Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      40 (26%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (0.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (4.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (1.9%)
      Victor Moses
      7 (4.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      62 (40.3%)
      Luis Suarez
      31 (20.1%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Voting closed: Oct 03, 2013 05:58:22 pm

Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Pleasure

Read 26440 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Pleasure
      Reply #368: Sep 29, 2013 08:55:08 pm
      Yes, well reading half the negative crap on this site would make anyone lose faith in everything. Seems as if some fans love moaning. I thought Liverpool were excellent once Sunderland scored, it seems as 'fans' on this site are looking for any excuse to belittle Rodgers.

Dead right. Stayed away from this forum for much of last week because of it. Some of it is justified but the majority is unjustified.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #369: Sep 29, 2013 08:56:58 pm
      I thought we did better in the 2nd half than the first!

Great win and a good 3 points. Toure was immense and so was Sturridge and Suarez!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #370: Sep 29, 2013 08:57:50 pm
      Mate it wasn't that bad!!!!

After the Sunderland goal I thought liverpool were brilliant personally.

I agree.....responded well and really handled themselves well  under a lot of pressure from Sunderland. Took advantage of Sunderland going for the equalizer to hit back on the counter with deadly efficiency. Good performance today, thought their performance was much more inspired than the one midweek against the Scum.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #371: Sep 29, 2013 09:03:31 pm
      I can't believe people think we were crap today , Sunderland were fighting for survival , we would have lost that game last season and well before that as well . The fact we took all 3pts says we are improving .Soaking up the pressure much more than last season too we are .
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #372: Sep 29, 2013 09:09:03 pm
      My luck continued to flourish, all the games I created we won.

Well done to SaS, Toure.

Brilliant result. What more can I ask? :D
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #373: Sep 29, 2013 09:09:09 pm
      Sakho , Skrtel and Toure looking more disiplined across the back and their link up play turning defence into attack was a lot crisper and looks to have more understanding..
      Lucas's tally of Yellows so far has to me, been harsh as they've pretty much all been solid footy tackles..Tackles, we as fans want him to be doing week in week out...and he is always first in to the Ref's face when we need him to be..even more than our bloody captain..so i'm gutted for him...thought he played so much better today than in the last 2 games , can Joe Allen take his chance?
      Suarez IS the difference though...Like him or not.. he's world class.. and he's back on blob !!.. apart from the lack of one or two split seconds of sharpness he loved every minute of being out there today...In fact he was that confident he even changed his top under his shirt at half time knowing full well he was gonna score again !! how cool is that...
      3 Points and 2nd in the league with , to me , only Arsenal looking dangerous.....oh and Man U sat 12th ;D.. funny how they've all gone quiet all of a sudden...
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #374: Sep 29, 2013 09:11:42 pm
       Unbelievable experience, I was stuck in with the Sunderland fans but I could still hear ours  and to get the win just topped it all off.  ;D

I thought our front 3 were an absolute joy to watch, Stevie was pure class at times but really doesnt have the engine for the position hes played in imo.

What a day. :)
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #375: Sep 29, 2013 09:13:37 pm
      Not a great performance at all. Hoping injuries is the driving factor for deferring from the possession "tika taka" style football to the low back line defensive counter attacking style we have had for the past few matches. Not sexy but got the result today. Really missing Coutinho and Johnson. Our right flank was so weak today, thought Henderson was very poor in the final 1/4. Weak crosses and never finding his target. I know he is out of position and works his nut off but Hendo really needs to up his game, take some risks and be much more aggressive with the ball. All too safe and predictable from him.
      Otherwise no one really played that well bar maybe Skrtel, tough day at the office for himself against Altidore and equited himself excellently. My MOTM.

Thought Sturridge and Suarez looked great and can see us getting bags of goals all season through them two, especially when Coutinho is back. Bar the 3 points, it was the only positive from today.

All in all I think we are very lucky to be in 2nd position and our current form is far off what it can/needs to be.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #376: Sep 29, 2013 09:13:59 pm
      So.

2 points from top.

Can't wait to see what kind of run we could go on if
      Johnson, Agger, Cissokho & Coutinho and the squad stays fit.

That flat feeling people are feeling,
      it's the fear of seeing the worst happen.
      It was probably justified today, wondering
      was the team going to continue this season's
      2nd half drop off.

We did switch off at the start of the 2nd half, again,
      which was incredibly frustrating, but this time it seemed
      to kick us into life.

I'm loving Suarez and Sturridge.
      its
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #377: Sep 29, 2013 09:19:39 pm
      3 points is 3 points the game itself a bit closer than the score would suggest, Kolo and O Shea had a fare tussle today another ref may have given a pen on more than one occasion .The Lucas booking was always going to happen ,the fact they moved 25 yards to the edge of our box without a challenge from the resulting free kick   is another story ,as I say 3 good points against a team who could have sneaked a draw IMHO
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #378: Sep 29, 2013 09:29:57 pm
      Really makes me wonder what Brendan says at half time that makes us come out for the second half almost asleep. Maybe he doesn't say anything.... just passes around a couple of those funny cigs. Thankfully today once we had conceded we woke up and dug in.

