Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Well... does he?

Yes
      36 (66.7%)
      No
      18 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2013 10:22:28 am

Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.

Read 11286 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.
      Sep 29, 2013 12:41:08 pm
      Read an article earlier how the club wanted to secure Rodgers down with a longer term contract,don't know how much truth there is to the story but does he deserve an extension?.

What are the areas of Rodgers stewardship that have convinced you he is the right candidate or not for getting us back amongst the elite.

Could the Mod's add a Dudek please.

LFCexiled
      Re: Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.
      Reply #1: Sep 29, 2013 01:17:24 pm
      No, it's 2013 so he should've been sacked by now, F**k all this long term Manager bollocks and give him a pay off.

Alternatively, he appears to be building a potentially excellent squad so an extension's just a formality really.

On one condition, I want his new contract to include a 'less sound bites' clause.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Sep 29, 2013 01:35:53 pm
      How about we discuss such a thing after his 2nd season and not at the start of it because based on our position last season and our current form, no.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2013 01:41:26 pm
      Give us a few more weeks until we get all our 1st team players back on the park with a couple of games under their belts and we'll see where we are at then.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: Sep 29, 2013 01:45:09 pm
      No he doesn't now is not the time next May he will know himself if he's going to get one.
      I hope he does as it will mean we've qualified for the Champions League..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Sep 29, 2013 01:51:06 pm
      Ask again around January, should have a clearer picture after a season and a half.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2013 01:58:08 pm
      A club that had 4 managers in 30 years to having 4 in 4 years. We're 5 games into the current managers 2nd season. If we have learned nothing from the 4 managers in 4 years then we won't extend it if we have sense he gets at least 2 more years
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2013 01:58:39 pm
      um.

no.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2013 02:09:56 pm
      He should be judged at the end of the season. We might finish below Everton again and he will only deserve the sack if that happens. No reason whatsoever Martinez should finish above him. Very doubtful he will win the FA Cup as he doesn't last long in cup competitions, so unless there's clear progression in the league, his job will be on the line.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2013 03:14:40 pm
      It surprises me how low everybody rates stability. Whatever you think of Rodgers, he has a clear plan and knows the type of players he needs to execute that plan. His signings have been hit and miss but I am delighted with the football we are playing, and the spirit in the camp at the moment.

Contract extension NOW might be premature but I would suggest that drawing a line in the sand that demands "achieve these goals or you're done" is a mistake. Of course great things should be expected of the team and manager because we have top personnel in both departments. FSG didn't hand him a blank check unlike the owners at citeh and chelski but he's gotten decent value for money while showing other clubs we won't be taken for a ride (much needed after the squandering of funds under Commolli/Dalglish).

Brendy is our future and has my full support.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2013 03:56:42 pm
      No far too soon, we should see how this season pans out, if there's no clear progression from the previous season, then wait until the following season's end, if no clear sign of progression, John Henry should crawl on his hands and knee's back to Rafa and tell Ayre to deal with it or F**k off.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2013 06:09:29 pm
      A bit too soon to be talking about this but if say, hypothetically, it was either now or never, I would get him to sign a new contract. Lord knows, the stability of this club has been pathetic over the last couple of years, and that is no fault of Brendan's. I think he's helped in stabilising the ship and stop it sinking. Slowly, he's getting it back to full sail.

He's not yet fully stamped his idea of Liverpool FC and it will take more time before it really becomes 'his' team what with constraints and all but I think the man will be a true blessing for Liverpool, just the saviour we need. I love his playing philosophy and a forward thinking and technical style of play is the best way to get us forward again.

Any fan who wants him to 'f**k off' right now, well they can f**k off and go and support another club. F***ing lousy supporters - if they were in charge of this club we would be in dire straits and would probably be trying to get Dalglish out of retirement to play upfront they're that f**king narrow minded.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2013 06:16:17 pm
      Any fan who wants him to 'F**k off' right now, well they can F**k off and go and support another club. F***ing lousy supporters - if they were in charge of this club we would be in dire straits and would probably trying to get Dalglish out of retirement to play upfront they're that F***ing narrow minded.

You mean as narrow minded as the fuckwits who called for Rafa's head ?.

I don't want Rodgers gone, but what is this 'playing philosophy and a forward thinking and technical style of play' because we've been F***ing terrible with the ball this season, we were bossed by Sothampton at home and are very lucky to have the points we have got as some of our performances in the second half of games have been excruciatingly painful and nerve wracking to watch.

