocks to drop Balotelli or play Borini.

A lot of what is wrong with this club stems from the people off the pitch (I.e. The manager, the owners and even us fans). That collective belief has gone and ultimately it's the managers job to win it back. Gerrard really ought to take more responsibility yes, but ultimately it's Rodgers who selects him week in and week out, it's Rodgers who has selected him to lead the redmen week in and week out. Too many pressing issues at present. This could all turn ugly if Daniels return has little to no impact.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1369: Nov 12, 2014 01:01:36 pm
      jeez I gave you far more credit.People are complaining about him being old and no longer 25 that's not his fault is it.the problem is Brendan playing him out of form and possibly out of position yet I don't see any of that on the Brendan thread.Just saying he is finished and having a pop at him calling him names isn't actually anything to do with his position in the team.Once again for clarity I don't think he should be playing deep he should be playing further forward and if he cant hack it drop him bench him and then put him out to pasture.This is up to Brendan not Stevie.

Spot on sir. Stevie cannot do anything about the fact that he is older, slower and can't be running the show every game. He is played out of position, he isn't dropped when he is not on form and he's simply carrying out the tasks he's been asked of him - as he has always done. I do not blame Gerrard one bit, the blame for this lies squarely on BR. I've said before, other experienced managers managed the careers of legends in clubs in their twilight years with far more dignity, respect and strategy. BR is failing to do that. Simple as.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1370: Nov 12, 2014 01:12:45 pm

Fine by me mate, except all those things are being discussed in other threads.
      BR is certainly taking flak, some deserved, some probably not.
      Players are taking flak as well.

The thing is, Gerrard is different.
      He's the club captain, our most senior player, a player who has set the football world alight at times during his career.

You mark him out as different, and rightly so. He has done things none of our current players will ever do, but because he is different, the expectations of his form, playing, passing are also different.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1371: Nov 12, 2014 11:58:50 pm
      Fine by me mate, except all those things are being discussed in other threads.
      BR is certainly taking flak, some deserved, some probably not.
      Players are taking flak as well.

The thing is, Gerrard is different.
      He's the club captain, our most senior player, a player who has set the football world alight at times during his career.

You mark him out as different, and rightly so. He has done things none of our current players will ever do, but because he is different, the expectations of his form, playing, passing are also different.

I accept what you are saying Swab and i know what you mean.

My big problem is that Gerrard always takes the majority of the flak for the many sub-standard performers we currently have in the team and there are many of them. We saw the same thing happen with Carragher in his last Season and it F***ing made me sick. People calling for the head of a Club legend is not on in my opinion. Isn't it ironic how sh*t our defence has become since Carragher retired?

One of my points is that as a DM he is being shackled or caged, his natural game is being suppressed and that is down to the manager. Gerrard has still got a lot to offer as a complete midfielder because that is what he is and always has been. It is up to our manager to get it right and i pray that he does.

Somebody mentioned earlier that if the return of Sturridge doesn't pay off then we could be in serious trouble. I think it stems a lot deeper than that, our defence is still a major issue and i would hope that is Brendan's main concern. I most certainly think that the return of Sturridge will give the whole Squad a confidence boost, but it's going to take a lot more than that to fix this problem.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #1372: Nov 13, 2014 12:21:45 am

My big problem is that Gerrard always takes the majority of the flak for the many sub-standard performers we currently have in the team and there are many of them. We saw the same thing happen with Carragher in his last Season and it f**king made me sick. People calling for the head of a Club legend is not on in my opinion. Isn't it ironic how sh*t our defence has become since Carragher retired?

One of my points is that as a DM he is being shackled or caged, his natural game is being suppressed and that is down to the manager. Gerrard has still got a lot to offer as a complete midfielder because that is what he is and always has been. It is up to our manager to get it right and i pray that he does.

