Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 154526 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #1748: Dec 02, 2014 06:29:07 pm

Yeah shame that Debs, I hope those injuries don't prevent him from progressing,
      Glad to hear tho he's back playing and scoring and hope his injury woes are behind him,

What of the lad Harry Wilson, he's another that caught my eye, ?

YNWA

I'm taking this over to the Academy thread mate, before we get our hands smacked   ;)
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #1749: Dec 02, 2014 06:31:45 pm
      Come on Stevie lad bang a screamer in and shut these moaning fuckers up:-)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1750: Dec 02, 2014 06:35:20 pm
      I'm taking this over to the Academy thread mate, before we get our hands smacked   ;)

Ha, fairy muff mate, got carried away   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1751: Dec 02, 2014 09:41:12 pm
      And that's why he should be playing further up the pitch. Was linking pretty well with Sterling and Lambert
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1752: Dec 02, 2014 10:18:49 pm
      Still not convinced he should be playing for 90mins, how we we could have done with Coutinho in that position for the last 30 mins.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1753: Dec 02, 2014 10:32:14 pm
      MOTM for me tonight although a close run thing with Raheem. Head and shoulders above most of our squad in terms of quality. If FSG have fuc...ked up this contract offer (it appears that they have) and he ends up in a similar situation to Lampard at City I will be fuming. His legs might be going but all Stevie needs in the side with him is pace and movement in front of him. Funnily enough his form has suffered playing with strikers who only want the ball to feet and offer no threat or movement in behind. He's been effectively playing with one arm tied behind his back.

Regardless of tonight's result and performance I despair at some of the comments in this thread I really do. Posters keep making these proclamations that the skipper is done for.

He isn't.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1754: Dec 02, 2014 10:39:21 pm
      Stevie scores a goal and I can see all the usual stuff starting to be posted!

The goal really did mask his deficiencies in the number 10 role, no pace, a poor touch, didn't track back and couldn't really support any runs made my a Raheem. Once the pace slowed down he started to show up, I'm afraid that's not going to be possible against most teams.

F**k it what's the point he was class..........  :mad:
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1755: Dec 02, 2014 10:40:50 pm
      Still not convinced he should be playing for 90mins, how we we could have done with Coutinho in that position for the last 30 mins.

I agree, phases of the game when we desperately needed good ball control to help us keep the ball and keep possession just weren't happening today.

This isn't just Gerrard's problems but many in the squad.

If Rodgers wants us to play a better possession game, we need players with better ball control. There is a big difference between 'possession' and 'controlled possession', and we don't do the latter.

Too many times we have players taking a billion touches to control the ball and once under control, the opposition has got back into position and more often than not, we find ourselves under immense pressure.

If you look at teams like Barca or Arsenal when they were at their best, the ball possession was fantastic. It helped defensively, and such snappy assured possession with great decisiveness going forward is the first thing we need in our possession to help defence and attack.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1756: Dec 02, 2014 10:48:29 pm
      If Rodgers wants us to play a better possession game, we need players with better ball control. There is a big difference between 'possession' and 'controlled possession', and we don't do the latter.Too many times we have players taking a billion touches to control the ball and once under control, the opposition has got back into position and more often than not, we find ourselves under immense pressure.If you look at teams like Barca or Arsenal when they were at their best, the ball possession was fantastic. It helped defensively, and such snappy assured possession with great decisiveness going forward is the first thing we need in our possession to help defence and attack.

Rodgers has sacrificed some of this aspect of our game in order to shore up our defending and to try to play (at times) to Lambert's strength in the air/or into feet early. I've got no problem with this because playing possession and trying to be the same side as last season (which is what we were doing) was not working. It might not cut it against the better sides in the division but for the Leicesters and Sunderlands of this world it should be enough.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #1757: Dec 02, 2014 10:52:10 pm
      Still not convinced he should be playing for 90mins,

Just F***ing say it lad, you don't think he should be playing at all.

He's got too many faults, according to you, to be playing as the "holding midfielder". He's got too many faults, according to you, to be playing "in the number 10". So just F***ing say what you think and say he shouldn't be playing at all.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1758: Dec 02, 2014 10:54:09 pm
      Just f**king say it lad, you don't think he should be playing at all.