Is Rodgers the right man to take us forwards ? I don't honestly know, but he hasn't shown enough yet to convince he is, so for that reason, NO to a contract extension until he does/has.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2013 06:21:01 pm
      Now? No, the jury is still out and it shouldn't even be getting spoken about but maybe its not just on field performance our owners look for in a manager.

Champion's League or very close and a lot of positives this season then maybe.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Sep 29, 2013 07:01:55 pm
      Won't know until the end of the season.

Table wise, you can't argue with lying second, and Palace in the next game at home.
      We're not playing as well as we can, but we're picking up points, v good sign too.
      Imo, defensively we have improved.

Signings wise, mixed. Migs, Toure - good signings (but just replacing good players who left). Sahko, Cissoko, Moses - OK. Aspas, Alberto - look lightweight. In general, taking into account some of the peripheral players from last season leaving, think we are a bit stronger squadwise than last season. But not by much.

Next up, we need to strengthen across the middle, CMs and wingers, maybe do something in Jan - but we have to make do for now, which won't be easy given the options on the bench.

2nd place tonight. The boys should be happy. Not playing at their best by any means - but they are well in the hunt. So far so good for BR...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Sep 29, 2013 07:59:03 pm

Well you would say that wouldn't you. I wouldn't listen to your advice if you told me that I would stand  to win a £10,000 bet that the sun would rise tomorrow.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #16: Sep 29, 2013 08:01:38 pm
      Cart before the Horse .
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17: Sep 29, 2013 09:18:10 pm
      Even as one of Brenda biggest supporters,  I can't any reason to give him a contract extension at this time.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2013 10:12:55 pm
      Lets see where we are at in May and then decide.

Btw, it's the second poster I have seen who has put a full stop after a question mark. Did I learn grammar wrong at school?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Sep 30, 2013 01:42:16 am
       I think next May will be the right time to decide if Brendan warrants an extension to his contract,by then he will know and we will know where we are going as a club.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2013 06:54:57 am
      Talk of a new contract extension, a bit premature, wait until the spring to see how the side has performed, and then decide his future at the club.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2013 09:46:21 am
      Contrat extension or not won't stop these owners if one day they feel like they need to change the manager I think.
      Just remember our last manager got a 3 years contract and was sacked after one, and the one before didn't even stayed one year of a 3 years contract.

The reasons I see to expand Brendan contract are :
       - to give him confidence he'll stay long term (when knowing LFC recent history he may have doubts)
       - to reduce the chances to see another club try to recruit him (or at least to recieve a little more money if he breaks his contract)
       - to improve Liverpool image for potential recruits who'd prefer to join a stable club rather than one changing manager every year

I don't think there's really a threat to see a bigger club try to steal Brendan at this point (not before he wins something with us at least).
      But if owners want to, no problem. At worse they'll pay a little more if they sack him that's all, at best it'll make easier to convince some players to stay/join and it may be the beginning of a more stable era.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22: Sep 30, 2013 09:49:08 am
       Well he's doing a fantastic job, but I'm not sure it's necessary really to extend the contract at this stage unless someone else is sniffing around. Naturally to mention a new contract for him infuriates the Rafa love in people because it effectively postpones the date when we can have the next mass "pine in". As it is though, although it seems everyone in football apart from a section of our fanbase recognises the great job our manager is doing, it doesn't seem to me to be likely he'll walk out. Leave it till the end of the season, then do it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #23: Sep 30, 2013 10:22:55 am
      Added a Dudek.

His contract was three years wasn't it? Wouldn't surprise me if there were some discussions about it - but probably not until next summer.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #24: Sep 30, 2013 10:49:02 am
      When he's earned it - yes.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #25: Sep 30, 2013 10:57:01 am
      wait until the summer and think about it then, no wish to see him go but too early to think about a new deal, no great rush to do anything.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Sep 30, 2013 11:13:02 am
      Yes.
      In the summer, after he's earned it.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #27: Sep 30, 2013 11:23:22 am
      Agree with most here. Don't see the point in giving him a extension now. He has a contract till the end of next season, so it's nothing we should be worrying about right now.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #28: Sep 30, 2013 11:25:31 am
      In the summer or the following January

He is doing a decent job and certainly deserves time but not to a point where we need to talk or consider a new deal after 14months.

We need stability but he isn't even half way through his deal.