Thought Skrtel, Toure , Sturridge and Suarez were the pick of the bunch, with Skrtel getting my m.o.t.m. for dealing with a very difficult player very well. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #379: Sep 29, 2013 09:37:46 pm
      We're making a habbit of winning ugly and in particular, wining ugly o the road which is a great habbit to get into. I voted Sturridge my MOTM because of his hand in all three goals but have to echo the comments already made about Big Kolo, the guy is an absolute beast and is for me one of our most important players.

Also, I have to say it was dissapointing so many posters questioning the merits of our first 3 wins as soon as we hit a bumpy couple of games, it was as if we somehow fluked the early games.

Great start to the season and we're set up nicely to be up there or thereabouts from until Chrimbo with the points we already have in the bag.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #380: Sep 29, 2013 10:51:01 pm
      Well played boys not pretty but three points after most of our rivals dropped points is excellent work,tbh I thought we'd balls this up,new manager in,team looking to impress and all that,bit ugly but beautifull aswell.:-)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #381: Sep 30, 2013 12:46:16 am
      Lots of positives to be taken from that, especially the continued fight after concedeing. Much better than it has been. Although we're in second, and I'm made up with that, I'm somehow still not conviced we are VERY good side. We do have a decent spine, and two quality strikers, but there are too many players who only produce anything of quality in very small moments of the game. Not enough consistency. Moses, what an idle b***ard he is. Walking through the middle of the park when the oposition has the ball heading towards our box. Makes little or no attempt to get back and help cover. And Henderson, although he's been decent recently due to his continued effort and energy. Sorry son, effort will never overcome quality. Pretty poor today. Toure and Skrtel solid. Mig, a few decent saves and a few wobbles as well. Everyone else, done a job and didn't drop off the pace after their goal. Hopefully another 3 points next week, and we do need Coutinho back, he could make the difference with both strikers on the field with him. Looking forward to that.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #382: Sep 30, 2013 01:15:46 am
      Good win, 3 points, 2nd from top after 6 weeks. Skrtel good again, Toure top notch, Sakho starting to fit in. And best of all, Suarez is back with a bang and clicking with Sturridge.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #383: Sep 30, 2013 01:53:27 am
      I said after the match it was a bad performance from us despite a good result. But thinking back on it, I don't think it was all that bad to be honest.

It wasn't so much because of the football itself we played, but because of the whole emotional aspect of the match. Sunderland were always going to be coming out storming and the crowd was always going to back their team to the hilt. With a new manager in, they had the complete "feel good" factor going for them -- which means all of the pressure was on us in this one as they had nothing to lose. They looked pretty good, but most importantly we weathered the inevitable storm that was going to come in this one. I think that's a really progressive sign from us, especially at a ground we tend to struggle at.

Then once they scored, we gained some composure and finished the match off. That's a solid road victory in the Premier League.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #384: Sep 30, 2013 02:32:41 am
      A good result against a side who were pumped today and had a point to prove. Sunderland's goal made us play a bit in the second half and we were rewarded with a 3rd goal in the second half!

Special mention to Kolo, great purchase that. And Sahko is coming on well too, we have some real presence back there now with aerially dominant CB's.

Sturridge and Suarez, wow! Best forward combo in the league IMO.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #385: Sep 30, 2013 03:10:06 am
      A good result against a side who were pumped today and had a point to prove. Sunderland's goal made us play a bit in the second half and we were rewarded with a 3rd goal in the second half!

Special mention to Kolo, great purchase that. And Sahko is coming on well too, we have some real presence back there now with aerially dominant CB's.

Sturridge and Suarez, wow! Best forward combo in the league IMO.

All 3 CBs played well today. Mignolet had a couple of mishaps though. But so be it, he saved our bacon on several occasions. With S&S getting some game time together now it will only get better. Some of the bigger teams will be on their toes when they face us. We have some winnable games coming up before we lay Arsenal. Would be great to be right up there.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #386: Sep 30, 2013 05:20:24 am
      results first performances second. 3 points well placed in the league winnable games coming up.
      This all day long, concentrate on the positives when we win and not the negatives. Sturridge and Suarez working in unison, Johnson and Coutinho to come back in Everything's Rosie from where I am !
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #387: Sep 30, 2013 07:10:28 am
       I have not seen the match yet but there is delayed coverage on television in 50 minutes time.I look forward to it in view of the result. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #388: Sep 30, 2013 07:12:36 am
      Really pleased with the three points. The last few seasons wed have lost this game. We havent been as good as towards the end of last season but F**k it we are picking up points and are two points off top. If we keep chipping away and we get the lads back from injury the performances will improve.
      The only thing im not happy with is we arent pressing teams as much as we used to and are very slow to close players down. That is a concern for me.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #389: Sep 30, 2013 07:24:13 am
      Gave Sturridge man of the match purely because he contributed to every goal whether he scored or got the assist. Kolo Toure though was a beast yesterday and was more than worthy of the votes he has received for his performance.

5 goals and 2-3 assists in 6 games for Sturridge and 2 goals in 1 game for Suarez is looking good
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #390: Sep 30, 2013 08:01:10 am
      Great result, and as I said in the pre-match thread, never easy to play a team after the manager is sacked.

One of the most important aspects of Suarez playing again is with opposition players drawn to him, the space that opens up for others. 

Thought we played ok without dominating, but having that bit of quality that makes the difference.  With results going the way they are we are capitalising, and sit in a good position, for a team who have not yet played to our full potential.  I for one am happy with the season start.  Winning games is what matters, how you win them comes second for me.

Quick Reply