Somebody mentioned earlier that if the return of Sturridge doesn't pay off then we could be in serious trouble. I think it stems a lot deeper than that, our defence is still a major issue and i would hope that is Brendan's main concern. I most certainly think that the return of Sturridge will give the whole Squad a confidence boost, but it's going to take a lot more than that to fix this problem.

Yeah, it's going to take a miracle. Suarez is gone, Sturrigde is injured. We all knew this scenario was imminent. Possibly with the exception of Rodgers. And what did we do? Bring in Lambert and Balotelli. Great stuff. I don't even wanna go on about the rest of the team, because it makes me sick. So bench Gerrard in the next game to send a message to whole lot. They are all getting a bit too comfortable.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1373: Nov 13, 2014 07:49:06 am

Except for the tiny, inconsequential, detail that the whole point of putting up with Gerrard in that position is to make use of his passing range which requires players with touch and pace running round ahead of him.

Now that Sturridge is literally about to return, dropping the captain would be a particularly dopey tactic at this point.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1374: Nov 13, 2014 01:05:08 pm

My big problem is that Gerrard always takes the majority of the flak for the many sub-standard performers we currently have in the team and there are many of them. We saw the same thing happen with Carragher in his last Season and it F***ing made me sick. People calling for the head of a Club legend is not on in my opinion. Isn't it ironic how sh*t our defence has become since Carragher retired?

Apologies for going round the houses a bit here, but it comes together for the point I'm trying to make.

Before I joined this forum I read back through a lot of old threads, and saw a few recurring themes regarding Carragher.
      It seemed that every season there were people saying his legs had gone, that he wasn't the player he had been, that his lack of pace was exposing us too much (he never had much to begin with) etc etc
      Now I'll hold my hands up here and say that I was never Carra's biggest fan.
      I never thought he was world class, but I could never fault his attitude and commitment.
      The whole Rafa thing when he (allegedly) had people briefing the press left a sour taste, and I felt he had let himself and the club down.
      At the same time though, once he stepped onto the pitch, I knew he would give it everything that he had, and none of us can ask for more than that.
      I also knew that he'd always been a bit of a slow starter in the Prem, and that wasn't going to improve as he got older, and sure enough he got better and better as the season went on.

In many ways, he was the opposite of Gerrard.
      I remember Redknapp jr saying in an interview how players loved to be up against Carra in training when as a young lad he first started training with the first team because he was slow, couldn't really tackle, couldn't turn etc and the senior players basically had great sport tying him in knots.
      However, what happened next left a lasting impression on Redknapp jr. Carra went away, and instead of relaxing on the beach, put in a monumental amount of work and effort and came back for pre-season bigger, fitter, stronger, more muscular, and (crucially) more composed.
      To sum up, he had to fight to prove people wrong from day 1 of his senior career, and it says a lot about his character that he continued to do it right up until the time he retired.

We also had another young player coming through the ranks, and people were just blown away by his talent, but also his pace, aggression and will to win. He also had to prove a few doubters wrong after not being picked to go to the FA school of excellence, but none of those who doubted him were at Liverpool.
      Houllier had to rein him in a bit, but he was young and just doing what young lads with lots of money did back then.
      Time and time again, he showed his class.
      Yes, he flirted with chelsea a bit, but that was more a result of his own insecurity than anything else, and also down to that arch tw*t Parry, who was dragging his feet as usual, instead of getting on with what he was paid to do.
      One of the best moments I've seen in football was during a game against man u, when there was a 50-50 and both Keane and Gerrard went for it, full blooded, holding nothing back. You could hear the smack as the 2 collided, but what happened next was that both players got up, Gerrard eyeballed Keane, and the hardest player of his generation gave a little nod of respect. A truly wonderful moment.
      We're used to seeing him rip opponents apart.
      We're used to seeing him hit 30 yard screamers.
      We're used to seeing him put a player in the stands with a real (fair) crunching tackle.
      We're used to seeing him rampaging through the midfield leaving opponents trailing in his wake.
      We've also forgotten, that like Carra he can be a bit of a slow starter, but (also like Carra) he improved as the season went on.