Not a priority
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Sep 30, 2013 11:26:22 am
      Yes, it provides stability throughout the club. Simple as that.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #30: Sep 30, 2013 12:28:16 pm
      If we were to give him one now it'd have to be a one year extension then we talk about proper extensions in the summer if we do well.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Sep 30, 2013 03:58:34 pm
      I'm betting come the summer he'll have earned an improved contract.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #32: Sep 30, 2013 04:20:40 pm
      If we are in a very strong position in the league & still in the FA Cup in the new year then we should look to open talks,if not tighten the screw slightly to raise his game,providing FSG have backed him.

If we find ourselves in the same position as last season then we should wait till his last season.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #33: Sep 30, 2013 04:25:08 pm
      Well, we've all seen how a change of managers in the league this season can F**k up a club true and proper - we can't afford to do that AGAIN.

Brendan's doing a good job so far, and lets remember he's only been here a year, so as he stamps his authority on the club and moulds it into his club they will only get better.

Exciting attractive football on offer and this is the way forward in the modern game.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #34: Sep 30, 2013 05:05:15 pm
      well he is there just behind Wengie.. ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013 05:22:07 pm by carragerrard »
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #35: Sep 30, 2013 05:18:03 pm
      Long-term vision, he's clearly putting together a good young squad. Can't see many available alternatives in the current climate. For those who voted no, who would you hire instead?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #36: Sep 30, 2013 05:30:43 pm
      Well he's doing a fantastic job, but I'm not sure it's necessary really to extend the contract at this stage unless someone else is sniffing around. Naturally to mention a new contract for him infuriates the Rafa love in people because it effectively postpones the date when we can have the next mass "pine in". As it is though, although it seems everyone in football apart from a section of our fanbase recognises the great job our manager is doing, it doesn't seem to me to be likely he'll walk out. Leave it till the end of the season, then do it.

You're as bad as anyone when it comes to Rafa obsessiveness, Mick!

Rogers definitely deserves a new contract and Rafa wouldn't leave Napoli anyway.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #37: Sep 30, 2013 05:40:24 pm
      I would wait until the end of the season.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #38: Sep 30, 2013 05:41:21 pm
      I would wait until the end of the season.

Ditto
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Sep 30, 2013 05:43:13 pm
      The only reason to give him an extension would be to stop others sniffing around him. If we're at the point we can't even keep our manager then I'd be quite shocked indeed.

Otherwise the end of this season is the right time to discuss extending his contract.

For those saying he's doing a fantastic job really does make me cringe. Fantastic is winning things, fantastic is massive improvement in the league, fantastic is every signing hitting the ground running and making an enormous impact, fantastic is turning games around with tactical substitutions, Brendan is not doing fantastic but he is steadily improving.

His transfers appear to be 50% good 50% bad at an early stage assessment, that on a long run average is considered good.
      His substitutions are generally pretty poor, needs to improve on this aspect.
      His youth development has not proven to be anything of note as yet, despite many words to the contrary, we haven't had one of the young lads come in and really make a mark.
      His past performance in the league was average when compared to recent years.
      His performances in the cups is diabolical.
      His media handling is excellent.
      His soundbites are poor.
      His start to this league campaign judged on performances is questionable.
      His start to the league on results is outstanding though and that beats any argument regarding performances.

That is not fantastic, let's see how we get on through until christmas, let's see how the January transfer window goes and let's see how we finish this league campaign before we start extending contracts of someone who has yet to prove anything significant other than the reduction of the wage bill. Then, when we're sitting in 4th or above, or we have the F.A. Cup in the trophy cabinet can we think about extending his contract.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #40: Sep 30, 2013 05:48:41 pm
      No he doesn't deserve an extension. Over the Summer, many fans were calling him Fenway's bi*ch. He is highly inexperienced, hasn't achieved much, and hasn't done anything to show he's "one of us". We all know who our manager should be. Even our 2nd choice. And 8th.

He's a classic "corporate soccer brand" manager. Submissive, full of (bad) soundbites, hyped up with no apparent reason for the hype. Cares a lot for being seen in gay bars. Not so much for ensuring our money is made available for players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Sep 30, 2013 05:52:02 pm

Take it the Rafa line was for me as it was me who mentioned Rafa.

So I'll set the record straight to save you making assumptions.

I don't Pine for Rafa or a period where I can long for him.

IF after three years and there is no clear signs of progress under Rodgers  and were still gaining 6/7th place finishes whilst Rafa is doing well in Italy and the Champions League, then I'd turn to Rafa plain and simple, its not longing for him, its not pining for him, its all about the success of our club and progression and if Rodgers can't achieve it and our 6 years out of the top European competition makes us a less of a draw to top managers, there is one TOP manager who'd walk over hot coals to put us back where we belong and that's Rafael Benitez.