He's got too many faults, according to you, to be playing as the "holding midfielder". He's got too many faults, according to you, to be playing "in the number 10". So just f**king say what you think and say he shouldn't be playing at all.

Ok he shouldn't be playing not good enough you happy?

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #1759: Dec 02, 2014 11:09:46 pm
      Ok he shouldn't be playing not good enough you happy?

Yes.

As long as you say what you really think rather than hiding like a sh*t bag, I'm happy. You'll get a lot of backlash for it but at least you've got the balls to say what you think (after being called out on it though)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1760: Dec 02, 2014 11:18:03 pm
      Yes.

As long as you say what you really think rather than hiding like a sh*t bag, I'm happy. You'll get a lot of backlash for it but at least you've got the balls to say what you think (after being called out on it though)

Called out on what I have said he can't last the 90 mins in a forward role, he should not have really been played as a DM without the dynamic duo up front.
      I have been pretty clear in my posts Gerrard should have 20-30 mins now like Fat Frank and probably start and play longer in Europe as the pace is not as intense as the EPL.

I understand Rodgers has to play him due to the potential backlash from the Media and Gerrard fans especially after a poor start.

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #1761: Dec 02, 2014 11:31:23 pm
      No doubt if we have a few off games v Sunderland + Basel then people will be calling for his head (metaphorically) again
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1762: Dec 02, 2014 11:37:04 pm
      Stevie shut the haters on this forum up tonight.
      Scored a cracker
      MOTM

What is there to talk about ?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1763: Dec 02, 2014 11:41:45 pm
      Stevie shut the haters on this forum up tonight.
      Scored a cracker
      MOTM

What is there to talk about ?

That he is sh*t most of the time? ;D
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1764: Dec 02, 2014 11:57:23 pm
      Looks like the manager's decision to leave him on the bench against Stoke was vindicated.

Proof, if any were needed, that his gametime now requires very careful management.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1765: Dec 03, 2014 12:01:58 am
      What people miss when they say "why don't we get Gerrard to do a Lampard" is that fat Frank is playing with players who are confident, playing ina  team which is beginning to purr again and as such he looks an excellent player (he always was in truth wasn't he?). Stevie on the other hand is surrounded by the likes of Henderson (who I thought was absolutely terrible tonight), Lucas, Rickie Lambert and the like. Give him Aguerro and Navas and Jovetic to hit, stick him alongside Yaya Toure or let Fernandino do HIS running and Stevie would still look world class.   
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1766: Dec 03, 2014 12:09:34 am
      What people miss when they say "why don't we get Gerrard to do a Lampard" is that fat Frank is playing with players who are confident, playing ina  team which is beginning to purr again and as such he looks an excellent player (he always was in truth wasn't he?). Stevie on the other hand is surrounded by the likes of Henderson (who I thought was absolutely terrible tonight), Lucas, Rickie Lambert and the like. Give him Aguerro and Navas and Jovetic to hit, stick him alongside Yaya Toure or let Fernandino do HIS running and Stevie would still look world class.   

Lampard doesnt only play with players on confidence, at Chelsea and now City, he has played in teams with players who are quality.

All in all though pretty much agree.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1767: Dec 03, 2014 12:09:45 am

Couldn't put it better myself. Stevie in a Real Madrid, chelsea or city team would still be world class. Because he is still at that standard, but he's not capable of carrying the whole F***ing team like he has done for 15 years.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #1768: Dec 03, 2014 12:09:52 am
      Proof, if any were needed, that his gametime now requires very careful management.

Indeed.

Missed the game tonight but heard Stevie played very well although that was only briefly on the radio on the way home.

Was he as good as some one here were saying i.e MOTM?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #1769: Dec 03, 2014 12:12:38 am

Absolutely fckin spot on Mick ,for far to long he carried the team he can no longer make up for others but put him amongst good players who make runs and space and he would still fckin shine perhaps not every week perhaps not every game but more fckin often than not ,its not his fault that he has been surrounded with mediocre players and still expected to carry the fight theres a few on here need to have a good fckin look at themselves .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #1770: Dec 03, 2014 09:31:31 am

Good post.

Was quite clear to see last night that if we had some more quality in the final third then Gerrard would have had even more joy. Leicester never picked him up properly yesterday and if he had a Sturridge or a Suarez in front of him he would have set up countless opportunities and we probably would have won that game very comfortably last night.

Quick Reply