I don't think his legs are gone as such.
      I've said many times that his adductor injury when he had post surgery infections have taken a lot out of him, and that he simply can't do the things he could before that.
      He's done brilliantly to modify his game, but people still expect him to do the same things he did when he was younger, and I think that is the root cause of the criticism we see and hear.
      It's hard for people to accept that a legend has the proverbial "feet of clay", but time marches on and catches up no matter how good a player is.
      I've said that I have no worries about Gerrard regaining his best form, because just like Carra, he's been a slow starter.

My criticism of him as a captain may seem unfair, but I really do think that as a captain he needs to be much more vocal now that his ability to lead by example is declining.
      He remains in the top 5 all time Liverpool greats, and is right up there with Souness as our best midfielder.
      I'm not getting into a comparison here, because they have totally different attributes.
      He has modified his game, I think he has it in him to modify his captaincy style, because now more than ever, we need him to show the new (and some established) players, exactly what it means to play for our great club.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1375: Nov 13, 2014 01:25:32 pm

One of the best moments I've seen in football was during a game against man u, when there was a 50-50 and both Keane and Gerrard went for it, full blooded, holding nothing back. You could hear the smack as the 2 collided, but what happened next was that both players got up, Gerrard eyeballed Keane, and the hardest player of his generation gave a little nod of respect. A truly wonderful moment.

I apologise for just highlighting this from a great post, but I know what moment you mean. I was a young kid at that game and the roar from the kop from that tackle was as if we had scored. Gave me goose bumps.

I've tried to find it on youtube for years.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1376: Nov 13, 2014 01:34:46 pm
      I apologise for just highlighting this from a great post, but I know what moment you mean. I was a young kid at that game and the roar from the kop from that tackle was as if we had scored. Gave me goose bumps.

I've tried to find it on youtube for years.

Even though it was noisy you could hear the smack as they came together in the stands.
      Unforgettable, and one of my favourite football moments.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1377: Nov 13, 2014 01:40:30 pm

Two more Lucas Threads?
      F**k that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1378: Nov 13, 2014 01:58:59 pm
      There's no bigger fan of Steven Gerrard on these boards than me, but the truth is he isn't playing very well and it's causing us a huge problem. Chief amongst those problems is the fact that we don't really have a ready replacement. I don't mean so much that we don't have anybody who can play defensive midfielder as well as Gerrard (because as he's playing right now we certainly do), nor does he play well enough further forward to say "we don't have anybody else who can do that". The way we can't replace him is in his stature, experience, calmness, desire and presence.

Unfortunately for him and us the "play him as third centre back when we've got it" idea isn't going to work at the moment because we aren't scary enough going forward anymore, teams will just flood all over him in a swarm. I must confess unless we get scarier going forward I don't think our patient "play it out from the back no matter what" approach isn't going to work whoever's in there myself, but Stevie is wasted back trying to put out fires.

In common with much of the rest of our game, I think we need to make a couple of adjustments and get a wee bit more pragmatic while we aren't playing so well. As I've said before, if you keep hitting the driver into the woods you eventually have to consider getting a bit more conservative and taking the 3 iron off the tee, I wish we'd do the same. For me it's time for Can to take over the DM role with Lucas as his understudy (both are currently doing the job as well as Stevie IMHO) and use our captain further up where he can some damage. We were right to play him back there last season when we had Sturridge and Suarez and teams were sh!t scared of us, we're wrong to do it now. We should play him at the tip of the diamond or right side of midfield (my preference) and we should clear our lines much more readily. Play the game in the opposition half for once. Also, we should play Stevie in matches only as long as he has the legs to be a major player. When he tires we should be taking him off, or alternatively bringing him on later.   
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7189 
      Reply #1379: Nov 13, 2014 02:02:45 pm
      I see we are now getting the " I love Stevie but " posts a bit like the " I love Kenny" posts as I remember.
      If he is good enough he should play if he isn't he shouldn't why is that even a question.

Quick Reply