Like him or loathe him Mick, if Rodgers failed what would you rather a Top Manager with a proven pedigree or another 3 year experiment with a young and up coming manager ?

We can't afford to have another 3 year experiment if Rodgers fails, plain and simple as if his replacement fails that's 9 year out of the top European competition making us less of a draw for both Managers and Players, I'll say that again, 9 years, almost a decade.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #42: Sep 30, 2013 05:58:20 pm
      No he doesn't deserve an extension. Over the Summer, many fans were calling him Fenway's bi*ch. He is highly inexperienced, hasn't achieved much, and hasn't done anything to show he's "one of us". We all know who our manager should be. Even our 2nd choice. And 8th.

He's a classic "corporate soccer brand" manager. Submissive, full of (bad) soundbites, hyped up with no apparent reason for the hype. Cares a lot for being seen in gay bars. Not so much for ensuring our money is made available for players.

Not sure what you've done to prove you are 'one of us' all you seem to do is bi*ch and moan about anything and everything you can.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Sep 30, 2013 05:58:31 pm

What the f**k?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #44: Sep 30, 2013 06:03:29 pm
      Not sure what you've done to prove you are 'one of us' all you seem to do is bi*ch and moan about anything and everything you can.

Calm down Brend, you nearly gave yourself away there... ;)

I'm not a fan of him. I'm not gonna demand he's sacked or anything. Because Fenway would love that.
      But I'm of the opinion that the Liverpool job should be earned, by prior results. I mean.. we're Liverpool, not Fulham, not Villa.

I think I'm with most fans in that perspective. Wouldn't you agree?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Sep 30, 2013 06:11:50 pm

Calm down Brend, you nearly gave yourself away there... ;)

I'm not a fan of him. I'm not gonna demand he's sacked or anything. Because Fenway would love that.
      But I'm of the opinion that the Liverpool job should be earned, by prior results. I mean.. we're Liverpool, not Fulham, not Villa.

I think I'm with most fans in that perspective. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, shanks had a brilliant managerial record before managing us, as did Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #46: Sep 30, 2013 06:16:41 pm
      Yeah, shanks had a brilliant managerial record before managing us, as did Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish.

Yeah we were bottom of League Div 2 when Shanks signed.  And will be again,if it was left to people like you.

And the other 3 proved themselves to their superiors over many years, and learnt the best ways from as close quarters as humanly possible.

What did Rodgers do? Ahh yes, he kept Swansea up.... :roll:  This year's flavour of the month, did notthing to prove himself, submissive to American profiteers.  Even Martinez told em to shove the job.

So yeah, great comparison...NOT
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #47: Sep 30, 2013 06:19:20 pm

Yeah we were bottom of League Div 2 when Shanks signed.  And will be again,if it was left to people like you.

And the other 3 proved themselves to their superiors over many years, and learnt the best ways from as close quarters as humanly possible.

What did Rodgers do? Ahh yes, he kept Swansea up.... :roll:  This year's flavour of the month, did notthing to prove himself, submissive to American profiteers.  Even Martinez told em to shove the job.

It's exactly the right comparison, given that you were talking about management experience, but now you try and move the goalposts because you are wrong and looking like a tit as you yet again try to re-write history to suit an agenda.

kids all over the world wearing pepe shirts my arse.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #48: Sep 30, 2013 06:19:35 pm

How absurd, comparing LFC managers with LFC managers.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #49: Sep 30, 2013 06:22:54 pm
      I would wait until the end of the season too.

I have a question tho if anyone can help.
      If another team came in for him can we just tell them to feck off as he's under contract or is it a case of  if he wants to go, they pay compensation, and we have no choice? (Leaving aside the obvious argument of not wanting a manager who wants to be at another club).

edit; That last bit sounds like Rafa at the chavs.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #50: Sep 30, 2013 06:26:52 pm
      I would wait until the end of the season too.

I have a question tho if anyone can help.
      If another team came in for him can we just tell them to feck off as he's under contract or is it a case of  if he wants to go, they pay compensation, and we have no choice? (Leaving aside the obvious argument of not wanting a manager who wants to be at another club).

edit; That last bit sounds like Rafa at the chavs.

If he's under contract, the other club pay compo.
      I don't know if they buy out the remainder of his contract, or what the legal ins and outs are.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #51: Sep 30, 2013 06:30:14 pm
      If he's under contract, the other club pay compo.
      I don't know if they buy out the remainder of his contract, or what the legal ins and outs are.

Can we refuse tho?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #52: Sep 30, 2013 06:38:41 pm

Yes, as long as he's under contract.
      The only problem comes if he wants to go.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #53: Sep 30, 2013 06:41:35 pm
      Yes, as long as he's under contract.
      The only problem comes if he wants to go.

OK, cleared that up. Cheers mate.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #54: Sep 30, 2013 06:58:36 pm

Put down the shovel, that hole is deep enough
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #55: Sep 30, 2013 07:20:16 pm
      American Plant have you had a company/business bought out & asset stripped ala Wall Street Gordon Gekko by FSG/John Henry?
      Because that's the impression you give fella.

Making Brendan Rogers out to be some sort of arse licking bi*ch just makes you look very strange mate.

Most Reds here in Liverpool think Brendan is doing a very good job & believe it or not most think the same about FSG/John Henry..

No one i know thinks the way about FSG/HENRY the way you do your attitude to them seems personal.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #56: Sep 30, 2013 07:38:51 pm
      Is Henry's fit bird your ex Americano
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #57: Sep 30, 2013 07:50:08 pm
      I don't think there is any need to be rushing Rodgers into a new deal, if we're still sitting in 2nd place come the new year then maybe start the conversation but we've got a long way to go and it's still very early doors in his reign.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #58: Sep 30, 2013 08:42:36 pm

For the record, who should our manager be? And would he have us any higher in the league?

I could give a F**k less about BRs sound bites, Alex Ferguson was the biggest w**ker in the history of interviews, closely followed by Wenger and Clough!
      did Scum fans hive a sh*t? Not as long as he was bringing success.

He might not be the man you want, but he is our man. I think you're being a little too disrespectful mate.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #59: Sep 30, 2013 09:51:14 pm

He might not be the man you want, but he is our man.
      No, he's John Henry's man. And plenty of fans on here have said as much.
      We all know who our manager should be. AND who the 2nd choice should be.
      We also know why that man wasnt even spoken to about the job.

And as for the poster who says "FSG are doing a very good job"... I thought Jen Chang had been sacked..
      Obviously, it must be comedy hour... :roll:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #60: Sep 30, 2013 10:00:07 pm
      I thought Jen Chang had been sacked..

Which is a shame, since all round the world there were little kids saying "I want to support Liverpool, because Jen Chang works for them and he's my hero".  FSG out.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #61: Sep 30, 2013 10:01:16 pm
      Which is a shame, since all round the world there were little kids saying "I want to support Liverpool, because Jen Chang works for them and he's my hero".  FSG out.

Nice one Diego :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #62: Sep 30, 2013 10:10:17 pm
      No extension yet unless as has been said other clubs are sniffing around.

If we are where we are now come May then I'd be happy with a decent extension. Maybe even up to 5 years.

If we qualify for CL or even Europa then I'd still say he's done enough to get an extension and build on what he started.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #63: Sep 30, 2013 10:48:06 pm
      No, he's John Henry's man. And plenty of fans on here have said as much.
      We all know who our manager should be. AND who the 2nd choice should be.
      We also know why that man wasnt even spoken to about the job
      What? Are you the spokesperson for the entire Liverpool family now?
      Sure everyone loves Rafa, but not everyone thinks he should be manager again.
      If he was, i'd fully support him, but Brendans here and he'll get all my support.
      A manager should be judged on results and silverware, not by wether are not he stands up to the owners, that's between him and them.
      BR wants this club to be successful again, he'll do his best to make that happen, that's all I can ask from The Boss.
      If he fails then thanks for trying Brendan, goodbye and good luck.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #64: Sep 30, 2013 11:38:53 pm
      well he is there just behind Wengie.. ;D

Rodgers is Rossi.
      Wenger is Stoner.
      AVB is Lorenzo.
      Mourinho is Pedrosa.
      Pellegrini is on a Suzuki, probably Vermuelen.
      Moyes is Toseland.

What the F**k do I win?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Sep 30, 2013 11:42:02 pm
      Cares a lot for being seen in gay bars.

You sir are a F***ing knob end.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #66: Oct 01, 2013 12:36:58 am
      Quoted the wrong guy there mate, it was AmericanPlant who posted that.

Don't think he deserves one, we've achieved nothing yet, the time to judge is May, but I assume FSG won't take the cups performance into consideration, which have been disappointing thus far, but hopefully we go well in the FA Cup.

Think this is just a bit of a sh*t-stirring topic really.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #67: Oct 01, 2013 07:23:15 am
      Pretty sure i didnt type that! How did you manage to get my name in another guys quote?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #68: Oct 01, 2013 09:13:47 am

@Andy
      I dislike them because they've been here 3yrs. And its been 3 years of spin, lies and bullshit. Costcuts, increased profits and their staff on the internet pretending to be fans. A smarmier version of Hicks.

I've never done business with Slippery John, altho I have been in a related field. He was always considered a bit of a bullshitter in that, albeit a successful one. Tho he was never considered to be a financier in the "premier league". It was more about a poor service, marketed well. He then made so much money, he was able to get other people to do the job that he wasn't actually very good at. (It would be interesting to see how much he's actually made from sports. In comparison to his claim that his wealth was from finance, not sport). Ofcourse things unravelled eventually with JWHenry Futures...

At the end of the day, he chose to F**k over my club. So as a Liverpool fan, I take that personally.Maybe some here arent Liverpool fans?

A manager should be judged on results and silverware

Agreed. Now whats Rodgers won again?

Think this is just a bit of a sh*t-stirring topic really.

Exactly. Interesting the thread was started by the Yanksters' biggest apologist...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #69: Oct 01, 2013 09:46:17 am
      Pretty sure i didnt type that! How did you manage to get my name in another guys quote?

Odd one that.
      At least you know it was aimed at someone else. :D
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #70: Oct 01, 2013 09:52:09 am

I'll let you know when he finished winning them!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #71: Oct 01, 2013 10:32:54 am
      @Andy
      I dislike them because they've been here 3yrs. And its been 3 years of spin, lies and bullshit. Costcuts, increased profits and their staff on the internet pretending to be fans. A smarmier version of Hicks.

I've never done business with Slippery John, altho I have been in a related field. He was always considered a bit of a bullshitter in that, albeit a successful one. Tho he was never considered to be a financier in the "premier league". It was more about a poor service, marketed well. He then made so much money, he was able to get other people to do the job that he wasn't actually very good at. (It would be interesting to see how much he's actually made from sports. In comparison to his claim that his wealth was from finance, not sport). Ofcourse things unravelled eventually with JWHenry Futures...

At the end of the day, he chose to F**k over my club. So as a Liverpool fan, I take that personally.Maybe some here arent Liverpool fans?

Exactly. Interesting the thread was started by the Yanksters' biggest apologist...

I really think you need to put some distance between Rodgers and FSG, maybe as much as the 3,000+ miles that separates them presently.
      His appointment was an amazing stroke of luck for the owners.
      The brief for the manager they required was at first glance an impossible post to accommodate.
      FSG wanted success in the hardest football league in the world while cutting costs and limiting expenditure, Brendan Rodgers with some luck and considerably more skill has delivered, some would say against the odds.
      It is rather curmudgeonly to detract from his achievements thus far, any failings in the longer term would be fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the owners who refuse to make provision for any extended period.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #72: Oct 01, 2013 10:38:42 am
      It is rather curmudgeonly to detract from his achievements thus far, any failings in the longer term would be fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the owners who refuse to make provision for any extended period.

Holy F***ing Comolli Stuey lad :D

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #73: Oct 01, 2013 10:50:29 am

Thought you'd like that one Dave.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #74: Oct 01, 2013 10:58:43 am
      It surprises me how low everybody rates stability.
      Who are this everybody you speak of Boston? I mean; what are you basing that weird assumption on?  :o

I believe that; if you take time to read back, over the past two years, for example, that the overwhelming majority of Liverpool fans crave stability.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #75: Oct 01, 2013 11:12:49 am
      Who are this everybody you speak of Boston? I mean; what are you basing that weird assumption on?  :o

I believe that; if you take time to read back, over the past two years, for example, that the overwhelming majority of Liverpool fans crave stability.

Exactly. Especially as we had 4 managers in 4 years before Rodgers which led to nothing but turbulence and some of the worst times for Liverpool in the modern era.

I think Rodgers is doing a decent job, can't say he's done brilliantly but with the resources he's had (in comparison to rivals) he has done well. Don't think a new contract should be mentioned just yet, maybe at the end of the season judging from our results.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #76: Oct 01, 2013 11:13:33 am

It is rather curmudgeonly to detract from his achievements thus far,
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #77: Oct 01, 2013 02:43:25 pm
      Based on this yes...2013 calendar year league table....

Leading the way: Arsenal have won the most points so far in 2013 height=118
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #78: Oct 01, 2013 02:45:09 pm
      wait until the end of the season. Don't want another pardew type scenario
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #79: Oct 01, 2013 04:54:55 pm
      And as for the poster who says "FSG are doing a very good job"... I thought Jen Chang had been sacked..
      Obviously, it must be comedy hour... :roll:

And what a shock, you're doing the encore.  :D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #80: Oct 01, 2013 05:27:02 pm
      he has 2 years left so no he doesn't and if he doesn't get the support that a top four manager needs he might not want another one anyway
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #81: Oct 01, 2013 07:55:29 pm
      he has 2 years left so no he doesn't and if he doesn't get the support that a top four manager needs he might not want another one anyway

Correct !!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #82: Oct 01, 2013 08:24:42 pm
      Unfortunately this isn't as simple as sack him or back him. The problem with Liverpool as I see it now is a lack of leeway built in to their transfer policy. Broadly I'm in agreement with it but when you refuse to stump up an extra two or thee million quid in order to sign a player that shows your club has real ambition then it doesn't really matter who is in charge.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #83: Oct 01, 2013 08:33:54 pm
      Don't know why this is a topic. Way too early to say weather he deserves a new contract. End of this season is time enough to be even discussing this.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #84: Oct 04, 2013 09:35:54 pm
      I think towards the end of the season it should be discussed, and yes, if he's got the team in a reasonable position, within touch of a top 4 place. But only 2 years. Managers with long contracts get complacent and generally seem to cock things up. 2 years at a time, reviewed on results and circumstances, will keep the manager on his toes.
      Can't publicly flog him if he fails to get a top 4 if the board haven't backed him. That will be determined in Jan really.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #85: Oct 07, 2013 04:23:56 pm
      Quote :We can't afford to have another 3 year experiment if Rodgers fails, plain and simple as if his replacement fails that's 9 year out of the top European competition making us less of a draw for both Managers and Players, I'll say that again, 9 years, almost a decade.

Whoever wrote that, it's scary thinking that.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #86: Oct 07, 2013 06:53:59 pm
      some of you are really funny... in other threads you would post about mercenary players.. lack of loyalty to our club.. etc etc.. but here in this thread, we have a manager that is doing his very best for us.. showing signs of success...  that truly looks like he is at home with our club and respects everything about the reds... gets the whole YNWA spirit and you're hesitant to even contemplate the idea of giving him a contract extension so he can have peace of mind. 

This season is still in its infancy but look at how we have progressed.  we play for the most part (first 45 minutes at least)... attractive football.  We're winning games and we're doing it with a much thinner squad than our top 6 counterparts.  You can see BR is gaining confidence... I for one really liked what he said after the crystal palace game, that he wasnt happy about the way the squad played regardless of winning.  He's now stepping up his ambitions.  Imagine we give him some real resources to buy real quality players...  we will definitely be able to achieve alot more.

I've said it time and time again... fame and legends are built over years.   BR has shown he deserves this spot, he's clever with the balance of youth and experience.  I hope success continues with us and him.... and he has a long career with the club.

As for a contract extension.. I would not be surprised to hear about something come new year if we are still challenging for top 4

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #87: Oct 10, 2013 10:51:03 am
      If he delivers a top 4 finish until then we keep him on his current contract, think he's still got two years left on it including this one?

little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #88: Oct 10, 2013 11:00:38 am
      Altho he is not doing the worst job yet, I've been content enough with his performance as manager so far. He has took over us at an awful time in our history, and has brought us up the league it can be argued. He has totally transformed the squad in his time here. Some of his transfers have been brilliant, fitting straight into the team while some have been ok-ish, with others just being terrible (so far). The transfer record is still hit & miss.

On the pitch, we have seen 2 stages of Brendan's career at Liverpool. An initial 6 months of us playing under his philosophy of keeping the ball, passing, death by football. And then 10 months now of more direct football, while trying to still adhere to the initial philosophy of passing football. This new style has brought a better points return but whether the boss is happy with leaving his roots is another question. Our league position has improved, significantly, after a dreadful start. Cups have been a right off overall, baring a brief run in the Europa League.

As I said, overall I am content with his job. I wouldn't offer him a new contract yet but that could all change come May. I would like to see him here in the long run. But he should earn that right to be here longer, not get it on the basis of just keeping a boss to have the same man here long term.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #89: Oct 10, 2013 11:13:39 am
      Knee-jerk thread if ever there was one.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #90: Oct 13, 2013 12:05:19 am
      Quote :We can't afford to have another 3 year experiment if Rodgers fails, plain and simple as if his replacement fails that's 9 year out of the top European competition making us less of a draw for both Managers and Players, I'll say that again, 9 years, almost a decade.

Whoever wrote that, it's scary thinking that.

That was me and it is scary, if Rodgers fails then we have to get our next appointment right, that's why we shouldn't just go throwing long contracts about as long contracts = big pay offs if the wheels fall off, judge Rodgers at the end of the season, if he secures top 4 then he certainly deserves one, if not see how he does the following season.

Rodgers is at one the biggest clubs in the world so can't see him leaving for just any job so were pretty safe letting him get down to his final year in my opinion, if he wanted to leave it would have to be a club like Chelsea, City where he'd have more money than we could ever offer and the truth is regardless of contract length, if he wanted to go to a club with those riches he'd be off in a shot anyway.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #91: Oct 13, 2013 03:30:40 am
      If he isn't bad mouthing past managers, speaking ill towards our fans and doesn't rub his face, give him a 10 year contract for all I care.

But seriously, not sure what else he could be doing to not deserve our support and in turn a contract extension. But I've never been a fan of doing it mid season.

I really like him. Love his attitude and adaptability. He just "fits". So if things are going just as well in July then sign him up. If not then he has another season to convince.

I'd love to see his fantasy Liverpool team. A squad of players of his choosing and with a decent budget. Reckon he'd win the league within three seasons. Trust him with my life on the transfer business side of things.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #92: Oct 13, 2013 04:46:38 am
      if he wanted to go to a club with those riches he'd be off in a shot anyway.

Mind reader now are we?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #93: Oct 13, 2013 08:28:11 am
      If he isn't bad mouthing past managers, speaking ill towards our fans and doesn't rub his face, give him a 10 year contract for all I care.

Hahaha that alone is reason for an extended contract, there must be a stipulation Woy's England contract that the face rubbing is a sackable offence 'cos he don't do it no more.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #94: Oct 13, 2013 10:01:22 am
      That was me and it is scary, if Rodgers fails then we have to get our next appointment right, that's why we shouldn't just go throwing long contracts about as long contracts = big pay offs if the wheels fall off, judge Rodgers at the end of the season, if he secures top 4 then he certainly deserves one, if not see how he does the following season.

Rodgers is at one the biggest clubs in the world so can't see him leaving for just any job so were pretty safe letting him get down to his final year in my opinion, if he wanted to leave it would have to be a club like Chelsea, City where he'd have more money than we could ever offer and the truth is regardless of contract length, if he wanted to go to a club with those riches he'd be off in a shot anyway.

Agree,
      But not sure those big money clubs would gamble hiring a young unproven manager,
      IMO this club is Brendan's pinnacle, he is already at the 'biggest challenge' club managers like to have on their CV,

What or where is there another club like ours, we are unique , we have a history second to none, of course you have your Barcelona's, RM's, B Munich, Citeh, etc those clubs with zillions to spend, but we have never had that sort of wealth doubt we ever will,

That's not in our DNA, I see Rogers as a long term manager , but at the moment he is still cutting his teeth, as much as I love what he is doing and the way we are heading it will mean F**k all if he doesn't reach CL and that includes this season,

I doubt JWH & co will panic and treat him like he did with the King, but it would seriously dent FSG's belief in him, I think by the time may comes around we will all know if a extended contract is deserved,

We have only two competitions to go for 3 if you consider 4th a achievement, I don't, failure leaves us potless again, not a complete disaster but disappointing none the less,
      So I agree with 'Blood', let's just wait and see where we're at in May.

YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #95: Oct 13, 2013 10:28:03 am

Read what I said 'if he wanted to go to a club with those riches he'd be off in a shot anyway.'

The clue is in 'IF HE WANTED', doesn't take a mind reader to say 'if he wanted' to go, he'd go.
      « Last Edit: Oct 13, 2013 10:33:14 am by RedLFCBlood »
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #96: Oct 13, 2013 11:42:05 am
      Why has the forum gone squashed on the I phone?????
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #97: Oct 13, 2013 02:53:21 pm
      Why has the forum gone squashed on the I phone?????

Think it's on all smart phones mate, does it on my S3 too.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #98: Oct 13, 2013 03:52:41 pm
      It's sh*t:-(

Quick Reply